PDA

View Full Version : Why we like leather

SPman
23rd April 2004, 20:06
Just a reminder of why most of us like leather when riding. The hapless rider highsided his SP1 coming out of Castrol today.
I wonder how Cordura would have fared?

Bleck K6
23rd April 2004, 20:13
Its good stuff allright,howz his bike?

SPman
23rd April 2004, 20:48
Its good stuff allright,howz his bike?
Not too bad ..few scrapes, ding in the tank and snapped off a bar. a few bent bits. usual stuff. :disapint:

pete376403
23rd April 2004, 20:54
I recall a comment by journalist Gordon Jennings years ago in Cycle magazine. He said "nature never equipped cows to go down the road on their backsides at 100 mph" he was arguing in favour of synthetics over leather, yet all the pro riders still seem to favour cowhide. Any KBer's ever been down the road with synthetics? Comments?

Quasievil
23rd April 2004, 21:05
I recall a comment by journalist Gordon Jennings years ago in Cycle magazine. He said "nature never equipped cows to go down the road on their backsides at 100 mph" he was arguing in favour of synthetics over leather, yet all the pro riders still seem to favour cowhide. Any KBer's ever been down the road with synthetics? Comments?

I would love to know how the reality situation is, I thought Cordura actrually feared better,Im begining to wonder though. Would appreciate comments from those with experience in this :thud:

dangerous
23rd April 2004, 21:24
Some good questions, for some reason I seem to be growing out of my leathers again :confused2 and I am thinking about replacing them with that gortex fabric or what ever you call it stuff!
Anyhow I've been told that its warmer, dryer and lighter all better points over leather but how does it hold up compaired to leather, in a slide down the road situation??
And then theres the....... you know, its not leather aye, and thats what real bikers wear :)

pete376403
23rd April 2004, 21:26
And of course synthetic will never have that smell that you get standing round the bonfire at a rally

k14
23rd April 2004, 22:17
I saw some tests of synthetic vs leather and leather has about 5 times more durability in a slide down the road.

For me i will never switch from leather.

Two Smoker
23rd April 2004, 22:23
For me it is weather dependant, if it is fine i wear leather, if it is raining i wear cordura (due to the fact it is water proof) im thinking about getting a draggin jeans kevlar jacket for underneath the cordura jacket......

FROSTY
23rd April 2004, 22:35
those fancy artificial suits aparently stand up well in an "average " crash--yea like i want to find out my crash wasn't average
t

Motu
23rd April 2004, 22:44
Speedway riders seem to be moving away from leather these days,I haven't inspected one up very close....those guys don't like touchy feely...but are purpose built for the job.

Indiana_Jones
23rd April 2004, 23:00
The closest thing i have to a jacket is my Denim one.
Life sucks as a poor student :brick:

But I always try and get the happy days tune in my head before I go riding to cheer me up :laugh:

-Indy

Posh Tourer :P
23rd April 2004, 23:11
Get thee to a Savemart immediately...... I picked up a touring jacket for $25 at savemart New Lynn. There is also normally a good selection of leather jackets (pricey-ish at about $80), and a lot of other jackets. If you know what you are looking for , you ought to be able to get something better than denim!!! and for a cheap price too...

Indiana_Jones
23rd April 2004, 23:21
Might pop into savemart sometime, they sell second hand gruds for like $3.........who the Hell wants to wear someone's gruds :puke:

-Indy

Shawn
24th April 2004, 00:41
Hey I can answer this question for certain….came off twice ….once wearing non leather (didn’t have money to buy leather yet!! :( ) and the other time all leather….1st time it took a huge chunk off my left knee along with a huge elbow bruise and lots a other scratches (some of’em were real deep)…other time nothing other then couple of scratches on my palm and my leather got all the punishment…so I think when it comes to u coming off, nothing can save u more then leather…al least that’s what I experienced…and I ain’t switching to anything from my leather…

And a dumb ques again: what is a dragging jeans ? is it just like a normal jeans just a bit thicker?...

Wonko
24th April 2004, 01:27
there's nothing like knowing that a cowor two has died in the process of protecting your hide.

The hard core of the hard core, elitest of the elite kill the cow themselves, cure it and then mold it into the perfect protection from bins, highsides, low sides and any other form of crash.

The cow is dead, long live the jacket!!!

Dragen jeans are made from kevlar instead of denium.

please ignore above, flatemates shouldn't encorage posting while i am drunk.

Ghost Lemur
24th April 2004, 01:42
I was actually browsing some manufacturers sites, looking at leathers and came across one who's top of the range stuff was made from Kangaroo leather instead of cow. Can't remember who it was but will see if I can find it again and post a link.

*long live Skippy* :laugh:

Holy Roller
24th April 2004, 05:16
Dragen jeans are made from kevlar instead of denium.

http://www.dragginjeans.co.nz/

SPman
24th April 2004, 07:07
I was actually browsing some manufacturers sites, looking at leathers and came across one who's top of the range stuff was made from Kangaroo leather instead of cow. Can't remember who it was but will see if I can find it again and post a link.

*long live Skippy* :laugh: Probably Tiger Angel

Marknz
24th April 2004, 07:28
what is a dragging jeans ? is it just like a normal jeans just a bit thicker?...

Draggin Jeans have a kevlar material lining around the knees, hips and arse that is supposed to protect you a little more than a simple layer of denim. I still don't think I'd want to be going down the road in them any quicker than about 60kph... but then I was lucky enough not to come off in mine anyway. As soon as I could afford leather I go them.

Motu
24th April 2004, 08:05
I once canned wearing an oilskin parka,I slid for so long I got bored and when I stood up launched into a flying foward roll.Not a mark on the parka or me - musta bin slippry eh?

Deano
24th April 2004, 08:16
Hey I can answer this question for certain….came off twice ….once wearing non leather (didn’t have money to buy leather yet!! :( ) and the other time all leather….1st time it took a huge chunk off my left knee along with a huge elbow bruise and lots a other scratches (some of’em were real deep)…other time nothing other then couple of scratches on my palm and my leather got all the punishment…so I think when it comes to u coming off, nothing can save u more then leather…al least that’s what I experienced…and I ain’t switching to anything from my leather…

And a dumb ques again: what is a dragging jeans ? is it just like a normal jeans just a bit thicker?...

Pretty sure dragg'n jeans are kevlar reinforced.

Bleck K6
24th April 2004, 08:23
I crashed on the desert road coming back from the cold kiwi,hit a oil slick..
Me & my partner were both wearing leathers,only injury I had was a sore elbow,My partner rolled instead of sliiding & ripped a hole below her knee,& she was Quite sore.I Always wear my leathers when ridin now, I thought about tryin some of the other gear but is it worth the risk if it doesnt work well,All the other accidents i had when I was younger I never had decent gear & always got some nasty injury.

MD
24th April 2004, 08:44
Leather rules! I've had a few slides over the years and leathers have always held it together. Trouble is its cooler in summer but useless in the rain so I now wear a Tecknic cordura half the year. The warmest stuff around. I just hope those armour inserts stay in place and work if the time comes.
Indiana J- I know you are on a student budget but denin jeans come apart in a slide like Janet Jackson's tops (same designers maybe?) PAINFUL.
MD

Ms Piggy
24th April 2004, 09:02

Yeah my gear is synthetic and when I had my bin last month it came out fine - although I was going really slow ie. 5kms/hr so I guess it's not really a valid test.

I actually wish I'd get leather now though, I like the idea that leather will stretch & move with the body.

wkid_one
24th April 2004, 09:23
I like leather as I feels good on my skin.....mmmmmm and don't get me started about the smell....mmmmmmm

Ms Piggy
24th April 2004, 09:32
I like leather as I feels good on my skin.....mmmmmm and don't get me started about the smell....mmmmmmm

Yes well I appreciate the aesthetic value on leather on the male population. :whistle:

Another thing I find with synthetic is that it doesn't breath like leather & therefore tends to make me sweat and then you get all the problems assosciated with that! :sweatdrop

wkid_one
24th April 2004, 09:35
tends to make me sweat and then you get all the problems assosciated with that! :sweatdrop
I presume you are taking about chaffing - not nice

Ghost Lemur
24th April 2004, 09:48
Well I managed to find the suit again. Turns out it's the Technic Speedstar (http://www.teknicgear.com/pages/collections/sportbike/speedstar/1pc_suit.html). It's 0.8mm think and supposed to perform on par if not better than 1.6mm Brazilian cowhide.

So it looks like whether you want leather or synth Technic have it covered.

Ms Piggy
24th April 2004, 10:02
I presume you are taking about chaffing - not nice

Nah more about odour. :argh:

Jackrat
24th April 2004, 10:10
Iv'e slid down the road in leather a couple of times an got up with out a scratch.Done the same in lined Denim jackets and oil skin.That's were I got good scars.Leather rocks,all this new stuff probably makes good tents or something.
:ride: :ride: Give me the cow

pete376403
24th April 2004, 16:53
Get thee to a Savemart immediately...... I picked up a touring jacket for $25 at savemart New Lynn. There is also normally a good selection of leather jackets (pricey-ish at about $80), and a lot of other jackets. If you know what you are looking for , you ought to be able to get something better than denim!!! and for a cheap price too...
Feck that is CHEAP - my naturalwear jacket cost around $600something - mind you I'm pretty sure it is bulletproof, it is really thick and heavy

k14
24th April 2004, 17:02
I am pretty sure all top of the line gloves and leather suits are made of kangaroo leather now. The $2500 or so leathers from spidi are kangaroo leather, not sure what is so much better about it though, must be stronger or something.

FzerozeroT
24th April 2004, 18:14
yeah, my new gloves have kangaroo on the palm, went expensive cause it was the only place that got an injury.

I also have some possum skin driving gloves, aparrently it breathes better and doesn't stiffen when it gets wet then dries

SPman
24th April 2004, 18:37
breathes better and doesn't stiffen when it gets wet then dries Unlike the original possum

24th April 2004, 19:27
Feck that is CHEAP - my naturalwear jacket cost around $600something - mind you I'm pretty sure it is bulletproof, it is really thick and heavy
The big thick heavy jackets are probably about $150, I cant remember exactly, a while since I looked... They are also of variable quality sometimes, and are old/second hand. Last time I went to cash converters, a good leather jacket was $250... Its isnt really that expensive. At least at Savemart they do so much stuff they dont really know what is a really good leather jacket and what isnt.....and they price accordingly

laRIKin
24th April 2004, 21:16
A mate of mine and his mates were going through a bad patch of crashing when Gortex type jackets were newish here.
We told me that the leather jackets stood up to crashing (many times) and
was still a good jacket (with some repairs some times).
But because where he and his new mates were living (got transfered) it
rained alot, so he got himself a synthetic type jacket so he would not have carry a water proof jacket around and only had to carry water proof pants.

He told me, that if you have a crash in a leather jacket, you can still use the
jacket again and again and maybe had to get it repaired one day.

You are OK after a crash in the synthetic jacket, maybe better off because
of the extra padding etc. But the jacket was almost always toast afterwards,
and you had to buy a new one.

Now this was on the older type synthetic jacket, but I think that the same
applies to day.

Hope this is of some help.

Two Smoker
24th April 2004, 21:35
I agree with the fact that Synthetic will only last one crash...... Sweating shouldn't be a problem with synthetic, as Goretex is breathable.....

With draggin jeans, they are rated at about 140 kmh (look at the website and download the video of him getting dragged on his arse by motorcycles and a dragster) he stood up and it had gone through the jeans but not the kevlar....

Thats why i think its good that i have got both synthetic and leather, the funny thing is in total i have spent about 3500 on my bike and about 3500 on gear hehehe

El Dopa
24th April 2004, 21:55
You are OK after a crash in the synthetic jacket, maybe better off because of the extra padding etc. But the jacket was almost always toast afterwards, and you had to buy a new one.

Now this was on the older type synthetic jacket, but I think that the same
applies to day.

Hope this is of some help.

I've been investigating a lot of gear recently, and have basically been told the same thing about today's synthetic stuff. It's actually designed to rip away in patches as you slide down the road so it doesn't catch and start you rolling, the theory being that it's better to slide than roll.

So you have one off with a synthetic and you need a new jacket.

Holy Roller
24th April 2004, 22:54
I am pretty sure all top of the line gloves and leather suits are made of kangaroo leather now. The $2500 or so leathers from spidi are kangaroo leather, not sure what is so much better about it though, must be stronger or something.
My jacket is made from sheep skin leather. Really heavy (3 1/2 Kgs) compared to other jackets. Brought it in Hong Kong 10 yrs or so ago. It has stood up well even after a couple of bins. Some slight abrasion on the jacket arm where I slid down the road but not enough to be a talking point. I had to replace the zip after the last bin. Its starting to look shabby now and am thinking of replacing it with another leather one. :soon:

Ms Piggy
25th April 2004, 07:52
Sweating shouldn't be a problem with synthetic, as Goretex is breathable.....

I haven't found that at all. I sweat heaps in my jacket (not normal for me at all). :o

Two Smoker
25th April 2004, 08:26
I haven't found that at all. I sweat heaps in my jacket (not normal for me at all). :o
hmmm, do you still have the insert in??? because that will make you sweet and it isnt breathable. see if you can take out the insert and that should cease you troubles :niceone:

RiderInBlack
25th April 2004, 09:16
the theory being that it's better to slide than roll.
Another good reason why leather works so well, as long as you keep it well greased:whistle: I bet Wkid is rubbing his all the time :Pokey: :lol:

Mate lowsided on a diesel slick in his Draggon Jeans, and only loss a pocket. The diesel did help him slide but.

madandy
25th April 2004, 09:36
Whichever you wear you still want armour or some decent padding in there to help with the impact when you hit the ground aye.

sps996desmo
25th April 2004, 17:02
I've been riding road bikes since I was 17yrs. For the last 14yrs I have ,once a year, ridden down to Eastern Creek or Phillip Island from North Queensland. Most years it's been cold and wet down south. So after one wax cotton (suited the SS900 1976 lol) one nylon jacket ,two sets of leathers (one custom made), I bit the bullet and brought a 'Tiger Angel' 'Guardian suit'. I can't praise it highly enough, aaww to be dry, warm, and comfortable. It certainly help me ride better in the rain, on long days in the seat and with confidents. I have been down a couple of time, and found that my leathers looked like they had proper padding but were not up to the job. But with my new one's I feel confident is it comes to that I'll be OK.

anyway if you'd like to check them out,here the link www.tigerangel.com.au

25th April 2004, 18:41
With draggin jeans, they are rated at about 140 kmh (look at the website and download the video of him getting dragged on his arse by motorcycles and a dragster) he stood up and it had gone through the jeans but not the kevlar....

Doesnt work so well on chipseal though??

Two Smoker
25th April 2004, 19:38
Doesnt work so well on chipseal though??
Yep it does, look at the website, it has heaps of tests and photos.....

Coldkiwi
25th April 2004, 21:13
buy the thickest cow or skippy you can (they're chops now anyway so you'd might as well make use of the hide!). 0.8mm seems kinda skinny tho (ok on gloves where needed for feel) . I think the thickest i've seen advertised is 1.4mm on top one piece suits and the thicker the better (sure, they get a bit hefty but once you're in it, you forget about them).

wkid_one
25th April 2004, 21:24
but once you're in it, you forget about them).
Until you stop your bike that is........and then the race suit quickly becomes a wet suit

Skyryder
25th April 2004, 21:43
I came across a site some time ago that dealt with the very issues being raised. Leather v synthetics. The short answer was that leather stood up margainly better than synthetics in the slides. Where the difference was that the synthetics overall were of better quality than some of the leather wear. The problem with the cheaper leathers was the stitching in the seams and the design of the jackets and how seams stood up to stress. I think the very best leathers are superior to the very best of the synthetics but it is the sudden stop that does all the damage and in this area I do not think there is a lot of difference between the two.

Skyyryder