PDA

View Full Version : '89 Kawasaki ZXR250 Rebuild (project)

R6_kid
23rd April 2004, 20:21
I have recently purchased a dismantled '89 ZXR250 and will begin to rebuild it in the next few weeks. I intend to do this as a 'project' over the next few months, as money and time permit. My initial goal is to rebuild the bike and get it going spik and span, so first things first.

What I need:
-Repair Manual?
-Wiring diagram
-Haynes manual?
-Original users manual?

If you can help me with any of the above i would be more than thankful. Also if their are any mechanics or anyone else that has a good knowledge that wouldnt mind lending me a hand when i need it, please email me(gdeacon_nz@hotmail.com) or text me 021413898.
I will post photos soon, and also as i progress through building the bike.
cheers
gareth

pete376403
23rd April 2004, 21:12
How completely dismantled is it ie did the engine come in four boxes?
A pound to a knob of goat shit says it's not all there, and the reason that it's dismantled is that bits that are missing are the parts that can't be bought anywhere. But don't let that stand in the way, go for it and post your questions as they arise.

Posh Tourer :P
23rd April 2004, 22:59
I hope you have a good garage......You will need a good range of tools. Building a bike is not for the faint hearted. If you want to get things done properly while you are at it, eg cleaned and polished/running smoothly etc etc it will take you a while. We did a trial (loose) assembly of the beemer to find out what was missing and what it involved, before taking it to bits again, and putting things together perfectly, with the right torque settings (another useful thing in the manual) and all the lubrication etc etc. It sucks investing a huge amount of time and then discovering that you cant get part X for less than the bike is worth. Could be a good idea. Having tried to get a Haynes manual for a ZXR400, it doesnt appear to exist. Therefore, get a factory one. It will be invaluable... If only for specs of oil etc, and diagrams of what goes where and why it doesnt work when you put the bearings in backwards :doh:

R6_kid
25th April 2004, 16:13
the motor itself is 100% complete. The things missing are mainly not needed but are aesthetic/cosmetic like the hoses for the air intakes on the top.
Motomail are going to try and set me up with a manual of some type. My garage is pretty good so no probs there. I am keen to get this going as best as possible, as you say getting all the torque settings A+ aswell as lubing everything that needs it, if it turns out really well i will look at getting into track racing at pukekohe but thats a long way off. Thanks for the help, i will post pics as a get off my ass and start working on it.
:D

shandawg
26th April 2004, 10:24
Haynes etc don't do a manual for zxr250's.
I have a few bits and pieces that I scoured the net for ages to find, chuck your email up here and I'll send ya what I can find on my hard disk. :scooter:

R6_kid
26th April 2004, 11:06
gdeacon_nz at hotmail dot com

aff-man
26th April 2004, 13:10
Good luck finding parts especially fairings if you need them. If you are doing a full rebuild maybe a custone the subframes to fit another sort of fairing on or something . Post some pics if you got the time it will be cool to see the progress

jrandom
26th April 2004, 14:51
Best of luck putting it together. My $0.02 says you'll be spending a lot of time at the breakers hanging around while crusty old guys roll their eyes and sort through cardboard boxes full of obscure Kwak import parts.

And, in case nobody else has pointed this out, your sig is offensive. Which is fine, assuming that's the impression you're trying for. Expect people on this forum to start thinking of you as an annoying teenage prick with a mail-order attitude. 'Fuck the police' indeed. Idiot.

R6_kid
26th April 2004, 15:59
the fairing side of things is sorted, justfairings.co.nz does remakes for 89' ZXR250 for round $750.

note taken - signature changed

jrandom
26th April 2004, 16:18
note taken - signature changed

Eh? Goodness, boy, you need a bit of practice at this game, don't you? You're supposed to roast me with badly-spelled counter-accusations of stuffiness, mindless brown-nosing of the Establishment and repressed, deviant desires involving Helen Clark. You'll never make it as a troll if you keep on in this fashion.

;)

aff-man
27th April 2004, 12:17
Just fairings are ok i looked at them when i went hunting for fairings for my bike. But i got told that because they are fibreglass remakes they don't fit as well and they also need to be sprayed which is another couple of hundy so you'll be looking at roughly 1600 - 2000 just on fairings which as before mentioned excludes all mechanical hick-ups along the way . Go steetfighter styles = cheaper + can customise . All you need is someone who can fibreglass (which is really simple)

R6_kid
27th April 2004, 16:03
paintings a doozie for me, can get it done for a 24 pack of beer :apint: My father is in the airforce and one of his mates works in the respray factory, and they dont paint much so im sure they wont mind.

When you say streetfighter what exactly do you mean? If i do find someone that can fibreglass i mite look at repairing the fairings myself, but that is only a maybe.

Ghost Lemur
27th April 2004, 16:36
paintings a doozie for me, can get it done for a 24 pack of beer :apint: My father is in the airforce and one of his mates works in the respray factory, and they dont paint much so im sure they wont mind.

When you say streetfighter what exactly do you mean? If i do find someone that can fibreglass i mite look at repairing the fairings myself, but that is only a maybe.

Here's a couple of example I found googling...

R6_kid
28th April 2004, 08:20
cheers, i see what you mean. If i go down that road i would just get a new top fairing (or customised one) and just leave the side fairings off. HOWEVER i see that on AFFMAN's old ZXR he has already done this!!! Sucks BFD when you try to be original then find someone has already done it :angry2:

aff-man
28th April 2004, 15:13
Huh which old zxr??? They are off at the moment because i am repeiring them :doh: . But i might take a look at doing the streetfighter styles myself because i can fibreglass and it might cost to much to get fairings fixed. BWT i found this bog that is really good at fixing fairings as well as plastic welding with a soldering iron ect ect ect

aff-man
28th April 2004, 15:15
Where abouts on the north shore you at cause you can PM me and maybe i can come take a look see it always interests me to see bikes being put together :2thumbsup

R6_kid
28th April 2004, 18:37
im gonna organise for andrew to come round some time to size up how high i need to sit the engine to build the frame onto it. If you could come over some time and check out the condition of my fairings I could decide whether it is feasible doing it myself. I'm looking to learn as much as possible from whoever wants to help.

aff-man
29th April 2004, 20:58
yip just give the word and i'll be happy to help where i can and stuff.

shandawg
17th May 2004, 21:42
Just found a full manual online for the ZXR400, which I think you will find is pretty much identical in construction and layout to the 250

Check it out: http://www.zxrworld.com/zxr400/download.html

Hope this is some help to you