PDA

View Full Version : The speed limit is dangerous.....Tailgating

Squeak the Rat
3rd April 2006, 08:50
Due to running in procedures, I found myself cruising along SH1 between Auckland and Whangarei at 100km/hr over the weekend (yes I'm loosely following the manufacturers recommendation). Obviously I wasn’t the quickest vehicle on the road, so was pulling over to let faster cars past where appropriate - don’t need to pull over for bikes though! :)

But bugger me if I wasn’t continuoulsy being tailgated. I have a particular sense of unease when a ten tonne car is with in half a second of the back of my bike. Something to do with crumple zones, the consequences of braking hard, coming off etc.

There were at least ten occasions that I considered were dangerous and I even wished a cop was around (not that I would have expeceted them to do anything)….

I guess once things are run in then I will have to ride faster in order to be safer from these nob-ends. I'm sure that argument will work in court..... :wacko:

PS - hi to all those bikers who waved and/or passed! I even got a couple of waves from car drivers - bikers day off with the family? :niceone:

skelstar
3rd April 2006, 08:57
Sounds a bit nana-ish but waving a driver back with your hand (obv.) often works. Well, it worked both times I did it.

Doesnt work on BMW 4X4's though...but then neither does commonsense.

Squeak the Rat
3rd April 2006, 09:02
Sounds a bit nana-ish but waving a driver back with your hand (obv.) often works. Well, it worked both times I did it.

I did look around a couple of times with mixed results. I tried waving at one driver :tugger: but that seemed to make things worse so i decided not to do that again......

Lazy7
3rd April 2006, 09:08
people in cars just think of bikes as just like any other thing on the road and wont give you any more clearance than a typical car.

but in saying that, bikes normally tail gate cars quite closely (generalization) so maybe its karma.

ZeroIndex
3rd April 2006, 09:26
I did look around a couple of times with mixed results. I tried waving at one driver :tugger: but that seemed to make things worse so i decided not to do that again......
I've often thought of waving at bikers when I'm in my cage (which still isn't sold :oi-grr: ) , but I guess I don't just because well... they're on a bike, why would they waste time on waving to a cage driver? Hopefully I can get my bike working soon...

Dai
3rd April 2006, 10:15
I've ridden countries where there is no speed limit and you still get tailgating.

The autobahn in Germany on the way to Strasbourg. Doing 150mph on my ZZR1100 with some dickhead in a Porche up my tail. Frightened the shit out of me.

The M4 in UK going from Cardiff to Bath. Speed limit 70mph (110kph) A Rolls Royce so close all I cvould see in mirrors was his grill. Pushed me to 100 mph and still kept that close.

Its not the speed limit thats dangerous its the dickheads that drive their vehicles with no thought about other road users.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd April 2006, 11:06
Amen to that. If possible I slow down. I have been known to remonstrate with people who do this if they pull up behind me at the lights. Its one of the most frightening things to happen on a bike I reckon.

Pixie
3rd April 2006, 16:26
I've ridden countries where there is no speed limit and you still get tailgating.

The autobahn in Germany on the way to Strasbourg. Doing 150mph on my ZZR1100 with some dickhead in a Porche up my tail. Frightened the shit out of me.

The M4 in UK going from Cardiff to Bath. Speed limit 70mph (110kph) A Rolls Royce so close all I cvould see in mirrors was his grill. Pushed me to 100 mph and still kept that close.

Its not the speed limit thats dangerous its the dickheads that drive their vehicles with no thought about other road users.
Well,pullover and let the fast traffic pass,you twat:bash:

Grahameeboy
3rd April 2006, 16:28
Well,pullover and let the fast traffic pass,you twat:bash:

You are being a naughty Pixie today aren't you??

Lou Girardin
3rd April 2006, 16:38
For some reason I don't have trouble with tailgaters on the open road.:innocent:

ManDownUnder
3rd April 2006, 16:48
For some reason I don't have trouble with tailgaters on the open road.:innocent:

and you also need to go easy on the curries...

co-incidence??? I think not LOL

Grahameeboy
3rd April 2006, 16:51

So you are a slow learner then.......:killingme

Grahameeboy
3rd April 2006, 16:52
and you also need to go easy on the curries...

co-incidence??? I think not LOL

.....nah just needs to go easy both ends.......come on red rep me Lou....I am waiting for you honey........:msn-wink:

Ixion
3rd April 2006, 17:30

Nor do Der Uberfarter and I . And, oddly when I ride at exactly the speed limit everyone hangs *way* back. :innocent:

Timber020
3rd April 2006, 21:56
I had mates that would tailgate in cages when I was also confined to the wheel of one, puting one wheel in the gravel on the side of the road tends to encourage the two second rule. Dont have the problem with the bike.

APPLE
3rd April 2006, 22:16
Tailgating?wots that,the only talegator i get is a cop?but that is seldom?

Finn
3rd April 2006, 22:36

Oi! You don't need common sence when you own the road.

Lou Girardin
4th April 2006, 08:46
.....nah just needs to go easy both ends.......come on red rep me Lou....I am waiting for you honey........:msn-wink:

Keep waiting sweetie I don't red rep and I'm still trying to work out your slow learner quip.
That was so far over my head it was stratospheric.

Gremlin
4th April 2006, 23:47
hah, child's play. Was going into the city a month or two ago in pouring rain, and riding in the middle lane. In the fast lane was a 4x4 with a tanker so far up its arse, would have been no more than 2 metres. If anything had happened, no way the tanker would have stopped.

And I seem to be the same as ixion and co.... cars seldom travel right behind me :devil2: