PDA

View Full Version : Learner License Conditions

SwanTiger
17th April 2006, 20:07
Taken from the LTSA website regarding a learner motorcycle license:

"You must not go faster than 70 km/h on the open road."

"Open Road", does this mean that doing 100kmp/h on the Motorway is legal however over 100kmp/h on the "Open Road" (take most of SH16 as an example) is illegal?

MidnightMike
17th April 2006, 20:09
Taken from the LTSA website regarding a learner motorcycle license:

"You must not go faster than 70 km/h on the open road."

"Open Road", does this mean that doing 100kmp/h on the Motorway is legal however over 100kmp/h on the "Open Road" (take most of SH16 as an example) is illegal?

If you ask me its a whole lot of shit, if your confident go the speed limit, if your not then slow down to seventy, and if u have a deathwish tape the throttle fully open. :spudbn:

Highlander
17th April 2006, 20:15
and if u have a deathwish tape the throttle fully open. :spudbn:

Or ride that flame throwing Nitrous breathing Busa trike of yours Mike...

Ixion
17th April 2006, 20:16
Over 70kph is illegal, anywhere, on a 6L

MidnightMike
17th April 2006, 20:16
Or ride that flame throwing Nitrous breathing Busa trike of yours Mike...

Lol, forgot about that, still my profile pic, need to dust her off and take her for a spin :shifty:

cruxis
19th April 2006, 12:39
Another condition, which I am told is a recent admendment but cant find it anywhere in the road code or act. If your a learner and you carry a pillion, You the driver get fined 400$, but also the passenger gets fined 400$ for

what officer wrote on ticket ..

Aiding a restricted driver to drive unqualified (illegiable word) $400

How I know? Over easter My nephew has a Learners Licence, He was the passenger of a Driver who also had a Learners. They got pulled over, The cop give the driver a $400 under Driving contrary to conditions on licence [sect 31(1)(b)] of the act.

The condition broken is: You must not drive on your own. A supervisor must be sitting in the front passenger seat beside you when you're driving. Your supervisor must hold (and have held for at least two years) a current full New Zealand driver licence.

Which is fair enough. Serves him right.

BUT...... The passenger also gets a $400 fine.... So thats 400$ each.

I can see car loads of learner teenagers racking up the fines with this one.

Ixion
19th April 2006, 12:56
Hm. Creative ticketing , methinks. Somewhat sympathise with the cop though. Actually, he might have been better to go for "Instructing a learner driver when not the holder of a full licence " - I think (though I've not checked) that that might be an offence

MSTRS
19th April 2006, 12:57
BUT...... The passenger also gets a $400 fine.... So thats 400$ each.

I can see car loads of learner teenagers racking up the fines with this one.
Kching.... next .....

Streetwise
20th April 2006, 22:09
its all shit and dangerous if you ask me. stick with the flow of traffic.

Blairos
20th April 2006, 22:24
You are much more of a danger at 70K on the Motorway than maintaining speed in the flow of traffic, so long as you are doing so safely (correct following distances, riding to the conditions etc)...

Is it the LTSA's intention to reduce "experience gathering"?

As for the "Idiot Magnet" (L-Plate) dont get me started...:ar15:

SwanTiger
20th April 2006, 22:31
I wouldn't obey the rule, I was just confused by their choice of words.

Ixion
20th April 2006, 22:36
The LTSA made it confusing.

The actual law is more straightforward

LAND TRANSPORT (DRIVER LICENSING) RULE 1999
PART 4 - LEARNER LICENCES, RESTRICTED LICENCES, AND FULL LICENCES

(c)In the case of a Class 6L licence,—

(i)The holder must not drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; and

(ii)The holder must not drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h; and

(iii)The holder must not drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; and

(iv)The holder must not carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle.

neats
21st April 2006, 00:20
I read must not exceed 70 km on an open road. What about the 80 km zones. Don't you have to go 80 km? Confused.

Ixion
21st April 2006, 00:36
No. The actual law is simple . It says "[You] must not drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h" Full stop. So you cannot do 80kph. Anywhere.

neats
21st April 2006, 00:42
Thanks for that

SwanTiger
21st April 2006, 00:48
The LTSA made it confusing.

The actual law is more straightforward

Thank you for providing the clarification that I was looking for.

I read what is written on the LTSA website and it left me a little confused as to what the 70kmp/h condition actually imposed on in terms of roads (i.e. motorway being 100kmp/h).

neats
21st April 2006, 00:50
Ok, just to be a pain in the arse, i've just gone and had a look at the LTNZ website re-license conditions. the conditions they have posted are;
If you hold a learner motorcycle licence, you must adhere to the following conditions:

* You must carry your learner licence at all times when you're riding.
* You must have an 'L' plate attached to the rear of your motorcycle.
* You must not ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity greater than 250 cc.
* You must not go faster than 70 km/h on the open road.
* You must not ride between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am.
* You must not carry a pillion passenger.
* You should not drink any alcohol before driving.
o If you're under 20, your legal alcohol limit is 30 mg/100 ml of blood. This is effectively a zero limit - consuming one drink will mean a rider can be charged with drink driving.
o If you're over 20, the legal alcohol limit is 80 mg/100 ml of blood. Your riding, however, may be affected well before you reach the legal alcohol limit.
I'm confused with the, "You must not go faster than 70 km/h on the open road.", bit. An 80 km p/h restricted spped zone is not an open road hence the question.

Ixion
21st April 2006, 07:22
That is why I said that the LTSA have made it confusing. They have stuck in the "on the open road" bit, which is not in the actual law. It is the wording of the law that determines what is permitted.

In the same way as they have added the "You should not drink any alcohol before driving" , a statement which has no legal authority. The law on alcohol and driving is the same for a learner licence holder as any other driver. The LTSA are being pompous and confusing people.

sunhuntin
21st April 2006, 21:20
asked the other day, the guy who took me for my learners, the legality of riding with an L plate and holding a full license [was considering this for unfamilier roads, as id consider myself a learner in that situation] and he says it is illegal to do so. that sure wasnt in the road code!

neats
22nd April 2006, 01:23
Had two learner licenses in the house and this has been the debate. Answer .... go and get my restricted. Been putting it off for too long but thanks for the advice.