PDA

View Full Version : First ride with the missus

OMG
14th April 2006, 20:51
When out for the first time with a pillion today - the beloved missus. Went to Chocolate fish for a nice gentle ride to ease her into it. When we got off the bike she said "That was cool, lets go to the Wairarapa" :ride: . Instead went to over to Wainui and then down the coast road. She loved it so tomorrow it is off to the Wairarapa.

Have a couple of suspension questions thought. Riding 2 up the rear end seems to stick round corners better - when it is just me, it can feel a bit twitchy. Do I need to soften it a bit?

Second question, when powering out of fast corners and over some bumps I felt it bottom out, so do I need to add a bit more preload for when riding 2 up?

If I change the suspension on the rear, will I need to fiddle with the front too (am happy with the front end as it is at the moment)?

kickingzebra
14th April 2006, 21:02
Pillioning is always going to alter the dynamics of the bike... I am sooo not a suspension expert, but on the zzr when pillioning I wound up the preload to full, which made a huge difference, never bottomed out after that... made it a bit hard one up, but perfect for harder riding...
Changing the settings can be a real pain in the butt, so most would say figure out what works as the best intermediate for the riding you do...
In saying that, on the GSXR the wife was getting bounced up and down hitting road ripples, so I might need to tone preload down a bit, or maybe damping up... If my hunch is right...
Caution, not an experts opinion!!

Maha
14th April 2006, 21:20
I have just started taking my partner on the back also, cant offer any suggestions to your questions but i agree that bike feels better in some ways when we are two up, anne has been on and around bike for well over 20 yrs and i cant feel her there behind me sometimes, i get the pat on the back or there abouts every so often, 2nd time out last weekend and rode into huge rain, wasnt fazed really,im sure the bike knows me by now......

sugilite
15th April 2006, 00:02
If you were to be doing a lot of 2 up work, then look at cranking up the preload, if it has compression adjustment, bump that up too. You prob won't have to do anything to the front end if it already feels good.

The extra weight of 2 up settles the rear more, it also makes the rear end squat more which produces more stable chasis geometry.

Oakie
16th April 2006, 10:30
On my bike I had to wind the suspension up to the second hardest setting for pillioning as it seemed to 'bottom out' with a softer setting. Having done that though the handling was the same one or two up. On the CX400 I had as a loaner for a month earlier in the year, it handled just so much better two up than when I was on it alone. Two up it just cornered like it was on rails.

Lord Derosso
16th April 2006, 16:01
results OMG as you know we have the same model F. I am planning to take my flatmate up to Waikanae next thursday and he hasnt been on the back of the GSX yet. In fact I havn't pillioned anyone on her yet as I didnt trust the old tyres enough. The new ones are run in so whilst on holiday next week, hopefully will get out more. Presume you have done Haywoods on her yet? Thats always a good ride from the Hutt to the inlet on a nice day. Are you using the bike to commute some days as I saw one same colour as mine down by the Ministry of Defense bike park this week. Glad you are enjoying the bike and does the missus like the colour? Dont let anyone call it yellow ...its metallic GOLD. If you still have her next summer we may catch up for a spin to Castlepoint and do some fishing. ? cheers

OMG
16th April 2006, 19:25
Went to Wairarapa today with the wife on the back, like Oakie said, 2 up it corners like it is on rails, so probably enjoying it even more! Apart from initially being a bit slower off the line, don't really notice too much drop in performance with another person on the back. Definately be keen for a spin to Castlepoint at some stage.

Yeah, that was probably mine parked by the MOD, I either park there, or by the Occidential.

What tyres did you get? I'm not overly keen on what's on it at the moment, but there is still a heap of tread so wont be getting any new rubber for a while.

Lord Derosso
20th April 2006, 15:26
I got Pirelli Speed Demons front and rear fitted and wheels balanced for about $370 from TSS Motorcycles in Alicetown. They are Pirelli agents so the prices are excellent. They have transformed the bikes handling and the ride is soooo much better and smoother. You will read a lot of anti pirelli posts but they are better suited for our lighter less powerful bikes and the compound is balance between mileage and road stick. Personally, I would rather stay on the road than worry about getting new tyres every 3000kms + . I have done 200 miles on them and they show no wear at all, in fact they still have the mould rubber attached to their outsides. Like all tyres, its how you use the bike and if you have two up a lot. You may want to look at at least trying them and then move onto something esle to compare. Have you checked out the forum on the Thorndon cops chase yesterday ??? It sounded like a gold600F and I was wondering if it was you? Not too many of ours around and I was coming back from the Hutt just an hour earlier....

Hitcher
20th April 2006, 16:24
When carrying a pillion it's a good idea to add a couple more psi to your rear tyre. And, if you have an ST1300, to wind up the rear preload a couple of turns...

OMG
20th April 2006, 16:31
When carrying a pillion it's a good idea to add a couple more psi to your rear tyre. And, if you have an ST1300, to wind up the rear preload a couple of turns...
Stop showing off, you know I don't have a ST :bleh:

zadok
20th April 2006, 16:37
It's great when the missus enjoys getting on the back. I checked my manual for it's recomendations and upped the suspension psi a bit and also have some extra pressure in the tyres. No worries.

Hitcher
20th April 2006, 18:43
Stop showing off, you know I don't have a ST
Just as well the "light show" doesn't have an indicator for pillion weight...