PDA

View Full Version : Great to be here

Les
25th April 2004, 23:49
Hi all. Yep, I'm new to this forum & thought that I'd post here to introduce myself to whoever wants to know...

I'm down in CHCH and have recently bought myself a brand spanking Suzuki SV650 after having no bike for 6 or 7 years. I can't work out how I went that long without a bike now! I was always into bikes from an early age. I grew up on the West Coast & bikes were pretty handy vehicles. My first bike was a DR200 and then I went though various trail bikes...TT250, XT600 & XR600. Have previously owned a couple of roadies...VTR250 & a GSX750 Katana.

I really love the SV and rate it highly from what I remember of the other roadies that I've ridden. Mindyou it is somewhat more modern. I came very close to buying one of those Korean Hyosung GT650's, which by most accounts are quite good. It's just that I didn't want to be a guinea pig for something that might be a flop with not much resale value, etc. So I decided to spend the extra and get the SV.

Well that's me. Thanks people. :)

wari
26th April 2004, 00:01
Great tosee ya here ....

welcome :spudwave:

KATWYN
26th April 2004, 08:48
Hi there Les, welcome
This is a great forum to be a part of. So much info &
opinions on bikes and anything to do with bikes

Ms Piggy
26th April 2004, 09:06
Welcome along, pull up a chair & get comfortable! You'll meet some great people here :cool:

Hitcher
26th April 2004, 10:00
Welcome Les. It's good to see another southerner join our ranks!

dangerous
26th April 2004, 19:18
wooo hooo.... what ya know now theres about 6-7 ChCh users we will get ther yet :D
Hi Les I see that you are most proberly out at No1 hanger, ya might even Know my step father Graham Jeffries (depending on how long youv'e been there)

Zed
26th April 2004, 19:26
Hi all. Yep, I'm new to this forum & thought that I'd post here to introduce myself to whoever wants to know...

I'm down in CHCH and have recently bought myself a brand spanking Suzuki SV650 after having no bike for 6 or 7 years. I can't work out how I went that long without a bike now! ...
I really love the SV and rate it highly from what I remember of the other roadies that I've ridden. Mindyou it is somewhat more modern...
Hi Les,

Welcome to KB & back into the world of bikes. After such a long break it must be a good feeling to get back onto two wheels again, especially a year 2003!! Big changes in the design of motorcycles over the last 7 years eh!:yes:

Zed

laRIKin
26th April 2004, 19:33
Gidday mate, I'll see you on the road.
Sometime soon I may have to ask you all the silly question's about your
bike. As my partner is now thinking about one.

merv
26th April 2004, 20:02

I'm down in CHCH and have recently bought myself a brand spanking Suzuki SV650 after having no bike for 6 or 7 years. I can't work out how I went that long without a bike now! I was always into bikes from an early age. I grew up on the West Coast & bikes were pretty handy vehicles. My first bike was a DR200 and then I went though various trail bikes...TT250, XT600 & XR600. Have previously owned a couple of roadies...VTR250 & a GSX750 Katana.

I really love the SV and rate it highly from what I remember of the other roadies that I've ridden. Mindyou it is somewhat more modern. I came very close to buying one of those Korean Hyosung GT650's, which by most accounts are quite good. It's just that I didn't want to be a guinea pig for something that might be a flop with not much resale value, etc. So I decided to spend the extra and get the SV.

Well that's me. Thanks people. :)

Hi. Christchurch is a great place for bikes. I lived there for 5 years back in the 70s and just loved riding on the Peninsula, dirt and sealed roads. I was down there on holiday weekend before last (rental car - no bike) and cruised round to Diamond Harbour, Port Levy and Pigeon Bay and then around the Summit Road and down Long Bay Road into Akaroa. Motu would like this, I was pleased to find that the road from Port Levy to Pigeon Bay at least is still gravel and so are many of the other roads off to the side I used to enjoy on the dirt bike. I used to drive them all in my car too and I laugh that now they are marked as 4 wheel drive tracks. The trusty Hillman Hunter never needed 4 wheels driven to go up those tracks. I reckon you should get a dirt bike again as well.

At Akaroa I spotted a few bikes - see pic attached. Any KBer's in that lot. The main road over the hill is true biker heaven and the SV will love that.

magnum
27th April 2004, 10:46
hello and welcome

Les
27th April 2004, 18:04
Yep I'm at No. 1 Hangar and I recognize your dad's name but can't put a face to it. I've only been there for 4 years so there is still quite a few blokes that I don't know.

I thought that there would be more CHCH riders here than that. Let's see that increase!

Cheers mate

Les
27th April 2004, 18:06
Feel free to ask away. I can't recommend the SV enough. It's an awesome bike. Your partner should stop thinking and get one...won't regret it!

See you out there!

Les
27th April 2004, 18:10
I went for a ride over to Akaroa last week and that road is AWESOME on a bike. The SV is in her element on those type of roads. I play around the peninsula and the port hills a lot. We are very lucky to have these roads.

I fully want another dirt bike and thought about buying a new DR650 but settled on the straight road bike. I'm gonna get a cheap little trail bike 'cos my partner wants to learn and she would prefer to learn on a trailbike.

What a cheerful friendly lot you guy are. I'm glad I joined up. Cheers to everyone!

toads
27th April 2004, 18:29
Welcome Les, I'm new too, but finding it great fun and very informative at times, glad you're enjoying your new bike, :2thumbsup cheers Lucy

Hitcher
28th April 2004, 11:27
I went for a ride over to Akaroa last week and that road is AWESOME on a bike. The SV is in her element on those type of roads. I play around the peninsula and the port hills a lot. We are very lucky to have these roads.

Ahh, you've made me come over all nostalgic! The ride from Christchurch to Akaroa in the late afternoon on a fine Canterbury day is one of nature's marvels! The corners up the hill from Little River are some of the best in New Zealand and the road surface is immaculate! The ride around the crater rim too is something special, with stunning views left and right -- fun in a strong Norwester though... You are indeed lucky to have these roads at your back door!

k14
28th April 2004, 11:47
Yip, welcome to this forum. Hope you enjoy it.

I was thinking of going to akaroa on saturday morning if it is sunny. Haven't had a decent ride for a week or so, need some good twisties.

If anyone wants to tag along feel free.

Hitcher
28th April 2004, 12:42

I was thinking of going to akaroa on saturday morning if it is sunny. Haven't had a decent ride for a week or so, need some good twisties.

*Envy* Go on, rub it in...

merv
28th April 2004, 13:05
The ride around the crater rim too is something special, with stunning views left and right -- fun in a strong Norwester though... You are indeed lucky to have these roads at your back door!

... and I used to love it when it snowed up there, on the dirt bike of course.

p.s. I had no comment about the bikes in that pic I posted on the first page so I presume no-one on here owns them.

Kickaha
28th April 2004, 13:56

Damn,working that day,but I'll be keen anyother time and I have fork seals to do anyway, welcome aboard Les,very handy place that Air NZ for getting all sorts of work done,not that any of the guys out there do foreigners or anything.

dangerous
28th April 2004, 18:45
At Akaroa I spotted a few bikes - see pic attached. Any KBer's in that lot.

Na Merv none of them belong to KBer's infact I dont even reconise any of them even the one with the poffta plate :shifty:

Hitcher The way you talk about them old hills is like poetry.... I hope I can get another ride in up to the Hilltop for a beer before the snow arives :ride:

K14 I'd like to get a ride in but it wont be Sat morn and it will depend on the weather :cold:

Kikaha I dident relise that you had a road bike I asumed only the bucket Ill keep you in mind for the next ride... what do you ride on the road? :scooter:

And for those of you that dont know the area below is a couple of pic's at the Hilltop the one of the view is Akaroa in the distence eat ya hart out Hitcher :niceone:
Pic's thanks to SuzyQ

k14
28th April 2004, 20:10
Ok, thats sweet. Don't know if i will go now, with only 1 main fairing. I was wanting to get back in time for the V8's on saturday and sunday. So maybe next weekend? Hopefully i can get my fairings fixed by then.

Kickaha
28th April 2004, 20:54
Kikaha I dident relise that you had a road bike I asumed only the bucket Ill keep you in mind for the next ride... what do you ride on the road? :scooter:

Just bought a scruffy $400 dollar XJ550 off trade me and clocked up 1300km up in the North Island where I picked it up,gotta do the fork seals before I do much more though.

Tas
28th April 2004, 22:41
Welcome Les,
From North to South and everywhere in between.

boris
29th May 2004, 11:10
good to see you here Les bit closer than svdownunder.Hope you meet up with the others down your way for a ride.

boris