PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Race report 1.4.06

FROSTY
2nd April 2006, 09:33
What a fantastic day it was yesterday. Dawning a little misty but with clear blue skies and little wind. Wow this is perfect racing weather.
Dougal and I got through the legal beagle stuff pretty quickly and then gave the bikes a bit of a once over.
At AMCC races you only get one practice which doubles as qualifying.(determining your grid position)
So From engine fire up you need to be in race mode.
I decided I wanted clear track in front of me so I shot out of the pits like a bull at a gate. Right behind me was KK on TS's mighty zxr400.
We have 10 minutes practice and during that time you need to lay down the fastest lap you can.
I picked up the pace to what felt like 1minute six second laps and at one stage looked back to see no sighn of KK.
But reality hurt -I qualified in 4th place with a 1.10 second best lap. Proof positive you need to stay focussed right from lap one.

First race and I saw the starters arm twitch so I poured on the gas--Ooops a bit early and had to stop again -just as I stopped he dropped the flag.-result --another frosty shocking start.
Into turn 1 and Im in fourth place behind KK and stu dawe.For 3 laps it was an all out dogfight with any one of the three of us being in front.
Id scream on up to the other two through the esses after jennian into castrol and get a tiny gap. Then KK would dive on past underneath me into the hairpin. Stu got better drive being outside us and would dive on past both of us. Corner after corner this went on
Slowly KK and I pulled away from stu and it was a two way battle.
I saw KK was still struggling with a bike he wasn't familiar with and managed to out run him round castrol and pulled enough of a gap to stay in front right to the finish line. WOOHOOO I punched the air I was well pleased with that --and better to come --I posted an official PB (personal best lap time) of 1.08.05. (one minute eight point zero five seconds

Second race and I had a better start but then so did KK. Now he was better aquainted with the bike and we picked the pace up a bit. This was just a pure two way battle with both of us trying to avoid being drafted (thats when you literally tow the other bike along) and riding defensively to stop the other passing easily.
It came down literally to the last series of corners before the flag. I was behind KK but drafting him. He gave me a tow up through turn 6 and over the hill.I bust free of him on the crest of the hill. It was a straight out drag race to the line.Goldarn it that 400 is quick.I beat KK by maybee 300mm.
(yup one foot) So another win --but soo sooo close --
More fantastic news -I posted another PB of 1.07.45 Yehaa Im officially in the 1.07's
Last race of the day and I actually got a not bad start.I knew darn well KK wanted to win real bad but then so did I.
Right from lap 1 it was down to KK and I so we had a whole race to sort out who was faster. I lost count of how many times we swapped places during that 6 laps Id catch KK over the hill and through the esses but he stayed on the gas about 30m longer into the hairpin and got back on the gas a tiny bit quicker than me. everywhere else we were evenly matched.
Man it was just fantastic racing.
It was so close it once again came down to a drag race to the line.I was on the right KK on the left as we crossed the line. Neither of us had a clue who had actually won the race.
I made a bit of a mistake heading to the line In trying to get as much of a tow off of KK as I could I "leaned " on him as we were crossing the line and he had to pull to the left to avoid me.
Result being on the video I won by a knats whisker. But quite rightly they gave the win to KK.
Apsolutely fantastic race that one. KK and I both posted in the 1.07's with me now down to regular high 1.07 and one 1.07.29
I had a great days racing thanks folks.
I gotta say now I was really Impressed by a few peoples riding.
First and foremost KK.-man dude that was a heck of an ask -learning a new bike in practice then riding the wheels off it all day. He scared the beegeebers outa me with little fireworks displays ever time he went round the hairpin.-the fireworks were from the exhaust scrapeing on the deck.
DSS3 --4th place in formula auckland. Bloody stunning.
But to me the star was young Vtec - On a lil 250 four stroke and at a track known to be a horsepower track he did himself proud.
Comeon guys lets hear your reports
Thanks again to my team mates who were there for me all day -Madduck and doogal.
Thanks to all the KBers who urned up to marshal.
Just a little note--There was a ducati 900 out on the track with us.He took off in front of us riding reallly well.
He was allowed on the track but he diddn't get points.

cowpoos
2nd April 2006, 09:52
good stuff man...congrats on the wins....and dam good write up....!!!

SixPackBack
2nd April 2006, 09:58
Man that wheezy old two valve aircooled Monster was flying eh Frosty, points or not watching that bike was the highlight of my day.
Never knew those old fashioned motors could scoot along so quickly.

Hey Frosty you did well, looking a lot more focused and comfortable at Puke as opposed to Paeroa.

Toast
2nd April 2006, 10:00
Yeah Frosty, nice write-up. Congrats on getting in to the 1:07's mate :niceone:

Colapop
2nd April 2006, 10:02
Good work Frosty, good to have it all come together and get some close racing to boot! Sounds like an awesome day.

RiderInBlack
2nd April 2006, 10:31
Totally fu*ken awesome Forsty. Where does that put ya on the points table now?
Awesome riding too KK.
Good first day out racing too Keystone.
Going to be interesting finish ta the season and the next one will be full of fun.

erik
2nd April 2006, 10:48
Nice report.
I was wondering why that ducati got so far ahead of everyone else at the race start!
Sorry I didn't get any decent pics of you this time.

babyB
2nd April 2006, 11:25
wayyy cool write-up XJ, way to go.:2thumbsup congrats to ya

lol sounds like a good battle ya all had
KK, XJ darn you've over come some hurdles along the way
my hat goes off to ya both:not:

dass looks like a darn good come back for ya ...lol must be the boots

Sparky Bills
2nd April 2006, 11:38
SHIT HOT FROSTY!
Good write up.

Im hanging out to get back racing. Reading that hasnt helped on bit!

vtec
2nd April 2006, 12:42
Damn man, thats some tight racing. Wish I could have watched it. Good on you for taking the 'leaning' ruling so well. You still got 2 out of 3 wins. And it means that kk gets one too, good for confidence.

Gazzar
2nd April 2006, 13:12
It was good sitting on the hill as a marshall and seeing you and KK so close and to see the rest like vtec / Quazi
Good writeup FROSTY:cool:

Racey Rider
2nd April 2006, 14:05
Good stuff Frosty!

Funny how much better your doing since I touched your bike to help setup the fork height at Paeroa . :corn:

Probably just coincidence. :msn-wink:

Cleve
2nd April 2006, 18:22
Good stuff Frosty. Feeling really bad here in Saudi on business reading all these reports and knowing what I missed. Back for Taupo and see you guys (and K19) that are going there.

Gremlin
2nd April 2006, 19:08
Good going, and it was fantastic viewing.

Gareth at the beginning of race 2 or 3 cheekily asked control if the duc was a 600 :laugh: But it was obvious he shouldn't be in/wasn't in the class. One hard lap and he had pulled out a decent margin.

Guys like you made the marshalling even more worth it, seeing you haul ass over the mountain :headbang:

Shade
2nd April 2006, 20:21
Nice one frosty!!!! Heard from logan you were fllllyyyinnnggg out there, awesome to seee! :)

FROSTY
2nd April 2006, 21:02
Thanks a million guys n gals. I'm still buzzing from the races.

Motoracer
3rd April 2006, 01:17
Nice one Tony, bloody good job on your 1.07s! Shit, you've gotta be happy with that.

Nice battle with KK as well. It was real good race to watch for sure.

motobob
3rd April 2006, 13:53
Awesome ride Frosty. Been a bit of a rocky road earlier for you but you sure have come out smiling aye. You and KK put on some fantastic racing, Should make Taupo an interesting meeting.

Matt Bleck
3rd April 2006, 14:16
Good on ya frosty, great write up!!

gpercivl
4th April 2006, 16:46
Good to see you having so much fun Frosty...Logan was most upset when I told him I'd given you some aluminium to make your bike go faster :lol:

FROSTY
8th April 2006, 18:00
Greg ---sok mate to put ya at ease I diddnt end up using the bit concerned :baby: