PDA

View Full Version : Time to stop the ROT (Ripping Off Tourists)

Beemer
16th April 2006, 11:54
As I headed into Levin yesterday I saw a bike stopped on the side of the road with two young guys standing beside it. Another vehicle had stopped behind them but I stopped as well to see what was going on. They were two Swedish guys, Lars and Viktor, and the chain had come off their Suzuki 400 Impulse - not for the first time during their trip. The other guy who had stopped wasn't able to offer much help as he didn't have a bike trailer and the bike wasn't going anywhere as the chain adjuster and a few other bits were damaged when the chain came off this time. I went home and my husband (Andy) drove back in with the trailer and brought the bike and the two guys home. It was pretty munted and it was by now about 4pm so he rang a guy he knows who works at Levin Motorcycle Centre and he opened up and sold them a new chain. Andy worked for hours putting the chain on, straightening the bent bits, fixing one of the indicators (neither was going when they arrived) and pumping up the tyres. By then it was about 7pm so we got fish and chips for tea and offered them a bed for the night, which they gladly accepted.

I'm not trying to blow our own trumpet, but whoever sold them this piece of shit (11RHG) in Auckland deserves a blast. He charged Lars $1500 for a bike that was obviously only worth about $500. Big thumbs down also to the guy in Dunedin who sold them a second-hand chain for $50 (he had wanted $70 - the new one cost them $80 yesterday) which only got them as far as Kaikoura before it jumped off for the first time.

These guys are 19 years old and had no idea they had been ripped off. Lars wants to sell the bike when he gets back to Auckland and Andy had to shatter his illusions by stating in its current state, he'd be lucky to get a few hundred for it and that it wasn't worth throwing more money at in the hope of getting more for it.

I know for a fact that most motorcyclists in NZ aren't like this but I was really disappointed that at least two of our fraternity felt it was okay to rip off a tourist. Hopefully we have restored their faith but we shouldn't have had to. We were happy we could help and we're confident they should arrive safely in Auckland today - and the only downside for us was missing the night glow at the balloon festival last night. We rushed in about 7pm but it was all over - never mind, it's on every year, how often do we get the chance to meet a couple of Swedish motorcyclists?!!

Here's a picture of them heading off this morning - keep an eye out for them and say hi if you get the chance, they are staying with a friend in Glenn Innes. And here is Lars' website - sorry it's all in Swedish! - http://www.helvetetmx.tk/

Brian d marge
16th April 2006, 13:42
We were out side Rheim in France on a 750 Bonnie at 1 in the morning , when said bike had enough, and stopped

Some windows opened and a family were having a birthday party for their daughter. the rest is almost identical to what you did .

Hopefully when its time to stand up and be counted ( the final time ) it will come back to you in spades.

and while those boys will have one or two negative things to say ,,the one story they will probably tell is abouthe kind person who helped them, ( I am still telling that story 20 years later ..the name of the family was Sergent , Anne was the older daughter )

If I can I do walk up to complete strangers and give, At the motor show we had 2 spare tickets, so we just stopped 2 people ( french from new caladonia ) and gave them the tickets ...I felt good , they were happy and the world , plodded on ...

Stephen

Beemer
16th April 2006, 15:07
It would be nice if a few more people thought along the lines of "do unto others..."

I was up at Massey for a job interview recently and put plenty of money in the meter as I didn't know how long I'd be. When I came out, I still had 25 minutes paid for so I approached a young Asian guy who had just parked next to me and said if he wanted to back out and take my space when I left, he could have the time left on my meter. Well, you'd think I'd given him a million dollars - he and his mate couldn't stop thanking me, it was quite embarrassing!

I felt a bit guilty when I realised Andy had spent most of his day fixing a total stranger's bike, but when we went to bed and mentioned it, he said "don't worry, I'm glad you stopped, I'd like to think that if it were me, someone would stop and help too".

These two guys were really appreciative of us helping them and even offered to mow our lawn before they left! I think they leave NZ on Wednesday but I get the feeling they will be back one day.

sunhuntin
16th April 2006, 15:11
good stuff beemer! even if their confidence was rocked by the rip off artists, im sure you and andy more than restored it!

maybe try sending the link this thread to their website and see if they respond.

Kendog
16th April 2006, 15:38
Not too hard on the eye either.:lol:
Mrs KD

Edbear
16th April 2006, 17:10
We were out side Rheim in France on a 750 Bonnie at 1 in the morning , when said bike had enough, and stopped

As they do......... Sorry, couldn't let that one pass!

Congrats for helping them out. And it wasn't so hard? You guys enjoyed being able to help and it's a shame there are those who'd take advantage of such ones. I believe what goes around comes around and if we take the time to help someone we get it back, even though, as you both demonstrate, we don't look for reward or payment. The satisfaction and the gratitude from those we help is worth far more than money. kudos to you both.

crashe
16th April 2006, 18:17
Not too hard on the eye either.:lol:
Mrs KD

goodness me what will Mr Kendog say when he see's what you have written..:rofl:

Beemer - Glad you were able to help these young lads out...

Ok so who on KB speaks or can read swedish to decipher their website...
and to be able to send them the link to this thread...

Motu
16th April 2006, 18:22
I've had a lot of dealings with the Euro backpacker type tourists - they are their own worst enemy,check out where they got that bike as they tend to keep the vehicles ''in the loop'',passing them on to the next one who needs it.I see them when their van or car breaks down - it's always a total POS,and they paid a crazy price for it,I try and disuade them from fixing it,saying it's just not worth it.But they always want it fix....and then even though I have told them how much it will cost,it's always too much,they haven't got the money - and there is a big guilt trip on me as they find various ways to pay the bill.

These days I try to be tougher and just refuse to look at it....going so far as to say just ''fuck off!'',they seem to understand that at least.Oh it's nice to help the helpless,but when it's all their own fault it wears a bit thin.

merv
16th April 2006, 18:26
You're a gem Beemer and you've got your man well trained. Like you I am surprised about the rip-offs because usually most of us have that help foreigners feeling as we know they would do the same for us.

Paul in NZ
16th April 2006, 20:51
First, bloody good onya for helpin' them out! TOP marks!

Second, no matter what it cost them, they are still having the time of their lives and recording memories that will be solace to them in their old age.

Half their luck!

Highlander
16th April 2006, 21:06
Good on ya Beemer.
Wish there were more prepared to put themselves out to help others.
Like your hubby said, I like to think if it were me (or you) someone would stop to help.

GR81
17th April 2006, 10:13
must be hard yakka touring the country 2-up on a 400cc !!

either way, well done :2thumbsup

Kendog
17th April 2006, 11:11
[QUOTE=crashe]goodness me what will Mr Kendog say when he see's what you have written..:rofl: QUOTE]

Lol Crashe, he's so used to me drooling over young boys. :innocent:

Macktheknife
17th April 2006, 11:38
Good for you, there are still plenty of good Kiwis out there, despite an ever growing number of wankers who would rip people off in the first place.
They will have great memories of their trip thanks to you and others like you.

inlinefour
18th April 2006, 09:59
Ive seen a few younger kids being ripped off by some low life on tard me selling a total POS. The kids end up totally gutted and the slimey seller gets away scott free. However I tagged along the last time and said my 10 cents worth the last time it happened (much to the disgust of the seller). From my experience, it tends not to be MCers at all, but in fact some twerp who knows little about bikes and wants to get rich quick...

ManDownUnder
18th April 2006, 10:13
goodness me what will Mr Kendog say when he see's what you have written..:rofl:

If he's got an ounce of brains he'll make the most of the situation while she's in the mood... for her personal satisafaction only of course

Beemer
20th April 2006, 23:37
I posted this to highlight what I saw as pretty bad behaviour but I certainly didn't expect the response I got - all that rep was embarrassing! We helped because we COULD, not because we expected anything for it - but thank you all, it's nice to get some warm fuzzies!

I don't know about "what goes around, comes around" though - while we were at the Stones concert on Tuesday night in Wellington, some mongrel hit our right rear bumper and left half a dozen huge gouges in it - which match the ones on the left rear that were done in a supermarket car park last year! (There was a witness to that though, and we got some money out of the guy.) Then last night our elderly cat (on his last legs by the look of it) threw up in a big way. We have slate floors in the entrance/kitchen/dining areas but somehow he managed to throw up twice, once each on the two mats we have there!

And tonight two of my email addresses won't work properly - I can view them on the webmail server but they won't download into Outlook Express for some reason.

NOT my week! :nono:

Rhino
20th April 2006, 23:50
Then last night our elderly cat (on his last legs by the look of it) threw up in a big way. We have slate floors in the entrance/kitchen/dining areas but somehow he managed to throw up twice, once each on the two mats we have there!

And tonight two of my email addresses won't work properly - I can view them on the webmail server but they won't download into Outlook Express for some reason.

NOT my week! :nono:
Damn, sounds like you are not having a good time with the cat. :( Regarding the email addys, I would suggest dumping Outlook (virus) Express and use a better email client such as Eudora, Pegus Mail etc. They have so many more capabilities and are more robust.