PDA

View Full Version : Damaged exhaust can - Help

GR81
13th April 2006, 14:03
The previous owner of my bike low-sided it at some stage and the can has been damaged. (see pic)
Although the can itself is fine, the piece of metal strapping that seals it off on one end is damaged and creates a small leak.

Does anyone know who might be able to repair this for me.
Someone in Auckland, preferably on the North Shore, but not necessarily.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cajun
13th April 2006, 14:05
any metalwork place should be able to make up a thing strip of metal, and rivit it back together

i am about to do something simlar to my yoshi pipe, and repack the insides while at it

Buster
13th April 2006, 14:21
Maybe you could use a stainless hose clamp on it. Would look neater and possibly cost less. Try anzor fasteners. 8 arrenway drive, albany.

GR81
13th April 2006, 14:22
Maybe you could use a stainless hose clamp on it. Would look neater and possibly cost less. Try anzor fasteners. 8 arrenway drive, albany.
would still need to patch the holes up from the current rivets.
could be an option tho, thanks.

Cajun
13th April 2006, 14:30
cost less than a thin bit of stainless steel, or allumin, and a few rivits?

Buster
13th April 2006, 14:32
Possibly & $55 per hour.

Cajun
13th April 2006, 14:37
your be lucky if it took 30 mins to cut some metal up and then put 7-8 rivits.

MSTRS
13th April 2006, 16:58
May need to use marine rivets (the heads are sealed on them)

DEATH_INC.
14th April 2006, 08:37
Go to any half decent sheetmetal place and they'll cut you a strip of stainless for fark all, wrap it around the can and ya can mark the rivet holes. I use monnel rivets (stainless, farkin tough, better have a good riveter).Job done :niceone:

GR81
14th April 2006, 09:58
need to find a rivet gun fullstop! haha

GSVR
14th April 2006, 15:45
That can aint damaged it just has a couple of loose bits.

Damaged is when its folded in half after backing into something at speed.

I would suggest using some silicon sealant when you reassemble it as it works suprisingly well. Besides if you repack it as well there should be very little pressure there anyway.

The perf tube should be wrapped in stainless steel wool then packed with suitable baflling shite (I use fiberglass chopped strand matting and it seems to last ok.

Manuka
23rd December 2008, 20:05
Hey. My can is scraped to hell from where the previous owner dropped it. Apparently you can get new stainless outer sleeves put on damaged mufflers.
Can anyone tell me where i can get this done in the Auckland, preferably Franklin, area? And how much Id be looking at. Cheers

98tls
23rd December 2008, 20:16
May need to use marine rivets (the heads are sealed on them) Good point though i always use a sealer anyway as have had backfiring/leakage from end caps.Someone mentioned steel wool round baffles,i tried it once with packing and on the way to the march hare called in to a boozer on the way to when after grabbing a pint and walking outside find 3 blokes peering down my righthand can watching it glowing,steel wool was red hot,took can to bits awhile later to find it had turned to shit completly.Waste of time and no point if good quality packing is used.

cs363
23rd December 2008, 20:45
I've got just what you need - do you want Titanium or Stainless?
Just PM me your address and I'll send you a couple up.