PDA

View Full Version : OK guys the game is up...

pritch
4th April 2006, 13:37
This could be a nasty surprise to some people.
How sad :-)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3626774a11,00.html

riffer
4th April 2006, 13:39
Nothing new as far as I'm concerned.

I got stopped leaving the country 17 years ago and had to pay fines before I could depart.

Nice to know they couldn't force me then but as I just wanted to get on the plane I paid up. :doh:

Str8 Jacket
4th April 2006, 13:41
Yeah, we've been working on this for awhile. Will certainly make my job easier, not so for the people "on the floor" as you can imagine there have been quiet a few irate people making enquiries. The one good thing to come out of this is people that owe tens of thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars of reparation will have no choice but to pay up, so in some ways its a good thing...

Sniper
4th April 2006, 13:42
As Riffer said, nothing new. We gave had a few clients stopped from leaving the country and then they come back wanting another car while they "sort" it out

sAsLEX
4th April 2006, 13:49
Yeah, we've been working on this for awhile. Will certainly make my job easier, not so for the people "on the floor" as you can imagine there have been quiet a few irate people making enquiries. The one good thing to come out of this is people that owe tens of thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars of reparation will have no choice but to pay up, so in some ways its a good thing...

You stopping yachts? This country would be so easy to get away from what with the level of resources gaurding our coastline

Str8 Jacket
4th April 2006, 13:53
You stopping yachts? This country would be so easy to get away from what with the level of resources gaurding our coastline

lol, well you think they would have thought of that. Our Govt just isn't smart enough. Anyway I dont have anything much to do with this side of it, I work on "high profile" fines defaulters who owe more than $50,000 and alot of them have already left the country. One owes $1.8 million winding back odometers on vehicles he imported, he's now in Aussie selling used cars and theres nothing the Australian Govt or our Govt can do about it.

madboy
4th April 2006, 13:54
I think it's a bloody good idea. I don't see how you can afford overseas travel but can't afford to pay fines, and particularly reparation. Yeah, I know, there will always be "what ifs" but on the whole I think it's great. If I have to get stopped and hassled everytime I enter a new country based on something I didn't do but got convicted of anyway years ago, then these scumbags with outstanding fines can get the treatment too.

madboy
4th April 2006, 13:55
...and theres nothing the Australian Govt or our Govt can do about it.That's where morals and ethics get in the way of the "right" outcome

Str8 Jacket
4th April 2006, 13:57
I think it's a bloody good idea. I don't see how you can afford overseas travel but can't afford to pay fines, and particularly reparation. .

Thats exactly right, I see too many people that have defrauded people and or businesses for thousands, causing the company to fold or the victims to become bankrupt and these criminals just hope on a plane and take of knowing full well that we can only enforce these charges in NZ. Its all to easy, people just dont seem to care about other people these days, its all about number 1.

madboy
4th April 2006, 14:00
Off topic, but as you know I work in insurance. Most people wouldn't steal a newspaper from the dairy, but they're happy to take a few million from an insurance company. Proving fraud, and getting that to stand up in court, is incredibly difficult, but by that stage their assets have been "sold" to third parties and you can't touch them.

Colapop
4th April 2006, 14:02
Meh if I owed 20,000+ in fines I'd just go an get PD and get them wiped - It works for a whole lot of other losers out there.

Str8 Jacket
4th April 2006, 14:06
Meh if I owed 20,000+ in fines I'd just go an get PD and get them wiped - It works for a whole lot of other losers out there.

Ha! Thats where your wrong, Reparation cannot be exchanged for Community Service (PD). It was given instead of a jail term and if the peson does not pay the reparation they owe the judge can order that we seize property, put a charging order on their house, business or that we just deduct the money straight form their income (benefit or wages). If none of that will cover the reparation then the judge will usually hand down a prison sentence.

Colapop
4th April 2006, 14:11
Bugger you! I'm going out to get $20k+ of fines now just to prove you wrong!! (As if saying "Bugger you" isn't enough)

What about the guy (from U/hutt?) who had heaps of fines wiped coz he couldn't pay?

What are you like on wiping parking fines?

The Stranger
4th April 2006, 14:12
That's farken stupid.

Now we get to keep the crims in our country.
Why not just let them go with a warning that they will be jailed on their return.

With a bit of luck half of them wont come back and the ones that do wont have enjoyed their holiday anyway.
win-win

Str8 Jacket
4th April 2006, 14:18
What about the guy (from U/hutt?) who had heaps of fines wiped coz he couldn't pay?

What are you like on wiping parking fines?

His fines were just traffic offences. No reparation.

Sadly if you want your fines wiped then you'll have to get the issuing authority to remove them from court, or we'll just keep on collecting. If you do want to contest them once they come to court and the judge says he/she wont remit them then he/she can also decide to "up" the cost of the fine as well as demand that you pay it by a certain date or they will seize assets etc. Sadly for those of us that do work and pay taxes and can afford to buy a vehicle house etc then you have no option but to pay or lose your assetts but if your poor, have no job no assetts etc then you'll get community service maybe. Sometimes I wonder who is really better of!
I cant even have ANY fines in the court system, not even for parking so I have no choice but to pay if I get pinged!

Troll
6th April 2006, 09:36

does that mean you want to be a loser like them ???

Buster
6th April 2006, 09:56
Ive got reparations owing to me from 6 years ago. Ive only seen a couple of cheques from the court of about $10 each. If I had known the person was going to get off so lightly I would have preferred he went to jail, or had PD. At a cost to the state of course. With a criminal record like his I doubt international travel was an option anyway.
I dont think this will catch many more people than they do now, Its always been common knowledge that you could be stopped at the airport for unpaid fines. Its scare tactics to make joe bloggs go pay that 6 month old parking ticket he was trying to get out of.