PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass release agents

Coyote
17th April 2006, 19:06
I want to make some replica fairings for my RG. I want to make a mould over the original fairings from fibreglass then make the replica fairings from those moulds. Will a PVA based release agent do any damage to the fairings and the stickers on them? I shouldn't think so but just want to make sure. I want to keep the original fairings intact.

Also where's a good place to get some fibreglass supplies in the Wellington region, preferably Upper Hutt? Nees Mitre10 only had a basic kitset which I got today and it doesn't have nearly enough resin and chopped strand mat as I need and it didn't come with any release agent.

Racey Rider
17th April 2006, 19:49
Weren't VIC club doing a deal on RG fiberglass race flarings Not long ago?

Madness
17th April 2006, 20:08
I'm not sure if he's still going but there was a guy in Upper Hutt that did a lot of Fibreglass. Almac F/Glass I think it is, in Nicholaus Street. Friendly old bugger.
There's also DJI Fibreglass in Gracefield. You can get supplies and advice maybe??

Coyote
17th April 2006, 20:19
I had no idea VIC club had any. I want to try make them myself anyway, then go into making custom fairings

My metalwork class is hopefully going on a fieldtrip to Almac cars to see how they do it. Might ask them where they get thier stuff. Want to give this a go these holidays so I'll check the Yellow Pages for anything. Wanted to check here first to see if there were any good guys that anyone has delt with

Madness
17th April 2006, 20:27
I think you might find that people like Almac will get their supplies from somebody like Nuplex. Industrial products are often easier purchased from and end-user in the industry. Almac will be buying bulk supplies at a good rate on a trade account. You would probably only need enough material to make a direct purchase including freight etc impractical.

Often buying steel in smaller quantities is more practical through an engineering firm than the steel company. Cut lengths and trade/retail rates can differ too.

If Almac is still going, call in and introduce yourself to Alec the owner. He's a great old bugger.

arj127
17th April 2006, 20:36
Wax it about 15 times with mould release agent, and use PVA release agent. If the stickers are original it will probably release sweet as. You should be able to purchase your products from Nuplex Industries.

Eurodave
17th April 2006, 21:03
Dont get PVA glue confused with PVA release agent, they are both totally different things, using PVA glue as a release agent WILL NOT WORK!!!!
BTW the proper figlass release agent wont do any harm to paintwork or stickers on its own,
HOWEVER it wont fully protect paint/stickers from damage from subsequent gelcoat & fibreglass resin layers, be warned, best budget for a new paintjob, just in case

Coyote
17th April 2006, 21:24
I'll try what arj127 said. With any luck the wax shold stop any resin from harming the original fairings.

And yes I know there's a difference between PVA Glue and PVA release agent. Some guys in class used PVA glue on their projects as we didn't have any proper release agent and it didn't work out too well

gav
17th April 2006, 21:49
Nuplex Industries has a great website with heaps of info, check this out http://www.nuplexcomposites.co.nz/html/howtos.htm
Arrgghh, shit, looks like they may have pulled those links, anyway, try under the technical bulletins.

arj127
21st April 2006, 19:08
We wax all our campervan plugs 15 times before first release and pray for a good release. Its not until about the sixth release that the product starts to fall out. PJ Hobbs in Papakura is also a good supplier, as well as Chemical Specialties in Onehunga. Good luck with the moulds.