PDA

View Full Version : Visor Fogging

Genesismatrix
7th April 2006, 20:27
Guys, My helmet visor a FFM Raptier keeps fogging.

Any sudgestions to fix the problem?

paturoa
7th April 2006, 20:38
move north

sefer
7th April 2006, 20:38
Stop breathing? :p

Use the search button up there ^^^ and you'll find all the ways people use, they range from riding visor up to buying a insert for your visor that acts as a sort of double glazing.

Personally I just keep my visor open a crack, and open it when stopped if need be. It works fine for me as at city speeds the extra windflow is nothing major, and at 80kmh+ my vents work fine so I can close it :)

Genesismatrix
7th April 2006, 20:40
move north

Nah i enjoy not being stuck in traffic jams twice a day.

Matt Bleck
7th April 2006, 20:44
I use a fogg-off mask, keeps your face nice and warm too.

WINJA
7th April 2006, 20:44
a thin layer of spoof will stop the fogging .
if that dont work , wash the visor well then get some of your mums sunlight dish wash put a spot about the size of a 5cent piece on the inside of the visor spread around and polish till clear it usually lasts about 1 month

sAsLEX
7th April 2006, 20:48
can get a insert that you stick to your visor that effectivaly double glazes it, round 30 bucks from somewhere like Cycletreads on barrys point road, last the life of the visor

smokeyging
7th April 2006, 20:49
An old trick is cut a potato in half an rub the cut end on the inside of the visor

ChookThief
7th April 2006, 20:50
a thin layer of spoof will stop the fogging .
if that dont work , wash the visor well then get some of your mums sunlight dish wash put a spot about the size of a 5cent piece on the inside of the visor spread around and polish till clear it usually lasts about 1 month

Shaving foam will do the same trick, smells nice too

WINJA
7th April 2006, 20:51
Shaving foam will do the same trick, smells nice too
WELL DRRRRR ANYTHING WOULD SMELL BETTER THAN STALE SPOOF

Gremlin
7th April 2006, 20:56
You've got masks to put over the lower half of your face, inserts, and materials to spray/wipe on the inside.

I use a breathguard (HJC-CL14) that plugs into the helmet. It goes over your nose, and to just under your eyes, the point being the same as masks. If you are claustrophic, probably not for you, but I find it pretty awesome. When not riding with it, the visor always fugs up.

OMG
8th April 2006, 08:33
I've got Fog City (double glaze type thing), it stops it fogging, but at night it seems to increase glare so if check that out if you decide to go down that route. If I was you, I think I'd trying the spoofing technique, and if that doesn't work, try it again and again and again...:yeah:

ahamay
8th April 2006, 08:56
The easist product I have used is a dive mask anti fog liquid. Just applied as a thin film then wiped off so not to leave a visible film. Works well but needs to be applied every few days.

Blairos
8th April 2006, 11:16
I use RainX (most Gas Stations have it) - needs a few applications to "treat" the surface, but works well...

Genesismatrix
8th April 2006, 11:35
hey thanks for all the advice guys

GR81
8th April 2006, 11:37
or for the cheapskates out there... when i used to play ice hockey, we used shampoo :P

GT250R
15th April 2006, 20:00
Rain X is really good

helps heap on the outside when riding in any sort of weather also
good stuff

T.I.E
15th April 2006, 20:32
fog city rocks, i have it and it never and i say NEVER fogs up on me.
no regreats.

MidnightMike
15th April 2006, 20:36
What i do to fix that is lift the visor up, problem solved :bleh:

sunhuntin
16th April 2006, 19:43
i took mine off completely....now its only a problem when the sunnies fog up!

Karlyg
17th April 2006, 23:21
Hi everyone - this is the first post I have made on kiwi bikers... I just got my motorbike learners, and also have a 50cc Daelim Cordi scooter... What I want to know is related to the whole fogging thing: I have glasses, and when I close my visor, they fog up - my visor stays clear. Does anyone have the same problem, and if so, how do I fix it? With winter coming up, I don't rally want to have an open visor the whole time...

Sorry if this is slightly off topic... :)

nodrog
17th April 2006, 23:42
Hi everyone - this is the first post I have made on kiwi bikers... I just got my motorbike learners, and also have a 50cc Daelim Cordi scooter... What I want to know is related to the whole fogging thing: I have glasses, and when I close my visor, they fog up - my visor stays clear. Does anyone have the same problem, and if so, how do I fix it? With winter coming up, I don't rally want to have an open visor the whole time...

just do what i did, get contacts :laugh:

brianemone
18th April 2006, 07:33
yeah im seriously considering contacts, saves me having to take off the glasses to put on the helmet and then putting them on again etc etc

Hitcher
18th April 2006, 18:26
Any sudgestions to fix the problem?
Breathe through your mouth. Or learn how to hold your breath for extended periods. I understand that there are people called "Muff Divers" who can provide tuition for the latter. Can't find any in the Yellowpages though...

FROSTY
18th April 2006, 18:49
the fog city inserts work well but Im not happy with the pheripheral vision
there is a product called fog off that works well

Rosie
20th April 2006, 11:17

Until you get whacked in the corner of the eye by a blowfly. :pinch:

sefer
20th April 2006, 13:12
^^ Getting hit in the face with bugs has got to be the nastiest thing.

In regards to glasses fogging, you'll find that most cheap...wait...sensible night time riders, who don't have tinted visors wear sunnies 80% of the time and have the same issue. I guess you could either treat your glasses with an anti-fog product (dodgy depending on what your lens are made of), or do what I guess everyone does (well I do anyway :) ) and keep your visor open a notch and remember to breath through your mouth and down towards the open part of the visor.

GR81
20th April 2006, 13:17
i did that, got something in my eye which then scratched my cornia... couldnt use my right eye for a day and had to go home to bed where i could close my eyes... was fine the next morning tho.
was not a nice experience :(

enigma51
20th April 2006, 13:29

Also wear glasses. go to your nearest glasses palce and ask them for antifog cleaners. Also if found that a good ventilated helmut does the job

Big Dave
20th April 2006, 16:22
The best (and most expensive) solution is to upgrade to a shoei helmet and use their pinlock visor system. I've tried most things mentioned short of winjas suggestions.

The pinlocks give similar excellent results to the fog city inserts in keeping the visor clear at all times - but without the opaque patches caused by the fog city's adhesive.

For that matter the reduced periperal vision of the fog city insert is a small price to pay for being able to see clearly through most of the visor at all times.

Films, sprays or treatments need to be re-applied for regularly optimum effect - the pinlocks are set and forget and easy to clean.

Well worth the $ if you can afford it. Otherwise winja.....

Hitcher
20th April 2006, 16:37
Attempting humour is clearly a waste of time, so I'll resort to a serious post on this thread.

For me, as a wearer of prescription eyewear, the fogging problem is two-fold -- my glasses and/or the visor.

The visor fogging is partly due to a head/Shoei helmet issue: head big, helmet not too much bigger. Translated this means I can make my lips touch the front of my helmet by puckering (stay with me, gentle readers, this is a serious thread). Also simple physics dictates that if one's helmet is full of head, there is limited room for air movement. In winter, if I wear a neck tube, my visor and glasses constantly fog, because the tube seals off the air flow at the front of the helmet. Fortunately Shoei has a great little clicker that opens the visor by a whisker (or two) that lets a bit more air through. But that just makes one's lid noisier. Alas I have no alternative helmets available from which to choose.

Glasses fogging is harder to resolve, apart from surgery.

Big Dave
20th April 2006, 17:08
Attempting humour is clearly a waste of time, so I'll resort to a serious post on this thread.

F

Did NZ just breathe a collective sigh of relief?!?

Get a pinlock visor for it.

White's sent me one unasked for to use in my X-spirit. It sat around for 3 months before I got A into G and installed it - now after using it all last season i think it's the best solution to visor fogging available.

certainly that I've used, and i don't know winja

Hitcher
20th April 2006, 18:42
Get a pinlock visor for it.
Is there an eight-week wait?

Rashika
20th April 2006, 19:16
For that matter the reduced periperal vision of the fog city insert is a small price to pay for being able to see clearly through most of the visor at all times....
still think the fog city inserts are the best thing since sliced bread, best $30 I EVER spent.
Now the only place my visor fogs up is below the insert, about 1-2mm of visor... way better vision now using the tinted visor and fog city thingmajiggy then previously when using sunnies and a clear visor :msn-wink:

Big Dave
20th April 2006, 19:28

In these troubled global times i'm particularly glad that I'm on a large, sparcely populated and wonderful island in the middle of a vast ocean at the far side of nowhere.

Big Dave
20th April 2006, 19:32
still think the fog city inserts are the best thing since sliced bread, best $30 I EVER spent.
Now the only place my visor fogs up is below the insert, about 1-2mm of visor... way better vision now using the tinted visor and fog city thingmajiggy then previously when using sunnies and a clear visor :msn-wink:

But you can't compare the retail therapy value of a $35 fog city with a new $1,500 helmet to support the visor!

Ixion
20th April 2006, 19:40

You're never going to get over that, are you ? :motu: :p

Rosie
21st April 2006, 09:12
If anyone needs a good reason to buy some manner of anti fogging technology, this is what happens if you flip up your visor and meet a blowfly at 70 km/h.

I have since bought a fogcity insert thing, and will be less inclined to ride around Reporoa early in the morning.

Rashika
21st April 2006, 19:25
But you can't compare the retail therapy value of a $35 fog city with a new $1,500 helmet to support the visor!
err ...ummm... how 'bout a $800 new shoei that i had to get to go with the insert? :innocent:

Krayy
28th April 2006, 09:51
a thin layer of spoof will stop the fogging ....SNIP
The problem is that if I did that, I'd be too disgusted to close the visor. But at least it wouldn't fog up :blip: