PDA

View Full Version : hi flow air filters,better than stock??

magnum
28th April 2004, 16:19
whats the consensus?i have a aftermarket exhaust which hasnt effected my fueling much and have heard different veiws on weather a k&n or b&m type paper filter will give me more flow/hp than the standard filter.any advice welcome,dont want to waste $$ if i dont have to.

White trash
28th April 2004, 16:25
Definitely worth the money IF you get the bike tuned to accomdate the change in flow. The beauty of a K&N is it's cleanable so pays for itself after 30000km or so.

tlronny
28th April 2004, 21:45
I reckon you can get away with one mod without fine tuning but do both and good luck !
I reckon the "K&N" style filters are a bit over hyped unless your keeping it a while (as trash said) :Punk:

jimbo600
28th April 2004, 21:52
whats the consensus?i have a aftermarket exhaust which hasnt effected my fueling much and have heard different veiws on weather a k&n or b&m type paper filter will give me more flow/hp than the standard filter.any advice welcome,dont want to waste $$ if i dont have to.

Go get the K&N and go get a TEKA tune. Damn well awesome.

Motu
28th April 2004, 22:34
Some bikes are touchy,some aren't,but usualy a pipe and K&N with opened air box intake then a couple of sizes up on the main jet and lift the needles a notch does the trick.A K&N gives better flow and more induction noise....but not so good on the filtering bit - you decide.

F5 Dave
29th April 2004, 11:43
Can depend on whether (please note the spelling) the filter is the weak link. K&N have an excellent rep & it is well deserved, cheaper copies don’t flow as well. For the sake of clarification I assume you are talking the airbox replacement type not individual filters.

Airbox mods should be done on the dyno, many non intuitive things happen when you rip off snorkels, some times they help flow & sharp edges are not good (ie: the old drill some holes idea isn’t efficient flow wise).

On my YZF I fitted a K&N. Felt okish, maybe a bit flat up top perhaps. Trip to the dyno, Ohh looky lost 15hp up top. Hard to tell on the road above 10000rpm from seat of pants when you are around the 100hp mark as the speeds required are fairly high.

Try several mainjets to find the best (up 2 sizes in this case) & the curve follows the original exactly. Exactly.

This proves the airflow has changed & needed to be jetted to compensate but the power restriction was elsewhere presumably upstream. With a different arrangement of ports & cams the filter may have made a difference.

Moral of the story? Eat your greens & be nice to your mother. :confused2

vifferman
29th April 2004, 11:55
Depends on the bike, as some bikes just DON'T run well on K&N filters, without extensive rejetting and monkeying around, the Firestorm being one such example. Personally, I reckon that K&N filters are just about all hype, and people buy them just for the name.
Do a Google search, then get on a forum on the InterWeb for bikes like yours, and there'll be heaps of posts about what works vs. what doesn't. Of course, you'll have to sift through lots of bullshit from people who are justifying their expenditure by saying their bike 'seemed' to go better, or 'felt' faster.

As a matter of interest, my VFR came with a Unifilter fitted (washable oiled foam) and it worked very well on standard jetting. I couldn't get one for the VTR, even contacted the factory, but they don't make one. Yet. Mebbe one day. Or summat. Or not... :confused:

Anyway, I made my own, by cutting the paper element out of the original filter, and cutting a piece of Unifilter foam (from Motomail) to fit, then siliconing it in. Made a slight difference to the airflow (slightly more flow), but more importantly means I can just clean it instead of replacing it. Total cost? $35, and I've still got enough foam for another filter. :2thumbsup

magnum
30th April 2004, 22:08
thanks fullas i htink ill leave it for a while and try to get my skills up a bit first with a few more track days.