PDA

View Full Version : Wheel alignment

Nolan
16th April 2006, 21:00
Ok ive tensioned my chain right but one of the things you line up doesnt work quite right, so i was wondering if it would be expensive to get a shop to realign the back wheel... properly heh:Oops:
I did an ok job, but id feel safer if it was done(shown) by a mechanic.

WINJA
16th April 2006, 21:04
Ok ive tensioned my chain right but one of the things you line up doesnt work quite right, so i was wondering if it would be expensive to get a shop to realign the back wheel... properly heh:Oops:
I did an ok job, but id feel safer if it was done(shown) by a mechanic.
YOU CAN DO IT WITH FISHING LINE , YOU NEED TO GET A RACE STAND TO DO IT PROPERLY , SOMETIMES ON A NEW BIKE THE ALIGNMENT MARKS CAN BE OUT AND THE STRING LINE METHOD IS THE WAY TO GET IT RIGHT

bugjuice
16th April 2006, 21:27
taking a few easy measurements, you can line it up yourself.
Make sure the chain still has a bit of slack in it (around 25-30mm at the tight spot), and you'll save yourself some dosh and hassle..

ajturbo
17th April 2006, 09:22
i find that on the turbo i make sue that the back wheel is BEHIND the front........:bleh: :bleh:

oh errrr it's a shaft drive:killingme :killingme

selectedgrub
17th April 2006, 10:02
Try this....

http://www.hdrcgb.org.uk/technical/white_papers/wp001.htm

Unless you are a mind reader and know what those other guys are babbling on about

MSTRS
17th April 2006, 10:48
If the chain is absolutely straight in line with the sprockets at each end, then your wheel will be aliigned pretty well

Nolan
17th April 2006, 11:58
Thanks guys
Yea the adjuster on the chain side works perfect but the other side will wind in properly but winding out the lines stay the same,
Ill try the string method but would it be like 50 bucks or under to get it done at cycletreads just once so i can see how they do it.

Pixie
17th April 2006, 15:14
Many adjusters will push the axle out (tightening the chain),but if you need to go the other way, you need to push the axle back by hand (or with a block of wood and a mallet)

Ixion
17th April 2006, 16:26
I find a good boot applied to the tyre does the trick quite effectively.Remember always to leave the tensioners snugged up against the direction they will want to move when you tighten the axle nut, there is always backlash in the assembly

DEATH_INC.
17th April 2006, 16:40
I find a good boot applied to the tyre does the trick quite effectively.
And make sure you have the front wheel against something if it's on the sidestand :whistle:

terbang
17th April 2006, 16:46
Check your front wheel is central betwen straight forks. Check your swingarm bearings. Assuming all is good, Jack her up using 2 jacks or centrestand and jack combination and get the bike laterally level with a spirit level use some common longitudinal frame rails under your seat or similar to put your level across. Now put your spirit level across one of the triple clamps or the top of the fork outer tube (non USD) and turn the steering until that is level. You now have the front end aligned with your frame (don't bump it and keep rechecking). Run a string line or similar at about axle height along the bike, but just clear of it aligned paralell to your front wheel (a good 3 ft ruler and a marker pen will help here). Now check the measurement on the back wheel rim fore and aft (9 and 3 oclock) and adjust accordingly. With a bit of mucking around you will havefront wheel aligned to the frame and the rear weheel aligned to the front wheel.

Shaun
17th April 2006, 18:03
Thanks guys
Yea the adjuster on the chain side works perfect but the other side will wind in properly but winding out the lines stay the same,
Ill try the string method but would it be like 50 bucks or under to get it done at cycletreads just once so i can see how they do it.

Way under $50 bucks.

Edbear
17th April 2006, 21:08
Takes me about 2 min to adjust the chain and the marks seem to be lined up well, the tip about the chain being straight is a good one. Personally, if you have doubts about your ability, take it to Cycletreads. Even if you do do it yourself, if you've any doubts it'll take some gloss of your riding. Not too comfortable to be whizzing along with that little nagging thought in your mind, "Is everything okay?" Don't need the stress, eh?

Blackbird
18th April 2006, 07:48
Build your own laser alignment rig. I posted this a while back but it works a treat and only costs a few dollars.

Nolan
19th April 2006, 20:04
heh turned out that the wheel alignment was bad anyway. 40mm gap one side of the front tire and 20mm gap the other.
How bad is that? It wears the tire out fast eh?