PDA

View Full Version : Steering Damper oil ?

tlronny
23rd April 2004, 06:59
Can anyone tell me what the fluid inside a stock Suzuki steering damper is ?
My "busa is slapping a bit too much for my liking and I would like to replce the original stuff with summit thicker ??

F5 Dave
23rd April 2004, 09:14
I’m guessing cartridge suspension fluid, probably 2.5 std but who knows. I’m assuming you really do mean tankslapping when accelerating over bumps etc & not another suspension malady? Best check steering head bearings & squared /mismatched rear tires.

Too heavy a steering damper makes it feel like the bike is on rails. People think that is a compliment, but it means it steers like a train. :spudbooge

tlronny
23rd April 2004, 09:24
The rear tyre is rooted but it was slapping from new anyway :mobile:

F5 Dave
23rd April 2004, 09:32
Maybe time to start saving for a decent quality damper?

tlronny
23rd April 2004, 11:09
I shouldnt really have to fork out over $500 for a new one when with a bit of thought I can modify the original :sly:

F5 Dave
23rd April 2004, 11:19
The std one won’t be much chop quality wise & putting heavier oil in it may be a crude step. For a start you have to be sure you can bleed it properly once you have refilled it or it will have a dead space in the middle. Cheap dampers are orifice controlled & any more than a bit of damping & they become quite stroppy.

Hey on the other hand it’s worth a try.

DEATH_INC.
23rd April 2004, 11:45
The standard damper is really crude inside,just a brass (from memory)piston that's a real loose fit so the oil goes around it.....
From memory the stock oil is 5wt.
You need to look into other stuff first,the stock damper is real stiff and if you're having probs on a busa I think you'll find there's something else amiss.

tlronny
23rd April 2004, 11:53
Front end wise -I have the preload maxed out and both the damping settings hardened up a smidgen (I weigh 102 kgs) :disapint:

DEATH_INC.
23rd April 2004, 12:03
When's she slapping?Over bumps?under acceleration?under braking?when?????

tlronny
23rd April 2004, 14:07
Usually over undulations at relatively high speed and accelerating (say 140k/hr +) eg humps in the road

DEATH_INC.
23rd April 2004, 19:51
O.k. did it get better or worse when you cranked up the preload?

tlronny
23rd April 2004, 22:21
Cant really say I've noticed really except it doesnt dive down under brakes as much and doesnt want to stand up as much going into turns ? :o

DEATH_INC.
25th April 2004, 17:18
Have you checked the steering head bearings?Check 'em for smoothness and adjustment.Check yer wheel alignment too.And tyre pressure.
May also be worth trying the preload backed off again just to feel it and eliminate it.
if not try http://www.labusas.org/

Morepower
27th April 2004, 18:52
Normaly you would want a softer damper than stock to quicken the steering.
I guess too much accelleration on bumpy Hawkes Bay roads :killingme
What you need is a good test pilot , I volunteer :eek:

Dave

wkid_one
27th April 2004, 19:05
Also try Micapeak.com as they are likely to have members who have had the same problem with the same bike who can help.

tlronny
27th April 2004, 20:48
I'm afraid Dave you wouldnt know what to do once you got past 260 km/hr !
and thanks Wkid I've been there but no luck.
There is however places like www.gixxer.com
www.hayabusa.org
www.labusas.org
www.suzukihayabusa.org
:Pokey:

DEATH_INC.
3rd May 2004, 21:16
If its the same as the standard damper on my TLR then once the oils 'gone' its a throw away item.
Mine has just dispensed of its contents so am looking for suggestions for a new one... anyone??
No,they can be rebuilt.
But if yer really wanting a newy,hyperpro or ohlins are pretty hard to go past....

F5 Dave
4th May 2004, 09:03
Think the most recent Kiwi rider had a price for ohlins, think it was a Taylor add in their products section.

DEATH_INC.
4th May 2004, 14:32
Ok maybe they are rebuildable but the mechanic told me it wasnt. Its the standard "no settings" damper on the TLR, pretty budget looking thing if you ask me.
:laugh: Yeah,they're pretty budget orright......
Steering dampers can be bloody expensive,anywhere from about $250 for a cheapie up to close on a grand for a goodie......