PDA

View Full Version : My 1982 DR 250

kro
13th April 2006, 10:58
I found my el cheapo digi cam, and took a couple of shots of the DR, after the big fix up this week.
Yes this is shameless indulgence, but I love looking at other peoples bikes, so here's mine first.

I pulled the entire back end off it, including swingarm, shock, chain, chain guide, sprocket, shock pivots etc etc, and did a full clean, re-grease, and re=assembly, including a full strip down of the shock, which now has oil in it, that it apparently didn't have when I bought it. I also pulled the airbox off, and found it had been heavily modified, with extra holes punched in it, and black hoses going in all directions, so I plastic welded up the extra holes, cleaned it out, and the air filter, gave it a quick spray to hide the "welding" (yay 40w soldering iron).

I found out my upper and lower chain rollers were gone completely, so I improvised, and cut two 25mm long pieces of garden hose, and two 25mm pieces of the think black reinforced rubber hosing from the extra airbox intakes, and put a smidgen of grease on them, and slapped those onto the roller shafts, with the black reinforced hose of larger diameter going over the top of the garden hose "inner" and it works primo.
The rear chain guide was flogged out, but was reversible, so i flipped it over, and re bolted it up, and it is good now too.

I repacked all the bearings, sanded up the rear shoes, and drum

I don't have a lot of money to throw at the old girl, so I use what I have in my garage to do repairs etc, and so far, it's cost me 850 bux all up, including bike. It's a grunty old girl, and does all I need it to.

WRT
13th April 2006, 11:04
She looks pretty good for an old girl! Good on ya, great effort there, and its come up looking fantastic. Great to see that the old Kiwi ingenuity is still alive and kicking.

Wellyman
13th April 2006, 14:52
What a cool classic man! she looks great, good job on the maintainence and keeping her tidy. 850 bucks is a good easy beginners bike budget that won't break the bank but will let you hit the dirt and have fun.
WM

NordieBoy
13th April 2006, 19:33
So we should expect to see it at Tadmor next weekend for the Classic MX Club Champs then?

:D

BEAMER89
13th April 2006, 21:03
Good on ya mate, $850 is still cheap cos theyre still a good fun bike 2 blat round on, hope you get time to ride it around heaps over easter.:ride:

cheese
13th April 2006, 23:55
Well done that man!

My bike was kind similar, but spent 3-4 times as much.... :(