PDA

View Full Version : What the hell?

jrandom
26th April 2004, 10:42
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3562651&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

"The hikoi protesting at the proposed foreshore and seabed legislation has police permission to march over the Auckland Harbour Bridge at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars and huge disruption to motorists."

I'll be heading to the Shore early via Coatesville tomorrow morning, then.

I'm also strongly considering riding back and over the bridge through the stopped-up northbound traffic and hurling eggs at the protestors. Who on earth allowed this travesty of common sense to go ahead?

Antallica
26th April 2004, 11:20
I was workin on the FXR about 20min ago and the protestors just went past my house, looks like they were causing trouble in town.

Funny thing was, that I saw what looked like an undercover cop car with all the lights going... they didn't look like cops and it had a small maori organisation sign on the side of it.

The cops were around directing traffic of course.

merv
26th April 2004, 11:56
Who on earth allowed this travesty of common sense to go ahead?

Probably the same people that are objecting to what a jam up V8 racing near the viaduct might cause.

James Deuce
26th April 2004, 12:16
I just hope no one gets hurt. Didn't a little girl die in the 1975 protest march?

KATWYN
26th April 2004, 17:16
I just hope no one gets hurt. Didn't a little girl die in the 1975 protest march?

I vaguely remember a death of a child in a mid - late 80's protest in some gardens as well...some Muir/Mair? guy leading it (Ken)?

Can't even remember the protest....must've been really effective

Deano
26th April 2004, 17:25
I was workin on the FXR about 20min ago and the protestors just went past my house, looks like they were causing trouble in town.

Funny thing was, that I saw what looked like an undercover cop car with all the lights going... they didn't look like cops and it had a small maori organisation sign on the side of it.

The cops were around directing traffic of course.

What sort of trouble?

SPman
26th April 2004, 17:38
I vaguely remember a death of a child in a mid - late 80's protest in some gardens as well...some Muir/Mair? guy leading it (Ken)?

Wanganui gardens occupation. The girl died in a tent fire. Ken Mair.

KATWYN
26th April 2004, 18:24
Wanganui gardens occupation. The girl died in a tent fire. Ken Mair.

Thanks. Yea that was it. I don't know the outcome and whether it was
all worth it- the issue seemed to die a natural death?

marty
26th April 2004, 19:27
they will be Maori Liaison Officers (MILO's). they are sworn officers. did they look well fed, in a burgandy Falcon?

Deano
26th April 2004, 20:00
they will be Maori Liaison Officers (MILO's). they are sworn officers. did they look well fed, in a burgandy Falcon?

Is that the PC term (MILO's)...... :lol:

Antallica
26th April 2004, 21:20
Yeah they were real stocky dudes... wouldn't want to mess with them.

Nah it was a real dark blue Holden exactly the same as the HP cars, but unmarked & all kitted out as a real undercover + that Maori symbol of some kind of the side.

jimbo600
26th April 2004, 21:40

Yup Ken Mare

An absolute tosser.

Shazuki
26th April 2004, 21:47
There are two nations in New Zealand...one to serve the other when it decides to protest past treatment from the other...

SPman
26th April 2004, 22:33
There are two nations in New Zealand...one to serve the other when it decides to protest past treatment from the other... There are only two nations if you think there are two nations.
Personally, I couldnt give a toss if they want to walk over the bridge. Life as I know it wont end if i cant use the bridge for an hour or so.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_9_132.gif

moko
27th April 2004, 06:34
Nah it was a real dark blue Holden exactly the same as the HP cars, but unmarked & all kitted out as a real undercover....

Bit confused at that statement,dosnt sound very "undercover" to me.One of my neighbours crapped herself a couple of years back,her car was stolen and the Police told her they`d found it abandoned but o.k. in a bad part of town but they had a couple of guys looking after it so to get herself a Taxi down and she could pick it up.2 guys were lurking in a doorway,one had rings in his top lip,eyebrow and about 4 in his nose,other one "looked like a Hells Angel","Dont worry love,we`re drugs squad",and they were,poor woman thought she was going to get mugged.There are some seriously mean looking bastards work for the drug squad locally,I saw them in action once,before the pounded on some guy`s door they were walking towards me,I`m not the nervous type and have been around a bit but these guys definately gave off a "dont F*** with me" aura and I was mightily relieved when they hung a right and I realised they were the good guys.

Lou Girardin
27th April 2004, 06:41
According to the Herald, the Hikoi is not exactly a march. The drove from Whangarei to Auckland, will walk over the bridge and then drive again.
It looks like even protesters have got soft, Whina Cooper walked the whole way.
Lou

jrandom
27th April 2004, 07:32
Life as I know it wont end if i cant use the bridge for an hour or so.

Ooooh, look. Apathy. :p

*I* on the other hand have to use it twice a day. Hence I am righteously ticked off.

Perhaps they'll let me organise a march across the bridge next week to *support* the Government's policy. And then we can have another march the week after that to protest the inefficient use of public roads by demonstrators.

RiderInBlack
27th April 2004, 07:57
*I* on the other hand have to use it twice a day. Hence I am righteously ticked off.
I thought Westies didn't use the Bridge:Pokey: Just teasing Jrandom, besides it's cheap for a Whangarei-ite to hassle a Westie (we make Westies look sofisticated):msn-wink:

jrandom
27th April 2004, 08:20
I thought Westies didn't use the Bridge:Pokey:

Nah mate, we just swim across the harbour... actually I have three ways to get to work in Takapuna - over the bridge, via Greenhithe, and up through Riverhead-Coatesville. Bridge is fastest and I'm usually in a hurry, hence Big Dog's stories about a guy on a small blue bike weaving crazily through the traffic every morning.

I'm working from home this morning but if I go in later methinks I'll take the Coatesville road.

Whangarei-ite? Hey, at least you're not from Kaitaia :bleh:

RiderInBlack
27th April 2004, 08:31
Nah mate, we just swim across the harbour...
He he he:laugh: ha ha ha :lol:

Whangarei-ite? Hey, at least you're not from Kaitaia :bleh:
I'll let you get away with that, only because I don't count Westies as JAFA's:bleh:

spudchucka
27th April 2004, 09:49

It was an occupation of Motua gardens in Wanganui. A little girl drowned in a fountain in the gardens. Ken Mair was one of the main players.

DEATH_INC.
27th April 2004, 14:01
I reckon they should have let them walk over the bridge amoungst the northbound traffic....... :Pokey:

RiderInBlack
27th April 2004, 20:18
Saw on the News that it cost $50,000 to provide safety for the crossing (guess who's pay that). Although they said there was very little (or no) hold-up to traffic crossing the bridge, they did not mention what the traffic was like on the Upper Habour Highway or the North-West motorway (bet that was busy).

jrandom
28th April 2004, 09:12
They were going to do it anyway.

This is an email from Transit NZ to a colleague who asked them about it.

Sent: Tuesday, 27 April 2004 2:24 p.m.
To: ...
Subject: Re: A message from the Contact Us web page.

Hello Matt

Transit New Zealand has a standing policy regarding the use of the Auckland Harbour Bridge for events.

The event

- is of national significance
- will generate national participation, and have the support of reputable stakeholders (such as local government, the New Zealand Police)
- will be scheduled at such a time and in such a way so as not to create excessive traffic delay
- will generate international interest
- organisers must be able to meet the costs associated with the management of traffic

In accordance with this policy the organisers of the Hikoi were declined their initial request to cross the bridge on foot.

It became clear to the New Zealand Police and Transit as the Hikoi approached Auckland, that attempts to dissuade the organisers from crossing the Auckland Harbour Bridge had failed, and there was a significant risk of disturbance to the motorway lanes on the North Shore. This risk was sufficiently real for Transit to resolve with the police to facilitate the Hikoi to cross safely.

This judgment to facilitate the crossing is appropriate for the circumstances and does not establish a precedent for Transit to allow any or all groups to cross the bridge on foot. Transit does not have a view on the purpose or nature of the Hikoi.

Auckland’s motorway system is an essential economic artery for the city and Transit is fully aware of its responsibilities to keep traffic lanes open. Transit is however keenly aware of doing this without compromising either road users, the Police in their enforcement role or the community at large.

It is Transit’s responsibility to exercise judgement in this regard. We remain of the view that the appropriate decision has been made. We expect that with the advice that’s been provided to the general public, that sufficient avoidable trips will be deferred or delayed. While this creates inconvenience we don’t expect disruption to be excessive.

Marguerite Fahy
Communications Advisor
Transit New Zealand

Gixxer
28th April 2004, 10:23
[QUOTE=jrandom]
I'm working from home this morning but if I go in later methinks I'll take the Coatesville road.QUOTE]

so jrandom, did this end up affecting you at all? :spudwhat:

magnum
28th April 2004, 10:35
i respect our democratic right to protest but i think most wont be to impressed,different if they walked the length of the country instead they will make there point by pissing off lots of jaffas.public oppinion would help the cause but i think that doing a half pie job wont help there cause. :thud:

jrandom
28th April 2004, 12:12
so jrandom, did this end up affecting you at all? :spudwhat:

Nope. Went into work about 2pm over the bridge, traffic was back to normal.

Lou Girardin
29th April 2004, 06:47
I thought it was a great move by the Hikoi organisers. The more they piss off the silent majority, the sooner Labours social engineers will get booted out of power.

RiderInBlack
29th April 2004, 14:13
I thought it was a great move by the Hikoi organisers. The more they piss off the silent majority, the sooner Labours social engineers will get booted out of power.
Not that smart for them, because if Labour goes they will have to deal with National. Cann't see that helping the Maori Radicials. Maybe give them more to protest about:niceone: