PDA

View Full Version : Moderate skilled rider training.

petesmeats
10th April 2006, 11:59
Hi I am a 19yo student who got his full liscence and first larger bike over christmas. The more i ride the bike and the more i get comfortable with the bike and the more i read this forum, the more i find that there is so much more that i dont know. I am wondering whether there are courses or track days that would help me devolop my riding skill (in or around christchurch). I ask this as i am fairly keen to make it to 20.... and i also am wanting to be able to ride much faster in a safe way. I dont want to learn my lessons on the road and i am aware that roads are not a proving ground or a place to practice race riding/driving as so many people my age (in cages or on bikes) seem to think. Any (cheap) suggestions?

Two Smoker
10th April 2006, 12:04
Track days!!! You will learn alot by getting out there and having a go yourself, then when more is wanted and needed to learn, there is a wealth of knowledge on here from people that regularly go to the track and race...

Keep an eye out for the KB track days and others being held at Manfield :niceone:

R6_kid
10th April 2006, 12:05
you sound a bit like me, except i was a tad luckier with the age and type of bike i got.

Basically moderate yourself on the road. As for the track, get in touch with your local M/C racing club. Any time at a track day is beneficial, if you go in the medium pace group, find someone in the fast group whos style you like, and ask them to watch you for a few laps, and give you feedback when you come in after each session. They'll be chuffed as that you think they are the shiz, and will more than likely oblige to help you out.

It worked well for me when i went to Manfield, at the start of the day i wasn't getting to the edge of my tyres, and the end the edges were burning up and i was even get the rear out exiting some corners.

limbimtimwim
10th April 2006, 12:17
I 3rd the track day idea.

I came out of Manfield a better rider.

kiwifruit
10th April 2006, 13:28
A track day (esp the first one) is the single best thing you can do to improve your riding, in my opinion.

Rashika
11th April 2006, 08:41
Track days are the way to go. You have just missed one here at Ruapuna a couple of weeks ago, but there is another in mid may at Level raceway in Timaru, altho it is a bit of a hike to get down there.
Here the thread on the last one held here... see some pics and get enthused ;)
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24524

aff-man
11th April 2006, 09:06
I am probably in the same position.. I have had my full for a little under 2 years now. Really want to get better but havn't done any track days cause my bike is my only mode of transport and no insurance on the track.

So I'd love to learn how to ride better... I just ride as much as financially possible on the weekends. Also after a while you'll realise that your bike's suspension is probably not set up right for you/ can be made better and you'll be surprised the difference small adjustments can make...

imdying
11th April 2006, 09:13
You could come on some night rides with us?. A couple are fast, a couple of us (me) are slow. We just ride to our headlights and avoid using the brakes... all seat time is good if you're pacing yourself, relaxed, being smooth, and enjoying it :)

Rashika
11th April 2006, 09:25
I am probably in the same position.. I have had my full for a little under 2 years now. Really want to get better but havn't done any track days cause my bike is my only mode of transport and no insurance on the track.

funny about the insurance thing... Awhile ago i was talking to my insurance man down here... David Golightly for those who dont know, does good deals :2thumbsup
Anyway he mentioned that he is trying to get Training days on the track thru the insurance company, i.e. they pay and we (the insured) pay towards it for the day on the track. In order to improve the skill levels of the riders, = less claims cos hopefully less accidents.
Brilliant idea i thought, i wonder if he's had any success with it getting it initiated.

Rashika
11th April 2006, 09:26
You could come on some night rides with us?. A couple are fast, a couple of us (me) are slow. We just ride to our headlights and avoid using the brakes... all seat time is good if you're pacing yourself, relaxed, being smooth, and enjoying it :)
So whens the next one Imdying?

imdying
11th April 2006, 10:45
I would expect next Monday/Tuesday night... sadly I'm tied up till then :'(

Rashika
11th April 2006, 10:48
I would expect next Monday/Tuesday night... sadly I'm tied up till then :'(
hmmm Ok ...dont think I need to know that last piece of info tho :lol:

imdying
11th April 2006, 11:14
Hardy har har :P

Streetwise
14th April 2006, 00:12
Hello ,, First thing you dont need track days or a race track to become a better rider, All that will do is give you a false sence of security, On the road there are other vehicles pot holes and alike, Alot of road riding mistakes are made with bad decisions not bad riding.

Hoon
14th April 2006, 10:54
Yes but riding on the track allows you to make those bad decisions in relative safety with little repercussions thereby accelerating the learning process.

Squeak the Rat
20th April 2006, 16:35
Hi I am a 19yo student who got his full liscence and first larger bike over christmas. The more i ride the bike and the more i get comfortable with the bike and the more i read this forum, the more i find that there is so much more that i dont know. I am wondering whether there are courses or track days that would help me devolop my riding skill (in or around christchurch).

You could take a short blat to Dunedin this weekend to do an RRRS course. See CaN's post in http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28049&page=2 or below....

I've since talked to some one who did one of these courses and he rated it highly. He was an intermediate-experienced rider who had a break for about 5 years and said it was a great skills refresh. Good mix of theory & practice.
STR

Quite easy really.

Do you look through the corner.
You should be as you always follow where you look.

Therein lies the problem. You tend to look at the vanishing point. As you do (look to the vanishing point) you look across the centre line on a right hander. Therefore that is where you go.

If you find yourself often wandering across the centre line try looking a little shorter, say to the point on the road where the LHS seal edge and centreline meet (obviously this point will move).

You get dozens of helpful tips such as this when you attend a RRRS course.

Ride Right Ride Safe.

It is a motorcycle skills course run by BRONZ and is aimed at beginner to intermediate level.

It is run by bikers for bikers not profits, hence the cost is small ($45.00) but the content is not lacking.

Look at the calander for the next course.

Incidentally it is going on the road a bit soon including Dunedin this weekend, Palmerston North and the Mount(?) in the near future so if peoples from these parts are interested please let me know and I will se if there is space available. Prices for the other centres vary a bit though.

petesmeats
20th April 2006, 17:04
Yeah i would be keen as if i werent in wellington for the holidays...