PDA

View Full Version : stoppies and brake disc wear?

toads
28th April 2004, 14:25
Hi I have a question for those of you who have twin brake discs on your bikes and you are insane enough to do stoppies on your bikes, what affect does this have on your front brake discs?, do they develop excessive movement etc, I would imagine it would be very hard on them, just interested, I think my son's cbr250 rr has been thrashed in this fashion, ( prior owner of course) :sweatdrop

Motoracer
28th April 2004, 14:46
As far as I have experienced, its just quicker brake pad wear so I guess the disc wear should also be accelerated. It still doesn't wear out that quick so I wouldn't worry about it. If your disc thinkness is ok on the CBR, just replace the buttons to get rid of the play. A bit of play is good for the discs anyway though (when the discs heat up during hard use, they expand in size).

jrandom
28th April 2004, 14:52
Like MR says, I can't see how stoppies would stress the discs differently from the usual wear under braking. Most of the mechanical stress during a stoppie would be on the front suspension, and the brake discs aren't rigidly coupled to the forks in any way.

Cajun
28th April 2004, 15:02
i think if someone has been doing stoppies alot look first that front forks cause they would take the worse damage of anything, also measure the width of the front disks, most of them stamped on them there miminum thickness

White trash
28th April 2004, 15:09
Stoppies are very similar to wheelies in the sense that when performed incorrectly, they both root all maner of components. When performed correctly, very little abnormal wear occurs.

Ask Jimbo750. He's quite the handy man at rolling stoppies but aint the sharpest tool when it comes to wheelies.

I, on the other hand, have been known to perform a few mingers from time to time but can't quite master the skill of riding on the front wheel.

DEATH_INC.
28th April 2004, 15:20
Stoppies are very similar to wheelies in the sense that when performed incorrectly, they both root all maner of components. When performed correctly, very little abnormal wear occurs.

Ask Jimbo750. He's quite the handy man at rolling stoppies but aint the sharpest tool when it comes to wheelies.

I, on the other hand, have been known to perform a few mingers from time to time but can't quite master the skill of riding on the front wheel.

Funny that eh?Three of us all do long wheelies but can't stoppie to save ourselves....
I think you damage the rear suspension more than anything doing stoppies,from the landings....

pete376403
28th April 2004, 15:38
Steering head bearings must cop a beating too, and if the frame is alloy, there's the further possibility of beating the steering head out of round.

jrandom
28th April 2004, 15:42
I think you damage the rear suspension more than anything doing stoppies,from the landings....

Ah yes, I forgot about that. It's not the directly-involved bits that get buggered - stoppies wear out your brake disks, etc, and wheelies stretch your chain a little faster than normal, but wheelies will eventually explode your steering head bearings and fork seals, and stoppies will kill your rear suspension, if you flub the landing.

Of course, I *always* land properly... :innocent:

I'll never forget that time a busa stoppied up to the lights beside me in Te Atatu and then wheelied away. Beautiful it was [wipes tears from eyes]

White trash
28th April 2004, 15:54
Funny that eh?Three of us all do long wheelies but can't stoppie to save ourselves....

I went for a road ride a few years back with an up and coming road racer by the name of Daniel McLachlan (remember him?) just after he scored a Shell Advance GSXR600 ride with Fred Merkel.

I had the wheelies sussed and he was doing the most amazing 100mph rolling stoppies that went forever. Talented little prick!

madandy
28th April 2004, 16:55
I think nothing impresses like a well executed rolling stoppie... :2thumbsup

And a good wheelie aint too bad either :not:

MD
28th April 2004, 20:32
I used a VTR1000 to learn road bike wheelies on but shattered the bushes inside the forks. Those early landings can be ball breakers sometimes. A fork seal started leaking on the next bike. Not sure if that was wheelie landings or stoppies? Also shattered rear light bulbs twice with stoppie landings. Now I stick to rolling stoppies where you can gently (well sort off) put it down without the thud-crack. The big worry is frame/steering head damage I guess. But, its such fun, enjoy today-worry & pay tomorrow. Life's to short to drink the house wine.

toads
28th April 2004, 20:54
thanks fellas for your enlightend thoughts on the matter, I can only speculate as to the effect such things have on the well being of a bike, this bike has had a very hard life by the looks of it and I am being a meanie by making him get everything sorted safetywise before he is let loose on it. I noticed there was quite a lot of movement in the brake discs when I had the front wheel off, 4-5mm (rotation in the direction of the wheel), I assumed perhaps wrongly that this was wear/play that had developed due to hard use, but maybe this is an acceptable amount of play given the type of discs, I want it to be safe and warrantable. The fairings have had a hard time too, probably from stoppies gone wrong! :lol:

jimbo600
28th April 2004, 21:42

Stoppies when done right do not cause too much extra stress to the disk rotors or forks or headrace bearings as it's roughly the same amount as heavy braking with a bit of weight shift to hoik the rear up. However, they fuck the rear as the sudden shock of bike + rider coming back down to Earth damages the rear linkages.

So to ensure all is OK pull loads of stoppies and wheelies, then flog your bike before it's rooted.

And WT is right, I am crapolah at wheelies. 1st.... neutral....smack love spuds on tank.

White trash
29th April 2004, 08:17
Stoppies when done right do not cause too much extra stress to the disk rotors or forks or headrace bearings as it's roughly the same amount as heavy braking with a bit of weight shift to hoik the rear up. However, they fuck the rear as the sudden shock of bike + rider coming back down to Earth damages the rear linkages.

So to ensure all is OK pull loads of stoppies and wheelies, then flog your bike before it's rooted.

And WT is right, I am crapolah at wheelies. 1st.... neutral....smack love spuds on tank.

And we LARFED and LARFED :)

toads
29th April 2004, 08:37

evil :bash:

jimbo600
29th April 2004, 20:43

Yeah I larfed too until I got around the corner and had to massage myself better.

Didn't want any dustbin lids anyway.