PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle parking in Wellington CBD

matt77
5th April 2006, 13:54
Hi - just wondered if anyone uses any of the bike parks or knows of a decent car-park, that offers motorcycling parking, in Wellington CBD?

Cheers

madboy
5th April 2006, 13:59
Yep. I generally use one of the ones off the side of Featherston St. If you love your bike, don't park it near scooters, learner bikes or on anything other than a flat surface. The bike parks on the terrace can be interesting because of the gradient.

I've heard some of the carparks you can get into free. I've yet to try myself.

Jonty
5th April 2006, 14:01
Hi - just wondered if anyone uses any of the bike parks or knows of a decent car-park, that offers motorcycling parking, in Wellington CBD?

Cheers

There are shiteloads of parks in and around the CBD. Thanks to an emial barrage of the WCC they are still free also. The more prominent parks are on Mercer Street and Victoria Street. For Courtney place there is one by the bungy. Just make sure you know which way the wind is blowing before you choose one eh St8jacket:cool:

COP_B8
5th April 2006, 14:04
I used to use the one of Featherston Street, (by the National Bank) but that gets pretty full now. Just use the University ones now though - as madboy sys though keep away from Scooters they tend to blow over easy and Domino's with motorbikes aint fun

Str8 Jacket
5th April 2006, 14:04
Just make sure you know which way the wind is blowing before you choose one eh St8jacket:cool:

sob sob, yeah its not fun watching your bike being blown over. Though im lucky and park right outside my work and can also keep an eye on my bike from my office...
Im pretty sure that there is a website that tells you where all he bike parks are, dont ask me what it is though sorry! But like Jonty says there are heaps of them around! Though they are slowly being taken over by scooters.

clint640
5th April 2006, 14:09
Yeah, there are plenty of parks for bikes in Welly, we found some next to this funny looking building:

Cheers
Clint

Jase W
5th April 2006, 14:33
Be very wary of the terrace parks!!

One night I follishly left my old bike there, and when I came back it was on its side (it gets extremely windy on the terrace).

However there was minimal damage then what should have been (only scratches on the bottom fairing, should have caused alot more damage), so im guessing someone may have laid it down gently for me?? (This was a few months ago now)

Bend-it
5th April 2006, 14:56
Yeah, I park in the carpark where I work. The bandit *just* makes it between the end of the barrier and the pillar. Carpark nazis seem to ignore bikes if you're considerate about where you park them.

Hitcher
5th April 2006, 15:16
I suspect Matt77 may be referring to under-cover parking, rather than the kerbside offerings freely provided by the Wellington City Council?

Str8 Jacket
5th April 2006, 15:21
Ah,ok then. I remember nudemetalz saying that they allow people to park their motorcycles at the James Smith car park. You can ride around the barrier arm. I cant remember exactly where you are allowed to park but maybe you could PM him... Or with luck he may see this thread.

kiwisfly
5th April 2006, 15:33
Used to see bikes undercover in the Queens wharf carpark. May pay to double check if it's still a acceptable.

matt77
5th April 2006, 15:43
Yep, undercover - bikes pretty new and is only form of transport so can't really afford for it to be bumped by a hairdryer scooter. I've looked at a few but none offer dedicated bike parking. Queens Wharf offer a space by the barrier for $67/month. There is one up on the terrace but they want $55 a week which is the same cost for a car....

nudemetalz
5th April 2006, 15:54
Yes, Str8 Jacket is completely correct. James Smith Carpark is a great place to park the bike. Free and also free of being blown over. Relatively secure too.

Jonty
5th April 2006, 16:14
Yep, undercover - bikes pretty new and is only form of transport so can't really afford for it to be bumped by a hairdryer scooter. I've looked at a few but none offer dedicated bike parking. Queens Wharf offer a space by the barrier for $67/month. There is one up on the terrace but they want $55 a week which is the same cost for a car....

That is daylight robbery:gob: check out James Smith instead. Also, if your work has a carpark then see if you can get access to it and sneak it in beside someones car (that was my plan and has worked out so far).

Kendog
5th April 2006, 17:51
That is daylight robbery:gob: check out James Smith instead. Also, if your work has a carpark then see if you can get access to it and sneak it in beside someones car (that was my plan and has worked out so far).

Thats what I do as well. Slotted into a spot where a car can't park in the work car parking area.

Slingshot
5th April 2006, 19:37
Where abouts in the CBD are you talking...it's a fairly big area.

stevedee
5th April 2006, 20:17
Um don't know what the carpark is called but the one that is right at the side of the Duxton Hotel is free for bikes, they let you ride round the barrier and you park beneath the spiral exit under cover.

spd:-)

nudemetalz
5th April 2006, 20:23
Um don't know what the carpark is called but the one that is right at the side of the Duxton Hotel is free for bikes, they let you ride round the barrier and you park beneath the spiral exit under cover.

spd:-)

That's the James Smith Carpark building I mentioned.
It's great !!

Drum
5th April 2006, 20:34
Theres also a roadside park outside Wellington Motorcycles on Kent Terrace.
I normally squeeze in behind a phone box off Courtney Place, and the wardens seem pretty leniant. I've seen them walk right past the bike and not even look twice.

Skytwr
5th April 2006, 20:56
Sorry it is not Wellington but I found that bikes can park for free in the Atrium Hotel car park on Albert Street In Auckland. Just ride around the barrier arms on the way on and out. I spoke to the management about this so i did not get nab for not paying.

Under cover, with security
all good

Shadows
5th April 2006, 21:24
Yerp James Smith always works for me.

Hawkeye
5th April 2006, 21:29
I'm lucky that I can park inside the carpark which is under our Building on the Terrace. Things are getting a bit tight under there now as more and more are taking to 2 wheels (especially scooters). If your not in early then it can be a bit of a challenge.

I park the cage in the James Cook carpark whenever I need to use it. Noticed a few bikes in there. They park up against a wall and it does not affect any of the cage bays so it will be interesting to find out if there is a charge. Nothing to stop you riding around the barrier at the hotel entrance so I may check it out.

Velox
5th April 2006, 23:39
I vaguely remember hearing about someone's bike being nicked or damaged or something when it was parked in James Smiths - wasn't it someone on KB?

magicfairy
6th April 2006, 08:58
Theres also a roadside park outside Wellington Motorcycles on Kent Terrace.
I normally squeeze in behind a phone box off Courtney Place, and the wardens seem pretty leniant. I've seen them walk right past the bike and not even look twice.
You have to be out of that one by 4pm, it turns into a Clearway and you get towed.

riffer
6th April 2006, 20:12
The solution to that is to ride it up to the footpath outside WMCC, and mooch around the bike shop for a little while...

Of course if its a pretty tidy looking bike you could go around the back and park it with the bikes they've finished servicing. :laugh:

j/k guys... I wouldn't do that. I have a nice park at work just two doors down on Kent Terrace.

XP@
7th April 2006, 15:54
The wardens don't seem to bother much about parking on street corners, I've been parking on one for a couple of years without tickets (unless I havn't been displaying wof and reg.)

madboy
8th April 2006, 01:54
...(unless I havn't been displaying wof and reg.)I've been waiting for one of those tickets for a while, touch wood. Mine are carefully stowed under my seat, even when it is registered. And the WOF is a week over now too.

XP@
10th April 2006, 12:10
I've been waiting for one of those tickets for a while, touch wood. Mine are carefully stowed under my seat, even when it is registered. And the WOF is a week over now too.
They don't seem to notice if your front is towards the kerb, because they don't wander round on to the road to check the back of your bike

madboy
10th April 2006, 13:59
They don't seem to notice if your front is towards the kerb, because they don't wander round on to the road to check the back of your bikeUsually it's my whole bike parked on the footpath. Do you think they'd notice that?

Swoop
10th April 2006, 14:09
Queens Wharf offer a space by the barrier for $67/month. There is one up on the terrace but they want $55 a week which is the same cost for a car....
Geeeze!!!
That's pretty insulting. For that price I would want to take up an entire car space and piss off cagers trying to park there.
How many more bikes can they fit into the same area of parking space. Costs should be far cheaper. If they designated an entire floor of the parking building to bikes, then far more bikers could fit in!!!:woohoo: