PDA

View Full Version : Nicko Race Report - AMCC Rnd 4

nicko
2nd April 2006, 13:38
Nicko #80 Race Report
AMCC Rnd 4
Pukekohe 01 04 06

Sorry for lack of reports lately, but here's a report on Saturday's race meet at Puke.
I still had my thou (K3 Gixxer) in race trim since Paeroa so decided to take both the 6 hundy and thou out to Puke. Thanks to Mike Smith for supplying some of his old Dunlops from the nationals, they'd only done a couple of races so were still in pretty good nick to put on the thou. Incidently for those that don't know Mike has since sold the bike & given up racing, he's had a good run & done his dash and is doing a bit of road cycling at the mo.

Qualifying was interesting on the thousand in F1, the Dunlops are great tyres but if you've got a bad setup then they can be a nightmare as they make the bike twitch a fair bit down the straight due to their steep profile, I had to come in & wind the steering damper right up then went back out and managed a 1.04 before the session finished qualifying 5th. The 600 was behaving well and qualified with a 1.02 in 3rd behind Sam Smith & Dave Manuell.

First F1 race was red-flagged after a K5 Gixxer rider high-sided out of the hairpin, was a classic high-side & the rider was slightly hurt - hope you've come right mate. DSS did well avoiding the carnage. Managed to drop my times down to a 1.02 and got past Daryl to finish 3rd. Thanks to the encouragment from the other KBers who reckoned they would have given me no end of sh*t if Daryl had of beaten me!

2nd F1 race was better as I'd made a couple of changes to the front setup - I got down to a 1.01.2 and bet Dave Lees on the 750 to finish 2nd behind Sam Smith. I need to work on the setup some more tho as with the steering damper up so much it's very hard to flick the bike around and I was getting some wicked bouncing going on round turn 1.

3rd F1 race was a hell of a lot of fun, I got the holeshot and had a great dice with Dave Lees & Sam all race long. We swapped the lead pretty much every lap and were 3 wide going into the hairpin on the last lap but Sam & Dave came out on top leaving me to 3rd with only half a second seperating us at the line.

F2 races were all pretty much identical circulating in 1.02's most of the day, 3rd in the first two behind Sam & Dave and 2nd in the last race as Sam didn't go out. Last race on the double left hander I managed to have a Mynah bird fly across the track and smash me in the middle of my visor which smacked the helmet onto my nose. Luckily the visor didn't break (FFM helmets are tough!) and I cruised over the line with a bloody sore nose. My condolenses go out to the birds family.

Top riding from Sam on the new R6, he's gonna be bloody fast come nationals. Daryl - what can I say mate, awesome first effort on the thou! KK & Frosty nice work in F3. Jill great work getting back out after the crash. Thanks to all the marshalls and crews & thanks to Sam & Blair for their help in the pits.

And as always, thanks to METZELER, COLEMANS SUZUKI, FREDCO MOTORS, FFM, NEO, SPOOL, SBS, DID, SDV LOGISTICS

Cheers,
Nicko

White trash
2nd April 2006, 14:34
What about thanks to me for not punching ya in the gob for tryin' to turn my missus on? Huh?

Why I oughta........

In all seriousness, had the most enjoyable days spectating I've had in a long time, good to catch up with so many good bastards.

FROSTY
2nd April 2006, 14:37
About bloody time nicko!!! darn good report -Ohh and yea you have NO idea how much shit you woulda got if DSS had beat ya

White trash
2nd April 2006, 14:41
About bloody time nicko!!! darn good report -Ohh and yea you have NO idea how much shit you woulda got if DSS had beat ya
What about the shit you're gonna get for being a cocky cunt and incorrectly predicting you'd lap Quasi?

FROSTY
2nd April 2006, 14:58
nahh -I didn't predict I'd lap him --I just gave him a small incentive NOT to be lapped.:innocent:

dss3
2nd April 2006, 15:20
Yeah shot man, damn you got those starts pretty well sussed aye, always made up a couple of positions by the first corner it seemed.

Hope to see you out there again soon for lesson number 2! AMCC round 5 Taupo maybe.

Two Smoker
2nd April 2006, 17:18
Wicked stuff Nicko!!! That last F1 race was wicked to watch!!! Seeing you in first for the first 3 laps was awesome...

Cant wait to get out there in F2 with ya :niceone:

Motoracer
3rd April 2006, 00:44
Last race on the double left hander I managed to have a Mynah bird fly across the track and smash me in the middle of my visor which smacked the helmet onto my nose. Luckily the visor didn't break (FFM helmets are tough!) and I cruised over the line with a bloody sore nose. My condolenses go out to the birds family.

Ha ha ha :laugh:

Good one Nick! It was good to get out on the track with you again. It's getting pretty frustarting now, not being able to break into the 1.03s and 1.02s (1.02s are more like a dream at the moment...).

I saw one of your F1 races where you did that wheelie finish past the chequred flag. Top shit bro!! :niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
3rd April 2006, 07:01
Well done Nicko! Was good racing to watch, but youd better watch out for taht daryl guy! :P once again top effort for picking up your pace after hte first part-race

Quasievil
3rd April 2006, 07:42
Nice Write up Nicko, to bad abouyt that Mynha bird, that must of splattered the poor bastard, I have always wanted to whack one of those cheeky bastards in thre car but they are to damn quick... and dont they know it huh...... I know know from your lesson how to do it on a bike at 290 kmph lets see them beat that fucker.

Good racing though mate enjoyed watching you guys hammer it out, nice job

Two Smoker
3rd April 2006, 08:38
Found a photo mate...

babyB
3rd April 2006, 10:26
cool wright up .sounds like ya had a good day

gpercivl
4th April 2006, 16:51
Hey Nick, you're right about that new R6 I was cranking 15k at the kink in practice and Sam cruised past on the outside. Also, what have you done to your bike since the Nationals? It seems to have found some more top end 'cos I wasn't catching you this time

Motoracer
9th April 2006, 13:23
Found a photo mate...

I got even a better one!

nicko
10th April 2006, 22:09
Cheers for that MR, nice shot! I got told off for those ones too, something about not being able to read my numbers for the lap scoring?! :spudwhat:

Greg, motor was bog stock for nats and now has head gasket thinned & ignition advancer installed, definitely made an improvement but still down on HP compared to those Kwaka's and Sam's R6....time to save the penny's & suck up to the bike dealers I reckon.

gpercivl
11th April 2006, 14:31
Cheers for that MR, nice shot! I got told off for those ones too, something about not being able to read my numbers for the lap scoring?! :spudwhat:

Greg, motor was bog stock for nats and now has head gasket thinned & ignition advancer installed, definitely made an improvement but still down on HP compared to those Kwaka's and Sam's R6....time to save the penny's & suck up to the bike dealers I reckon.

Do you want to stick with Suzuki or try a Yamaha for a change...I might be able to talk to Henderson for you on a Yammie but I also have a possible contact for Suzuki who I haven't sucked up to before :-) He was telling me at MX on the weekend that the Suzi's will blow the new R6, hee hee hee.

PM me if you want me to go ask. Cheers, Greg