PDA

View Full Version : how many driving lamps allowed

slimjim
10th April 2006, 19:13
high there ,:scratch: i would like to know if anyone has the knowledge as to how many driving lamps are allowed on NZ roads,:dodge: as i was wondering if i would be breaking any rules on fitting two extra spot lights to front of bike,:scooter: , hella ones ,:spudbooge which are small driving lamps, and i can fit them to either side of turning lamps:wait:

Motu
10th April 2006, 21:35
You can have two,mounted symetricly and wired to high beam.

Karitane pete
10th April 2006, 21:36
The LTSA have a small book out that is free, I picked one up at REPCO last month, tells you all about light on bikes and cars.

Marmoot
10th April 2006, 21:51
I think it is Four in front of a car under normal driving condition.
In foggy/low visibility condition you can have 2 extra.

I'm not sure if you are allowed 4 all Headlights instead of 2 head and 2 small.

Ixion
10th April 2006, 22:31
They changed the rules about a year ago. They have actually abolished the term driving lamp now. You have only dipped headlights and main beam headlights. Driving lamps now class as main beam headlamps. And the bastiges have only allowed for two on a bike (of which one is your "normal" main beam headlamp). Previously you could have two driving lamps plus the headlamp. Typical LTSA bastards going out of their way to make us less safe.

But you can have two fog lamps as well if you want, or call one driving lamp an extra dipped beam (2 allowed) and you can have two daylight running lamps also, and two cornering lamps (need to turn with the steering but thats easy on a bike).

Pisses me off the way the LTSA go out of their way to make things less safe for us.

Fortunately no cops know about the change, and it is easy to pull one off for a WoF (or, put a switch in the "normal" main bean and say the two driving lamps are your main beams.)

Still bastards but. I like lots of light at night.

Marmoot
10th April 2006, 23:44
And the bastiges have only allowed for two on a bike (of which one is your "normal" main beam headlamp).

He....hehehe....heee.....even with my high beam on I'm still legal on the Hayabusa. Only has 1 main light and 1 high beam :blah:

scumdog
11th April 2006, 00:14
Pisses me off the way the LTSA go out of their way to make things less safe for us.

Fortunately no cops know about the change, and it is easy to pull one off for a WoF (or, put a switch in the "normal" main bean and say the two driving lamps are your main beams.)

Still bastards but. I like lots of light at night.

Oh we know about the change alright - just nobody tells us what constitutes a driving lamp or a fog lamp or etc.
And there are also those irritating factory low mounted lights that must be as much use as a chocolate fireguard....WTF are THEY meant to be?

Ixion
11th April 2006, 00:20
Daytime running lamps I suspect. Allowed two off, bike or car. Must be white or amber light , diffuse .

scumdog
11th April 2006, 00:21
Daytime running lamps I suspect. Allowed two off, bike or car. Must be white or amber light , diffuse .

Shame they have to leave them on after dark.....

Pixie
11th April 2006, 14:03
Oh we know about the change alright - just nobody tells us what constitutes a driving lamp or a fog lamp or etc.
And there are also those irritating factory low mounted lights that must be as much use as a chocolate fireguard....WTF are THEY meant to be?
They are very useful....
For blinding other drivers

slimjim
11th April 2006, 16:32
thanks, now i know i can fit fog's and run then in daylight too,