PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Toolkit Contents

potsie
2nd April 2006, 20:10
Just back into trail riding after 20 years and need to get myself better organised than the old days

I need to put together a tool and spares kit to take out with me and would appreciate some guidance on the essentials to carry - I ride a DR-Z250

Thanks

kro
2nd April 2006, 20:29
I carry:

spare plug
10mm R+OE
12mm R+OE
10mm socket
12mm socket
philips head driver
clutch lever
dct tape
cable ties
ratchet
short extension
18mm plug spanner
feeler gauges
crescent
multi tool with torch and pliers
couple of split pins
mini wire brush
kitchen sink

I have an old 1982 bike, and have needed to use a few of these when my plugs fouled, and have stopped to help a couple of people now, who have been broken down in the lowest gully of a big forest, and got them going again. Its a surpisingly small kit considering whats in it.

laRIKin
2nd April 2006, 20:38
The best way to find out what you need is to do the normal maintenance on your bike.
Adjusting chain, levers changing a tire etc. Not doing the valves unless you plan on doing that in the field.
See what tools you have used and there you go you have the start to your tool kit.
Then next time you are working on your bike, just use the tool kit you carry.
You will soon find what extra tool you wish to carry.

OR

You can just look at the bolts that you have to undo to do the basic stuff on your bike and take a guess and what you need.
And then the next time you work on your bike use the tool kit that you have made up.
And then you will find out what extra tool to carry.

Ixion
2nd April 2006, 20:50
A pair of vice grips can be incredibly versatile. Don't forget duct tape, wire (baling and electrical) and cable ties. Something long and strong to use as a lever is well worth while to (cable tie it to a frame member) . And some chain links.

Wellyman
2nd April 2006, 21:09
I carry:

Spanners that are the right size for my bike only
Spark Plug Spanner
Spare levers (1 brake, 1 Clutch)
Tyre Repair Kit
Tape (usually goes missing!)
Spare Plug
Paper,Pen
Cable Ties
Heaps of other bloody tools that I can't remeber!
WM

cheese
3rd April 2006, 09:54
LOL I normally carry

Spare plug
nutfucker (spanner)

should really carry a bit more...

Motu
3rd April 2006, 10:06
I carry far too much in my bum bag,but I don't ride much off road these days...I'd probably trim it down some if I got serious.I like the idea of those small tool bags you bolt to your rear guard.

I carry 8,10,12,14mm stubby spanners,you can find extra leverage somehow,your foot for instance.I have a Motion Pro tool kit - this little pouch has a Chinese puzzle tool that fits together many ways and gives screwdrivers and Allen keys,open enders and box spanners,1/4 and 3/8 drives and sockets,also carry a 1/4 T handle and a Snap-On 1/4 ratchet.Also the standard 6in Cresent (Bahco) and a Bahco 8in that opens to 32mm and has a reversable jaw that turns it into a pipe wrench.A multi screwdriver,a small screwdriver for electical and carb adjustments,my Schrade Multitool,and I always carry a knife of course...2 actualy.A spare spark plug,and a tool to fit it,Maglite.A first aid kit,camera and hip flask of bourbon fills the corners.

On a longer ride I will carry my MSR bottle with spare fuel,puncture repair and a tyre pump...snacks,and Camelback.

cowpoos
3rd April 2006, 11:36
cellphone....and a museily bar

Ixion
3rd April 2006, 14:41
One important thing to remember, is a spanner to fit your wheel nuts. They are often large (20mm + ) , and easily overlooked. The nuts will usually be (over) tight also, so the spanner may be a large one, in which case, cable tie it to a convenient frame member.

cheese
3rd April 2006, 15:52
can you get a tool bag to fit any rear guard? I looked for one. It's not the best taking a bag full of tools where ever you ride.

Motu
3rd April 2006, 17:11
Wolfman do some nice stuff,I'll get this toolbag when I'm flush and our dollar has sunk to an all time low.Their tank bag is made for dirt bikes too.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/03DualSport/EnduroTool.html

potsie
3rd April 2006, 18:35
Thanks to all for your input - much appreciated

Stevo
3rd April 2006, 19:21
Something to fit the axle nuts is a bonus. Even a nutfucker does the trick. Generally if they come loose and you cannot tighten, then you ain't gonna get too far.