PDA

View Full Version : Article from www.chicriders.com

Riff Raff
13th April 2006, 07:55
Yeah that’s right, we like to ride too!
By: Cheryl Hinchman

Picture this; You are on the freeway and this awesome motorcycle passes you. Of course you are on your bike and by instinct you follow. Well as you follow you see the rider in front of you makes the notion, they want to race. Well ok, of course. You love a challenge. Well you get up beside him and you start to speed up, he is pulling you hard and you can’t believe he is really beating you. Well he did it, he left you behind. So you catch up with him and follow him to a stop. You get off the bike and walk over to see what he is riding with. Well as you get close enough to see the R1 he takes off his helmet and to your surprise, IT’S A CHIC?!?! Your look of confusion amuses her. She just looks at you and says, “Silly boys, Bikes are for Girls.”

What is the definition of a Chic Rider? Well, to me a chic rider is someone who respects the bikes no matter if they have their own or just a passenger. They have passion to be on that bike every chance they can. The love of riding runs deep, I mean its in your soul. I know that there are a lot of chic riders out there do it for show and that can get you hurt. However, most of the girls I have had the honor of speaking with or meeting do it because they love the way it makes them feel. Of course the forum here on ChicRiders.com gives us girls a chance to meet other girls with the same passion. So I asked some of the girls a couple questions and asked them to tell me why they ride and how it makes them feel. User Ice_Maiden said, “The best thing about riding to me is the freedom it brings me. I can have the worst day at work or at home, put me on my bike and I forget all about it. The thrill of it all - the speed, the cornering, the hanging rotaries is what gets my blood pumping!!” This is what riding is all about. I love that feeling as well, and I know everyone (not just us chic riders) feel the same exact way. The part that is really great is when you have that helmet on and all you can hear is the sound of the exhaust, you know you have escaped the crappy world and you are now in your own.
“Riding motorbikes gives you a wonderful sense of freedom, a good dose of adrenalin and is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! I used to wear blokes one-piece leathers and it always gave me kick to blast past other riders, then watch their faces when I took my helmet off and they realized I was a girl. And riding is really good for the soul - you just can't stay in a bad mood when you're out riding.” this quote really emphasized my first paragraph, I mean really it makes you really feel something to see a guys face as he sees he was just passed my a chic!! This is not what its all about, but its defiantly a good laugh. She mentioned that she sport leathers and that brings up another great thing in the motorcycle world for us girls. Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, ICON and many other companies that make protective gear are realizing we are here to stay. They are coming up with great designs just for us girls. I love this concept and it really makes a statement on how far we have come in this sport.
I believe that the rise of women buying bikes will only increase every year. More and more woman are starting to ride their own bikes. I have seen a lot of women bike clubs. I know of a Women on Wheels (W.O.W.), club that has chapters all over the United States. Then we have the girls who race. There are so many girls out there that race and stunt. Drag racing, Stunt riding, super bike to motocross racing. The girls are really kicking some butt and getting recognized for their talents. We are finally getting recognized for more than just being on a bike half naked (or naked). Yeah we are hot, but we have skills to actually ride the bikes rather then just pose beside them. Don’t get me wrong, modeling with a bike is not wrong, but most guys think that is all we are around this sport to do. Think again!

Silly boys, Bikes are for girls!

by: Cheryl Hinchman ; Copyright April 2006.

White trash
13th April 2006, 08:16
Well that's just bullshit and we all know it. No fucken way ANY R1's getting past me.

SARGE
13th April 2006, 08:19
Well that's just bullshit and we all know it. No fucken way ANY R1's getting past me.

NOT AFTER I JAM A STICK IN THE WHEEL ANYWAY...:banana:

Riff Raff
13th April 2006, 08:23
After posting this article I got to thinking (yep it did hurt), but hasn't the motorcycle scene come a long way in New Zealand in the last 2 years? Perhaps it's because KB has become a much bigger community, but I feel women are really accepted now as motorcyclists. It's very rare now to hear of a chic biker being ignored or put down by other bikers. How do other girls feel? Is it still happening out there and I'm just one of the lucky ones who happen to hang round with all the good barstards?

Paul in NZ
13th April 2006, 08:56
I'm just one of the lucky ones who happen to hang round with all the good barstards?

Jeeze Riff you just destroyed any chance of a sensible reply!

Paul in NZ
13th April 2006, 09:00
It's very rare now to hear of a chic biker being ignored or put down by other bikers. How do other girls feel? Is it still happening out there ?

One thing you also need to consider.

Vicki is getting pissed off with ladies that do ride their own bikes giving her such a hard time about riding pillion with me. She has the means to buy a bike if she so desires and she knows I'd support her 100%. Just because she doesn't want to, doesn't make her some sort of inferior being for goodness sakes. I dunno, these days it's the women putting other women down I reckon.

Mental Trousers
13th April 2006, 09:02
I don't think that pasty white skinny fella you hang around with scares anyone so things probably have changed.

Riff Raff
13th April 2006, 09:51
Vicki is getting pissed off with ladies that do ride their own bikes giving her such a hard time about riding pillion with me. She has the means to buy a bike if she so desires and she knows I'd support her 100%. Just because she doesn't want to, doesn't make her some sort of inferior being for goodness sakes. I dunno, these days it's the women putting other women down I reckon.
I've noticed that happening a bit lately, and am probably guilty of being flippant with female pillions and asking when they're getting their own bike. I guess a lot of us have gone from being the pillion to riding our own bikes and want to encourage others to do the same. It's no reason to make another woman feel inferior though.

Paul in NZ
13th April 2006, 10:18
I've noticed that happening a bit lately, and am probably guilty of being flippant with female pillions and asking when they're getting their own bike. I guess a lot of us have gone from being the pillion to riding our own bikes and want to encourage others to do the same. It's no reason to make another woman feel inferior though.

Yeah, being old and ugly and riding a funny bike we feel bad enough as it is!

Keystone19
13th April 2006, 11:10
yeah, Paul makes a good point, I am also likely to encourage pillions to look at getting their own bikes. But to be honest, I really enjoy pillioning too. You get nearly the whole experience of riding but with the scenery thrown in - don't get a lot of time to look around when you're doing the riding! So, yeah, as much as we love the riding, it's actually pretty fun to pillion too.

Riff Raff
13th April 2006, 11:34
Yep I'd have to say I still enjoy being a pillion every now and then - of course if I'm on the back with White Trash, I'm hanging on for dear life while we're on one wheel, or almost getting my knee down as well on corners!

dss3
13th April 2006, 12:35
Soooo... let me see, there is this website right, and it is full of girls yeah, girls who are into bikes yeah. Hmm, this might be worth looking into!

Paul in NZ
13th April 2006, 12:46
It's not so much a fun of riding thing for us.

Its partly economic and mainly because while we have been together nearly 28 years, we still really like each others company. In our spare time, we want to be together. I guess thats pretty sick these days but the fact is we are still in love and I like to be able to reach down and grab her thigh and she likes to grab me too... I'd miss that!

buellbabe
13th April 2006, 13:02
I've been riding a long time and when i first got into it I didn't know ANY other chic riders. I was totally accepted by the blokes I met and have always found it to be that way. I think that may have had something to do with the fact that I was doing it on my own and was a true biker and NOT a biker mole, so the guys respected me... As for pillioning, hate having to do it and can count on 1 hand the number of times I have! However I have immense respect for people that DO cos it takes alotta skill to be a good pillion so good on ya!:2thumbsup
With regards to the posted article: my lust for motorcycling just keeps growing, its definately in my soul.
yeeeeee haaaaa!

Paul in NZ
13th April 2006, 13:16
Glad you are into it.

I'm not a real biker, never have been, never will be! I 'm more a fat old grump that like dodgy old bikes and tolerates gardening in love with a real nice lady that loves gardening and has learned to tolerate dodgy old bikes.

Str8 Jacket
13th April 2006, 13:29
While I really enjoy riding my own bike I have to admit that the 2000k's I spent on the back of my mans bike over the Xmas hols did my riding the world of good! Maybe it was because I was practically a newbie rider at the time, I dont know...
When I got back on my own bike afterward I found that I was leaning the bike over more and just generally alot more comfortable riding all together. I guess that you need to trust the rider when your a pillion for such a long distance, otherwise it makes it very hard to relax and enjoy the trip.

Since then I have been on a trackday and my ridings getting better and better. Simply put, I love riding! I love the feeling you get when you get that corner just right and when you come over a hill and the view is breathtaking! I love the fact that you smell the ocean and the grass, though that damn silage (sp?) leaves alot to be disired! I love that most other bikers you meet are friendly and usually easy to get on with.
In wellington we have a great bunch of people, both guy's and gals that are all really awesome people that encourage riding whether your a male or female and I have never come up against "gender discrimination". It excites me to see more and more females out riding, I think that everyone should give it a go at least once in their lifetime!

buellbabe
13th April 2006, 13:30
hmmm sometimes I wonder if the bike does kinda rule my life but I seem to be able to balance it with my love of dogs as well... but as for my property, er well, its been awhile since it got the same amount of attention! Next rainy wkend I keep saying... but then I decide that alittle bit of rain ain't that bad and well...
;-)

Mental Trousers
13th April 2006, 13:37
Soooo... let me see, there is this website right, and it is full of girls yeah, girls who are into bikes yeah. Hmm, this might be worth looking into!

Get in line buddy.

Rashika
13th April 2006, 14:59
hmmm sometimes I wonder if the bike does kinda rule my life but I seem to be able to balance it with my love of dogs as well... but as for my property, er well, its been awhile since it got the same amount of attention! Next rainy wkend I keep saying... but then I decide that alittle bit of rain ain't that bad and well...
;-)
Oh yeah I cant vouch for the last part :yes:
and probably a bit for the first part as well ;)

_Gina_
13th April 2006, 15:00
Awesome article Riff, and I take your point Paul, I have seen it and have been guilty of letting my love of riding and bikes overflow into asking when the female pillion is going to get her own bike.

I think women are accepted as motorcyclists in NZ. There will always be the element of people who are (dare I say it) old school. But you get that no matter what.

It is funny though, when I started Karting all the guys were cool as, congratulating me on having done really well when we pulled back into the pits after racing etc....As soon as I started winning - things changed, no more friendly banter back in the pits!!! You could almost sense their brains working overtime to try and figure out how they were going to kick my arse next time we raced.

Go chicrider! I will have to check the website out now.

Gg

Riff Raff
13th April 2006, 15:37
Go chicrider! I will have to check the website out now.

Gg
Yeah it's a good wee site - more of a focus on girls racing, dragging, stunting etc. They recently changed servers so the old forums got lost, but it's quickly building up again. Would be nice to have some more international riders join me on there.

surfchick
13th April 2006, 18:43
i never met any stranger who said it was wrong for me to be on a bike..get a few second glances but (but that might be cause i'm usually having a bad hair day...). I don't think there's any resistance out there at all. There's just not that many of us. Most people amble over for some banter...

I just can't wait till there's a sufficient tribe of us that there's proper girlie gear in stock in M/C shops and lots of it to choose from instead of bringing it in... it was only 10 years ago that in order to wear a hoodie or baggy jeans in the surf scene you had to nic your boyfriend's. NOT ANY MORE NOW WE GOT OUR OWN COOL STYLES.

APPLE
13th April 2006, 19:04
Riff?you could right a novel?well said,for me?i just like the way you chics look on a bike?....nice curves?:niceone:

sugilite
13th April 2006, 22:16
Chic riders have been around for quite some time, though there are certainly a lot more now days, and with the clothing manufacturers coming on board, it's all good!

One of the 1st woman bike riders I saw was riding a Kawasaki GPZ750, these were very big bikes (physically) and she was very petite, we came up to a set of lights I wondered how the heck she was going to get her feet on the ground.
This was her technique, she came to a stop, basicly let the bike fall on one side, would put her foot down and hold (save!) the bike up on an angle, then when the lights went to green, she pushed hard of said foot and as soon as the bike was upright she clutched it and was off. I saw her doing this 3 times through Upper Hutt on route to the taka's. Mondo RESPECT!

I agree pillions can learn quite alot about riding from the back.
I pillioned my then girlfriend/future wife for many 1000's of km's before I offered her a ride, so off to the deserted Westlake road, and I let her loose on the learners GSXR1100 :rofl:
I was on the back so it was a real role reversal, not to mention a real test of trust! She was a natural, by 4th gear, I was relaxed as on the back and we went for a nice 10 km jaunt. A few months later I got a lump sum payout from ACC (remember those?) and I bought her a brand spankers RG400.
I remember her 1st ride over the takas, we hooked up with another national level senior proddie racer on his GSXR1100 and his girlfriend who also raced on her RG500.
Well, she thrashed the racer even though she was on the smaller 400, and did not even raise a sweat doing it!
My chest swelled with pride, hell it was nearly as big as her chest, well OK, maybe not that big :rolleyes:

justsomeguy
13th April 2006, 22:25
After posting this article I got to thinking (yep it did hurt), but hasn't the motorcycle scene come a long way in New Zealand in the last 2 years? Perhaps it's because KB has become a much bigger community, but I feel women are really accepted now as motorcyclists. It's very rare now to hear of a chic biker being ignored or put down by other bikers. How do other girls feel? Is it still happening out there and I'm just one of the lucky ones who happen to hang round with all the good barstards?

I've never seen any such behaviour. Any one who thinks that way is a stupid, anarchic fool who doesn't belong in the 20th century.:spudgrr:

u4ea
13th April 2006, 22:35

paul,shes as much a motorcyclist as a rider in my veiw.i was a pillion for years before i got my first bike and in that time i was just as suseptable to the weather,animals running out in front of you,cars croossing centre line,false nuetrals etc. not to mention the trust involved!!the only difference being i wasnt in control.it is not for us to look down our noses because someone chooses not to take the reigns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goblin
14th April 2006, 13:53
It's great to hear more women are getting into riding but if somebody is quite happy being pillion then I dont see a problem with that. What I get sick of is people saying they'd love to learn to ride and that's all they do...Talk about it! If you're going to do it...get on with it & stop telling everyone you'd love to learn.

I had to teach myself to ride because everyone told me I was too little and girls dont ride motorbikes. First time on the Honda 50 & I kicked it over a few times til it started...clunked into first....throttle open and HANG ON! My first experience with target fixation and I ended up in the only blackberry bush on the whole fence:weep: We were lucky to have paddocks out the back and I had to beg to be allowed a ride. Over time I got the hang of it & was doing the steepest part of the paddock easily.

Got my bike licence at 15 and tried to join a local "Club" They declined me saying they only wanted members with 500cc or more...since I only had a 400 I told them to stick their club. I do still ride with them and even help advertise their rallies etc. but I will never join on principal.

The only person to ever tell me I shouldn't have been on a bike was the old c*nt who knocked me off & nearly killed me. He plead not guilty to careless use causing injury so it dragged on for months. All I really wanted was for him to accept he was in the wrong and was sorry he hurt me & my bike. He went on & on how he'd been an ambo driver for 50 years and never had a crash or had a ticket so it must have been my fault for being on a bike.:mad: Eventually he was convicted & disqualified for 6 months and 150 hrs community service. I took him to small claims to try & get him to pay for a new lid & repairs to my leathers and he was ordered to pay $1000 at $5 per week:angry2: Great help that was!

SDU
14th April 2006, 13:58
paul,shes as much a motorcyclist as a rider in my veiw.i was a pillion for years before i got my first bike and in that time i was just as suseptable to the weather,animals running out in front of you,cars croossing centre line,false nuetrals etc. not to mention the trust involved!!the only difference being i wasnt in control.it is not for us to look down our noses because someone chooses not to take the reigns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto that!
Pillions are motorcyclists with as much lust & thrill for the ride as the riders.
I spent years as a Koala before getting around to having my own road bike. I miss the speed & skill of lemans as I have not reached those skill levels. Funny how I still trust his riding over mine any day.
I do admit I ask if a pillion is riding or thinking off learning to ride, but only as encouragement & interest not meant as a put down.
Cheers
SDU

Paul in NZ
14th April 2006, 20:41
Folks, it's no biggies for us. We are just two wierdies were lucky enough to find each other and still like each other. Obtaining a bike license does not change who you are or who you love, nor should it.

Vicki did not like bikes at all when we met but she knew I loved them. She came with me a few times and had an average experience. We had kids and a life to get on with so the nice stuff had to go to buy us a house for our little family. $75 Suzukis don't make great 2 up bikes and I just used it to go to work on. Free honda 50's are even more humble but I never stopped dreaming of getting back on another classic!

The last step in renovating the house was the new carpet. $5,000 worth! Gulp! I was workin' my arse off and had the cash and we were down to a choice of 2 colours! As we took the last load of crap to the dump we passed Bland bros in ChCh ant the Trophy was sitting out the front at $4,995... I just mentioned that once I had the bills under control I was going to get one just like that and gave her the whole 9 yards on them...

Vicki drove back from the dump (unusual) and turned into the Brand bros yard - "Go buy it - we can save for the carpet anytime". Well she insisted, no I mean really dragged me in there!

Thats why I get upset about people giving her a hard time. For the first time in my life, someone gave up something they really really wanted just for me, and something as selfish as a bloody stupid old motorbike! Thats love! Its not subservience or anything, it was a selfless gift! A gift she does not even fully understand (riding etc etc) but the act was a heroic one and I still get the shivers when I look at that bike!

So for the last 20 years, we have been riding together, more now that the kids are older. We still have the Trophy and it's not going anyplace!

We are not bikers, we are not obsessed by motorcycling. First and foremost we are friends and lovers and obsessed with each other, we just happen to like old bikes!

Mental Trousers
14th April 2006, 20:52
I had to teach myself to ride because everyone told me I was too little and girls dont ride motorbikes.

There's a couple of things that are different for women which, on the face of it, seem like disadvantages but end up being an advantage. Women aren't as strong physically and aren't as aggressive as men. But that works in their favour as they have to learn to control the bike using correct technique rather than muscling the bike around. Women also tend to work with the bike rather than try and control it like guys do.

Rashika
15th April 2006, 09:48
I cant really say that I ever really got put down when on the bike, at least not usually by other bikers...occasionally by people NOT on bikes..usually the other bikers were so GOB smacked to see a female get off a bike, that i would always get the wisearse comment in first :laugh:
I DO think that having the net has made it easier to meet like minded women, and I think THAT is damn good. It gives us a good feeling of solidarity, not that we dont get some from the guys, but sometimes it is good to have females around who share your passion. I would not have meet most people i call friends now if I hadn't heard of KB.

I must admit at times I feel surprised at some female pillions...
Some are there cos they enjoy riding and are happy being a pillion, rather than the rider and I think that is superb!:spudflip: They do get almost as much from riding as the rider without quite the feeling of oh fuck if they fuck up a bit... I dont mind pillioning (altho that can be nerveracking too, esp when it is a family member) and being pillioned at times, sometimes it is nice to just relax, and trust your rider... and a nice cuddle if your are lucky that its your partner ;)
Some are there cos they think it is cool, and they will CATCH a bloke, and they look hot in sexy biker gear, but they only ever are on it when all the conditions are right, and only ever go to pose on the high streets...and THAT pisses me off. :spudgrr:
And some are there cos they would love to ride and just haven't quite got the nerve yet to do it... I guess those are the ones i try to hunt out and see if i can give then a wee boost of encouragement to do it.
Hopefully I dont fuck up and put people in the wrong category:doh: Usually i wait and see. I 'd say MOST pillions on KB are the first or third, altho i have seen a couple of the 2nd, but they dont tend to hang round cos they get bored with all the bike talk :laugh:

It's great to hear more women are getting into riding but if somebody is quite happy being pillion then I dont see a problem with that. What I get sick of is people saying they'd love to learn to ride and that's all they do...Talk about it! If you're going to do it...get on with it & stop telling everyone you'd love to learn.
yup ditto!

Qkchk
15th April 2006, 11:01
I've been riding a long time and when i first got into it I didn't know ANY other chic riders. I was totally accepted by the blokes I met and have always found it to be that way. I think that may have had something to do with the fact that I was doing it on my own and was a true biker and NOT a biker mole, so the guys respected me...

Makes two of us. When I first started riding, (about 12 years ago...) I was the only female in my town (pop. 5000+) who was on a bike. Used to get ALOT of looks from guys and the 'wow shouldnt you doin knitting' bullshit. Bit different in Auckland, people seems to be more stuck-up and ignore things around them. But there certainly is more biker babes out there now than ever before!

Rossi Gal
15th April 2006, 11:23

tis not happening to me!! they too scared to hassle me lmao :) no but i do agree, just in the few years iv been on two wheels the attitude from others have improved greatly! keep it up boys ;)

Rossi Gal
15th April 2006, 11:27

haha its a great site, but if you're a dude..watch out hehe some dont take too kindly, or you may not like what ya hear ;)

Nicksta
15th April 2006, 20:41
I haven't really had problems riding... my family dont like it.. but dont stop me...
I love to pillion... but also love to ride.... so get a lot of enjoyment out of both.... i see no problem with either....
just get out there and do it i say...

klingon
16th April 2006, 16:23
Folks, it's no biggies for us. We are just two wierdies were lucky enough to find each other and still like each other. Obtaining a bike license does not change who you are or who you love, nor should it.
We are not bikers, we are not obsessed by motorcycling. First and foremost we are friends and lovers and obsessed with each other, we just happen to like old bikes!

Aaaaaawwww! Paul I just fell in love with you AND your Vicki! Congratulations on your (and her) excellent attitude and I wish you many more years of happy biking and gardening together. :D