PDA

View Full Version : Best Way From Auckland to Rotorua

Tassiegixxer
17th March 2003, 13:24
Hello all,
I will be in the Auckland area soon and want to ride from Auckland to Rotorua the most scenic way, stay the night in Rotorua :beer: then ride to Waitomo fairly directly.

Can anyone suggest some good roads or places to drop into on the way? The real touring day will be Auckland to Rotorua but I need to arrive in Waitomo from Rotorua in time enough to sample some caving and rafting:D

Any suggestions welcome:bigthumb:

What?
17th March 2003, 14:38
Welcome to Un Zud, mate.

I trust you have a map of our wee island. Best way to Rotorua is to simply avoid highways 1, 2 and 27 as much as possible. However, SH2 from Paeroa to Tauranga is quite scenic, if heavily populated by trucks and cars.

My favourite route, though lacking on other attractions, is from Pukekohe to Hamilton via highway 22. Just watch the surface for loose metal on tight bends.

If you enjoy serious miles, try going to Thames (boring run from Auckland), north to Coromandel and on to Whitianga then continue down the coast to Tauranga. From there to Rotorua you can take the highway through Te Puke, head over the Kaimai (SH29) and back over the Mamaku (SH5), or take the Pyes Pa route (tight, stuff all traffic and a couple of K's gravel) Allow 8 hours plus sight seeing time for this route.

From Rotorua to Waitomo, the quick, yet still reasonably interesting, way is to head south out of town, turn right into SH30 and follow the signs to Te Kuiti. From there head north on SH3 to Waitomo.

Enjoy...:done:

Tassiegixxer
17th March 2003, 15:26
Thanks, I'll check that on my mip when I get home. :D

Marmoot
5th June 2003, 16:10
Sorry a bit late.....

Hunua -> Mercer -> SH22 -> Waingaro -> Hamilton

Hamilton -> Mystery Creek -> Arapuni Dams -> SH30 -> Rotorua