PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie! (Bend-it)

Bend-it
4th April 2006, 16:05
Greetings... Just getting into riding and love it!! I've been on a 50cc scooter for the past errr... 2 years, recently between Newlands and Wgtn city. Finally decided that I've done enough pottering and it's time to keep up with traffic going up the gorge.

Tried out a Hyosung GT250 in the weekend and found it smooth and pleasant. Things I didn't like are that it's abit too high, and I was finding the limits of its acceleration (full-throttle till redline in the 1st 3 gears) on the old hutt road without scaring myself too much. I'd be bored stiff in 2 weeks!

Then tried out a Suzuki Bandit yesterday, which definitely had the smile factor going!! Both with the speed and handling! Yum!!

Would like to try out the seating position of a sport bike, as opposed to the road-bikes, as described above. Apparently there's an FZR250 at TSS in L.Hutt next week... Mmmm... but I am leaning toward the bandit right now. Even have if for the weekend to try out! Woohoo!! (Gotta find me an L plate)

So, are there "beginner rides" around Wellington? If I keep riding on my own, I'll never know if I'm doing things right, and I'm sure more experienced riders would be able to provide some very useful pointers.

Anyway, that's me. Hi guys and gals!

DemonWolf
4th April 2006, 16:07
Welcome to KB... =)

froggyfrenchman
4th April 2006, 16:07
hi and welcome to the site!

*sits back and waits for the usal "best learner 250 debate" to begin, again*

Bend-it
4th April 2006, 16:10
I have no idea, so I'm getting out and riding some... Definitely open to opinions though!

Jonty
4th April 2006, 16:12
Welcome - there are plenty of beginner rides around. TSS are the first Sunday of each month and there are plenty in events meetings and events thread. Make sure you have a ride on a ZXR before you settle on a bandit :msn-wink:

kiwifruit
4th April 2006, 16:16
Welcome to the site :)

the best learner bike is a 1000cc sports bike :spudbn:
something with at least 160hp.....

im sure the bandit will be nice too,
the 1200 i take it?
:calm:

Sniper
4th April 2006, 16:16
Welcome matey

crashe
4th April 2006, 16:23
Welcome to KB...

Check out the Events and Meetings section as there is always rides posted up...

Good luck in finding the right bike for you...:scooter:

Rosie
4th April 2006, 16:25
Welcome!
Have fun trying out the different bikes and deciding what to buy.
You can buy L plates at the warehouse. They come with adhesive velcro, so you can stick it to your bike, and remove it at will (not that anyone would remove an L plate before getting their restricted...) the velcro looks dodgy and flimsy, but my L plate refuses to fall off of it's own accord.

Squeak the Rat
4th April 2006, 16:28
Howdy! If you do

Make sure you have a ride on a ZXR before you settle on a bandit :msn-wink:
Then make sure you don't

(full-throttle till redline in the 1st 3 gears)
too soon without getting the feel for the bike or you could be :doh:
Good luck, enjoy, and peruse the site for some good learner info, like rosie's above..... :)

Hawkeye
4th April 2006, 16:35
So, are there "beginner rides" around Wellington? If I keep riding on my own, I'll never know if I'm doing things right, and I'm sure more experienced riders would be able to provide some very useful pointers.

Newbie ride on the 23/04/06 in Welly

check this out

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27270

:wari: :2thumbsup

MSTRS
4th April 2006, 16:44
hi and welcome to the site!

*sits back and waits for the usal "best learner 250 debate" to begin, again*
No debate. Everyone know the best learner 250 is one with an engine. With 250cc's. Oh - and wheels.
Welcome Bend-it. Try not to...

Patrick
4th April 2006, 16:45
Enjoy the site...by the way...have two bikes for sale soon... one is a 250 Bandit...no I am not a bike dealer!

MidnightMike
4th April 2006, 16:51
Welcome to kb, i doubt youll get bored on the bandit, those things go like a bat outta hell. :devil2:

texmo
4th April 2006, 16:58
Welcome, scooters are a great starter if you can ride a scooter fast when you jump on a 250 you will go blindly quick.

Insanity_rules
4th April 2006, 21:08
Welcome Bend it. You should come on the TCWNR. Its a good ride with good people. See ya on the black top dude. Oh and if you want the 411 on 250 Bandits ask Wasp, he's got a really nice one.

BEAMER89
4th April 2006, 22:03
:wavey: Welcome 2 KB Bend it!! Enjoy the site mate

Bend-it
5th April 2006, 10:12
Woses!! Thanks for the welcome!! This forum actually is buzzing!! I've been to forums where you get 2 messages a week if you're lucky, haha!! You all must, like me, not have enough work to do! ;)

Yup, will probably come for TCWNR, should get an exit pass from the Mrs since she was happy enough to drive me out to W'nae to pick the bike up.

Riding scooters fast> It's a 50cc! Top speed of 70km/h going DOWN the gorge, with a tail-wind! By the way, anyone wants a 50cc scooter? 1997, 15,000kms (estimated). It actually says 7862 (I think) kms on the clock, but the speedo hasn't been going for awhile, so... ;) No need for WOF, just rego > $80/yr

texmo
5th April 2006, 10:58
Riding scooters fast> It's a 50cc! Top speed of 70km/h going DOWN the gorge, with a tail-wind! By the way, anyone wants a 50cc scooter? 1997, 15,000kms (estimated). It actually says 7862 (I think) kms on the clock, but the speedo hasn't been going for awhile, so... ;) No need for WOF, just rego > $80/yr

You can ride an fxr150 fast even though it only dose 130ish km/hr

John Banks
5th April 2006, 19:34
I completely agree. The best 250 is one with two wheels and an engine. As long as it makes you grin, there ain't nothing wrong with it.

OMG
8th April 2006, 08:40
Woses!! Thanks for the welcome!! This forum actually is buzzing!! I've been to forums where you get 2 messages a week if you're lucky, haha!! You all must, like me, not have enough work to do! ;)
> $80/yr
Welcome to KB :spudwave: , of course you get lots of relies, everyone here knows bikes are more important than work.

metric
8th April 2006, 15:55
Welcome - there are plenty of beginner rides around. TSS are the first Sunday of each month and there are plenty in events meetings and events thread. Make sure you have a ride on a ZXR before you settle on a bandit :msn-wink:

howdy & welcome

totally agree :yes:

Mr. Peanut
1st May 2006, 16:49
For the best 250cc, dont buy anything ppl say is dodgy and get it checked out by a mechanic. If you dont have much money, buy a slow bike! (which will feel fast as hell to a newb anyhow :P )

Other than that, its all down to whats on the market. Ive never really "Chosen"
a bike per se, just had a general idea of what I wanted and followed as above.
:first:

slimjim
9th May 2006, 21:59
well throw a bit of glow fuel in your tank , yea go fast:cool:
if that doesnt work o well,,, na welcome to the site,, :rofl: