PDA

View Full Version : New Bike!

BlackJet
21st March 2003, 04:33
Hi everybody....except you Wari...cos you spend most of your time in Wales now!
I haven't been in for a month or two as we've been moving house from Carmarthen in West Wales to Deeside in North Wales.....approx 150 miles distance. Once we got settled, I managed to sweet talk the wife into letting me change the bike.....so here it is!

http://mysite.freeserve.com/BlackJet/faz5.JPG

It's a new Yamaha FZS600 Fazer which I collected last week....I'm not sure if you get these in NZ cos I know the US doesn't. I'm up to 270 miles running in, helped by the first decent weather we've had in the UK for 6 months.
Anyway, I'll keep you all posted....take care!

wkid_one
21st March 2003, 12:15
Not in NZ yet to my knowledge - we have the detuned R1 Fazer........actually it was at the Ardmore Airshow recently pulling some wicked stunts.

I am presuming it is the same deal - a slightly detuned r6 engine??

If so - bring on the wheelies and stoppies coz it is one hell of a stunting bike.

My advice tho is the get aftermarket handlebar clamps to drop the bars a bit lower so you can get a good tuck when hooning and reduce the 'touring' sitting position.....

Slim
21st March 2003, 16:41
My motorcycling ambitions include becoming a Ulysses member (9 years to go) and purchasing a brand spanking new bike. :)

You lucky, lucky thing. :D

BlackJet
21st March 2003, 20:22
No, it's a detuned to 95bhp YZF600R motor....this is my second one as they've been on sale over here for over 5 years.

Redstar
22nd March 2003, 21:25
that look choice mate!
I want it

twistymover
23rd March 2003, 02:27
To Blackjet. Just wondered what those big headlamps are like at night?They look like they would give a pretty good spread.

BlackJet
23rd March 2003, 23:42
The headlights seem to be in the same style as the R1, so they're probably pretty good. The original 98 Fazer that I had was renowned for poor headlights, so it was an issue that Yamaha had to address. But it's very rare I ride at night anyway.

wkid_one
24th March 2003, 19:50
I must confess the whole stacked headlights fade that is presently being displayed on the the new bikes is growing on me for looks - but I do question the effectiveness of travelling with them at night at high speeds for peripheral vision.  The broad lights on the R1/Fazer/GSXR etc certainly do provide a good spread.......

Is it not only me that the look of the new 999 is growing on???? I saw 2 on the road the other day, and my god they look good - now if only I could wedge a GSXR engine in that sexy frame!!!!!!!!  Now that would be a great bike....all that power and the cornering of a duke - nice!!!!! 

twistymover
25th March 2003, 03:23
I do a lot of riding at night, which is why I asked about the Fazer's lights.My vfr has a very good spread on dip and the two top lights are really spots,good for way in the distance with the low beam ones remaining on when switched to high. 110watts on low and 220watts on high. I'm happy with that ,for the time being. How about the vtr1000?How do you find it at night?
As for the 999 Ducati, a very nice looking m/cycle.It got a good writeup in the March issue of Motorcycle Trader.The only thing said against it was that the mirrors don't work because the field of vision is too narrow.But, I could live with that.

Coldkiwi
25th March 2003, 12:55
I must admit I haven't ridden one... but the ZZR1200 has GOT to have some of the best headlights in the business judging by the size of them. I'm not saying they're pretty but they MUST be effective at that size. Anyone had any experience?

merv
27th March 2003, 13:00
I see that the Fazer is being phased out in Pomgolia.

Check it out on MCN http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=167312

wkid_one
27th March 2003, 20:08
I put halogens in the VTR - I have a wicked spot about 30m in front of the bike - which you can successfully outrun at about 160kpm.........but what bike/car can't you.

The VTR has a pretty good beam and spread for night riding - but I don't ride at night as I can't be bothered changing my Visor - sad I know!!!

BlackJet
2nd April 2003, 04:15
Originally posted by merv
I see that the Fazer is being phased out in Pomgolia.

Check it out on MCN http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=167312

It's this emissions bollocks!

They'll bring out a new R6 powered version by the end of the Summer...and bound to be up from 95bhp as well!

wari
3rd April 2003, 00:05
Oi BJ , how do they check up on the emissions once the bike is on the road ?