PDA

View Full Version : Dss3 Race report 1.4.06

dss3
2nd April 2006, 10:30
Well seems like the thing to do is to write up a report after your day of racing eh! So here goes,...

Was really pretty nervous at the beginning of the day, first time back on Puke since I had a pretty big crash there 5 months ago, only 2nd ever race and also first time racing on the R1, (usually race an NC30 400cc in F3 but it isn't ready to race again yet.)

So thought bugger it, better to race R1 and have fun than sit on the sidelines watching everyone else. Plus I wasn't sure whether to enter clubmans or F1 (formula auckland), decided to go to F1, so I knew that there would be some really good riders out there, was hoping not to be left too far behind, and also to learn a bit from them.

Well qualifying was really a shakedown / learning period, had to learn what gears to be in for each corner and try and find some braking points. Going from a 400 to a 1000 makes it like being on a totally different track. Also was taking it pretty gingerly over the 'hill' where I crashed. Anyway by the end of the session I was starting to feel kinda comfortable, or at least not as nervous. I had absolutely no idea what sort of lap time I would have been doing, thought it could range from a 1.03 to a 1.07.

So, getting ready for the first race, about to suit up and Whitetrash asks where I qualified, thought 'oh shit' haven't looked, after a nice run from the end of the pits down to the Jennian homes building I was blown away to see that I had a 1.03 and was in 3rd place! (no Andrew Stroud, Ray Clee and co. in attendance today) then another run back to the pits to get bike and I was shagged... but ready to race.

Race one was pretty eventful, got a reasonable start and settled into 4th place, then a guy on a K5 highsided in front of me coming out of hairpin, avoided him and thought sweet im in 3rd place but then race was red flagged. On the restarted race Nicko passed me out of the hair pin after I stuffed up a bit, then got in a pretty big slide through the next left hander, caught on camera from Quasievil too, looks pretty cool I reckon! From then on I was stoked to be racing with Nicko, I was trying to stay with him and learn his lines, making the most of him having tire trouble otherwise he would be pulling away from me into the distance. Started pushing a bit much and had a few more good slides exiting corners, decided to pull back a bit and came 4th with a 62.7 lap I think.

Rest of the day my aim was to get into the 61 second laps, Nicko, Sam Smith and some other dude where just a class ahead of me to be honest, I would slowly see them pullin 0.5-1.0 second a lap away from me, and with nobody behind me for quite a bit I just concentrated on being smoother and faster, managed a 62.3 second lap this race. Race 3 was more of the same, I had the best view in the house of the top 3 dicing it out, was awesome to see. Started to feel a lot better / smoother / faster, was hoping I had done enough to crack into the 61's but alas I was stranded on 62.01 second lap! grr!

So overall totally stoked with the day, know I can improve lap times with another day of riding there, hopefully get into mid 61's. Highlight of the day definitly riding around and (sometimes, thanks to his bad tires) keeping up with Nicko, wicked!

Now the big problem is I don't want to race the NC in F3 anymore, just want to race in F1 haha!

Cheers to everyone that helped out on the day, and read this!
C ya next time in Taupo.
Daryl.

erik
2nd April 2006, 10:41
Impressive performance :niceone:

texmo
2nd April 2006, 10:48
62 second lap fucking good stuff man.

cowpoos
2nd April 2006, 11:10
good shit bro!!!!!

bugjuice
2nd April 2006, 11:15
you were fukin flyin out there yesterday.. well done mate, hoe to be seein more!

babyB
2nd April 2006, 11:52
cool write up dss. sounds like you had a premo day and recovered well. impressive times :2thumbsup way to go

Sparky Bills
2nd April 2006, 11:56
Sounds like fun dude!
DAMN!!! I gotta stop reading these race reports! Its making me want to get out there!

The R1 looks good! You going to race it again?

nicko
2nd April 2006, 13:07
Daryl, kick-ass performance mate! You should be well proud of that effort.

Nice work dodging that high-side & from what I saw you were riding some pretty smooth lines & pushing that rear tyre as far as it would go (and more at times - thanks for letting me past out of the hairpin! :niceone: )

Hopefully see more of you out in F1 aye?!

Gazzar
2nd April 2006, 13:22
Mate you were flying over the hill and looking real good out there :rockon:

FROSTY
2nd April 2006, 13:42
Fantastic riding mate.What impressed me was how smooth and comfortable you looked. Congrats on how you placed too

HDTboy
2nd April 2006, 13:49
That was awesome to watch man, I'm the guy who congratulated you as you were leaving.

Firefight
2nd April 2006, 14:48
yeah Daryl nice to see mate, and great effort after the big off mate a few months ago, and of course doing the KB thing and helpin our baldy mate in the pits.

F/F

Two Smoker
2nd April 2006, 17:23
Wicked stuff Daryl!!! Was awesome seeing you beating Nicko in the first few laps of the first race!!! Well done on the 1:02.01!!! Wicked time for a road bike!!!

Cleve
2nd April 2006, 18:18
Fantastic and great to see a bunch of us Kiwibikers getting into/back into racing.
Am overseas on business so missed this round but will be back for Taupo. See you then.

Shade
2nd April 2006, 19:31
Thats awesome man, fantastic result for a first race in ages, and in F1 !

DEATH_INC.
2nd April 2006, 20:29
Good stuff man!
:Punk:

dss3
2nd April 2006, 20:38
Cheers for all the nice comments peeps. Although I will wait for Loosebruce to see this thread and come and hurl some abuse, wouldn't be worried if he didn't.

Going to have to check the budget now, but think the plan will be to get NC30 running good again and then sell it as an entry level racer for someone else to get into racing and have some fun. Then R1 can become a dedicated race bike, this shit is just too much fun and addictive! No matter how you do, there will always be some one better than you to aim for, and always a faster time to achieve, keeps you interested eh.

Two Smoker
2nd April 2006, 20:56
Going to have to check the budget now, but think the plan will be to get NC30 running good again and then sell it as an entry level racer for someone else to get into racing and have some fun. Then R1 can become a dedicated race bike, this shit is just too much fun and addictive! No matter how you do, there will always be some one better than you to aim for, and always a faster time to achieve, keeps you interested eh.

Spend your money from the NC30 on Ohlins rear shock and kitted forks... You should be sweet for 59s...

dss3
2nd April 2006, 21:14
Spend your money from the NC30 on Ohlins rear shock and kitted forks... You should be sweet for 59s...

Haha, when I first read that I thought you meant I should be able to do 59's on the NC30 if I put those goodies on it!!!

Some how I doubt I will get that much for the NC, first priority might be some race fairings, hands up if you have a spare set lying around gathering dust you are trying to flog off cheap!

dss3
2nd April 2006, 21:40
Here's a quick video of my wee slide on the l/h corner after the pits, Nicko had just passed me on the first lap of the restarted first race after I stuffed up the hairpin. Can see slide in slow motion, doesn't look that big, but man it sure felt huge!

Quasievil
2nd April 2006, 21:54
Here's a quick video of my wee slide on the l/h corner after the pits, Nicko had just passed me on the first lap of the restarted first race after I stuffed up the hairpin. Can see slide in slow motion, doesn't look that big, but man it sure felt huge!

nope that didnt work for me dude, didnt open up anything, you sure you got it right ?

dss3
2nd April 2006, 21:56
nope that didnt work for me dude, didnt open up anything, you sure you got it right ?

You sure? Anyone get that vid to work? No offense Quasi, but you are computer muppet! :msn-wink:

Motoracer
3rd April 2006, 00:40
That was fukin cool watching you getting ahead of an experienced racer like nicko in the 1st race bro!!! Too bad for you, they did a re-start but you still held your ground with that 4th, so good on ya!

You were looking really good and with thoes hot lap times, you certainly were flying!! Congrats on your 1.02s... I'm jelouse dude... I'm sure 1.01s won't be that far out of reach for you in the near future. :yes:

Kwaka-Kid
3rd April 2006, 06:50
Darryl dude! that fully rocked!

Dont understand it at all, being ur 2nd ever race, jumping into F1 on a road bike? and riding up with the fast guys?! Seriously still cant get over that, it goes against everything anyones ever said about progressing thru the ranks etc! Nice one dude! nice one.

loosebruce
3rd April 2006, 15:57
Cheers for all the nice comments peeps. Although I will wait for Loosebruce to see this thread and come and hurl some abuse, wouldn't be worried if he didn't.

never one to dissapoint.

Dayrl you cock you're just lucky i wasn't there, casue you'd be one place further down or tasting the armco again, dont know why everyone is gving you praise you got the learn from a 600 ya dopey shit.

Right, anyway good shit mate, so we're heading to taupo are we, we can settle this i'm better than you crap once and for all, well until the next race, good to hear your're making the R1 dedicated race bike, between the two of us we might be able to block and hold out from stroud and clee, to get in front of them of them in the first place i suggest we jump start and ignore the black flags :first:

Riff Raff
3rd April 2006, 16:03
Nice undies Darryl (dunno why you keep showing them to me tho).

Oh yeah and well done and all that stuff.

bugjuice
3rd April 2006, 16:05
fuk, looks enough to me!!! change of shorts i reckon..

dss3
3rd April 2006, 16:06
fuk, looks enough to me!!! change of shorts i reckon..

Luckily for Riff Raff she saw my undies before that happened!

:moon:

gpercivl
4th April 2006, 16:41
Fantastic and great to see a bunch of us Kiwibikers getting into/back into racing.
Am overseas on business so missed this round but will be back for Taupo. See you then.
Wondered where you were this time, see you at Taupo :2thumbsup