PDA

View Full Version : 04 1000's comparo

SPman
26th April 2004, 10:11
Well those of you subscribing to Motorcycle Online, the comparo test of all 8 1000cc sportbikes is out.Interesting reading. As expected, this sums it up:-

" All eight of these bikes have some serious juice. Ha! Effortless fourth gear power wheelies barely begin to describe the nature of the thrust generated by these personal cruise missiles. We're talking unadulterated, atom-bomb-up-the-arse Come to Jesus! power. With such a surfeit of horsepower across the spectrum, it really becomes a smaller factor in considering the respective merits of these bikes. By way of analogy, if you were told that you were going to be spending the rest of you life on an island with your choice of any one of the ten most beautiful women on the planet, would you waste a nanosecond of your time worrying about their respective looks? Not if you were smart. Since they are all stupefyingly beautiful, you'd most likely be more concerned about their personalities and long-term prospects for getting along. So there you have it, horsepower is a given".

As expected, the ZX10 is the hairiest:-

"Outside of the racetrack, the ZX-10R is a wild-eyed stallion, waiting to trample your daisies, rape your livestock, and, if you're lucky, land you in jail. If you're not lucky... well I don't even want to think about it. "

ZX10 Stability

-"The bad feature of all this is that on any type of ruffled surface your hero pose is likely accompanied by some righteous headshake totally unchecked by a steering damper because there isn't one. What's up with that Kawasaki? You cheap bastards. I saw Jesus, Mohammed, and the entire Bhagavad-Gita flash before my eyes 10 seconds into my first straightaway!"

Analysis

"As a final note it must be emphasized that aside from being way fast, all of these bikes are also astonishingly competent.There is truly not a bad motorcycle in the entire lot and ranking them from first to last is largely a matter of splitting hairs. Only a dolt would be anything other than deliriously happy with any of these incredible motorcycles. All eight are eminently worthy flagships of their respective factories. "
So, as always, if you're in the market for these sort of bikes, it boils down to a matter of personal choice - but isnt it great to have this much choice!

SPman
26th April 2004, 10:19
How they were ranked and power and torque figures(for those who like numbers):-

1:- HONDA CBR 1000RR - 150.53 Bhp 77.72 ft/lbs
2:- YAMAHA YZF-R1 - 155.50 Bhp, 73.81ft/lbs
3:- KAWASAKI ZX-10R - 158.76 Bhp, 78.31 ft/lbs
4:- HONDA RC51 - 122.52 Bhp, 72.09 ft/lbs
5:- APRILIA RSV R - 117.68 Bhp, 69.63ft/lbs
6:- SUZUKI GSX-R1000 - 156.92 Bhp, 82.31 ft/lbs
7:- DUCATI 999 - 118.55 Bhp, 71.77ft/lbs
8:- TRIUMPH 955i Daytona - 132.52 Bhp, 69.70ft/lbs

Coldkiwi
26th April 2004, 13:27
interesting.. i'm glad someone finally made the point about 'you don't really need to worry which has more grunt!'

DEATH_INC.
27th April 2004, 14:07
interesting.. i'm glad someone finally made the point about 'you don't really need to worry which has more grunt!'
:eek: Go wash your mouth out! :eek:

Cajun
27th April 2004, 14:54
nah ya don't need more grunt,

i gave my new 600 a couple of good full throttle twists from 2nd gear yesterday, up until about 11 in 4th, which was only a few secs really to get there, and it forced my ass to slide back quite a bit, i wasn't expecting that sorta power, it feels like it had more power than my old gsxr1100, which i know for a fact had 130hp at the rear wheel, so a good 25 odd ponies over the new 600, which is the hp off my old zzr250.

I be taking one of the zx10r for a ride in week or so just waiting for brother in law to clock up his demo kms then take it for a spin.

Cajun
27th April 2004, 14:55
i see the gixxer loses out 2 hp but has 4 more pounds of torque

go the gixxers (c:<

White trash
27th April 2004, 16:17
Are you gay? :shake:

White trash
27th April 2004, 16:19
What I find interesting is the Gixxer is not only close on horsepower, it has a good deal more torque than the others.

Not that I give a rats arse, they're all far to much for meek, mild mannered, low skill level equiped, Mr Trash. :baby:

Coldkiwi
27th April 2004, 17:08
Are you gay? :shake:

no... just observant. I did say NEED, not want! (hence ghostriders 499hp turboed 'what-muffler?' busa.. yeah baby!)

when was the last time someone knowledgable described a new 1 litre bike as gutless?? (excluding v-twins)

madandy
27th April 2004, 19:09
Damn that R1 mill must be peaky with only 73.81ft/lbs and making 155.5hp.at the wheel, right?
I'd like which ever of them pulls the strongest through the mid range while maintaining a hell top end too.But then all these fours are so damn powerful its purely accademic to a learner like me:baby:

Motoracer
27th April 2004, 19:30
I wouldn't care about the power figures unless if I was looking for a compitition machine for Superbike racing.

For road riding I'd pick the R1 based just on its looks :love:

hondav2
22nd May 2004, 19:33
All going well I will have my new CBR1000rr on tuesday so will be able to tell yous what I think. Still got my VTR1000 , keeping it till I learnt 2 ride the CBR. Cheers Toddy