PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs advice

Brownbikerbabe
8th April 2006, 03:46
Would you recommend taking a motorcycle maintenance course as a must for newbie riders like myself? I was thinking that hubby and I could probably benefit from doing so. What do you all think?

When we put the battery back in my bike last week, nothing happened....no power. Hubby and I stood their staring at the bike with blank looks on our faces.

Our neighbour came over and helped out and together he and hubby figured out it was a burnt out fuse. Boy did I feel helpless, I can only imagine what would happen if I got stuck on the road by myself. What a dummy I would look like...

Or would buying a book be better?

Dafe
8th April 2006, 05:47
Faster to join the AA. (or your equivalent roadside rescue service)

Besides, You can't always fix the problem on the roadside. At least with the AA you'll always have transport on hand, whereever you may be.
Only concern for you then - Is cellphone coverage.

ajturbo
8th April 2006, 08:27
i must admitt that if my turbo stopped and it had gas...i would be scraching my head a fair bit also... but as i'm a NEW ZEALANDER i'm sure that i would figure something out to get me home..........

wave down next truck:dodge: :third:

ching_ching
8th April 2006, 09:06
Kia ora Brownbaaaabe,

Personally I find fixing / maintaining my own bike (bar the overly technical aspects of it) pretty fulfilling. If riding your bike wasn't exhilaration enough imagine the adrenaline injection you may feel when banked over in a long sweeper at speed and hoping to Christ that the rear tyre you removed, cleaned and then put back on the night before doesn't 'fall off'. Apart from the cost savings you'll reap not having to pay for labour fees, knowing that you 'touch' your own bike is very rewarding.

If you do have motorcycle type courses in your area than make sure that they deal with most facets of the machine from the basics to a bit more 'advanced' later on.

For me I've taken the old 'trial and error' track. When I decided that I wanted to work on my own bike (especially after the warranty period had expired) I borrowed automotive books from the local library that were comprehensive but easy for ME to understand and not necessarily pertaining to bikes per sé.
Although not the same, I believe if you can understand how a car works than you'll find the motorcycle easy to understand as well... just a little more 'involved'. I'm not saying I'm a bike genius but when you take your time and be careful, you'll 'crack it'.

If you're still keen on doing your own bike work then get yourself some basic tools (in this case of the 'metric' standard since you've got a Jap bike). They don't have to be expensive although if you're in it for the long haul then quality is good and you do get what you pay for with tools in general. Make sure when you insert screws, bolts, fasteners back into their holes that you align them straight before you start turning the screwdriver / ratchet otherwise stripped /damaged threads will result. Make sure you use the correct size screwdriver in the heads of fasteners otherwise you can damage these as well especially when you're wanting to unfasten them since some of the heads of these are of the soft type (unfortunately). If you can measure ingredients using a measuring cup then you'll be able to change your own engine oil. With chain driven bikes a rear paddock stand would be handy after a long ride and you need to rewax that chain without having to resort to sticking the ole 2X4 timber under the swingarm on the opposite side.
Ask questions, search the Net, I'm sure you'll find sites pertaining to your bike and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty... but that shouldn't bother you. You should know everything about germs and hygiene. :crazy: