PDA

View Full Version : urgent tyre advice

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 14:56
Hiya,

Need some new tyres for the CBR250.

So far I've got GPR70's - not shit hot in the wet - $450 fitted,

Continental Contiforce - only need a rear - $295 fitted. (for one tyre:thud:)

Dunlop Arrowmax - $350 fitted

Bridgestone BattleAxe - $500 fitted

Sport Demons - $350 fitted - had them before don't want them.

Now how many of you have owned these tyres and ridden fairly hard in the WET?? Which do you guys recommend.

Arrowmax's seem to be the best price wise or The BattleAxe's -

Don't really care about price - want the best tyre for trackdays and twisty roads. I bought a car to commute.

MSTRS
5th April 2006, 15:00
So you want a high performance tyre(s) then? You need to ask yourself, 'Do I want performance on a dry road or a wet?" Street tyres are always gonna be a compromise

ManDownUnder
5th April 2006, 15:07
I personally like the Battleaxes, but then the RF is a different beast to yours re weight etc.

limbimtimwim
5th April 2006, 15:08
My Bridgestone 'Battlax' BT-090s make me happy.

I did a write up. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25454

I think they come just small enough for your 250.

I have learnt later they are non scary in the wet. I don't mind riding in the wet, but I never ever push it.

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:10
So you want a high performance tyre(s) then? You need to ask yourself, 'Do I want performance on a dry road or a wet?" Street tyres are always gonna be a compromise

Yeah mate that's the problem - finding an allround tyre.

Since it's winter there will probably be more wet riding done. So I want a high performance wet tyre.

If this was summer I'd have the GPR70's on in a flash.

Thing is I'm getting them installed tomorrow - so it's a bit urgent in that respect.

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:17
My Bridgestone 'Battlax' BT-090s make me happy.

I did a write up. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25454

I think they come just small enough for your 250.

I have learnt later they are non scary in the wet. I don't mind riding in the wet, but I never ever push it.

Just read your review - looks good.

But since I'm probably only going to do maybe 3 trackdays in the four months I have till I get my full - I wonder if I need the Battleaxes - at $500 they are the most expensive small bike tyre I've heard of.

Are the Arrowmaxes - really that much worse???

limbimtimwim
5th April 2006, 15:18
Are the Arrowmaxes - really that much worse???Have not had Dunlops on the RVF. I had a Dunlop front on my old 250 and liked that.

sAsLEX
5th April 2006, 15:19
GPR70s are fine in the wet, just learn to ride

loosebruce
5th April 2006, 15:24
Yea wots wrong with GPR70's in the wet?????

SimJen
5th April 2006, 15:25
Yeah GPR70's are fine in the wet. No problems, just not as good as some others.
But they are wicked in the dry on a small bike :)
Go for the SP versions for extra stickiness.

Acid
5th April 2006, 15:27
hey i have dunlop arowmaxs and i have not had any problems with them, i also use the bike to commute daily and so far when its wet they have been spot on and have not felt even close to breaking traction even doing 100+.

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:31
Yea wots wrong with GPR70's in the wet?????

No experience - bloody ZXR which had them on blew up before I had a chance.

So you saying they're fine?? Serious question.

Don't compare your riding to mine though -

sAsLEX
5th April 2006, 15:33
So you saying they're fine?? Serious question.

there is nothing wrong with them in the wet

loosebruce
5th April 2006, 15:36
Don't compare your riding to mine though -

I wouldn't have a fucking clue then.

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:40
I wouldn't have a fucking clue then.

Stop being a smartarse and answer the question. Or else I'll give you the bash:bash:

Devil
5th April 2006, 15:43
Ask cycletreads about BT45's. Better than sport demons, guy there was telling me he had his knee down in the wet on them.

(Had them after the demons on the old 250).

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:45
Ask cycletreads about BT45's. Better than sport demons, guy there was telling me he had his knee down in the wet on them.

(Had them after the demons on the old 250).

hey Devil how's it going mate, long time.

What are BT45's?

loosebruce
5th April 2006, 15:52
Or else I'll give you the bash:bash:

:killingme right, as said GPR's are good wet or dry.

loosebruce
5th April 2006, 15:53
What are BT45's?

Shit! .......

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:57
:killingme right, as said GPR's are good wet or dry.

OK peeps - Decision made - :2thumbsup

GPR70's going on tomorrow

justsomeguy
5th April 2006, 15:59
Shit! .......

Are they? - Well taken your and a few other people's advice and gone with the GPR's.

Cheers for your advice guys.

Love KB - SpankMe's dream has come true - "The best biking resource indeed".

HDTboy
5th April 2006, 17:22
Ask Kit about me going round the outside of him in turn one at Taupo in the wet. GPR 70s are great in the wet, but shit at high speed on grass

bugjuice
5th April 2006, 17:46
why do you want to be riding hard in the wet?

DEATH_INC.
5th April 2006, 17:54
I wouldn't have a fucking clue .
this is true :Pokey:

bugjuice
5th April 2006, 17:57
Ask Kit about me going round the outside of him in turn one at Taupo in the wet. GPR 70s are great in the wet, but shit at high speed on grass
wasn't turn one, I thought it was the sweeper..??
I don't go hard in the wet. No reason to. Besides, if you dropped your bike, vs me dropping my bike doing the same thing, who's gonna come off worse? If I had your bike, I wouldn't have slowed down either..

Two Smoker
6th April 2006, 15:29
wasn't turn one, I thought it was the sweeper..??
I don't go hard in the wet. No reason to. Besides, if you dropped your bike, vs me dropping my bike doing the same thing, who's gonna come off worse? If I had your bike, I wouldn't have slowed down either..

More excuses for being slow aye??? hehehe

bugjuice
6th April 2006, 15:32
More excuses for being slow aye??? hehehe
bite me.
come on then, right now, we'll go round the block... pfft...

and you'd still probably beat me...

Two Smoker
6th April 2006, 15:35
bite me.
come on then, right now, we'll go round the block... pfft...

and you'd still probably beat me...

Im keen, but im still in hospital...

bugjuice
6th April 2006, 15:50
k? like that'd slow u down..

slob
6th April 2006, 17:54
Regardless of whether it is dry or wet, what really counts is getting your tyres up to the right temp. The GPR70s will be fine in the wet as long as you don't try dragging knee right out of the driveway..

limbimtimwim
7th April 2006, 12:26
Are they? - Well taken your and a few other people's advice and gone with the GPR's. I know you probably have not even scrubbed them in, but what do you reckon?

justsomeguy
7th April 2006, 22:19
I know you probably have not even scrubbed them in, but what do you reckon?

Only got them on today. Went for a blat down the motorway to the city to see the launch and back home. Done about 30 kms in total.

They are beautiful in the wet. Didn't go for any lean angle, still have 1 inch chicken strips, but the grip was awesome.

I'm going out on the track tomorrow regardless of the weather. I trust these tyres, now I just have to learn to trust myself.:niceone:

sAsLEX
7th April 2006, 23:44
Done about 30 kms in total

I'm going out on the track tomorrow regardless of the weather. I trust these tyres

Might pay to scrub them in before trusting them.......

justsomeguy
8th April 2006, 01:16
Might pay to scrub them in before trusting them.......

Is there anyway to do this without having to ride on the bloody wet and slippery roads??

qldzxr250a
8th April 2006, 09:06
Dry Warm Grippy roads..... :bleh: :violin:

sorry.....

Bend-it
10th April 2006, 16:30
So, how've the tyres been? Keen to know... Thanks!

I have irc somethings on my bandit at the mo, and am generally paranoid about leaning over in bends... especially in the wet, with metal manhole covers every 4 metres. Can you really lean and not fall over? I guess it makes sense in theory with centrifugal force and all... Just feels wrong, ya know? haha!

justsomeguy
10th April 2006, 21:15
So, how've the tyres been? Keen to know... Thanks!

I have irc somethings on my bandit at the mo, and am generally paranoid about leaning over in bends... especially in the wet, with metal manhole covers every 4 metres. Can you really lean and not fall over? I guess it makes sense in theory with centrifugal force and all... Just feels wrong, ya know? haha!

Leaning over has more to do with skill and experience, tyres help but it's more the rider than tyres. Purely leaning more doesn't mean going faster, different people have different styles, some hang off and stick their knee out, others sit on the bike - both styles can be equally fast.

If you want to push hard in the wet try and hang off more, not lean the bike over.

The tyres are great, they gripped well and I felt comfortable going just as hard in the wet.

I think they would be good for maybe 2 trackdays or around 200-250 kms in total on a track like Pukekohe at my riding level.

On the road I hope they last for a few thousand at least. I don't commute and only ride country roads and do the odd trackday so they're perfect for me.

What sort of riding do you do?

N4CR
10th April 2006, 21:43
DID YOU CHECK THE HEADLIGHT WARNING FLUID LEVEL AND THE TYRE OIL PRESSURE BEFORE SETTING OUT UPON THE ROADs IN THE HOPE OF A TOOTLING EXHAUST BOX EXPLODE?

IRC's ARE SHIT for all out speed buuuut teach you how to slide easy ;) . Nuff said.

bugjuice
10th April 2006, 21:45
Can you really lean and not fall over? I guess it makes sense in theory with centrifugal force and all... Just feels wrong, ya know? haha!
I'd recommend you start back on a push bike if that's a serious question..
and yeah, manhole covers and white lines are to be avoided in the wet..

JSG, you reckon you'd get 200kms or 2 track days out of a pair of tyres on the track? you doing burnouts on them or something?

N4CR
10th April 2006, 21:49
JSG, you reckon you'd get 200kms or 2 track days out of a pair of tyres on the track? you doing burnouts on them or something?

He is checking his oil while drifting on the crankcase bro. Duuuuh!

What did you get in the end JSG?

justsomeguy
10th April 2006, 21:57
He is checking his oil while drifting on the crankcase bro. Duuuuh!

What did you get in the end JSG?

A pair of GPR70's.

justsomeguy
10th April 2006, 22:01

Tyres look thoroughly shagged with bits of rubber falling off. The guys at the track reckon most of that stuff will scrub off with road riding.

So I don't really know for sure. The front tyre looks wayyyyyy newer than the back - why?? It's only a 250.

bugjuice
10th April 2006, 23:02
250 and 400 cc racers can do several meets on a pair of tyres, that's why I ask. Unless you were being towed and/or going flat out none stop, I'd be asking for my money back on those. The blistering/balls of rubber will scrub off on the road, and the tyre will look none the better for being on the road. The amount you probably scrubbed off on the track would most likely be less than what you'd do going round the coro loop. And how many times would you be going round there on one set of tyres?

Hell, even me on a road going 600 would expect more than 2 track days out of a pair of tyres.. Yes, I know some can fuk'em in one, but there aren't many

justsomeguy
10th April 2006, 23:28
250 and 400 cc racers can do several meets on a pair of tyres, that's why I ask. Unless you were being towed and/or going flat out none stop, I'd be asking for my money back on those. The blistering/balls of rubber will scrub off on the road, and the tyre will look none the better for being on the road.

Right - have only done the Puke trackday and back home. Shall see how they pan out.

The amount you probably scrubbed off on the track would most likely be less than what you'd do going round the coro loop. And how many times would you be going round there on one set of tyres?

Hell, even me on a road going 600 would expect more than 2 track days out of a pair of tyres.. Yes, I know some can fuk'em in one, but there aren't many

You're right I do scrub off more surface on the loop. I guess since this is the first time I've had tyres in this condition I need to sit it out and see how long they actually last. May go out there this Sat too weather dependant, I want at least one dry session.

_intense_
10th April 2006, 23:29
Hiya, i had GPR70s and 80s on my cibbe, and they were both sweeeet (70s a bit sweeeter) gotta ask, how much wet riding are you gonna be doin wet? roadtryres always built to suit a varity of conditions man, if its a dedicated tracker, get wets for wet? hope this helps sway your decision. MC22. nice. :stoogie:

justsomeguy
10th April 2006, 23:35
Hiya, i had GPR70s and 80s on my cibbe, and they were both sweeeet (70s a bit sweeeter) gotta ask, how much wet riding are you gonna be doin wet? roadtryres always built to suit a varity of conditions man, if its a dedicated tracker, get wets for wet? hope this helps sway your decision. MC22 :stogie:

It's my road bike, not a track bike. I'm just going out to get some training not pushing that hard, I'm a pretty slow rider.

70's are sweet but they were showing way more damage than others on near new R1's and CBR1000RR's which has me wondering if there's something farcked with the tyres.

Never mind.

Two Smoker
11th April 2006, 08:37
What pressure were you running??? I can make my 400 tyres last 3 race meetings (equivalent to 300 odd kms), and im not exactly nice on tyres... My 600 tyres can last 5 race meetings...

Your 250 should be sweet on tyres, the only problem i can see is tyre pressure

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 11:01
Your 250 should be sweet on tyres, the only problem i can see is tyre pressure

Filled up at the start of the day 35 F , 37 R.

I usually run 37F, 39 R.

JSG

Devil
11th April 2006, 12:38
Sounds far too high to me.
Try 31/33 or 30/32.

bugjuice
11th April 2006, 13:20
sounds ok to me imho.. sportier tyres run a higher pressure on the road, vs slightly 'cruisier' bikes like yours, Dev.. But also depends on flavour of tyre too. The Vipers I've been told to run at 38/40 and drop it a little for the track. I run it about 2 under that

sAsLEX
11th April 2006, 13:49
sounds ok to me imho.. sportier tyres run a higher pressure on the road, vs slightly 'cruisier' bikes like yours, Dev.. But also depends on flavour of tyre too. The Vipers I've been told to run at 38/40 and drop it a little for the track. I run it about 2 under that

run 32 back and front the whole time on me MC22 with GPRs

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 14:29
run 32 back and front the whole time on me MC22 with GPRs

I used to run 36 - 38 on the continental contiforces.

I like a hard ride and stiff suspension.

The GPRs had 28 - 32 when I first got them, felt rather soft to me. So at the first opportunity I raised them to 37 - 39 and felt right at home.

bugjuice
11th April 2006, 14:32
I like a hard ride and stiff ...
you're now poos' and Dover's best friend..

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 14:34

At a race meet MR ran I think 26 - 28 on his GSXR race bike and his bro Slob ran similar pressures at the taupo trackday on his GSXR750 road bike.

bugjuice
11th April 2006, 14:39
yes, but what tyres were they running?
it's all about tyres and personal pref. Some people prefer to run softer, some harder. It's all about how much feedback and confidence the tyre gives you. You could swap with someone who has the same setup and not like it, cos their tyres are too hard/soft for your liking.. If you don't slide off, and you like the ride, then leave it..

Two Smoker
11th April 2006, 15:34
At a race meet MR ran I think 26 - 28 on his GSXR race bike and his bro Slob ran similar pressures at the taupo trackday on his GSXR750 road bike.

Standard race pressure on race tyres is 30 psi... run 26-28 and it feels like shit...

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 15:57
If you don't slide off, and you like the ride, then leave it..

Yeah buggy, that's kind of the approach I'm taking at the mo.

loosebruce
14th April 2006, 01:40
If your tyres are showing abnormal wear at good pressure then your suspension is most likely on the sad side. Either that or you're a complete muppet :shit:

SixPackBack
14th April 2006, 07:50
Either that or you're a complete muppet :shit:

......................:motu:

DEATH_INC.
14th April 2006, 08:23
I have irc somethings on my bandit at the mo, and am generally paranoid about leaning over in bends... especially in the wet,
Take it easy on those things in the wet, they're good in the dry but shockers in the rain......draco had 'em on the cbr and loved 'em, 'till we got caught on 22 in the rain one day, she swapped bikes with me cause they slid around so much....so we pulled 'em.
Try the new avon venoms, mates got 'em on his VFR400 and loves 'em.

DEATH_INC.
14th April 2006, 08:32
If your tyres are showing abnormal wear you're a complete muppet :shit:
Talking from experience? :Pokey:
JSG, dunlops are prone to fastish wearing (still great tyres though) and tend to chop up and go fuzzy etc fairly easily, don't worry about it.
For next time, go with the gpr80 rear if ya stick with the dunlops, almost as sticky and last a bit better, or try the Vipers.
If they wear out real fast, get in touch and we'll talk to the dunlop man, he looked after me well with the d218 thing....

loosebruce
17th April 2006, 22:57
Try the new avon venoms, mates got 'em on his VFR400 and loves 'em.

Who's the muppet now old man.=?

N4CR
17th April 2006, 23:06
Who's the muppet now old man.=?

Yeah and he said GPR80's, they aren't made anymore new range is gpr100s.. what I have

Must be getting old eh?! :done: