PDA

View Full Version : New number plate 'font'?

Phurrball
5th April 2006, 15:35
Has anyone else noticed that the most recently issued number plates (on cages) seem to be a different 'font'?

The letters appear to be a little more square and slightly smaller overall. (Saw 2 cars with 'D' three-letter plates in the new font on my walk back to the library)

Anyone want to shed light on this change? I assume that there's a reason, and it's more than just aesthetic?

Easier for numberplate recognition equipment? :sherlock: Another more benign reason perhaps...?

ManDownUnder
5th April 2006, 15:44
Can't say I've seen it but it begs the question - what if I made myself a plate with a different font on it...

A nice rounded italicised font in blue perhaps?

Phurrball
5th April 2006, 15:47
I quite like the idea of roman numerals :yes: I know not why?

ZeroIndex
5th April 2006, 16:11
in south africa, they've been using perspex plates for ages, which was really cool... it was black perspex, then the number plate layer, then clear perspex as the 'front'... the other cool thing is the color differences:
Green writing - Personalised plate color
Red writing - Government vehicles
Blue writing - Standard passenger/etc vehicles
Black writing - Taxi plate

Sniper
5th April 2006, 16:15

WRONG!!!! It was black writing with bullet holes

limbimtimwim
5th April 2006, 16:22
Yes, I have.

They appear to be the same 'font' as Australian plates.

Perhaps they are being made in Australia..? No idea.

I might be dreaming, but they could a few MM smaller width wise as well.

froggyfrenchman
5th April 2006, 16:29
Its a conspirasy i tells ya!

ZeroIndex
5th April 2006, 16:34
WRONG!!!! It was black writing with bullet holes
haha NICE!!! I was just suggesting the 'out-of-factory...before-fitting' color...

Have some green rep, that put a grin on... my chin

Phurrball
5th April 2006, 16:35
(snip)
They appear to be the same 'font' as Australian plates.

(snip)

Hmmm, right you are.

The previous status quo font was around for a long time - the change vexes me.

madboy
5th April 2006, 17:39
Have you not noticed that what happens in Australia with regard to traffic matters happens here sooner or later? Speed Cameras. Graphic drink drive adds. Rigid enforcement of speed limits while ignoring many other driving issues. Just wait until they introduce double demerits for xmas. Your xmas pressie might be late cos Santa will be stuck behind the granny doing 80k cos she's too scared to get near 100k in case she gets busted.

Madness
5th April 2006, 17:54
Green writing - Personalised plate color
Red writing - Government vehicles
Blue writing - Standard passenger/etc vehicles

That must be so the car-jackers know which ones to go for; Green ones and Blue ones. Red and black ones are probably weilding firearms.

I had to get a replacement plate for my Zed. Same "new" font as on new cars. The W's and M's look funny, all miniature like in comparison to old font.
They are probably being pressed in China, by a Boeing service company, on the side like.

pzkpfw
5th April 2006, 18:03
Can't say I've seen it but it begs the question - what if I made myself a plate with a different font on it...

A nice rounded italicised font in blue perhaps?

I'm sure you really know this - you can't make your own plate - even if it looks just like a "real" one.

When I worked at Motor Reg. I saw one clever idea getting kicked back.

A company was making copies of dealer plates (the yellow test-drive ones) in the magnetic peel-off sign stuff.

It was so dealers could slap the plate on any car quickly without messing with screwdrivers and stuff.

But it wasn't an "official" plate, so was illegal.

Cheers,

ZeroIndex
5th April 2006, 18:32
That must be so the car-jackers know which ones to go for; Green ones and Blue ones. Red and black ones are probably weilding firearms.
haha HARDLY!!! Blue mostly means I've got a firearm, Green mostly means I've got a bigger firearm cause I can afford a personalised plate. Black mostly means I've got enough subwoofers DBs to kill all 38 passengers in my toyota minibus :cool:

Hitcher
5th April 2006, 18:41
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I saw a DF**** plate the other day and, at first glance, thought it may have been an Australian rego.

The new font is probably to aid camera recognition.

I wonder whether the font for personalised plates will change as well. It's already slightly different to the "normal" plates.

Grizz
5th April 2006, 18:55
I wonder whether the font for personalised plates will change as well. It's already slightly different to the "normal" plates.

Hitcher, yes it has, for bikes cars and PP's. I think the bikes changed over before the cars. Also we just got a set of PP's and the new font is on them.

Shadows
5th April 2006, 23:04
If they start this camera recognition thing I'm taking the fucking plates off for good.

Phurrball
6th April 2006, 16:27
Have you not noticed that what happens in Australia with regard to traffic matters happens here sooner or later? (snip).

Hmmm, too true I fear...when you put it like that, it cant't be a change for 'good'...

Drum
6th April 2006, 16:35
Camera Recognition is just the tip of the iceberg.
At my last employer we were investigating road studs (look just like the normal ceramic domes) that can have speed cameras in them, plate recognition and also weigh in motion. They could also change colour (LEDS) if you were following too close to the car in front, or if you are travelling too fast for the upcoming corner!

Yes thats right, speed cameras fixed into the road surface!:gob:

Phurrball
7th April 2006, 12:34
(snip):gob:

Drum! You're scaring me!

That is the road equivalent of the boogie monster under the bed - some of us may be damaged by such thoughts, adopt the foetal position, and never leave the house by motorised contrivance again! :crybaby:

C_A
7th April 2006, 12:57
At my last employer we were investigating road studs (look just like the normal ceramic domes) that can have speed cameras in them, plate recognition and also weigh in motion. They could also change colour (LEDS) if you were following too close to the car in front, or if you are travelling too fast for the upcoming corner!

easy

angle your plates upward heavily :P

tis same font as in europe etc, which kinda makles the government lose out on money for retrofitting europlates, which you can get for $50 or so ex overseas.... just doesnt have the gay little nz bit on the side

Phurrball
7th April 2006, 15:07
easy

angle your plates upward heavily :P

(snip)

Then God and the aliens and the satellites and the POlice chopper will all read them...Oh woe is the paranoia (p/t)

Just as well I'm good eh? :innocent:

But yeah, the weighing exercise does edge closer to tampering with the plate and taking the risk of teh $200 rather than being tracked by 'the man'

Skyryder
22nd April 2006, 19:09

Came across a site some time ago where the whole ticketing process is automated. Get pinged the photo+speed is uplifted via satalite, downloaded, etc plate recognition is matched to your address and infringment notice processed and mailed, all untouched by human hand. The signal for this teck to come is when the Government require bikes to have front mounted rego plates. Any bets when LTNZ are going to pull this one out of the bag.

Skyryder

Enforcement - the plate number is used to produce a violation fine on speed or red-light systems The manual process of preparing a violation fine is replaced by an automated process which reduces the overhead and turnaround time. The fines can be viewed and paid on-line.

The photo is an example of a speeding car caught by the traffic camera. The rear vehicle plate is automatically extracted off the scanned film image, replacing a tedious manual operation and the need to develope and print the violation. The datablock on the top-right side is additional speeding information that is automatically extracted from the developed film and used to complete the fine notice and inserted to a database. The violators can pay the fine on-line and are presented with this photo as a proof with the speeding information.

from http://www.licenseplaterecognition.com/

popelli
22nd April 2006, 19:20
in the UK they are bringing in / have brought in points on your licence for an illegal plate / wrong font / size etc

so ultimately they can take your licence off you, NZ will follow this practice as sure as night follows day

NZ brought in continuous registration a few years ago, UK have followed up with a variation on this theme

All govts are looking at stealth taxes and plugging holes in their revenue collection process, it is nothing to do with safety, it is all to do with revenue collection

Skyryder
22nd April 2006, 19:26
Came across a site some time ago where the whole ticketing process is automated. Get pinged the photo+speed is uplifted via satalite, downloaded, etc plate recognition is matched to your address and infringment notice processed and mailed, all untouched by human hand. The signal for this teck to come is when the Government require bikes to have front mounted rego plates. Any bets when LTNZ are going to pull this one out of the bag.

Skyryder

Enforcement - the plate number is used to produce a violation fine on speed or red-light systems The manual process of preparing a violation fine is replaced by an automated process which reduces the overhead and turnaround time. The fines can be viewed and paid on-line.

The photo is an example of a speeding car caught by the traffic camera. The rear vehicle plate is automatically extracted off the scanned film image, replacing a tedious manual operation and the need to develope and print the violation. The datablock on the top-right side is additional speeding information that is automatically extracted from the developed film and used to complete the fine notice and inserted to a database. The violators can pay the fine on-line and are presented with this photo as a proof with the speeding information.

Anyone know anything about this. My highlights

A limited version of Bott's dots technology designed to illuminate foggy roads has been tested in Scotland and New Zealand. Trials of in-road camera systems have also been made, but the underground fiber optic cabling required to connect the devices with a central processing unit proved far more expensive than conventional speed camera units. The latest road marker cameras manufactured by Astucia Traffic Management Systems now use wireless technology (GPRS) to link the dots together, making the devices economically attractive to governments looking to issue freeway speeding citations.

from http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/613.asp

Skyryder

The fuckers are here.

http://www.intertraffic.com/marketplace/mypage/pressreleases_detail.asp?mypageid=206&newsid=510

Sky

limbimtimwim
22nd April 2006, 19:55
The inground cameras won't be so obvious. But easy to disable without damaging them...

Skyryder
22nd April 2006, 20:19
HOW FAST IS THE MILKY WAY GALAXY MOVING WITHIN THE LOCAL GROUP OF GALAXIES?
The Milky way Galaxy is just one galaxy in a group of galaxies called the Local Group. Within the Local Group, the Milky Way Galaxy is moving about 185 miles/sec (300 km/sec).

Looks like we're all speeding.

Skyryder

Pixie
24th April 2006, 10:07
I quite like the idea of roman numerals :yes: I know not why?
Binary,anyone?

Pixie
24th April 2006, 10:15

Skyryder

There is a defense for all this,you know:
For the citizenry to grow a spine and fight every infringement notice in court,without exception.
No court system on earth could bear the strain.
They rely on public apathy

Hitcher
24th April 2006, 11:25
There is a defense for all this,you know:
For the citizenry to grow a spine and fight every infringement notice in court,without exception.
No court system on earth could bear the strain.
They rely on public apathy
The citizenry doesn't even need to be that active. If everybody refused to pay, that would achieve the same result.

JohnR
28th April 2006, 16:58
Mass non payment will be seen as "Civil Disobedience", produce infinite new legislation and give our leaders (that's how they see themselves) the excuse to further oppress the revolting masses "for their own good".:kick: :buggerd: :ar15:

Everyone demanding their day in court however is completely legal:innocent: , is every citizen's right:yeah: and as Pixie says will really f**k them over. :shake:

SLight
28th April 2006, 20:05
Fight the fight! There is some scary shit going on out there now. All based around collecting $$$ ! Blame America. That is where this shit starts. England follows then Aust the NZ. Take microchipping for instance. Bird flu compulsary vaxanations. Hitachi recently developed a chip for subdermal use (injected) that is 0.3mm square. Able to be tracked anywhere on the planet. Able to store and pass on imformation about a number of things going on in our every day lives. FIGHT the FIGHT. Fist in the air in this land of Hipocracy!

<LETS RIDE BROTHERS AND SISTERS>

Hitcher
29th April 2006, 13:39
What an amazing reaction to LTNZ deciding to change the font of rego plates. So what if they're easier to read by people or cameras? To the nearest significant figure, most registered motor vehicles in New Zealand don't have them. It will be some years before 20% of the national fleet does. What's the problem?

bugjuice
29th April 2006, 14:07
as far as computer recognition goes, this new font is more distinct over the old type face. But think of how many plates there are with the old font (let alone the old black plate and silver letters still knocking around).. just don't buy a newly imported car..