PDA

View Full Version : newbie bike to buy

djleigh
11th April 2006, 12:31
Hi well i have just joined up and im currently looking at buying a 1990 honda cbr250rr want to know your thoughts on this bike if all is good ill buy next week tuesday just want to know if it a good bike to have IE they dont give any shit and stuff like that. This has been on here before i bet but i havent

any coments well come

thanks in advance

oh and it will be my first bike:niceone:

HDTboy
11th April 2006, 12:42
Yeah they're a great bike if you're confident. They're not cheap to repair after dropping.
I bought one as my first bike, and to be honest it was a tad too powerful. That said, after a year of thrashing it everywhere I still hadn't found the limits of it, and still enjoyed myself riding it.
Don't worry about high Ks, they're usually pretty good, mine had 93000kms on it when I wrote it off and was still going strong

djleigh
11th April 2006, 12:53
sounds mean i want a fast bike because iv got a tt supra and they quick I like speed you see but ill take my time on the bike and slowly get quicker dont want to crash it and it only got 16000Km on clock dont know how true that is but the bike is in good nic and has new tyres and after market can.

Sniper
11th April 2006, 13:12
So keen on loosing your license?

Anyway, yea they are great bikes, I had one too and like HDT said, I also never found the limits of the bike, they just go forever.

Another thing, remember, speed ain't anything when you get passed on the inside by a slower bike. Stay safe mate

Drum
11th April 2006, 13:22
Welcome djleigh.

Leave the habits learned while driving your cage behind and you should be all right.

djleigh
11th April 2006, 13:27
yeah i know bikes are a totaly diffrent thing and i cant wait to start sounds like ill go and get that bike then and be safe with it

Bend-it
11th April 2006, 13:50
Hey welcome to KB. I'm a relative newbie as well. Have a Suzuki Bandit 250, like the naked bike look, and I think not having fairings to break is good for a first bike... ;)

Yeah, I came from driving fast cars too. I have an Evo2 powered Mitsi RVR and a starlet gt in the garage. Quite different on a bike... Great fun though!!

Patrick
11th April 2006, 14:03
Have a naked Bandit 250 too. Blardy nice fun bike with get up and go. Selling soon....6th May upgrade to full and will be getting big brother soon after...

N4CR
11th April 2006, 14:15
Hey welcome... cbr250 should keep you interested for a while.Then when you get your full (or not ;) ) and a bit of experience go try a late model 600... should give you the shakes and a decent grin when you open that throttle. Then someday you can go shit yaself on a litre bike :nono:

I been in a few fastish cars (read 440hp porsche.. and a few others), and been on a few quickish bikes and bikes gave me the biggest blast of all, you have plenty ahead of you just stay safe. Makes a cbr/zxr250 very very boring in a straight line

pyrocam
11th April 2006, 14:24
mint bike. rode a 150 for 8 months before and welcomed the comfort and power of the CBR. very VERY happy with mine

djleigh
11th April 2006, 14:40
yeah sound like heaps of fun a nother reason im going to the bike is to park the supra up and work on it and at the same time try somthing new like the bikes oh and allso to save on gas when going to work. That supra of mine sure can chew through gas.

one more question what riding in the rain like im guessing take it slow.

One day when i have my full upgrading to 600cc would be nice but i think iv got a long way to go before then and a lot to learn.

djleigh
11th April 2006, 14:45
one more Q how many km's do ya get out of a full tank on one of these bikes

Sniper
11th April 2006, 14:47
I used to get 320km outta mine

steved
11th April 2006, 14:49
one more Q how many km's do ya get out of a full tank on one of these bikesAbout 250km but it depends on how hard you rape the little thing.

djleigh
11th April 2006, 14:51
man thats good did it cost under 20 to fill dont know if it will now with the price of petrol but still it will save me heaps of gas

HDTboy
11th April 2006, 14:52
I used to get 200ish.
I thought I'd park my skyline and work on it when I got the 250, I got as far as parking it then lost interest, now it's sitting in lots of bits

djleigh
11th April 2006, 14:56
man hope i dont do that not really goint take it apart just put things on

pyrocam
11th April 2006, 15:35
180 if I use it for commuting only (I commute 'hard') or if im going for a cruise its maybe 200-230

12Litres I think

and yeah riding in rain is tricker, you just dont follow so close, turn on paint or manholes, or lean over so far (stick ur bum out instead if you have to around a corner fast)

.produKt
11th April 2006, 19:21
Hehe djliegh. Im new to biking too, and i went out for a good cruise out to diamond harbour and littleton on sunday ..

Im still a bit noobish, but on this one tight corner that said 35, i entered at 70, hard on the brakes, down into 2nd at about 50 ish then gave it a almighty squirt just on the apex :D:D:D:D...

Best feeling of my life and now im truly hooked :) Just remember its a steep learning curve.
Invest the money and time and do some staying alive courses as i've done...
I learnt sooo much survival skills and i'd say its fully and completely worth it :)

Welcome to the site btw.

OMG
11th April 2006, 19:29
I learnt sooo much survival skills and i'd say its fully and completely worth it :)

Welcome to KB. $$$$ spent on lessons is $$$$ well spent.

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 19:36
one more Q how many km's do ya get out of a full tank on one of these bikes

Once stalled the bike at 180. Usually get about 190-200 before I can feel it running on fumes.

Sniper 320 -- you sure??:oi-grr:

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 19:37
I learnt sooo much survival skills and i'd say its fully and completely worth it

Which courses do you recommend?

justsomeguy
11th April 2006, 19:37
180 if I use it for commuting only (I commute 'hard')

Is that right sunshine? Mind if I commute with you one day?:blip:

BEAMER89
11th April 2006, 19:54
Welcome to KB Djliegh, enjoy the site matey.you will love the cbr just take it easy for a while mate.:banana:

djleigh
12th April 2006, 07:50
Hey thanks you guys for all the info and kindness i feel so welcome and hi to all the other newbies out there well now i cant wait to get the bike should get it next week after long weekend pitty the shop is closed for the weekend because i could have got it then oh well.

djleigh
20th April 2006, 11:38
yay got mi bike now time to start riding well learning how to ride. I have ridden bikes befor but not in a long time

Kendog
20th April 2006, 12:03
That is one sweet looking bike.
Be careful out there and I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

djleigh
20th April 2006, 12:28
thanks man yeah i really like the black and red took yeah will be careful and plan on havin lots of fun

pyrocam
20th April 2006, 13:40
yeah man looks pretty good-o! whats 'beet'

djleigh
20th April 2006, 14:13
not sure but it after market front wheel cover if that wat you call it

kickingzebra
20th April 2006, 14:24
Nice bike, Well done. Take it easy, Motorcycling is about life long learning. No one has it made. Stay safe out there!