PDA

View Full Version : Auckland to Rotorua...Best bike route??

Phurrball
13th April 2006, 10:30
Aloha all,

Mrs P and I will be taking our mighty steeds down to Rotorua this weekend from Auckland. (Our first overnighter on the bikes! Yay!:scooter: )

Being as we are both southern types, we're a little bewildered at the possible routes we could take to Rotorua. (SH1 excepted - that'll be boring and choked with escaping Aucklanders...)

I thought I'd tap the KB collective (un?)consciousness for enjoyable, bike friendly routes. We've both got plenty of kays under our belts, but we'll be taking it easy, with plenty of stops.

We have a NZ motorcycle touring guide, but it's difficult to get an overall picture of the route, or topography when the routesare split across several page - what do the sage KBers suggest??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (Yes, I'll even indulge a few digs at South Islanders if you make worthy suggestions...)

Cheers,

Phurrball/Ross and Mrs.

MSTRS
13th April 2006, 10:34
how (in)direct do you want?

Cajun
13th April 2006, 10:50
there is always the good ol sh 22 way, plenty of backways, or you can head down via tauranga way

Squeak the Rat
13th April 2006, 11:15
I took a bit of an impromptu shortcut back from Rua the other day and plan to have another look on the bike at some stage.

I don't have an exact route, but head down SH2 and turn right at Maramarua. Head towards Tahuna, but take a right before SH27 and follow the back roads past Morrinsville to Matamata.

I only did a very small part of this, so just putting it up as an idea....But do let us know what route you take and how you get on. Good luck!

http://www.wises.co.nz/map/default.asp?street=NO%2E+1+Road&suburb=&town=TAHUNA&sttype=&id=95480|2&svctype=1&mapaction=0&mapwhich=19&mapsize=2&width=512&height=512&businesses=1&brad=25&color=-1&filled=0&e=2735701&n=6407797&routemethod=0&s_id=&radius=&zoom=3&move=true&zoomin=true

[Edit]: in case you know nothing at all about Auck-Rot, SH1=rubbish, avoid at all costs, SH27=mainly long & straight with reasonabe HP presence, ok in car, SH22=nice ride down to Hamilton west of SH1. Tirau is a nice stop for a coffee / food.

Keystone19
13th April 2006, 11:18
We're heading down tomorrow morning. Kaiuaua, Kopu, Hikuai, Whangamata, Waihi, Tauranga, Pyes Pa, Rotorua. You're welcome to join us! PM me if you're keen.

Cajun
13th April 2006, 11:37
Squeak - tahuna -> morrinsville

Is a road i travel a lot on, you can go down 22, and turn off it at glen murry, then get on sh 1 for a short time then turn off for tahuna. then off the rest way.

Phurrball
13th April 2006, 11:40
how (in)direct do you want?

Not too off the beaten trail...not too on it either...how's that for ambiguous?!

I'm liking the suggestions so far! I'm not too worried as to the exact route, as long as we get there, and enjoy getting there - ie not get too lost or stressed. Shouldn't get lost with all the maps I own as long as I can find the buggres!

Cheers for the suggestions so far - this is what KB should be about...I shall report back to the managing director and see what she says...

Matt Bleck
13th April 2006, 11:45
auck - take ohinewai turn off to tahuna - morrinsville - matamata - te poi - rotorua. I can do ya abit of a map if your keen on this route.

HDTboy
13th April 2006, 12:53
We're heading down tomorrow morning. Kaiuaua, Kopu, Hikuai, Whangamata, Waihi, Tauranga, Pyes Pa, Rotorua. You're welcome to join us! PM me if you're keen.
Wot she said :stupid:

Mental Trousers
13th April 2006, 13:44
sh22 - Ngaruawahia - Kihikihi - past Atiamuri dam - Whakamaru - Rotorua

Krayy
13th April 2006, 13:57
auck - take ohinewai turn off to tahuna - morrinsville - matamata - te poi - rotorua. I can do ya abit of a map if your keen on this route.
That's the way I like to go, but sometimes go up Kaimais the across Pyes Pa for something a little different

Cajun
13th April 2006, 13:59
You have do the kamais, our rides often its were do we go so we can come back home via the kamias (wakatio side)

Phurrball
13th April 2006, 15:01
Shouldn't get lost with all the maps I own as long as I can find the buggres!

Try cleaning up that pile of shit next to your side of the bed xx.

The dangers of autologin writ large above. Bloody cheeky woman. Who thinks she should have her own login to stir shit??

Phurrball
13th April 2006, 16:15
Cheers all!

I've printed out the suggestions above and will play pick and mix with them and a map at home (in consultation with she-who-was-snide-using-my-login-above.)

Here, I leave the net (goddamit!) for the timebeing.

Any more ideas will be printed out by said snide-she, and taken home for perusal when her working night is done.

APPLE
13th April 2006, 16:52
as a former vegas boy?i would 2nd that route.

Maha
13th April 2006, 17:05
Go with Keystone, that seems the more senic route, would be a hell neat ride fur sure, straight down the middle is mostly farms......:sick:

Phurrball
20th April 2006, 10:54
Righto,

a quick tour report:

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!

We were pretty late leaving after dealing with our cat (her accomodation cost....ours did not!) and our greater than usual aversion to the AM hours.

We took the Ohinewai-Tahuna-Morrinsville-Matamata-Te Poi route to Rotorua.

Had the route all written out and stuck on the tank. Cunning I thought...this was good, until open road speed demonstrated that insulation-tape-you-find lying-around is NOT sufficient to hold on to paper in all that wind.

Crippled chicken impression ensued to prevent loss of route page: right hand steering and holding throttle, left 'wing' in a spastic position holding paper under arm while undoing pocket and uncerimoniously shoving route page in. Lesson learned.

Disaster averted (I did have the NZ motorcycle touring atlas with me as back up.)

All went swimmingly...until it got dark. Without the route in front of me, my navigational ineptitude came to the fore: took a slight wrong turn heading through Te Poi. It seemed that all roads were determined to take us to Hamilton. It was sucking us in like a giant magnet.

Referer to map, find ourselves going through Tirau, then off to Rotovegas on SH5 via some roadworks that were rather disturbing after dark...

We had planned to return via SH22, but ended up going back the same way, so 22 will have to wait for another day.

Was great to feel smug going in both directions splitting through stationary cars in places on SH1. Hurrah!

Greatly enjoyed travelling by bike - limited luggage space makes you think about your packing. Mrs P even managed to find a 'travel' hairdryer for such occasions. Next time we must remember how damned cold it gets in the central NI after dark at this time of the year and travel soley by daylight!

Phurrball/Ross

kiwifruit
20th April 2006, 11:20
Mental-Trousers' route is a goodie