PDA

View Full Version : ignition problem?

MikeL
17th March 2003, 08:00
Rode down to Cambridge yesterday for the Toy Run. No problems until, on the way back, I decided to do a detour to Karaka. Filled up with petrol at Karaka, engine started perfectly (as usual), shifted into gear, let the clutch out and the engine cut out. Got going, went a hundred metres or so and again engine cut out and I coasted to a stop. Tried 10 or 11 times to get going - each time same thing: engine started instantly, revved fine in neutral, but stalled as soon as the clutch was let out. Eventually got going and no further trouble until I got home. Stopped to open my gate and same thing as before. Am I right in thinking this is most likely to be an electrical fault? Symptoms seem consistent with an intermittent contact somewhere - possibly engine run switch, sidestand cut out switch or ignition switch? BTW bike behaved perfectly on run into work this morning - possibly the fault only appeared when engine was really hot?? Any advice gratefully received.

wkid_one
17th March 2003, 12:48
Had similar issue - make sure battery cables are as tight as possible (not Lou Ferrigno tight - but close)....

MikeL
19th March 2003, 08:18
Well, what a bummer on my birthday! Went to start the bike this morning, turned the switch, no ignition. Then the lights flickered on, then off. I turned the bars slightly, lights came on. Back to straight ahead position, everything went dead again. Aha! faulty ignition cabling. Sure enough, jiggling the main cable made and broke the contact. So at least I know what's wrong. Problem is, which end of the cable? One disappears into the headlight cowl, the other disappears under the tank. Having to be at work by 8:30 I had no time to disassemble the bike. By the time I get back on the bus this afternoon it'll be getting dark! But at least I've narrowed things down a bit.

What?
19th March 2003, 09:52
This sounds familiar, MikeL. Try looking at the bottom of the ignition switch. What happens on too many bikes is when you put the steering in full lock, the wiring loom pulls tight due to being too short and can pull the pins out of the bottom of the switch. It is not difficult to fix if you are half-way handy with a soldering iron. You may also want to look at re-routing the loom so you don't pull it apart again next time you lock the steering.:done: