PDA

View Full Version : how is a wheelie/stoppie breaking the law?

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 13:32
if you stop quick at the lights and the back comes up, or the front wheel lifts off the ground from accelerating, or you're bloody good, and just leave the front wheel up, all whilst under 50kph or whatever the posted speed limit is, then what law is it breaking?

it's not 'out of control' (far from it if it's on purpose), it's not wreckless, may be a bit 'boi racerish' to some degree, it's not endangering anyone etc etc.. so would ya still get hassled?

Sparky Bills
7th April 2006, 13:36
They are classed as "dangerous to yourself and or the public"

or somthing like that arnt they??

I think this is a question for the pi... oh ummm i mean the cops on this site:bleh:

(am just kidding there by the way. Hope you see the funny side:confused: )

COP_B8
7th April 2006, 13:38
Haha, Just think of it as entertainment tax.

sAsLEX
7th April 2006, 13:38
Sustained Loss of Traction

thank the wankers in the rotors

KLOWN
7th April 2006, 13:43
it IS considered as dangerous cause if you fuck it up you likely to do damage to someone, even if its just yourself. If wheelies/stoppies are ok then drifting around the streets are ok too, because your not out of control, its a CONTROLED skid. Its all in your perspective, how does the cop know that your a master at wheeling/stoppies and not just some fool who did it by accident.

Fishy
A mate of mine got arrested on the spot for pulling a wheelstand across the Grafton Bridge. They took him away and left his bike on the side of the road and charged him with reckless driving. He lost his licence for 3 months and got fined too.

Marmoot
reduced control over your bike (try swerving a child running across your path, or emergency braking when someone accidentally cuts you off) and you run much less chance of coming out unscathed.
That is why it is considered 'reckless', or sometimes 'dangerous'

A bit similar to speeding, but without special section in law book.

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 13:44
Sustained Loss of Traction is wheel spinning.. or a burnout. I can understand that (for what it's worth)..

and Sparky, if it were 'dangerous to yourself and or the public', then surely you wouldn't consider doing it, would you..?? I wouldn't..

SimJen
7th April 2006, 13:47
Take a look in your mirrors and all around first, then just do it anyway.
Wheelies are good for you, they help burn calories and make you look cool.
You get double points if the wheelie starts from 100km/hr + :)

Sniper
7th April 2006, 13:49
Apparently its classed as dangerous driving?

Marmoot
7th April 2006, 13:49
and Sparky, if it were 'dangerous to yourself and or the public', then surely you wouldn't consider doing it, would you..?? I wouldn't..
Good on ya then. But the government assume 99% of the public are not like you. And there is a principle of 'it is better to be safe than sorry', which is useful especially if it generates revenue too.

Same as speeding. A 1988 battered old Nissan with crappy tyres being ticketed at 111kph in Motorway is probably well-deserved. But Ferrari Enzo will also be ticketed in similar situation, which is probably undeserved. However, Law operates on Lowest Common Denominator principle.

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 13:53
it IS considered as dangerous cause if you fuck it up you likely to do damage to someone, even if its just yourself. If wheelies/stoppies are ok then drifting around the streets are ok too, because your not out of control, its a CONTROLED skid. Its all in your perspective, how does the cop know that your a master at wheeling/stoppies and not just some fool who did it by accident.
you can be cruising on two wheels and still fuck up on a patch of oil or diesel. Kinda see ya point tho..

simjen, it kinda popped into my head to ask, cos I nearly popped a wheelie last night past some parked cars. Didn't think much of doing it, just was gonna. Then something didn't feel right, so I aborted without trying. Just as I got to the end of the parked cars, there was an unmarked cop sat there.. :sweatdrop

MM, I understand about the 'lowest common' thingia, i guess it just sucks..

Marmoot
7th April 2006, 13:56
MM, I understand about the 'lowest common' thingia, i guess it just sucks..

totally.........:violin:

I'm still hoping for a Special License Endorsement for Higher Speed, or a refined graduated license system with Learner - Restricted - Full - Expert
which will allow 30kph increase in speed in Motorways and Open Roads.

Lou Girardin
7th April 2006, 13:57
Most of the time it's carless driving - "not the actions of a prudent driver".
If the speed or other factors warrant it, the charge may be 'manner dangerous'.
The reality is that your braking, and/or evasive abilities are limited with only one wheel on the road.
If some cager pulls out in front of you, would you rather hit the brakes instantly or have to drop the front wheel then hit the brakes?
No brainer really.

COP_B8
7th April 2006, 13:58
totally.........:violin:

I'm still hoping for a Special License Endorsement for Higher Speed, or a refined graduated license system with Learner - Restricted - Full - Expert
which will allow 30kph increase in speed in Motorways and Open Roads.

With a big Yellow E plate on the back of your bike!

chickenfunkstar
7th April 2006, 14:02
When I was in court, one of the cases before mine was a guy getting charged for careless driving for doing wheelies. Not sure if thats the norm though.

Marmoot
7th April 2006, 14:02
With a big Yellow E plate on the back of your bike!

I wouldn't mind even if it's Pink. :rolleyes:

sAsLEX
7th April 2006, 14:11
Sustained Loss of Traction is wheel spinning.. or a burnout. I can understand that (for what it's worth)..

why? a wheel in the air has no traction! What is the friction coefficient for something not in contact with another surface, incredibly low, kinda like how a CoF reduces once a system slip(burnout) compared to being static(not burnout)

scumdog
7th April 2006, 14:16
Carless Use: defined as "driving in a manner a normal prudent motorist would not"

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 14:20
Carless Use: defined as "driving in a manner a normal prudent motorist would not"
so if enough of us do it, it'd be considered 'normal'? :eek:

just p/t'in..

SaS, why do you have to be so geeky about everytin? ;)

Marmoot
7th April 2006, 14:24
so if enough of us do it, it'd be considered 'normal'? :eek:

No, if enough of us do it, they'll consider raising the 'careless-tax' rate and increase family-assistance giveout to buy more votes for next election.

And they'll make compulsory microchiping your arse so that if it ever leaves the ground for more than x centimetres of normal ride-height, you'll automatically receive an invoice in your text mail and the charge will be automatically deducted from your bank account. And the cost of microchipping your arse ranges between $50 to $100 dollars. Farm employees should be exempt.

spudchucka
7th April 2006, 14:30
Apparently its classed as dangerous driving?
Driving behaviour that is contrary to that of a prudent motorist = Careless Driving.

It could go as far as dangerous depending upon the circumstances.

EG: Does a stopie approaching a pedestrian crossing with pedestrians on it. Pulls a wheelie past the front of a shoping mall entrance with people entering or exiting the mall. etc etc.

Devil
7th April 2006, 14:32
The thought about careless driving/riding in respect of wheelies came to me the other day after I had noticed 2 or 3 people riding mountain bike type unicycles around on the street. These people were in typical cyclist lycra, all the gears, on unicycles that appeared to have mountainbike tyres. Sure they'd be just as 'out of control' as a guy pulling a wheelie.

Police people, have you run into these uni-cyclists? They dont even have brakes.

Now I recall, at least two of them were on the riverhead highway...

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 14:50
Driving behaviour that is contrary to that of a prudent motorist = Careless Driving.

It could go as far as dangerous depending upon the circumstances.

EG: Does a stopie approaching a pedestrian crossing with pedestrians on it. Pulls a wheelie past the front of a shoping mall entrance with people entering or exiting the mall. etc etc.
both things that I'd never even consider.
but what about if it was a clear 3 lane 80kph road, at the lights, you see some hot chicks that have just give you their numbers (hopefully the right ones), the lights go green, and you pop a wheelie off the lights, and you put the wheel down at 75kph* and continue. Mr Plod see such act, what's the likely? Aside from the whole 'each taken on it's merit' thing..

*indicated :niceone:

Firefight
7th April 2006, 14:56
good thread, well worth the 5 extra posts it's given you.

F/F

spudchucka
7th April 2006, 14:59
both things that I'd never even consider.
but what about if it was a clear 3 lane 80kph road, at the lights, you see some hot chicks that have just give you their numbers (hopefully the right ones), the lights go green, and you pop a wheelie off the lights, and you put the wheel down at 75kph* and continue. Mr Plod see such act, what's the likely? Aside from the whole 'each taken on it's merit' thing..

*indicated :niceone:
Time, place & circumstances considered I wouldn't bother stopping you. However, the front wheel leaving the road could of its self see you charged with careless if it was more than just a slip of the clutch, (ie: it was done deliberately).

Sniper
7th April 2006, 14:59
Its cause he rides an Orange bike F/F.

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 15:02
f/f - thanks, I try ;)

Spud - cheers.. learnt to do it without the clutch too :niceone:

Sniper - you just want one, don't you?

all - please take note of how I've combined and not replied to each separately :bleh:

Marmoot
7th April 2006, 15:50
good thread, well worth the 5 extra posts it's given you.

F/F

What on earth is you doing in this thread? :gob:

2much
7th April 2006, 15:54

thank the wankers in the rotors

Yeah cause if it wasn't for the 'wankers' in thieir rotors, you'ld be allowed to do wheelies on the public roads legally? WTF?

Bullshit.

Haven't you been trying to learn to do wheelies recently? Attempting wheelies is very dangerous to yourself when you're inexperienced... and still somewhat dangerous no matter how experienced you are.
Just ask some of the more experienced 'wheelie artists' on here and I'm sure thay can tell you of a time when they were reminded just how dangerous it is.

Fact is people, it's illegal. And if you can't figure out why then perhaps you should ship off to Aussie cause you're pulling down our national IQ average.

Everytime I pull a wheelie/stoppie I know it's illegal, and if I get spotted, I don't plan on sticking around and arguing the legalities of it with the nice man in blue. Cause I know who will win.

SPman
7th April 2006, 16:09
Most of the time it's carless driving

I suppose it would be........

sAsLEX
7th April 2006, 16:11
Yeah cause if it wasn't for the 'wankers' in thieir rotors, you'ld be allowed to do wheelies on the public roads legally? WTF?

Cause they're part of the group that initiated the "boy racer act", of which sustained loss of traction is a charge, never mentioned anything about being legally allowed to wheelie just put forward one law I have heard people get charged for wheelieing on.

Bite me!

onearmedbandit
7th April 2006, 16:38
'Coz the last copper who gave me a ticket for it told me it was. Apparently only having one hand on the bars does not mean you have better control??

loosebruce
7th April 2006, 16:45
'Coz the last copper who gave me a ticket for it told me it was. Apparently only having one hand on the bars does not mean you have better control??

LOL nice one OAB.

Time and Place, lanesplitting at 160k on the back wheel is very much frowned upon, i dont know what the fine was for that though :crazy: being the only guy in 3 lanes and pulling a wheelie past an HP busy with someone else while looking at him tooting your horn, only got a sly grin and a slight headshake.

But yea you're not in full control of your bike, as Lou said, by the time you drop the front to get on the brakes chances are it's too late.

It's a valid law and to be honest i dont know why this thread exsist's, Kit, care to explain, i know youre smarter than this!!!!! You just trying to stir shit?

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 16:48
cos I'm not talking about lane splitting on the back wheel, or doing wheelies past busy junctions or pedestrian crossings or in front of schools or malls. If you re-read what I asked, it was a plain empty road in broad daylight. what's the odds of just being 'waved on' so to speak.

Only cos I nearly did a wheelie the other day past an unmarked cop. If I had done it, would I be a few hundy shorter now? Was a dangerous place, wasn't exceeding a stupid speed, wasn't endangering myself or others in any way, so would I have been done for gettin it up?

HDTboy
7th April 2006, 16:49
OAB, you could argue that your hand slipped off the clutch

SPman
7th April 2006, 16:53
OK - so people who don't drive cars are not normal prudent motorists.............is this new....?

loosebruce
7th April 2006, 16:57
Oaky Buggy, at the end of the day the police still have a job to protect ourselves from ourlselves, so thousands of us aren't on ACC bleeding the scum arse govt. dry bumping our taxes up ten fold etc etc etc, whenever you pull a wheelie you are risking it, any number of things could go wrong, it takes so little to fuck up, i know believe me and so does Death, so does Jimmy, it doesn't take much, thats why it's not okay on the road, coz the cops are there to stop it, the track well they can't do much about it there.

2much
7th April 2006, 16:59
Cause they're part of the group that initiated the "boy racer act", of which sustained loss of traction is a charge, never mentioned anything about being legally allowed to wheelie just put forward one law I have heard people get charged for wheelieing on.

Bite me!

Do you actually know of anyone who's been charged for that because of wheelies? All the cases of people getting caught that I'm aware of the charge has been 'careless use of a motor vehicle'.

If you ever have the misfortune to get busted and are charged with 'sustained loss of traction', then I suggest you thank the 'boy racers', because it's much better than getting charged with careless.

Edit: Kit, it's much like speeding. Sometimes you'll pass a cop at 120 and he'll ignore you, other times he'll ping you. Luck of the draw.

hXc
7th April 2006, 17:08
The thought about careless driving/riding in respect of wheelies came to me the other day after I had noticed 2 or 3 people riding mountain bike type unicycles around on the street. These people were in typical cyclist lycra, all the gears, on unicycles that appeared to have mountainbike tyres. Sure they'd be just as 'out of control' as a guy pulling a wheelie.

Police people, have you run into these uni-cyclists? They dont even have brakes.

Now I recall, at least two of them were on the riverhead highway...
Have you ever tried riding a unicycle? You are a lot more in control than you think. And a lot of those types of unicycles will have brakes. But the ones that don't: You just stop pedalling or slow down the pedalling. The pedals are connected to the axle so you stop pedalling, the wheel will stop instantly.

And unicyclists are very aware of their surroundings (like motorcyclists) and will usually be very nice people. Despite only having one wheel and looking very unstable, they're not.

MSTRS
7th April 2006, 17:10
and you pop a wheelie off the lights, and you put the wheel down at 75kph* and continue.....*indicated
Well, it might be OK if you have a gearbox-driven speedo.....Those of us on real bikes wouldn't be sure that we weren't speeding too. :eek5:

MSTRS
7th April 2006, 17:12
Have you ever tried riding a unicycle? You are a lot more in control than you think. Despite only having one wheel and looking very unstable, they're not.
:rofl: :rofl: :killingme :killingme Yea right

hXc
7th April 2006, 17:16
:rofl: :rofl: :killingme :killingme Yea right

Yeah, but you're old dad!:rofl: You don't know how to ride 'em anyways. I can!

yungatart
7th April 2006, 17:23
Yeah, but you're old dad!:rofl: You don't know how to ride 'em anyways. I can!
Aaah, is that before or after your little trip to hospital, which you needed as a direct result of hurting yourself on a unicycle,hmmm?:weep:

hXc
7th April 2006, 17:29
Aaah, is that before or after your little trip to hospital, which you needed as a direct result of hurting yourself on a unicycle,hmmm?:weep:

That has nothing to do with it, mother. I cut my finger on a screw. The screw just happened to be on the unicycle...

Two Smoker
7th April 2006, 17:37
, so thousands of us aren't on ACC bleeding the scum arse govt. dry bumping our taxes up ten fold etc etc etc, .

im doing my best to bleed them of all the taxes and revenue ive given them :niceone:

APPLE
7th April 2006, 17:53
reckless use of a motorvehicle,personally i feel im doing nothing wrong?:finger:

SlowHand
7th April 2006, 18:02
As for the expert thing, what if im a qualified sexpert, do i get a red gstring on my plate?

and for 'cant stop in time' brigade, what about stoppies? unless you can hoist em at 200 and hold it, not really that dangerous is it? given the road ahead is claire
i personally think stoppies are way cooler.

dveus
7th April 2006, 18:11
Only cos I nearly did a wheelie the other day past an unmarked cop. If I had done it, would I be a few hundy shorter now? Was a dangerous place, wasn't exceeding a stupid speed, wasn't endangering myself or others in any way, so would I have been done for gettin it up?

You said before that it was past some parked cars, whats to say that a kid was inbetween two of those cars and suddenly ran out, bugger all chance of avoiding it if your only on 1 wheel.

WINJA
7th April 2006, 18:20
why is an old incompetent almost blind cunt going the wrong way round a roundabout not charged with dangerous yet a motorcyclist getting his front wheel slightly off the ground dangerous , fuck i hate the pigs their all a bunch of stupid cunts with no morals and no fucken clue

bugjuice
7th April 2006, 19:01
You said before that it was past some parked cars, whats to say that a kid was inbetween two of those cars and suddenly ran out, bugger all chance of avoiding it if your only on 1 wheel.
again, if there was any risk of that or anything else happening, then I would not have performed a wheelie.

It's all about risk management. If the odds don't stack up, the wheel don't go up. simple.

ChookThief
7th April 2006, 20:20
again, if there was any risk of that or anything else happening, then I would not have performed a wheelie.

It's all about risk management. If the odds don't stack up, the wheel don't go up. simple.

So you can see through cars? Earlier stated that you didn't see the Police car (even if mufti, they still stand out) till you past the parked cars, I would suggest that you would not see a child also then.

riffer
8th April 2006, 00:10
why is an old incompetent almost blind cunt going the wrong way round a roundabout not charged with dangerous yet a motorcyclist getting his front wheel slightly off the ground dangerous , fuck i hate the pigs their all a bunch of stupid cunts with no morals and no fucken clue

Actually, given the Police actions in Christchurch yesterday this post is rather ironic...

For what it's worth, the one and only time I was stopped by the Police for having the front wheel in the air I was charged with "Careless Use of a Motor Vehicle".

Got away with it too, but that's another story...

Lou Girardin
8th April 2006, 08:42

How did you know there was no risk of that? You said there was a cop at the end of some parked cars, could there also have been a kid between those parked cars?

Marmoot
8th April 2006, 10:12

Motives.

old-incompetent-almostblind <--- these are the keywords.

If you're an old incompetent almost blind doing wheelies you might get away without being charged dangerous either.

Unfortunately, as some women put it, I am young and athletic...

bugjuice
8th April 2006, 10:22
How did you know there was no risk of that? You said there was a cop at the end of some parked cars, could there also have been a kid between those parked cars?
cos it was dark and late (most kids would be in bed at that time), I was in the right hand lane of a 2 lane road, and the area isn't a hugely populated residential area. Basically there was as much chance of a kid being there as there is kids playing on the motorway. Shit happens but it's really unlikely.

The cop was in a dark red Commodore with no lights on, most likely there for something else, but from back where I was about to start, it just looked like a simple dark red Commodore.

like i said. if there's any chance of kids or people coming out between parked cars, i wouldn't do it. that means taking note of your surroundings and knowing that there's kids around. Like residential areas, malls, schools, play parks, open grounds, shops/dairies etc. Clear roads are less likely to get squishy things in the way

WINJA
8th April 2006, 11:05
Motives.

old-incompetent-almostblind <--- these are the keywords.

If you're an old incompetent almost blind doing wheelies you might get away without being charged dangerous either.

Unfortunately, as some women put it, I am young and athletic...

I was buzzed by a large pack of the unwashed breatheran on there USA tractors all over double yella lines thru bends round the killing fields of Maramarua.

could of smoked em on the Turbo, could have hit em with me ticket books ,(but who needs all those days in court) but hey they are in such a rush to meet there maker who am I to stop them...hope they rest in peices and dont take out any real bikers or innocent people ...Bitch over!!
YET LOOK AT THIS PRICK , IF HE WAS BUZZED BY 2 TEENAGERS ON RGV'S HE WOULDA BEEN ALL OVER THEM AND THEYD HAVE THEIR DAY IN COURT , BUT NO WITH THE COPS WE HAVE THEY ALWAYS LIKE THE EASY OPTIONS. WHAT A CHICKEN SHIT , THE ONLY REASON THEY DIDNT GET A TICKET IS CAUSE THEY WERE GANG MEMBERS AND SOMEONE HAS NO SPINE

Lou Girardin
8th April 2006, 12:31
cos it was dark and late (most kids would be in bed at that time), I was in the right hand lane of a 2 lane road, and the area isn't a hugely populated residential area.
Sorry Buggie, too many risk factors there for me. I must be getting old.
Then again, I am still alive, and I've kept my licence.

scumdog
8th April 2006, 12:45
YET LOOK AT THIS PRICK , IF HE WAS BUZZED BY 2 TEENAGERS ON RGV'S HE WOULDA BEEN ALL OVER THEM AND THEYD HAVE THEIR DAY IN COURT , BUT NO WITH THE COPS WE HAVE THEY ALWAYS LIKE THE EASY OPTIONS. WHAT A CHICKEN SHIT , THE ONLY REASON THEY DIDNT GET A TICKET IS CAUSE THEY WERE GANG MEMBERS AND SOMEONE HAS NO SPINE

Off topic: A lot of people (well WINJA anyway) are under the impression that cops are 'scared' to pull over gang member.
Do you think we post them their tickets?

WINJA
8th April 2006, 13:12
Off topic: A lot of people (well WINJA anyway) are under the impression that cops are 'scared' to pull over gang member.
Do you think we post them their tickets?
HIS WORDS NOT MINE HE DIDNT PULL THEM OVER OR TICKET THEM YET HES THE SAME PIG WHO IS FAMOUS FOR HANDING OUT TRIVIAL TICKETS TO YOUNG MOTORCYCLISTS , SO TRIVIAL IN FACT HIS OWN BOSS WONT BACK HIM UP

_intense_
2nd May 2006, 00:25

erm, so you both mono AND leave a patch at the same time? That id like to see. :nya:

sAsLEX
2nd May 2006, 01:00
erm, so you both mono AND leave a patch at the same time? That id like to see. :nya:

How much traction would the front have lofted in the air?