PDA

View Full Version : So what are YOUR issues.

Big Dave
12th April 2006, 18:50
No rants - just 1 sentence or so please - what are the motorcyclists issues you want addressed by the Govt?

Mine are:
Hands free phones and the road surfaces/loose seal warnings.

I don't fully understand the ACC levies injustice thing yet - someone may like to summarise that.

What would you like to see us/we/them pick up and run with?

dc

Tar snakes

The_Dover
12th April 2006, 18:54
Not being able to use motorway bus lanes.

No other fucker does.

justsomeguy
12th April 2006, 18:58
Get rid of those cheese graters.

Use less slippery paint on the new signs painted on roads.

SixPackBack
12th April 2006, 18:59
Motorway direction division via cheese cutters...hit that shit your in pieces. Penny pinching cunts.

Grizz
12th April 2006, 18:59
1. Get rid of the 70km/hr restriction on L plates, thats just stupid and dangerous IMO.

2. Make Bus Lanes on MW's ok for bikes, and no penalties for filtering (say no faster than 60'ks and providing the traffic is below a ceratin speed or something along those lines.

3. Policing dangerous behaviour (tailgating etc) rather than just focus on speed.

Just a couple or three to add to this thread.

FROSTY
12th April 2006, 19:23
the lack of division for motorcycles on acc
MX injuries are MC injuries not sport
quad injuries are MC injuries not farm
etc etc

u4ea
12th April 2006, 19:52
get rid of the 70 k rule

Keystone19
12th April 2006, 19:56
1) Dispose of 70kph rule
2) lane splitting should be legal
3) poorly sign-posted loose metal

and probably a few more when I've had a few minutes to think about it.

SpankMe
12th April 2006, 20:01
250cc restriction when cagers have none even thou they are more dangerous to others

ACC levies. Bloody ACC need to be more holistic in their thinking.

What is government doing to encourage two wheeled transport. Whenever you see something in the media about traffic, motorbikes are never mentioned/considered.

Sniper
12th April 2006, 20:02
Cage licenses resrtictions based on the simaler rules of motorcycle.

Cellphone usage

Tarsnakes/loose seal

Motorcycle speed discretion

Motu
12th April 2006, 20:03
Stop sealing all the gravel roads!

thealmightytaco
12th April 2006, 20:05
Awareness campaign for public about looking for bikes, being courteous to bikes where possible, etc.
Thinking about bikes when deciding placement of steel manholes etc mid corner. Etc.

The rest is covered already.

aff-man
12th April 2006, 20:05
budget road repair jobs (snakes)

Acc levies... get the cagers who injure us to pay.

Ixion
12th April 2006, 20:08
ACC: (1) why separate out bikes.One single vehicle pool, every vehicel pays the same
(2) Levies based on licence holder not vehicle . If you own more than one vehicle (eg cage and bike) you pay full rego and ACC on each, even though only one used at a time.

White paint on roads

Motorway bus lanes - bring Transit to heel

70kph limit and 250 cc limit (should be approved list or HP). Simpler easier intro for young folk. Make it easier to start on two wheels instead of 4.

Police to police for driving behaviour instead of revenue gathering

Lane splitting. Follow the UK rules.

And what Mr Motu siad. Seriously. Too much money spent on making roads "easy" for brain dead idiots to drive on. Concentrate money on selected highways (for said idiots), don't spend money on back roads 9so they stay fun, for us)

That'll do to start with.

(Oh, and nationalisation of the means of production, finance, and distribution, with legislative control vested in workers' soviets. But that can wait till the mext meeting)

I hope I may get to the next BRONZ meeting. May be interesting.

Jantar
12th April 2006, 20:09
ACC levies. I have 2 bikes and 1 cage, but I can only ride or drive one at a time... So why do I have to pay 3 lots of ACC levies?

u4ea
12th April 2006, 20:13
ACC levies. I have 2 bikes and 1 cage, but I can only ride or drive one at a time... So why do I have to pay 3 lots of ACC levies?
i l put that forward too

SlashWylde
12th April 2006, 20:14
Policing dangerous driving (e.g. endemic red light running, cell phone use), With a view to changing motorists dangerous habits.

VasalineWarrior
12th April 2006, 20:14
1) Build a tunnel over the rimutucka hill, and ban all cars from the hill road
2) Declare the wairarapa a seperate city state, with carterton as its capital. Then install mikey as governor via a bloody coup' and remove all speed limits
3) introduce flogging and the stockade as penalties for all people who state ''oh sorry, i didnt see you'' as an excuse for shite driving
4) wheelie and stoppie training as part of the basic handling test
5) bring back buck!

El Dopa
12th April 2006, 20:27
Police to change their enforcement emphasis to concentrate on poor driving and not speed.

Compulsary defensive driving courses for new drivers.

Compulsary practical driving test for all overseas drivers wanting an NZ licence.

DEATH_INC.
12th April 2006, 20:33
Ditto!
Again get rid of that stupid 70kph on learners
How about compulsory driver education, rather than just handing out fines willy nilly?
:Police:

Matt Bleck
12th April 2006, 20:39
Get rid of the cheese cutters,
Drop the 70km learners thing and better roading.

Drum
12th April 2006, 20:42
.... I have 2 bikes and 1 cage, but I can only ride or drive one at a time... So why do I have to pay 3 lots of ACC levies?

I also have more than one vehicle and therefore pay levies more than once, but what if you had two teenagers, both with cage and bike licenses. Would you expect to pay more than you already do? And if so, how could it possibly be calculated and managed? Just a thought - I'd still like to pay less though!

GR81
12th April 2006, 20:49
Not being able to use motorway bus lanes.
i second this motion :)

The Stranger
12th April 2006, 20:50
1) Road engineering - Paint standards - Metal lids etc.

2) Use of bus lanes - got to be safer than splitting.

3) Clarify (consistent) rules on splitting.

4) 70kph restriction.

5) Better policing of road rules, not just speed. Include indicating at roundabout and lane changes etc etc etc.

6) Every driver has to scratch and win every 5yrs in order to keep their license.

El Dopa
12th April 2006, 20:51
How about compulsory driver education, rather than just handing out fines willy nilly?

Agreed. Compulsary re-education with every ticket.

Re-sit the practical exam every time you lose your licence, at your own cost, as a condition of having the license returned.

Compulsory resits of the practical exam every 5-10 years for everyone.

The Stranger
12th April 2006, 20:52
I also have more than one vehicle and therefore pay levies more than once, but what if you had two teenagers, both with cage and bike licenses. Would you expect to pay more than you already do? And if so, how could it possibly be calculated and managed? Just a thought - I'd still like to pay less though!

Load all acc levies onto petrol.
Either way you pay, but this way you only pay for what you use.

Big Dave
12th April 2006, 20:56
The rest is covered already.

Cover it again - I want to be able to say 'i asked 50 bikers and the responses I got were.... x% said. (it's a start)

so repeat at will.

James Deuce
12th April 2006, 20:57
Raise Motorcycle License age limit to 30.

SwanTiger
12th April 2006, 21:00
:Police:

120kmp/h Speed Limit on open roads.

No 70kmp/h learner license restriction

Driver education rather than fines, as Death suggested (fucking good idea)

Krayy
12th April 2006, 21:01
Cover it again - I want to be able to say 'i asked 50 bikers and the responses I got were.... x% said. (it's a start)

so repeat at will.
In that respect, put me down as reiterating the M/W Bus Lane usage. It'll stop potentially dangerous lane splitting and make us get to work quicker so we can work longer and pay more tax!!

Also, how bout a petrol tax reduction as we're doing our part for frugal fuel use (except doing the Loop cos I have to fill up 3 times then). They were touting petrol surcharges for 4x4's so why not discounts for bikes?

Krayy
12th April 2006, 21:08
Extend fines for riding with lack of protective gear (helmets) to include gloves, jacket and boots. See too many idiots riding Gixxer thous (or equiv) with t-shirt, shorts and no "glubs" on. Dickheads.

Ixion
12th April 2006, 21:12
Um, extend the motorway bus lane thing to motorway shoulders generally, becos they are actually only buslanes for a certain period each day. And include the new North Shore bus way thingy.

Hitcher
12th April 2006, 21:13
Rationalise ACC levies (rego costs are too dear).
Not only bring back the CBTA programme, but make it mandatory.
Introduce a power-to-weight ratio for learner-approved motorcycles -- like New South Wales has.
Get rid of the 10pm curfew for learners older than 25 years of age.
Introduce a punitive tax regime for SUVs. Or make power steering for them illegal.
Make vehicle emissions a mandatory part of the WOF.

surfchick
12th April 2006, 21:14
instead of signposting 'uneven surface' perminantly (coro hill's uber bump & east cape...) FIX THE ROADS PROPERLY.

dump the 70k & nightime riding restrictions

Big Dave
12th April 2006, 21:15
1) Build a tunnel over the rimutucka hill, and ban all cars from the hill road
2) Declare the wairarapa a seperate city state, with carterton as its capital. Then install mikey as governor via a bloody coup' and remove all speed limits
3) introduce flogging and the stockade as penalties for all people who state ''oh sorry, i didnt see you'' as an excuse for shite driving
4) wheelie and stoppie training as part of the basic handling test
5) bring back buck!

'I've got a little JOB for you, Brian.'

SlashWylde
12th April 2006, 21:17
Introduce a power-to-weight ratio for learner-approved motorcycles -- like New South Wales has.
Introduce a punitive tax regime for SUVs. Or make power steering for them illegal.

Actually, I second that

Krayy
12th April 2006, 21:20
Ditto on the power to weight ratio. And let it extend to learners cage drivers too.

Extend fines for riding with lack of protective gear (helmets) to include gloves, jacket and boots. See too many idiots riding Gixxer thous (or equiv) with t-shirt, shorts and no "glubs" on. Dickheads.

Sorry fella... gotta disagree with ya there...

I'd allow a reduction in any possible ACC payout based on the level of precautions that the rider themselves took... but not a fine if you don't wear bike boots law

Ixion
12th April 2006, 21:31
Agree with Mr Weasel. And disagree with Mr Hitcher about emissions . Unless they exempt two smokers.

Even then, we should be seeking less restrictions, not more. Don't go asking governemnt to restrict things, it sets a bad precedent. (today emission restrictions , tomorrow noise restrictions. 80dB anyone?)

Oh, and can the compulsary CBTA thing too, cos good though it was, you had to have had a cage licence for two years before you could sit for a bike licence. Completely wrong way round, we want people to have to get a bike licence first. If young ones have to have a cage licence for two years before they can move to a (gee whiz) 250cc bike, we'll get bugger all new bikers.

Marmoot
12th April 2006, 21:36
my issues?

Covered sexy breasts

Krayy
12th April 2006, 21:38
Sorry fella... gotta disagree with ya there...

I'd allow a reduction in any possible ACC payout based on the level of precautions that the rider themselves took... but not a fine if you don't wear bike boots law
Okay, I take back the boots, but jacket and glubs for sure.

oldrider
12th April 2006, 21:58
Most things that I can think of have been covered except for clearer and more frequent signage or coding of specific speed zones.( if they want to be so tough)
Currently it is very difficult in some places to know what speed you should be observing then suddenly you lose some of your spending money. Bastards!!

I also believe there are too many rules and laws unable to be policed effectively. (not a reflection on the Police)
Fewer laws severely policed (meaningfully) would give the Police a better rapport with motorists and less bullshit laws will give motorists greater personal responsibility to maintain safety on our roads. IE:mandatory 100kph is just ridiculous in some areas, I would drop that and just focus on dangerous driving "heavily". Speed alone is not the problem it's made out to be. IMO.
Good work big Dave. Cheers John.

parsley
12th April 2006, 22:45
Encourage use of 2 wheels over 4 - use of bus lanes on motorways, same or lower ACC levies, more (free) bike parking, government backing for bikes (ride to work day?)
More emphasis on safe driving. Police should crack down on tailgating, lack of indicating, aggressive driving towards bikers, etc.
Use speeding fines for their intended use - to stop speeding. Don't sit on speed changes and catch people who are a few seconds slow to generate revenue, use it to catch the dickheads who put everyone at risk.

Big Dave
12th April 2006, 22:45
my issues?

Covered sexy breasts

Feel free to go topless around me?

parsley
12th April 2006, 22:52
Covered sexy breasts
The key word here being sexy. We don't want any unsexy breasts being uncovered! Ugh...

White trash
12th April 2006, 22:58
My issue

There needs to be an entry level, no modification class in national level road racing.

"Big Dave for PM"

Big Dave
12th April 2006, 23:53
"Big Dave for PM"

Personal message...?!??

Marmoot
13th April 2006, 01:07
Feel free to go topless around me?

*ahem* I said 'breasts', not 'beasts'

Brian d marge
13th April 2006, 02:51
I agrre with ixon here ( the greenun )except for the bits in red ...
ACC: (1) why separate out bikes.One single vehicle pool, every vehicel pays the same
Cause bikes tend to be injury accidents and in a users pays ( someone voted for it ,,,) you chose to ride ,thats the cost , dont like it dont ride ...OR dont fall off...( ie ride defensively ) bit blunt but thats the facts.

(2) Levies based on licence holder not vehicle . If you own more than one vehicle (eg cage and bike) you pay full rego and ACC on each, even though only one used at a time.
Completely agree her , Nice try helen but thats revenue grabbing !

White paint on roads

At least use shell mix which is super grippy, I know you are on a tender , but sometimes price aint the be all and end all

Motorway bus lanes - bring Transit to heel

yup bikes are small and dont get in the way, rather the other way round....( except the danger of undertaking other vehicles ,,thats the only danger I can see about bus lanes

70kph limit and 250 cc limit (should be approved list or HP). Simpler easier intro for young folk. Make it easier to start on two wheels instead of 4.

except Hoodies , who should be made to work in a social responsible enviornment for at least five years

Police to police for driving behaviour instead of revenue gathering

Agreed, here in Japan I saw the police spring into action the second time in five years. the first was my speeding ticket , 4 years ago the second was last nite when a japanese hoodie , was driving up a one way street the wrong way ....completely ignoring the other road users ....

Lane splitting. Follow the UK rules.

wing mirrors are fair game in love and splitting

And what Mr Motu siad. Seriously. Too much money spent on making roads "easy" for brain dead idiots to drive on. Concentrate money on selected highways (for said idiots), don't spend money on back roads 9so they stay fun, for us)
Increased driver training on par with germany and repeated when you renew your ticket .....
That'll do to start with.

(Oh, and nationalisation of the means of production, finance, and distribution, with legislative control vested in workers' soviets. But that can wait till the mext meeting)

Sorry, works in theory but forgets mans greed. a basic flaw in all men ,

Stephen
I

SARGE
13th April 2006, 07:34
No rants - just 1 sentence or so please - what are the motorcyclists issues you want addressed by the Govt?

Mine are:

I don't fully understand the ACC levies injustice thing yet - someone may like to summarise that.

dc

roundabouts with decorative pea-gravel for the flowerbeds.. ( Dominion rd and Richarson rd) cars and busses cut the corner and scatter gravel everywhere..

also.. LOW SULFER DIESEL.. fix the problem already..

ACC Levys.. sort them out.. put everything on petrol.. make dirtbikes pay a levy.. watercraft also.. horses and rugby players too..

Fishy
13th April 2006, 09:00
Motorcycle speed discretion

Yep agree with this one!. Tickets for 61, 61 and 63kph (which I have had tickets for) in a 50k zone are just outright revenue collecting.

kiwifruit
13th April 2006, 09:04
Road engineering - Paint standards - Metal lids etc.

Raise speed limit for bikes to 200kph on open road.

+1

__________________________________________________ __________________

Sniper
13th April 2006, 09:10
Yep agree with this one!. Tickets for 61, 61 and 63kph (which I have had tickets for) in a 50k zone are just outright revenue collecting.

True, but Im thinking open road speeds where there are few cars, motorcycles can quite happily cruise at 120+kph cause they are built for speed. In built up areas I don't really expect it as there is more risk to the rider in hitting things.

MSTRS
13th April 2006, 09:12
My contribution....
Drop the 70kph on Learners
10pm extensions can be applied for, for work purposes (say)
Lift the open road speed limit to 120kph
Greater enforcement of inconsiderate driving (ie the 70-80kph drivers on the open road)
ACC levies go on fuel
Add 3rd party insurance levy to fuel (would fix a huge can of worms)
Add gloves, jacket to protective gear requirement
'Sandpaper' finish on all metal covers
True non-slip paint markings
All air hoses at servos to be bike friendly
More later if I can think of any.....

Squeak the Rat
13th April 2006, 09:43
Most have been done:

Low sulphur diesel! (good point Sarge, there are almost as many deaths by vehicle emission pollution than crashes but what's done about it? Nothing. Why? It generates no revenue!)
Validation of motorcycling as an accepted form of transport
Campaigns to educate motorists
Rebates/discounts for taxes used for roading, congestion etc due to lower impact of motorcycles
Road design
Direct access for new riders over 25 (1 week course on 500cc = full licence)
More granularity in ACC accident categories (what Frosty said)
More bike specific parking
Low-slip road paint
Specifically allow lane splitting (ie. don't ask for clarification)
Reduced ACC levies for two vehicles

The_Dover
13th April 2006, 09:57
horses and rugby players too..

I think you will find that the clubs pay a fairly hefty ACC levy which covers any teams they field in a competition.

Whacking ACC levies on a bunch of bros having a kick around in the park ain't gonna work.

SARGE
13th April 2006, 10:08
I think you will find that the clubs pay a fairly hefty ACC levy which covers any teams they field in a competition.

Whacking ACC levies on a bunch of bros having a kick around in the park ain't gonna work.

well neither is whacking it on a bunch of bikes gonna work.. why not just have everyone fill out a questionairre detailing your danger-rating..

$55 per year per dangerous thing you do.. driving , golf, swimming in a public pool would be a few of those..

riding a motorcycle, surfing, horseback riding, sports, and tramping are $100 each per year..(each)

skydiving and talking back to the wife are $200 a year... each

user pays..

Oscar
13th April 2006, 10:11

Mine are:

dc

Motorcyclist Graters:
Lane dividers made out of steel cable.

James Deuce
13th April 2006, 10:45
Compulsory enforced training and periodic license renewals for motorcyclists. Each license renewal requires passing a written and practical test.

Ixion
13th April 2006, 10:58

Nope. Not unless they are professionals. This urban myth keeps getting trooted out. It is completely false.

There are only four ACC accounts. All ACC payments come from one of those accounts.

Motor vehicles - funded through fuel tax and levy at rego time. Covers motor vehicle injuries (including off road ones) .

Earners, funded through a deduction from wages - as part of PAYE. Covers non-motor vehicle, non-job accidents for people in employment.

Employers, they pay it as part of their tax also, based on payroll and industry type. Covers job injuries to workers

And general , funded by the government directly, from general taxation (covers non-work, non-vehicle accidents for people who are not in employment).

Sports clubs do not pay any ACC levy, apart from what they may pay as employers, if they employ people . (They may be GST registered, but that quite different)

Ixion
13th April 2006, 11:01
10pm extensions can be applied for, for work purposes (say)

You already can. Exemption form at any LTSA agent. Not automatic, though , and like a work licence for disqualified, only covers specific journey.

TwoSeven
13th April 2006, 11:05
So I think they should put all licences up to a minimum age of 21, bring out graduated licences (12kw 125 being a starter) for both cars and bikes. Make the test as hard as the basic instructor license in the UK, and then make them sit renewals every 5-10 years. The test should also have a psychology componant that removes nervous, indecisive and agressive drivers.

The use of foreign licenses should also be reduced down to 3 months with a basic test given for an extension.

I dont think it should be a right to drive, I think one should have to prove capability before being let loose on the road.

Marmoot
13th April 2006, 11:08
Fresh from the oven: Please address the motorcycle issue regarding that f**ken so-called Auckland Congestion charges.

I'm not prepared to pay $1000 per year extra for my 'congestion-causing" motorcycle (heh? :wacko:) when I don't even get a payrise, petrol tax is increasing, and the whole petrol price cost me an arm and a leg.

Don't we have enough tax already? :angry2:

Direct access for new riders over 25 (1 week course on 500cc = full licence)

You guys not have this over here already?

This is exactly what I did in the UK to get my full license, but it's anyone over 21.

1 week intensive course, 7/8 hours riding with an instructor per day, full test at the end, whammo, full license.

riffer
13th April 2006, 11:47
Another thing for consideration.

On the Wellington Motorway they have replaced the armco on the waterfront side.

Now this new armco is at a much greater height than the previous armco, and there's a good 2-3 foot gap between the armco and the road. A bike could easily go through if its on its side.

There should be a standard (in parts of Europe there is) for the maximum space between armco and the road.

I agree with Jim2 in principle with the greater testing of motorcycle licencees, but I will add that I would like to see this done to car licences too.

And car licences should be graduated - power to weight ratio or even CC rating should be limiting factors. Say for example:

Licence Level 1: Learner. Same conditions as now but limit cc rating to 1600cc no turbo.

Licence Level 2: Restricted. Same conditions as now but limit cc rating to 2000cc no turbo.

Licence Level 3. Competent Driver. Allow up to 4000cc no turbo (ie 6 cylinder cars).

Licence Level 4. Advanced Driver. Requires combination Defensive Driving Course, plus Advanced Driver Training at Track Days or for example Holden Advanced Driver Training courses. No cc limit, or restriction on turbocharging. No horsepower limit.

Paul in NZ
13th April 2006, 13:02
I'd like the ACC / Rego thing dropped for my second bike. I can only ride one at a time!

I'd like a sliding scale for older bikes rego. A 25 year old Moto Guzzi is really only a hobby (a very nice one)

Big Dave
13th April 2006, 13:10
try and leave the subjuctive taste calls out please paul :bleh:

But that's all I want in terms of response - thanks.

Team:
as i'm/we're going to try and make some sort of statistical ideas out of the responses here - would you please start another thread to debate the issues.

I just want to see what the issues you identify are in this one and the water is getting a bit muddy.

thanks
dc

cowpoos
13th April 2006, 14:52
Nope. Not unless they are professionals. This urban myth keeps getting trooted out. It is completely false.

There are only four ACC accounts. All ACC payments come from one of those accounts.

Motor vehicles - funded through fuel tax and levy at rego time. Covers motor vehicle injuries (including off road ones) .

Earners, funded through a deduction from wages - as part of PAYE. Covers non-motor vehicle, non-job accidents for people in employment.

Employers, they pay it as part of their tax also, based on payroll and industry type. Covers job injuries to workers

And general , funded by the government directly, from general taxation (covers non-work, non-vehicle accidents for people who are not in employment).

Sports clubs do not pay any ACC levy, apart from what they may pay as employers, if they employ people . (They may be GST registered, but that quite different)
ACC made a 801 million dollar profit last year....that is not cool!! and yet ACC rates continue to go up....its just another labour government tax...

privatise the industry again...make it so you have to pay your own insurance...and bring competition into the market place...

Str8 Jacket
13th April 2006, 15:07
I think that there is a strong need to emphasize the dangers of both cage drivers AND motorcyclists crossing the centre lane.
I think more money should be put into campaining against it. IMO anyway...

The Stranger
13th April 2006, 16:30
ACC made a 801 million dollar profit last year....that is not cool!! and yet ACC rates continue to go up....its just another labour government tax...

privatise the industry again...make it so you have to pay your own insurance...and bring competition into the market place...

ACC rates on motor vehicles came down this year on account of the profit last year.

stanko
13th April 2006, 18:49
Should employ hundreds of gay cops to give drivers caught texting while driving a public rogering over the boot of their cars!

Free Castrol TTS to help reduce visible emmisions from my 2 strokes (public health issues you know)

raster
13th April 2006, 19:27
Full access to bus lanes.
Lane splitting to set rules(as UK)
Concentration on drivers skill not speed, fines to pay for driver training.

Gremlin
13th April 2006, 20:20
holy hell... so many issues, can't even think of them all of the top of ya head.

I'll go with this:

Full access to bus lanes.
Lane splitting to set rules(as UK)
Concentration on drivers skill not speed, fines to pay for driver training.
but also, generally, thinking about us when putting in laws, they think of us as evil, yet we help traffic etc etc. Of course, on the flip side, thinking of us could be a negative thing. Thinking of us covers items such as:
- paint for road markings
- traffic light sensors
- manholes one after each other in the middle of corners
- gravel on roads - from poor design

without admitting to anything, no restrictions on splitting either... none of this certain speeds etc etc.

El Dopa
13th April 2006, 20:24
Compulsory enforced training and periodic license renewals for motorcyclists. Each license renewal requires passing a written and practical test.

...And all other road users except cyclists.

120 km/h speed limit on the open road where appropriate (e.g. motorways).

Motorbikes alloed to use bus lanes on the motorway.

El Dopa
13th April 2006, 20:28
Exemption from the proposed Auckland conjection charge. Let's nip that particular bastard in the bud.

bugjuice
13th April 2006, 20:34
wot evry1 else said
there's only so many times you can say the same thing

Sketchy_Racer
13th April 2006, 20:44
Make all car drivers do a copulsory 'basic handling skills course' rather than have the olds in the passenger seat showing them how NOT to drive!!, before they can do their scratch and win.

Make the Scratch and win a fair price

$80 is not fair IMO.

70kph rule,

Power to weight ratios for learners and resticted.

Keep L plates, they do actually do good

cowpoos
13th April 2006, 20:55
ACC rates on motor vehicles came down this year on account of the profit last year.
farm accidents went down too...our rates increased... interesting....hmm

Mr Skid
13th April 2006, 21:07
Ban open face helmets
Licence bicycle riders.

Big Dave
13th April 2006, 22:54
wot evry1 else said
there's only so many times you can say the same thing

Not in a survey.

Nicksta
13th April 2006, 23:04
- Drop the 70km/hr rule on L plate
- Incentive to ride vs traffic congestion, ie. toll m/ways for cars, free to bikes
- Bikes can use m/way bus lanes
- Reduced tax on petrol for bikes (bike rate at pump like for 91/96 or "bike fuel card" = cheaper rate)
- Restriction of HP or engine capacity for cages on L and R licence like us.

WINJA
13th April 2006, 23:11
120kmp/h Speed Limit on open roads.

WHY? YOUR HEAP OF SHIT CANT EVEN DO THE CURRENT SPEED LIMIT, SEEMS A BIT OF A NON ISSUE FOR YOU

Goblin
13th April 2006, 23:12
I'd like the open road speed limit for larger bikes and experienced riders to be 120km/h:yes:

:Oops: try reading the thread first:dodge:

SwanTiger
13th April 2006, 23:14
WHY? YOUR HEAP OF SHIT CANT EVEN DO THE CURRENT SPEED LIMIT, SEEMS A BIT OF A NON ISSUE FOR YOU

160kmp/h top speed on the flat, well it was 163kmp/h however I have gone faster down hill. It is a great bike for what it is.

You are incorrect old timer, and your insults are getting worse.

Motu
13th April 2006, 23:15
I must be apathetic,I have no problems about riding my bike,it's all good I reckon.I stay away from the real world these days though,you guys can deal with traffic.I did have some serious concern about rider training once,but seem to have forgotten what got me so fired up....enough to start instructor training anyway.

As a multiple vehicle owner I'm not happy about paying rego on vehicles I may use only a few times a year...tax the owner,not the vehicle.And while I'm reluctantly willing to accept that motorcycles may carry some extra ACC claims,I'm not happy we pay so much and other sports don't.Like horse riders,after the contact ball sports horse riders make the most ACC claims,they need to pay their way as much as us.

metric
13th April 2006, 23:19
prob been posted, but use of the median flush strips for motorbikes would be beneficial... I received a $150 fine for it which I'd eventually like refunded ;)

SixPackBack
14th April 2006, 07:40
Sack the Transit Board and privatise road construction/maintenance......Transit couldn't organise a hand job at Flora's.

Colapop
14th April 2006, 07:43
Introduce the same lisence restrictions that bikers have to car drivers (obviously change the cc restriction to something like 1200cc or summat)

James Deuce
14th April 2006, 14:11
Bring back CBTA

Marmoot
14th April 2006, 14:22
+1 on Bikes to use Motorway Bus Lanes

Highlander
14th April 2006, 14:31

I got two cages I am not allowed near (unless the fuel warning light is on or they need washing :brick: ) and a bike, so pay three fees. Pay by the Km would probably be the fairest split that covers actual usage regardless of it being a daily drive or sunny Sunday arvo blat (more use = higher fee). Don't know how you'd wrap the off roaders up in that though.

Otherwise, get rid of the 70 Km thing being forced to travel slower than the rest of traffic when you are already vulnerable (sp?) is dangerous.
Trucks have a lower open road limit 'coz of their size, how about a higher limit for bikes? :clap:

Jantar
14th April 2006, 14:38
.... Pay by the Km would probably be the fairest split that covers actual usage regardless of it being a daily drive or sunny Sunday arvo blat (more use = higher fee). Don't know how you'd wrap the off roaders up in that though.

Simple solution. Charge ACC levies as a surcharge on fuel purchases. More fuel = greater distance travelled (or less fuel efficient vehicle, so make the bastards pay anyway). :devil2:

Highlander
14th April 2006, 14:40
Simple solution. Charge ACC levies as a surcharge on fuel purchases. More fuel = greater distance travelled (or less fuel efficient vehicle, so make the bastards pay anyway). :devil2:

Works for me.

Wondered if you were working today - we must be on the same shifts.

WINJA
14th April 2006, 14:43
i think rego's should only be $10 a year and petrol and diesel should be 15 cents a litre more instead.
it would be better for people who may only do 1000km and worse for me who does about 1000km a week but its still fairer , also when rich fuck boatys fill up they can then contribute to acc , same with people using powered machinery of any kind.
i hate everyone fuck you all

gunnyrob
14th April 2006, 14:47
I agree with Jantar. ACC should be charged thru fuel use. Make those with fuel ineffceint vehicles rethink things.

other issues:

No tolls or congestion charges for bikes
More free parks for bikes
No cheese cutters
Let us use bus lanes

Highlander
14th April 2006, 14:49
I agree with Jantar. ACC should be charged thru fuel use. Make those with fuel ineffceint vehicles rethink things.

other issues:

No tolls or congestion charges for bikes
More free parks for bikes
No cheese cutters
Let us use bus lanes

Just park on the foot path like they do in Melbourne.

Fluffy Cat
14th April 2006, 15:31
ACC crap, why do i have to pay for all my bikes when i can only ride one at a time. Money grabbers.

kevie
14th April 2006, 22:56
did anyone pick up on the latest census >> on the paper for teh dwelling it asked "vehicles at your disposal" EXCLUDING MOTORCYCLES

yet >>>>>> in the personal one it asked how you travelled to work on that Tuesday and one of the options was motorcycle.

One paper they dont aknowledge them and other they do.

kevie
14th April 2006, 23:05
I agree re ACC too, They penalize us for riding bikes, when around 80% of motorcycle accidents arent the motorcyclists fault, and many of the bike riders that are injured are on unregistered bikes EG: farmbikes and MX/scramblers beach hoppers and those that register pay for them.

When I was an ambo and used to attend them and on the ACC form it asked "was a motor vehicle involved? ...YES
Location of accident :street: <enter street address> many times this portrayed and gave impression the accident was a RTA (road traffic accident) when in fact it wasnt... automatically ACC slaps it onto our rego.
My Recomended solution is that they request rego # of vehicle so they can check it was registered or wether it was an offroader.

Skyryder
16th April 2006, 20:13
I've just skimmeded the posts so I may have missed this.

For me the most serious issue for bikers is the instant loss of licence at roadside. Everything else pales in signifcance. There once was a time if you were stranded on the road the police would assist you. Not now. The Police now have the power to leave you there. This one piece of legislation is what defines the way we were and the way we are. We need to get some values back into our country.

There should be a mandatory period of say 24 hours before you need to hand you licence over. This would enable time to get home and not be left stranded on the road.

Skyryder

Shadows
17th April 2006, 21:21
Discontinue use of plain tar seal from intersections, braking areas, roundabouts etc. and replace this with chip seal like the rest of the road. Stupid tight arsed penny pinching idea that was.

"Gripperise" manhole covers etc.

Mandatory use of non slip paint.

More regular and thorough road surface inspections.

More focus on timely completion of roading projects.

Remove cheese cutters.

Remove obstacles from road edges to create a buffer zone if things go pear shaped.

Remove 70km speed restriction for learners.

Disallow tinted rear windows or anything else which obscures clear sight through from the rear of a vehicle out that vehicle's windscreen for the vehicle following.

Come down more heavily on fuckwit behaviour rather than concentrating on speeding alone.

Mandatory defensive driving / advanced vehicle handling course (read - skid pad etc.) as part of licensing process for new drivers.

Enforce "left lane unless passing" rule.

Enforce "impeding traffic flow" rule.

Enforce "give way" rules

Enforce "careless driving" rules re cellphone use etc.

Ban the reversing out of drive ways onto the road.

Enforce the use of indicators.

Banning the use of temporary speed limit signs for the sake of a road cone or two on the shoulder, provided the road is clear people should be able to remain in their lane and maintain a reasonable speed. Mandatory removal of such signs when road is clear and work is not proceeding such as on weekends or after hours.

Increase some area speed limits to 120km.

International drivers to pass test in basic English and satisfactorily pass scratchy test before being allowed to drive.

Fire the current roading engineers and hire some people with brain cells, preferably people with experience in race track design.

All SUVs to fail warrant of fitness inspection if vehicle has no bush marks or dents in belly pan. Childseat or evidence of woman driver = automatic failure.

terbang
17th April 2006, 21:27
Better Training

beyond
17th April 2006, 22:41
The use of the Shoulder on the motorways, when in peak traffic and up to a certain speed limit. Reduces the danger of filtering and encourages the use of motorbikes for commuting.

brianemone
19th April 2006, 15:21
i think the graduate system on motorbikes should also increase the size of bike you can ride on your restricted to perhaps 400cc

Pixie
24th April 2006, 10:23
This lump behind my ear,that just gets bigger,day by day...

Pixie
24th April 2006, 10:24
Exemption from the proposed Auckland conjection charge. Let's nip that particular bastard in the bud.
That charge is purely conjecture.

Big Dave
24th April 2006, 14:15
The Big Dave Files 1

I’m not sure whether I should feel daunted or not. It all started when I asked a question online: Who represents motorcyclist’s interests to the Government?

Good question it turns out. I started to dig a bit further – I wanted to know how decisions were made and laws are passed that effect my tax-paying safety and wellbeing. Particularly in matters concerning the highways and the byways. And of course what can I do to swing the pendulum a bit in motorcyclists favour?

Best I can find so far is it seems ACC has a consultative group, but nobody has been able to tell me how to contact them.

I want to tell someone I reckon we deserve a break – I only ever travel by motorcycle and contribute very little to the pollution and congestion around Auckland. I consume far fewer resources, yet I don’t seem to get any advantage over mum’s 3 tonnes of black-smoke-belching-Remuera Taxi as it drifts over two lanes of motorway in a text messaging frenzy.

Surely common sense isn’t at work when there are bikes riding up the middle of lines of traffic on virtually stationary motorways whilst the designated bus lanes remain practically empty.

Doesn’t the victory in the courts of the Wellington man who took Tararua Council to court - over the very same improperly signposted road works that came within a coat of paint of having me and ‘The Barron’ collide - set a precedent for all of us.

Who do I tell I wanted to know?

‘Different departments control the motorway.’ and ‘Emergency vehicle use’ were some answers I got back - but there must be someone I can appeal to, and through?

We have the MRA back home and there is an active group in the UK too. So I had a bit of a look at how they operate and set off to my first Wednesday night BRONZ meeting armed with a Utopian vision - and their last column in KR by way of research.

I did look it up just to make sure I had the right definition.

‘Utopian, in its most common and general positive meaning, refers to the human efforts to create a better, or perhaps perfect society. Ideas which could/are considered able to radically change our world are often called utopian ideas.

"Utopian" in a negative meaning is used to discredit ideas as too advanced, too optimistic or unrealistic, impossible to realize. Hence, for example, the use by Marxists, of such expressions as "utopian socialism".

Now I’ve always been more likely to quote Marx, Groucho than Marx, Karl, but my utopian vision was of a 'motorcycle lobby'.

A unit headed by a self-funding professional advocate, lobbying the govt and its minions on my behalf.

Making appropriate submissions in the interest of motorcyclists on matters like traffic laws, road construction, loose seal, cell phone safety, etcetera - under a collective banner representing all riders and interested parties.

What I met at the AKL BRONZ was half a dozen enthusiastic and diligent souls doing some great work in rider training and charity work.

For their small numbers, they have achieved some 'statutory' results too. But pretty much they are a few swimming against the tide.

Their positive results in influencing policy over (INSERT WHAT POLICY) took me back to Utopia – What if the funding and grants that ACC, LTNZ etc put out to tender for submissions was being chased by someone who represented motorcyclists interests?

I bet the AA, the big construction companies, Dept of Works, ACC and all the other interested parties have someone on the payroll.

Unfortunately the reality is a small contingent of under-resourced enthusiasts lurching between submission deadlines and commendably picking up what they can. Their efforts are above reproach - the fact that there is so few of them is not.

So I joined. Help 'em out with a bit of PR and design work. I knows some folks that knows some folks...and out went the emails under the title: ‘The power of the press and what is he doing wielding it?

Some of the replies that bounced back were incredible.

There are motorcyclists in high places that want issues of funding, ACC levies, road safety and ‘the system’ addressed.

I met a man, his minder and had a conversation to make Woodward, Bernstein and Deep Throat proud.

I’ll call him ‘Waterbike’.

I was handed a folder, a list of people to talk to and the keys to a Pandora’s box of statistical information about motorcycling. Welcome to the ‘Big Dave Files’.

According to the plan I’ll be putting my Kiwi Rider hat on and knocking on a few doors at ACC, LTNZ and the Beehive armed with the questions that KR readers want answered.

To start I invited www.kiwibiker.co.nz members to nominate ‘Their Issues’ and where they feel the government is getting it wrong.

The most frequently voiced concerns were ‘ACC Levies’ followed by ‘Motorway speed limits for restricted riders’.

So I went to my second BRONZ meeting and tabled 2 items for inclusion on the agenda for the upcoming National Meeting.

What I hope will happen now is that BRONZ executive will formulate a response, a position statement, and a recommended call to action.

This will tell ordinary bikers who to write to and the words to say.

We’ll send it out for distribution as a press release and spread it around as much of the media and electronic mediums as we can - and hopefully have the first part of a mechanism in place.

We’ll have data downloadable from the BRONZ website.

From there, ‘rank and file’ motorcyclist can pick up and petition the ministers and govt departments involved with a unified ‘make ‘em nervous’ voice.

Even copy and paste emails will have some effect. To that end I asked ‘Waterbike’ about form letters.

At a low key secret meeting on Princes Wharf he negated the notion ‘that a form letter is not as effective as a hand written note to the halls of power. Enough well written form letters will make people nervous, and that’s what you want.’

While not exactly what I want, it sounds like a pretty good start.

Next edition we’ll publish some very interesting stats and start to pull apart some of the issues. We’ll also set up an email link so that KR readers can forward the hard questions they would like asked of the powers that be.

‘Waterbike’ is out there. Some of his info will make you want to do something.

In the meantime – see if you can find the time to attend a BRONZ meeting.
The power of many and just maybe we can make a difference.

Happy daze!
BD.

Ixion
24th April 2006, 14:20
Go Big Dave. But remember I have first dibs when it comes time to blow things up.

BTW, there were only two of us there from KB (as far as I know ) . Where wuz youz all? Letz have LOTZ of KB presence at the next one. And preferably some bolshie folk . Mr WINJA, where wuz you, right up your alley.

Big Dave
24th April 2006, 14:30

Nice - I'll remember to pay it in theory.

Hitcher
24th April 2006, 16:01
Good on you Dave for sticking it to The Man.

PS: And shouldn't he be "Deepbike" instead of "Waterbike"?

ManDownUnder
24th April 2006, 16:07
Now this is one I'm going to watch with interest...

Good onya Dave
MDU

El Dopa
24th April 2006, 20:08

So let's get behind Dave, kick up a fuss, and make sure it stays that way, for bikes at least.

mdb
24th April 2006, 20:49
- Splitting/filtering (it should be legal within some reasonable limits)
- Yellow line shouldn't apply to bikes (maybe double yellows could)
- Tax credits for using in peak times (ie reducing congestion)
- Compulsory FREE parking anywhere for bikes (except private property)
- ACC levies (how about just making it fair)
- Incentives to get people riding (that should increase awareness which should increase safety for those of us on 2 bikes).

Big Dave
24th April 2006, 21:22
So let's get behind Dave, kick up a fuss, and make sure it stays that way, for bikes at least.

Thank you - and I know what you mean - but you know, i don't want people to get behind *me*, I appreciate the support and encouragement - but I'm just the messenger and an entertainer.

The clubs, groups and established organisations like BRONZ are who we should get behind.

It just needs lots of people to do a little bit.

Bangbug
25th April 2006, 00:50
Paint + wet == suck (a change or just reposition in some area's would be nice, pedestrian crossings on corners?)
Lane splitting is illegal? News to me......... change that too then :P
You can't use motorway bus lanes? Man, i'm behind on the times..... change that too.
Make me Minister of Development and Big Dave Dictator :stupid:
On ya dave :drinkup:

Bangbug
25th April 2006, 00:55
How can lane splitting be illegal?
You can legally pass on a double yellow as long as you indicate you are overtaking and do not pass over the double yellow lines????
Gud luck mr plod catching someone who is lanesplitting to begin with (traffic and all) but still.
I'm sure you could quote that bit of the road code to them. just remember to indicate. (a reasonable distance away from the car you are passing would be exactly between either one........ that would be reasonable...... to me...... what do you think mr :Police: ):ride: look at the time...... oh dear. nite nite

Big Dave
25th April 2006, 01:02
PS: And shouldn't he be "Deepbike" instead of "Waterbike"?

Yes - good call.

inlinefour
25th April 2006, 01:59
ACC, what about the % of accidents cause by a slackarsed cager. They fecked up so the accident should come under their statistics. Also the category bikes come into and all the other dangerous shyte with motorcycles. Fark, they tell me those kiddies push scooters are ACC's biggect nightmare!:eek:

Korea
25th April 2006, 03:22
Compulsory spelling and grammar testing for KBers!
Oh alright then, just learn to make the destinction between "your" and "you're" - Take a stand against ignorance today! :stupid:
Please...?

Jantar
25th April 2006, 05:05
Compulsory spelling and grammar testing for KBers!
Oh alright then, just learn to make the destinction between "your" and "you're" - Take a stand against ignorance today! :stupid:
Please...?

Great idea... Now write out 50 times "distinction". :killingme

Korea
25th April 2006, 12:48
Great idea... Now write out 50 times "distinction". :killingme
Oh Bugger...
I would edit the previous post, but I deserve this. :doh:

Hitcher
25th April 2006, 15:50
Oh alright then, just learn to make the destinction between "your" and "you're" - Take a stand against ignorance today!
"Don't call us, we'll call you." [From the BDOTGNZA].

Rosie
26th April 2006, 12:54
The most frequently voiced concerns were ‘ACC Levies’ followed by ‘Motorway speed limits for restricted riders’.

Restricted riders, or Learner riders?

Ixion
26th April 2006, 13:43
Mr Big Dave meant Learners. Restricted has no special speed limit.

rasty
26th April 2006, 19:50
Use MW bus lanes

Policing of driving not just speed

No policing of old guys on red bikes.

That covers it.

35tickets
26th April 2006, 21:01
Fuckin cheese graters - get rid off them (the person who thought they were a great idea should be flogged with his/her mouse cable):bash:
ACC levies - look at biking experience instead of ringing everyone dry with over the top/all in the same catagory/ policies (insurance the same principle)
Better use of catseyes on the Desert Road (farkin scary on a dark winter night with high winds, fog, and heavy rain)
Instant towaways/wheel clamps for wankers who park in the bike only parks:nono:

I could go on.....but why invent the wheel, pretty much its all been said in the forum these are my main issues

Big Dave
26th April 2006, 21:06
Mr Big Dave meant Learners. Restricted has no special speed limit.

You only have to hear me say 'chance' and you know i still speak in Australian.

Hitcher
26th April 2006, 21:14
You only have to hear me say 'chance' and you know i still speak in Australian.
Hows about "pool" and "sensitive"?

Big Dave
27th April 2006, 13:58
Hows about "pool" and "sensitive"?

Not as bad as 'six' and 'chips'.

Felicks
27th April 2006, 20:48
What about this for an idea?

My suggestion: allow full m/c licence holders to purchase a special licence for a particular time period which would allow them to exceed the open road speed limit say up to 140km/h, on selected roads that a commonly used for m/c touring etc.

The licence wouldn't be a defence to idiot driving - just speeding.

I reckon it'd be an excellent way to bring in some extra money (the Govt always want that) from locals and tourists alike. I believe NZ is seen as a m/c meca from overseas and that a lot of people would be keen to take it up.

Hell, I would pay a few extra $$ for a legal thrill.

Ulaa
2nd May 2006, 14:51
Hi Guys, first time poster, long time lurker.

From the point of view of someone who has started to Commute from West Auckland to the City and back every day (about a 35 minute ride one way) my issues are:

Without making up special rules for us and them:

1. I would like to see ALL the existing road rules actually being enforced.
EG the 3 second indication rule. I am so sick of having the guy already in my lane with a single flick of his light or simply no indication at all. This is going to involve bringing back traffic cops (and I never thought I would say that) or more cops on the roads, the driving in Auckland has moved beyond appalling and is now downright lethal.

2. I want people who chop and change lanes so they can get 3 seconds ahead of the other guy prosecuted for dangerous driving.

3. I want Amber /Red light runners to lose their licences on the spot. I saw a 20 ton truck run a red light opposite MOTAT, if the lady in front of me had been 1 second faster off the green change she would be dead.

4. I want every contractor who has ever repaired a road in the Greater Auckland area shot on the spot. I can point at 3 roads right now where only days after the "repairs" the road is already cracking. There are sections of Auckland streets that are downright lethal. The street that runs down next to the CBD police station is a good example. 20 years of bad road patching has left it an awful potted and rutted mess.

5. I would like the 70KMH for learners licences lifted and made the same as the standard road rules. As someone who can never break the law cause I ALWAYS get caught, keeping under 70kmh on some roads is downright dangerous as everyone is speeding up to pass me.

6. I want learner drivers limited in the power of the vehicles they can drive in exactly the same way as bikers are.
1.5 years limited to MAX 1300CC

7. I want taxi drivers, truck drivers, courier drivers and anyone who spends most of their working lives driving, re-tested every two years. Those guys generally get very arrogant and contemptuous of every one else on the road and become dangerous because of it.

8. I want "How to ride" motorcycle courses available in every major city. Not just exercises in 'scratch and sniff' test passing, but active training where cyclists are taught cornering, safe lane positioning etc, the basics of being on the road.

9. I want motorcyclists exempted from the proposed Auckland congestion charging system, as if the bastards havent taken enough money out of my pocket for work they havent done on the roading infrastructure in the last 20 years.

XP@
2nd May 2006, 14:53
General inattention & crap driving should be punnished. Aye, give the cops video cameras (makes for good tv)

Speed cameras should be marked (unfair on visitors & tourists (on of my dads friends in the uk got sent a camera fine for doing 110 in a 100 zone when he was here on hols))

Raise the Learner limit from 70 to 100, or 90 with 10kph tolerance

Enforce ACC to fair-up and either:
1. make all vehicles the same
2. benefit more econimical vehicles
3. use fuel to collect the registration & acc levies.

MikeyG
2nd May 2006, 15:16
i think the graduate system on motorbikes should also increase the size of bike you can ride on your restricted to perhaps 400cc

I dunno. There are some powerful 250's and 400's out there. Something like the NSW LAMS scheme with a list of approved bikes under 650cc all having a weight and power to weight ratio limit would be better. Learners would be allowed a bike they are happy to keep for a few years without being alowed something too powerful like a RS250

froggyfrenchman
2nd May 2006, 15:45
It seems to have all been covered...
Put me down as another vote on:
White line paint
Power/weight restriction over the 250cc

I couldnt care less about motorways or Auckland's traffic problems. Thats a problem for a select few. You live there, your problem. Maby your issues can be fixed with the $6 its gonna cos you to ride across the bridge