PDA

View Full Version : Rack bag opinions required please.

nudemetalz
4th April 2006, 15:01
Greetings,

I’m looking at purchasing an RJAYS Expandable Explorer Rack Bag for our trip down South.

Has anybody here got one that they can shed light onto how good (or bad they actually) are?

I do like the features of them, namely the unzippable side bags and the carry straps.

Cheers,
NDMz.

skelstar
4th April 2006, 15:21
I think Jonty has one. You could PM him if he doesnt reply.

nudemetalz
4th April 2006, 15:25
Thanks Skel.

Jonty
4th April 2006, 15:55
Yep - I have the the explorer. It is a great bag for my purposes. I used it for a trip down south and we had all of my gear in it and my girlfriends and it was fine (except for a slight bend in my rack due to the full bag weighing in at 34kgs :Oops: ). Best thing about it is the had hard walls meaning it doesn't blow round in the wind (have done 100+ a few times and never noticed it on the back). Also around down it is a manageable size if all the layers are zipped up. If it is empty you can easily get two helmets and two jackets in it also.

It comes with over shoulder straps if you ever feel the need to carry it yourself and has all the wet weather covers attached to it (which came in handy I can tell you).

All in all a great bag, only downside is it doesen't expand to much sideways given the hard walls.

nudemetalz
4th April 2006, 16:03
Excellent !!!

Thanks so much for your review Jonty.

Now the hard bit,...convince the missus....!!!:not:

Jonty
4th April 2006, 16:06
Excellent !!!

Thanks so much for your review Jonty.

Now the hard bit,...convince the missus....!!!:not:

If she needs more than 80lts for all her stuff buy her a bike instead:dodge:

Nah, they are a wise investment - enjoy

nudemetalz
4th April 2006, 16:26
Thanks,

She's riding down on her VT, I'll be carrying her stuff too....the ZX-10 will be like a full-dresser in the end !!!!!

Swoop
4th April 2006, 17:00
Yep - I have the the explorer. If it is empty you can easily get two helmets and two jackets in it also.
Geeze, much larger and you will need a tent pole and simply sleep in it!:whistle:
Sounds like a good bit of kit.

.produKt
4th April 2006, 17:30
Hmm these bags sound great!

Any weblinks for extended produkt information? i want :yes:

nudemetalz
4th April 2006, 18:03
Hmm these bags sound great!

Any weblinks for extended produkt information? i want :yes:

Try this: http://www.bikebiz.com.au/shop/en-us/dept_439.html

Qkchk
4th April 2006, 18:09
Oh a RACK bag not a Ratbag.............. hmmm wrong thread....

sels1
4th April 2006, 21:35
I'm just back from a week down south (working not riding unfortunately) and it seemed every 2nd bike I saw touring had these bags. Spoke to a few riders about them on the ferry and they were pretty pleased with them. (Was thinking of getting one myself for S.I trip one day)

Virago
4th April 2006, 21:44
Yes, I've got one (see the picture on my profile page). It's a great bag, easily expandable with the top zip-outs, great for touring. Clips on or off the pack rack in seconds. Great value - I recommend it.

nudemetalz
4th April 2006, 21:59
Thanks Virago.

Def going to buy one now.

Insanity_rules
5th April 2006, 07:13
Hey Nude, thought you might find this interesting. I'm looking at ways of carrying a little gear on my VTZ. If I find something good you might be able to apply it too so the Missus could take a bit of gear on your travels.

Your looking at doin some touring right?

nudemetalz
5th April 2006, 07:16
ha ha,...I'll make sure she'll be carrying a bit of gear, doesn't get let off the hook that easy. The VTR has a packrack so can put a wee bit, just that the wee 250's performance suffers quite a bit when you had a little extra weight.

vinducati
5th April 2006, 07:38
Have Ventura Packs. I really like them.Use them zipped together for a South Island Tour.Use the small one for work or the large one for weekenders.
Nice shape, no problems at high speeds.
Good pockets.
Maybe you should have a look just to compare.
cheers

nudemetalz
5th April 2006, 11:07
Good idea, might just do that. Thanks Vinducati

vifferman
5th April 2006, 11:24
Have Ventura Packs. I really like them.Use them zipped together for a South Island Tour.Use the small one for work or the large one for weekenders.
Nice shape, no problems at high speeds.
Good pockets.

Yeah I have the same setup, supplemented by a tank bag if the backpacks aren't enough. The Ventura also has the ability to clip straps onto to use as backpacks if required.
I've used various Ventura packracks and bags (4 different sorts) for the last 6 years or so, and reckon they're pretty good value. Best of they're NZ made.

nudemetalz
7th April 2006, 13:42
Well I picked up the RJays Expandable Explorer pack this lunchtime.

I'll write a full review on it once we get back from our epic ride.

Cheers
NDMz.

Bandit Rider
10th April 2006, 23:06

Cheers
NDMz.

I have one, and use it just about everyday. Would probably buy one again.

There is one thing to watch. Make sure you have the wet weather cover on tight, when you use it. Mine worked itself off, got caught in the rear weel and ripped off, doing some serious damage to the mudguard on the way. Didn't have any stability problems when it happened, but would not be keen to do it again - it is not hard to make sure it is secure if the lower tie is under the base of the pack.

nudemetalz
10th April 2006, 23:10
Thanks for the tip. Even considered bungeeing on the wet weather cover for extra insurance, if I need to use it.

Oakie
12th April 2006, 21:26

Cheers
NDMz.

So how much did you pay for it? There's on on Trade Me at the moment with a 'buy now' price of $150. The bidding is up to $120 and reserve not met yet.

nudemetalz
13th April 2006, 00:14
So how much did you pay for it? There's on on Trade Me at the moment with a 'buy now' price of $150. The bidding is up to $120 and reserve not met yet.

They retail new for $169.00 and I got my for $150.00.

So I got a good deal. :)

.produKt
13th April 2006, 07:37
Would anyone happen to know if Budget Motorcycle Spares in chch on wilsons rd nth would happen to stock them?
I'm unable to get there, or ring there, so busy -_-