PDA

View Full Version : crf230????

denill
10th April 2006, 16:01
Anyone had any off-road/adventure ride experience with one of these??

WRT
10th April 2006, 16:12
Try Wellyman, I think he's got one that he races.

cheese
10th April 2006, 21:38
Oh god here we go again..........

CRF230 haters club coming right up!

Transalper
10th April 2006, 22:02
Anyone had any off-road/adventure ride experience with one of these??
Yes, mine is stock except the added hand guards and bashplate.
I've had it out in forest tracks, up riverbeds and climbed pylon roads. Been through 4x4 bogs and water logged ruts. I also love those organised trail rides with the 30km hilly farm property and forestry type loops and done the Reefton to Big River and Napolean Hill 2day Tour by Dirt Action Services (http://www.actionadventures.co.nz/tours) with it.
But what do you consider to be an adventure and why do you ask?

denill
11th April 2006, 07:03
Yes, mine is stock except the added hand guards and bashplate.
But what do you consider to be an adventure and why do you ask?
Thanks for taking the time. The Adventure riding I am contemplating is gravel roads but taking in forest tracks. And say some Mike Britton stuff.

cheese wrote: Oh god here we go again..........

Ummm, I will have a search for an (anti?) CRF230 thread???

denill
11th April 2006, 07:50
Found a bit of stuff on the CRF230 <a href=http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230F.htm>HERE:</A> that some may be interested in reading???

Transalper
11th April 2006, 16:41
I guess the one thing about gravel roads to consider is wether you need a road legal bike with REG and WOF. I've seen instruction on doing that to CRF230's here somewhere and think it'd be nice to have it road going from time to time but then if I wanted a street legal dirt bike i might just try out a Suzuki DR250 Djebel (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_djebel_250_xc_2005.php) with the 17 litre tank for extr range.
BTW if this is the Mike Britton (http://www.adventurerides.co.nz/what-is-adventure-riding.htm) stuff to which you refer then Street Legal is required as you see under his Mororcycle Requirements paragraph.

Wellyman
11th April 2006, 17:04
Hello! I'm Wellyman!
I ride a 2003 Honda CRF230F which I won in 2003. I race cross country and trail ride around, sponored by Atomic Bike Wreckers.

My mods to my bike are:

Body:
Acerbis DHH Headlight
Acerbis Handguards
Race Numbers
Red Backround

Controls:

Renthal Handlebars
Shorter Clutch Lever
Tag Grips
Polisport Handguards
Gearshift lever
Black Gripper Seat Cover

Drive:

New Front Sprocket
New Gearshift lever(mashed old one)

Engine:

Removed Restrictors in muffler

Intake:

Power Up Kit
Removed Snorkel from air box

Suspension:

Race Tech Fork Emulators+ Custom weight setup
Works Performance Rear Shock

also for another project bike check out http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf230f/1/
this is offroad.com's crf230 project bike and is really cool, and also check with Kiwi rider as they did have an article on making the CRF230 road legal a fair while ago which should help you out, any more questions you have I would be happy to help you with and hope this is a good start.
Cheers,
WM

Wellyman
11th April 2006, 17:08
Nick Ramsey is a good site, I have read all the stuff on his site and is quite cool stuff. have a look on www.thumpertalk.com as they have a CRF150/230 forum which I spend a fair bit of time in as well and is full of cool info

Wellyman
11th April 2006, 17:12
I just got this from the Thumpertalk forums. this guy is a really good engine tuner and is making a CRF150/230 motor that makes 30 HP!!!! Holy shit that is fast!!!!WM

Yea, it really honks! I was riding it today. It was a perfect day for riding in the San Diego area mountains. It rained Wednesday, so the dirt was awesome.

This latest engine started life as a 150, but when I'm through with them it doesn't really matter as they all end up as 251cc and with mostly CRF230 low end parts.

The biggest part of the equation is in the head and camshaft profile. There is substantial work necessary in the head to allow the engine to make near this much power(29HP). I also have countless hours in developing and testing camshafts, pipes, carbs and other components.

The rest is like any other 4 stroke. Bigger, lighter piston, more compression, bigger carb, better pipe, beefier clutch, race fuel. You've been around. You know the story.

Most people that own these bikes would rather purchase a CRF250 or 450 rather than invest the funds necessary to build an engine like the one mentioned above, and rightfully so.

BUT, some folks will! Most of the people willing to invest in a BBR chassis are also willing to invest in a full house engine too!

I'm going to keep on tinkering. My goal is 30 rear wheel HP. I'm real close.

denill
12th April 2006, 07:18
Hey thanks for that stuff Wellyman. There is a lot of reading there.

Do you or anyone else know what sort of sustainable top road speed the CRF230 has??

Wellyman
12th April 2006, 18:10
about 100km/h or so I would estimate but it depends on the gearing of ther bike really, but with stock gearing it would do 100 atleast I would say
WM

Wellyman
12th April 2006, 18:12
Hey Denill!
Nordie had uploaded the pages from the KR to the site already in another thread check it out: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=497636&postcount=6

thanks Nordie!!!

WM

crazyxr250rider
12th April 2006, 22:10
Oh god here we go again..........

CRF230 haters club coming right up!Bwahahahahaaaa!!!!!!!!! CRF's suck:2guns: :2guns: ...........Nah Im over that.
Had a go on my mates one the other day for a decent ride and I have to admit they are quite fun although not as fast or powerful as the XR ,oh and I LOVE electic start (Any other XR owners will know why....)

crazyxr250rider
12th April 2006, 22:17
Thanks for taking the time. The Adventure riding I am contemplating is gravel roads but taking in forest tracks. And say some Mike Britton stuff.

cheese wrote: Oh god here we go again..........

Ummm, I will have a search for an (anti?) CRF230 thread???]
No just see my RIP XR's Thread......:bleh:

scott411
13th April 2006, 10:01
a KAwasaki Super sherpa is worth looking at , only $6995 with the road gear already fitted, disc brakes front and rear, built in japan, looks good in black

IronicCapers
13th April 2006, 13:58
All those mods that are being done to the crf230s seem a bit ridiculous. If you really want power out of a it just trade it in for a CRF250X. Lighter, faster, better handling, electric start and kick start and the beauty of it is you don't have to take it to bits to install and properly tune it to so it can get the power and handling you desire. Aircooled bikes are quite heavy and gutless. Although my mate had a crf230 and he did the oparau race last year on it. But he loves his WR250F even more.

denill
13th April 2006, 14:16
The reponse has been great. Rightly or wrongly - I have ordered a new CRF230. Motorcycles are ALL very diferent to each other, with their own nuances.
In my case I went for the new CRF because I got a *sharp* price, which made it stack up with stuff on Trade Me.

As I have spent many hours in the past wearing out XR200s (then going to the magic little KDX200s) I will be interested in seeing how this latest example - with a few steroids will stack up.

For the very little gravel road work it will get - an Acerbis tail lamp will keep it looking legal enough - (he writes hopefully)

The cops don't really vet this site, do they??

WRT
13th April 2006, 14:25
LOL - noooooo, no cops on this site, no siree.

Congrats on the new purchase tho ;)

Wellyman
13th April 2006, 14:49
Well done mate! good choice on the bike! if you need any help or advice with it just gimmie a buzz, I'm happy to help out a kiwibiker member.

P.S I shall post up a review of my Racetech bits after my first ride with them this weekend.
WM

crazyxr250rider
13th April 2006, 19:18
LOL - noooooo, no cops on this site, no siree.

Congrats on the new purchase tho ;)
Yeeeeeeeeaaaah right....:laugh:

southernman
13th April 2006, 19:51
the big thing you need to look at is this just a xr 200 with a disk on it . and yes had 3 xr 200 and loved them but thay lacked power and the breakes were poor. so got a 230 and loved the little bit more power and the breaks and the electric leg. but it is still a xr old and doggy. so got a 250 and this is the gap filler that makes real power and cost f all more than the 230.

Wellyman
13th April 2006, 20:54
the big thing you need to look at is this just a xr 200 with a disk on it . and yes had 3 xr 200 and loved them but thay lacked power and the breakes were poor. so got a 230 and loved the little bit more power and the breaks and the electric leg. but it is still a xr old and doggy. so got a 250 and this is the gap filler that makes real power and cost f all more than the 230.

thanks for the comment buddy, but work on your splleng beofre yuor nxte psto.:rofl:

WM

merv
13th April 2006, 21:51
Not being road legal has put me off the CRF230 hence me ending up with the WR250F and the XR250L. I have never ridden a CRF230 but if they are anything like the last XR200R I had (and I remember you on the XRs too) you will be happy with its speed on gravel. My XR200RD would easily cruise all day at over 100km/hr on stock gearing 13T/50T and it never cared on road rides in the Wairarapa if you just nailed it on the throttle stop for as long as the road lasted. If I was doing a ride biased more to road such as an adventure ride instead of a trail ride I ran it with gearing of 15T/50T and then it would cruise all day at over 120km/hr and you couldn't break the engine. I sold that bike in perfect nick after 15 years and the only time an engine case came off was to once replace the clutch plates. I am sure the 230 is as strong.

Now in comparison the WR250F will easily show 160km/hr on the speedo (over 150 according to my GPS) and it is as light as an XR200 and in some ways very similar to ride hence when I got it I felt like I was back on a Honda and glad to see the end of my Suzuki DR250R. What I can't imagine though is the engine being hammered for 15 years without regular expensive engine rebuilds and a CRF250X will be no better than the WR250F so they can't be compared to the 230 really. Do you want fast or do you want longevity as you won't get both? That's why I got the XR250L as well to handle the big distance dirt plus road rides as its engine will last. We are tripping down south for the next two weeks and the WR is staying home.

I am sure you will enjoy the 230 it will be like youa re back on your old 200.

denill
14th April 2006, 08:10
All those mods that are being done to the crf230s seem a bit ridiculous. If you really want power out of a it just trade it in for a CRF250X. Lighter, faster, better handling, electric start and kick start.

Yeah, what you say is quite right. Except that EVERY model has it's subtle differences. THey are like fingerprints - they look the same, but they're not.
The CRF250 has all the advantages that you say - but the piston has to be replaced at 15 hours......

There is no such thing as a free lunch, eh.

crazyxr250rider
14th April 2006, 11:56
Yeah, what you say is quite right. Except that EVERY model has it's subtle differences. THey are like fingerprints - they look the same, but they're not.
The CRF250 has all the advantages that you say - but the piston has to be replaced at 15 hours......

There is no such thing as a free lunch, eh.
15hrs hahahah you think your that good eh??:rofl: