PDA

View Full Version : wind and broken bones

wendy
9th April 2006, 07:42
hey all

I had my first broken bone last saturday. I fractured my (L) clavicle.

It wasnt as painful as i though it would be but it just aches all the time.
the radiologist was a biker and was telling me about his falls he was pretty cool and told me not to give up.

i was traveling on the hwy and a car 2 cars up stopped pretty fast to turn into a road, so the car in front stopped quickly and i applied both brakes but i turned the handle bars. i flew over the handlebars and landed in the ditch, got a mild concusion too.

boyfriend was following in his car and another couple helped (they where bikers too). smashed the back of the bike but its only the fairing and taillights and the plastic in the speedo broke and the L mirror.

got a temp taillight and no rear fairing on now.

rode it yesterday for the first time since the accident my confidence was a bit low but i was fine until 20mins from home the wind was knocking me about it got pretty scary so i stopped and a couple (bikers) with a dirtbike and trailer stopped and asked if i needed help, they put my bike on the trailer and drove me home.

any advice for riding in windy conditions?

im glad bikers are helping bikers :2thumbsup: , the first time i came off and broke some of the bike it was a biker who stopped and helped me too.

ive had 3 accidents since getting my L's 2 months ago. 1 was just dropping the bike.
am i a really bad rider? got friends who have come off that many times but in a few years and iv done it in only 2 months.

have many others here come off many times especially when on L's?

paturoa
9th April 2006, 08:20
I voted 5 for on road offs, but I've had hundreds of off road offs.

I just googled "motorcycle training school" for nz sites and it came back with 34 responses. Might be the go.

Kendog
9th April 2006, 08:44
I have found riding in the wind (and riding in general) is a confidence thing. The more you ride in the wind the easier it gets and yesterday was damn windy.

Just take it easy, pick the days to go for a ride if you can and see if you can come out on some of the KB rides. There are pleant of friendly people here.

APPLE
9th April 2006, 08:45
Hey wendy firstly, welcome from me 2 you to ''KB...as a learner way back wen,i came off my rgv,went wide on a right hand sweepa up on 2 the grass and lost it altogether slid for ages thru the fence into a paddock,2nd bin,easter last year,cumming in to warlkworth,took my eyes off the 4wd in front of me,turned back and he had stopped?shhhhhiiiiitttttt.....wipe out or write off'' rather.luckily no broken bones.thank god for leathers.....

inlinefour
9th April 2006, 08:54
Im sitting here typing with my left hand only as I have a fractured right clavical. First broken bone ever after flipping a quad down 90 mile beach:weep:
edit: i see there are alot of squids here perhaps? I guessed 30 including offroad, might be more...

Ixion
9th April 2006, 09:20
Firstly, as to coming off.

Crashing is always bad. You should never accept crashing as "something that's going to happen". Because if it does happen, you may die, and it does NOT have to happen. There are riders on here who have been riding for 10,20,30,40 years and never crashed , and many more who have only one crash in that time.

But crashes at this early stage of your rding experience DO NOT mean you are a "bad rider". What they mean is that you are a learner rider. Which you already know, right.

Slow down (plenty of time later to work up speed, at this stage you are better to go slow and get the riding techniques sorted) , and consider a defensive driving course and or a riding course. Almost all crashes are avoidable if you know what to do and what to look for.

Are there any experienced riders you can ride with ? I see you are in Australia so KB rides are no help, but are there local clubs you could ride with. Time spent riding with an experienced rider is a great help to a learner - not just for technique but for confidence too . Just be careful that the experienced rider realises you are a learner and does not start showing off.

As to wind. It is far more scarey than dangerous. I have only ever heard of one person actually coming off because of wind and that was a lightweight chick on a very lightweight bike.

Just relax, leave your hands loose on the bars, keep engine revs well up and keep your speed up. Don't freak out if the wind makes you swerve around a bit, you should have a whole lane to move in. The wind WILL blow you around a bit but it will NOT blow you off.

Do not be disheartened, the learning process on a motorcycle is one all riders go through. Just take it easy, and slow down.

Maha
9th April 2006, 09:31
I voted none, didnt want to vote and hex my clean record , felt a bit like when you say '' B-B-Q tonight? '' and it piss's down......:scratch:
I have dropped it tho', getting off thinking the side stand is down when its not, um done that twice...........:whistle:

Sniper
9th April 2006, 09:39
Bugger to hear about the off. In my experience, only riding in wind can give you the skills and confidence to do it over and over. I used to livve in Blenheim which being in a valley, you used to get really odd winds, but after the first couple of offs, you get used to riding.

All the best for the healing...

OMG
9th April 2006, 09:41
Roadsafe teaches very good riding skills, emergency braking etc. For anyone in Wellington I definately recommend checking them out to improve. I've never crashed (had a few moments when I've been lucky), but had a real scare with wind (damn baked beans :shifty: ). I was going over the Rimutakas, pushing fairly hard, had just set-up to go round a corner, was leaning the bike in, when a big gust of wind blew me upright - you can't turn a corner if your not leaning over. This left me heading straight for a solid rock bank. Fortunately at that instant the words of Andrew (from Roadsafe) flashed through my head (which was basically, if you get into trouble and there is nothing you can do, try to ride through the situation - if you're unlucky, you crash (but you were going to do that anyway), if you're lucky you get through), so in that instant, rather than trying to grab a whole lot of brakes (which I'm sure would have resulted in me going straight into the bank), I threw myself as hard as I could back into the corner - and here I am, still no crashes.

Take care out there

OMG
9th April 2006, 09:43
I voted 5 for on road offs, but I've had hundreds of off road offs.

Isn't that why they call it "off" road :laugh:

Goblin
9th April 2006, 09:50
All my bins(maybe 8) have been entirely my fault except two. Mostly been going too hot into a corner & just lost it. My worst crash was when a dozy old prick turned right infront of me & hit me head on(no indicating or anything) Wrote my bike off. Knocked me unconcious, broke my left wrist and I was bruised from head to toe. there was no time to think...I dont even remember the impact. But it taught me that every one is out to get you and you HAVE to keep scanning EVERYWHERE! Even the traffic coming towards you. You also have to keep an eye on traffic a few cars ahead so if they do anything silly you have time to think and react. All my "Own stupid fault" bins had no injury.

Now riding in strong gusty winds is fun for me. I actually enjoy the challenge and love to feel the bike leaned over while going in a straight line. You just have to relax a bit. Practice is the only way.

As long as you learn something from each bin and you dont get too hurt, you are doing OK. I think the L period is where most have bins....although it was so long ago I dont even remember having a learners licence.

Welcome to KB and I hope you find some useful information here.

Edit: The 8 were all road. Never counted the times I fell off a dirtbike...possibly 50.

Goblin
9th April 2006, 09:58
Firstly, as to coming off.

Crashing is always bad. You should never accept crashing as "something that's going to happen". Because if it does happen, you may die, and it does NOT have to happen. There are riders on here who have been riding for 10,20,30,40 years and never crashed , and many more who have only one crash in that time.

But crashes at this early stage of your rding experience DO NOT mean you are a "bad rider". What they mean is that you are a learner rider. Which you already know, right.

Well I just read this AFTER posting my reply and you are right on the money...AGAIN! Crashing is BAD! It hurts and is not good for you bike, and you can die.

crazyxr250rider
9th April 2006, 11:44
I crap off nearly every weekend but not high speed pole slammers, just the old stuck half way up a rutted hill drop the bike and skidd to the bottom on your ass type :rofl:
I only have had one bad crash on the XR.......

MSTRS
9th April 2006, 16:38
Now riding in strong gusty winds .... I ..... love to feel the bike leaned over while going in a straight line. You just have to relax a bit. Practice is the only way.
I think most of us were taught or learned that you lean into the wind. I now know that this is not the best way. What you are effectively doing is cornering except the wind is preventing the turn....when a sheltered section is arrived at (usually a hedgerow etc and suddenly) then the turn is initiated. Then you need to straighten up. Then you come out from behind the shelter and away to leeward you go until you can do the lean correction again. Extreme scenario I know, but illustrates what happens in a fair sort of crosswind.
Now....what I recently learned (after 35 years on and off riding) was to get my body off the side to windward but keep the bike upright. This works on the big ol' Gixxer with it's fairings & weight AND on my lad's little 250 Spada (naked & fairly light). The bodyweight to windward provides the same resistance to being blown off the road BUT does not upset the trim when a sheltered spot comes upon you. Altogether more predictable & stable. Try it - I think you will be amazed.
And a big welcome to Wendy. Best advice is.....Relax & let things flow

yungatart
9th April 2006, 17:27
MSTRS is right but if you don't feel comfortable hanging your arse off the seat, just move your shoulders and upper chest off to the side - and relax....keep your hands relaxed on the handlebars. Practice makes perfect... and welcome to the site BTW

sunhuntin
9th April 2006, 17:36
i agree with the others.... the only way to learn to ride in wind is to do it. had some rough winds coming home the other day...strong siders from my left. made cornering fun....right turns nearly saw me in the ditch, and as illustrated above, left turns were virtually non-turns. i tend to lean into the wind and then adjust as it changes directions or i find a screen along side.

i do tend, when riding in wind, to keep furthur left, so if a strong gust blows me hard, i wont get knocked into oncoming traffic. it gives me more room to play really....also helps keep cars furthur back when they see how blown about i get....gives the impression of about to fall off.

trucks are the same, when they are going at speed. i used to hate trucks, but now im getting used to them.

best of luck!!

enigma51
9th April 2006, 18:20
Seeing as i have done alot of motox i would have to say over 60 I use to fall at least once a weekend in motox Actualy I knew it was going to be a bad race if i did not fall in one or two of the practice runs (its a mind thing i know)

kevie
9th April 2006, 19:14
Have been riding since 1969 and have had 3 offs, one was my fault, went riding in rain :scooter: as we often did as teens, misjudged the corner at a reasonable speed and footrest touched curb and :Oops: threw me off into an enormous puddle... didnt damage bike or myself but was told it looked spectacular, other 2 offs was caused by cars one done Uturn in front of me, the other went through a giveway and Tboned me.:bash:

Str8 Jacket
9th April 2006, 19:49
IN my first 2 months of riding I managed to write off my first bike by wrapping myslf round a barrier pole after taking a corner too wide panicking and hitting the front brake. I only had jeans on that time but was extremely lucky to "walk" away with severe bruising, my leg is still numb where I hit it. Two weeks later (on my birthday) I was riding home from lake ferry and was literally blown of the road into a grass bank while riding along a dead straight road, I had proper pants on this time but stil managed to briuse the sameknee that I had hurt previously. I paid the price by having a swimming pool attached to my knee for some time afterwards, but still no damage to ligaments bones, etc. I was lucky again!
I developed a huge phobia about cornering and riding in the wind so I started riding really nervously and would practically slow down to 20 kmh around every corner. The only advise I have for you is to just get out there and ride, slowly if you have to. Get used to your bike and start trying to relax while riding, the only way you'll get this though is by riding as much as you can. I also reckon that all newbie riders should do a track day, I swear its awesome for learning how to ride your bike properly and you'll confidence will rise...
Its been about 7 months since my last accident and my riding is getting better and better, in fact my boyfriend (who rides) actually told me to slow down a bit the other night.
So in case you missed what I was trying to say, you need to just get out there and ride as much as you can, its the only wa to learn.

surfchick
9th April 2006, 20:01
no accidents. i put it down to my lucky L plate. never got got off my L i seem to have dozed through a year riding somehow & forgotton to get my R. but meh, i ride like your nana on the straights and like your great nana on the corners... i like to be going slow enough for people to see my vetter jacket...:baby:

by the way though-glad you Ok, and don't give up...

Insanity_rules
9th April 2006, 20:07
Welcome Wendy,
I've binned 2 times on road and 3 times off road. My last bin was 13 years ago and kinda scary but you need to get back on and get confident at your own pace. Try going for an on purpose rides on some twisties, start slow and work up. After a while you'll get better and better.

Coming off and walking away is a blessing but it gives ya a respect for your chosen passion.

Oh BTW we have the same kind of bike and with a careful investment in tyres they handle better than any bike I've ever had. PM me if ya want to know more.

metric
9th April 2006, 20:11
Now....what I recently learned (after 35 years on and off riding) was to get my body off the side to windward but keep the bike upright. This works on the big ol' Gixxer with it's fairings & weight AND on my lad's little 250 Spada (naked & fairly light). The bodyweight to windward provides the same resistance to being blown off the road BUT does not upset the trim when a sheltered spot comes upon you. Altogether more predictable & stable. Try it - I think you will be amazed.

Great idea... will give this a whirl the next time I'm heading over the harbour bridge nearly being blown off by massive gusts etc

Oakie
9th April 2006, 20:16
i applied both brakes but i turned the handle bars. i flew over the handlebars

Yes that was what caused my first accident, thankfully on grass and at about 15kph. Thankfully, that was also the worst of my two offs. The other was at about walking speed when I turned on some gravel.

sheddy
9th April 2006, 21:02
Hi Guys.
My view is this, if at all possible when learning to ride. Ride a dirt bike first, You learn a lot of stuff doing this and take a few tumbles and often at low speed its the best way to get a feel of what you can and cant get away with. For you "Townies" I guess you don't have much choice. Don't learn on a flash bike you'd be extremely lucky not to have a minor bin in your first year. If you are into bikes big time, when you fall off you just get back on asap and take the lesson learnt. Paranoia is quite useful when riding in traffic. If you have a mindset all the cages around you are out to get you youll be more prepared. My worst bin was on a diesel and cow crap slick at a railway crossing. When trucks are stopped at intersections if they are leaking anything[ oil, diesel any other fluids youd be amazed what stuff gets spilt on the road], then that's where the biggest danger lies. As for this wind thing just slow down and dont tense up too much. I don't think there is much more you can do.

Bend-it
9th April 2006, 21:56
Hey, welcome to KB! Rode a scooter before in serious wind and that definitely gets blown around!! Wear too loose a jacket and it could well be a sail!

Have come off twice, once was a wet day and the taxi in front of me decided he'd alight his fare NOW. Jumped on the brakes and skidded. Kind driver duly drove off, because apparently carbon monoxide dulls the pain, so he provided lots, straight in my face... Thanks mate.

Second was on a 110cc honda wave in Thailand. Invisible speed bump that really BUMPED! Didn't see it and ended up flying off it at about 70. Took a fair bit of skin off my right leg, this was 2 months before my wedding! Thank God nothing broken.

Well, being a relative newbie to bikes, I have no advice to give, just empathy that it happens, and the important thing is to learn from others and keep growing in skill and confidence.

All the best, keep at it, and keep safe!

Jantar
9th April 2006, 22:31
I have lost count of the number of times I've come off, so I voted 30. But that could be light. However the majority of those would be while riding motocross in my younger days. One of the things I would do in practice is to take a difficult part of the track and ride it harder and harder until I crashed. I then knew my limit for that part of the track.

For normal road riding (ie non competitive) I have had 8 offs and been injured twice. It is interesting that both of these injuries were much more serious than any injury I've ever had while racing. These incidents were 1971, 1972 (x2), 1973, 1974, 1976, and the most recent one in 1980. Note how the list spreads out with more experience and no road crashes in the past 26 years.

I won't go so far as to say that crashing is inevitable, but while learning it is highly propbable.

Zed
9th April 2006, 22:57
Welcome to the site Wendy! :wavey:

Sorry to hear you came off your bike and hurt yerself, it happens to many of us, get well soon.

...rode it yesterday for the first time since the accident my confidence was a bit low but i was fine until 20mins from home the wind was knocking me about it got pretty scary so i stopped and a couple (bikers) with a dirtbike and trailer stopped and asked if i needed help, they put my bike on the trailer and drove me home.

any advice for riding in windy conditions?I reckon you made a good decision in stopping! As you get more windy-weather riding experience and increase your confidence level you'll be able to brave that wind better and ride through it. Sometimes you have to lean the bike into it if it's a strong wind, and concentrating on keeping a good line in the lane you are travelling in is of the utmost importance in any windy conditions.

I rode in stormy conditions from Whangarei to Auckland recently and had the near scariest journey on a motorcycle I can remember! The wind and rain was so strong that i got consistently blown all over SH1 for nearly 40mins, my concentration level seemed like it increased 5 fold at the time :eek5:, got absolutely drenched too! :cold:

...have many others here come off many times especially when on L's?For some reason i never came off in 20 years road-riding until several years ago, and twice too, one after the other within about 2 months of eachother - doh! Having these strings of accidents seems to be a common phenomenon, maybe it's the lacking confidence, but with a learner i suppose the reasons for binning are more obvious.

Glad to hear you're sticking with bikes despite your misfortune! :2thumbsup

ZeroIndex
10th April 2006, 10:20
I've had two, in my 1st month! First was my first weekend with my bike (went on a hamilton run with a bunch of KBs), decided I wasn't going to make a right-hand corner (bad idea), straightened out, braked, went on the grass, and hit a lump and hopped over the handlebars

2nd: Going to get petrol for BabyB's Pyes Pa Run. on a left-hander, my back tyre went "all soft" (popped rear tube), started sliding to the right, managed to pull it back to make it around, but the next corner (slight S-bend), which was a right, it slid out from under me, and I ended up in an ambulance, but nothing major...

...but yeah, with wind, just move your body slightly over (facing the wind), and that should help a bit...

Jonty
10th April 2006, 13:28
As to wind. It is far more scarey than dangerous. I have only ever heard of one person actually coming off because of wind and that was a lightweight chick on a very lightweight bike.

Clearly you have never ridden with me and skels in a takas hurricane:pinch:

skelstar
10th April 2006, 14:21
Wendy - I came of my bike on the takas. I was heading into a downhill corner fairly tipped over and a gust of wind came up underneath me and my bike got out of shape, made the classic newbie mistake of grabbing a handful of brakes and stared at the barrier that I 'apparently' wanted to crash into. In the end I lost the front wheel in the gravel and hurt my hand a little. My bike was fine.

Subsequent trips have been interesting and repeated but I have learnt these lessons:

1. Make sure your suspension is sorted out. Soft suss was a principle reason my bike lost shape, and has done so on many ocassion. Im just lazy.
2. Keep the power on. Keep your momentum up. Dont tip over too far.
3. Watch riders/trees/dust on the road infront of you.
4. Dont look where you think you are going to crash. Look through the corner keep the power on a bit (downhill stuff).
5. Dont slow down...its hard to tip a bike over that is going at a reasonable pace.

Someone correct me if I have led Wendy astray.

Str8 Jacket
10th April 2006, 14:25
Subsequent trips have been interesting and repeated but I have learnt these lessons:

1. Make sure your suspension is sorted out. Soft suss was a principle reason my bike lost shape, and has done so on many ocassion. Im just lazy.
2. Keep the power on. Keep your momentum up. Dont tip over too far.
3. Watch riders/trees/dust on the road infront of you.
4. Dont look where you think you are going to crash. Look through the corner keep the power on a bit (downhill stuff).
5. Dont slow down...its hard to tip a bike over that is going at a reasonable pace.

Someone correct me if I have led Wendy astray.

I think that you hit the nail on the head, so to speak. These are all things that I have had to learn, and im glad I did cause Ive avoided a few more accidents by doing these things. The looking where you WANT to go is one of the most important things to remember and you'll be surprised how much it actually helps!
The other thing to remember, especially when riding around town is to treat every other road user like they are out to get you, be alert at whats going on around you...

Ixion
10th April 2006, 15:43
Clearly you have never ridden with me and skels in a takas hurricane:pinch:

I should have clarified. I meant actually being blown off. I've encountered quite a few beginners who made the classic mistake of grabbing the brakes when they get hit by a gust. Almost always an off.

My point was that even if the wind gust is frightening , if you just ride it out you'll almost always be fine.

I think Ms Str8_jacket is the only person I've heard of to be literally blown off the road.

surfchick
10th April 2006, 15:55
i turn myself into a mouse so that if i blow anywhere i blow into the nooks and crannies on my bike

also it's no just yourself to think about in the wind. i had a nasty run-in with a double bed base and accompanying matress lollaping down two lanes of the north western motorway towards me last year. lads driving didn't coun't on our staunch westerlies coupled with the 100kph they were driving at.... grrr

denill
10th April 2006, 16:13

Yes, excellent advice. And it helps too to conciously push the shoulder into the wind. It is also important to be aware when emerging from a shetered section and be prepared for the buffet - before it happens. Don't get too disheartened. If you have an off and live to tell the tale - you wil have learnt something (hopefully). Think that's what they call 'experience'.

Jonty
10th April 2006, 16:55
I should have clarified. I meant actually being blown off. I've encountered quite a few beginners who made the classic mistake of grabbing the brakes when they get hit by a gust. Almost always an off.

My point was that even if the wind gust is frightening , if you just ride it out you'll almost always be fine.

I think Ms Str8_jacket is the only person I've heard of to be literally blown off the road.

Point taken, however, the gust Skels and I got caught in was the biggest gust I have ever experienced (after I picked myself up I could hardly stand up in the wind), my front wheel was close to being lifted of the ground!! That said I made the mistake of watching the person on front of me (who didn't quite make the courner either;) )

bugjuice
10th April 2006, 16:59
none so far *touches his wood*

hope you heal up quick and that the bin didn't put you off!

BarBender
11th April 2006, 07:53
I used to ride motorcross and stopped riding after I had two bins on one day. First one was on a jump where I got tagged by another rider and subsequently landed front wheel first from 12 feet in the air. Result = Concusion, broken arm and a neck injury that bothers me to this day...Second bin was as a pillion on the way to the doctors 30 mins after the first...The guy taking me decided to chop down, I wasnt holding on and next thing you know my upper leg was between the tire and the rear guard and I got dragged about 30 ft up the road. The old man curtailed all further two wheel activity...and being 14 and with very little confidence I was more than happy to oblige.

I'm 40 this year and have only just got back onto a bike. I am having a bloody good time but I am having to re-learn everything again. Especially riding in traffic. Needless to say I have already dropped my bike twice in the 6 weeks I have had it!

All the best with the healing both emotionally and physically Wendy - I am sure you'll be back out there...

Macktheknife
11th April 2006, 11:29
Hi Wendy, welcome to the madness of KB.
I have been riding over 25 years and had about 10 bins in that time, most of which were learner mistakes in the first couple of years and a couple of off road bins, recently had a couple of more serious bins, (broken collar bone at present) but always learned something from the experiences. Keep a positive attitude to learning from it and you will be ok, sounds like you have some good instincts developing. you are a learner and most learners make silly mistakes at first, sometimes painful ones.
Practice with others as much as possible, learn from anyone available and take all the courses you can find, usually learn something from them even if it seems like you've heard it all before.
Good luck with your riding and keep it up

Two Smoker
11th April 2006, 12:24
Geez... i seem to be the most experienced with crashing... and i havnt been riding that long...

Anyway, Skelstars advice is great... Other things that cause you to crash:

-Getting Cocky ("I am so good it will be sweet if i do this speed")
-Being unaware of your surroundings
-Being unaware of what could be around the corner

As for me, ive had a few crashes on the road, all of them by myself and generally from being cocky and not being aware of what could be around the corner...

The rest have been whilst road racing, where if you dont crash at least a little bit, you are obviously not going hard enough...

Worst crash, coming off at turn 6 at 200kmh in the wet at Pukekohe. Surgeon estimates 12-24 months before i will be 100% back to normal...

So to some it up, be careful, but dont be a safety freak or you will never have fun... Also take your riding in small steps, who cares how long it takes you to learn, as long as your learning...

Hitcher
11th April 2006, 14:37
I had my second significant off on Boxing Day. I broke my right clavicle and my ST. My fault completely. I wasn't concentrating on the job at hand. The clavicle healed itself about six weeks ago. I am still waiting on the inept dodderers to complete the repairs on the ST. I could write a book. Maybe I should?

Ixion
11th April 2006, 14:41
But, you have got your new helmet, right? So that's a consolation , right?

Y'reckon it'll be fixed for Easter ?

Hitcher
11th April 2006, 14:52
Y'reckon it'll be fixed for Easter ?
Don't push it, sunshine...

zeocen
12th April 2006, 14:01
There are riders on here who have been riding for 10,20,30,40 years and never crashed , and many more who have only one crash in that time.

I agree with this post. Sometimes shit's gonna happen that no one can help but many times if you're not being a dickhead on your bike you have no reason to crash(but, like I said, there are circumstances).

The only reason I got into riding with confidence that I could do it and live is because my old man has been riding for 30 years and has crashed once in all those years. And that was due to him being cocky and trying to go around a roundabout when he was late for work one morning on his first bike :P

Pretty crappy input by me, but yeah, just thought I'd give my 2c on the whole "you're going to crash" thing. Not if I can help it!

Ivan
12th April 2006, 14:16
When I ride my RGV150 aroundit getshit hard by the wind so what I do is if the wind is hitting the right hand side of the bike I tend to put the knee out into the wind so theair bubble around the bike catcheson my knee andhelps tip it over just keep doing it but dont ride close to the centre line because a trucks can knock your knee off hope this helps

Ivan

P.S

we all have our crashes under braking I have done that before not on the road but at race meetings slamming the front brakes on to hard causing the front end to skid and usally turn the wheel and then its bye bye bike one helpful bit of advice is dont hold onto the bike once this happens relax your hands and if the bike grabs good but once you fell it falling over let go and then try not to move anything cause thats how you brake bones I know I flipped my brothers BMX and landed on the collar bone it bloody hurt like crazy 5 minutes later because you dont fell it all

Sketchy_Racer
12th April 2006, 16:17
Ivan NO ONE could understand that.

Go back to school you monkey

Hitcher
12th April 2006, 21:01
When I ride my RGV150 aroundit getshit hard by the wind so what I do is if the wind is hitting the right hand side of the bike I tend to put the knee out into the wind so theair bubble around the bike catcheson my knee andhelps tip it over just keep doing it but dont ride close to the centre line because a trucks can knock your knee off hope this helps

Ivan

P.S

we all have our crashes under braking I have done that before not on the road but at race meetings slamming the front brakes on to hard causing the front end to skid and usally turn the wheel and then its bye bye bike one helpful bit of advice is dont hold onto the bike once this happens relax your hands and if the bike grabs good but once you fell it falling over let go and then try not to move anything cause thats how you brake bones I know I flipped my brothers BMX and landed on the collar bone it bloody hurt like crazy 5 minutes later because you dont fell it all
Gahhhhh! What language is this?? Don't tell me it's English. Because it isn't!

I read it and my right eyelid is still twitching. And I have this strange ringing noise in my ears. What happened to basic conventions, like ending a sentence with a full stop and starting a new one with a capital letter? I won't even go near the apostrophe. Or the difference between past, present and future tenses. I'm off to the mental health thread to recuperate. Jesus wept.

Motu
12th April 2006, 21:27
Apostrophe? What apostrophe? I see no apostrophe.....have you broken the code and found the secret meaning we can't see??

Sketchy_Racer
12th April 2006, 21:42
Don't worry guys, my mother is a English teacher and when she saw that........

She fainted.

:killingme:

Balding Eagle
13th April 2006, 04:38
I thought that if your mother taught english she would be [B]an[B] English teacher, not a english teacher. But aren't we here to talk bikes. Get enough of that other s..t elsewhere. :ar15:

My advice on the wind. Not too fast and not too slow. These lead to instability. Relax on the bars and like that other important part of life; keep the body moving.

Balding Eagle
14th April 2006, 05:01
Getting back to the original post now. I have taken up riding again after a looong time off and have just achieved my full licence. I took a couple of riding courses and did a lot of reading. Total Control is one book that I found very helpful and moreso than "A twist of the wrist" which was also very highly recommended but I found more focused on the racing rider. Read the books and then go out and put what they say into practice. Good luck and enjoy.

quickbuck
14th April 2006, 14:48
Wendy, welcome to KB.

Some good advise already covered here. I was asked by a noob once how to handle the wind, and after thinking about, I couldn't give one definitive answer. Will try the bum off seat method myself. I usually counter steer my way along, but as pointed out you need to keep a good eye out on the shelter.
I have also seen 250+KG of GSX250, rider and touring gear get lifted off the road and get slammed into a bank. Not nice.

As you are in Victoria, look up the guys from "Stay Upright", and do one of their courses. I recommend it to all. The price may seem high (It was $225, maybe slightly more, as that was 10 years ago), but it is nothing compaired to fixing your bike all the time.

BTW, I voted 30 offs. Had most of them in the dirt, and bucket racing, but the slowest ones caused the largest injuries. Worst was when a 44 tonne truck decided he didn't have to look out for motorcycles and turned right across my path.