PDA

View Full Version : God its beautiful

kels
19th April 2006, 17:37
Im currently visiting the South Island for my Sis's B-Day, she lives in Ngapara, just out of Oamaru.

She has taken me for a bit of sight seeing and its blown me away :yes:
The South Island is stunning! What a truly awesome country we have.

Jonty
19th April 2006, 17:39
Yes it is great down there - I used to live in Ngapara (fifth generation):yes:

Blairos
19th April 2006, 17:42
Never, ever ceases to amaze me when I go there

and no one place there is really worse than the other...

If I could live there and keep the same job, I would have years ago...

GR81
19th April 2006, 17:59
yup, you auckland people dont know what ur missing south of the bombays :blah:

onearmedbandit
19th April 2006, 18:18
So good in fact I'm touring the top half of our own island for 4 days this weekend.

Rashika
19th April 2006, 19:16
well shucks.... :innocent: we do our best
have fun!!

Karitane pete
19th April 2006, 20:06
Some nice roads in that area.

ajturbo
19th April 2006, 20:09
i used to live in Oamaru!... and used to crusie up the waitaki (sp?) valley a lot.... i hated my time there, but am drawn to the unclutted out backs...
it sure is nice (now) down that way on a sunny day.....

oldrider
19th April 2006, 21:30
Yep, sure is! I go that way most times when I go to town (Oamaru) in fact I will be shooting down through there tomorrow morning.
I only come home via Pukeuri when it's dark and late. (Too straight)
There are some real sweet little roads in the back of Oamaru that most tourers never ever see. They think it's all flat and boring. Shame that!
Glad you enjoyed it down here. Cheers John.

limbimtimwim
19th April 2006, 21:32
Oh I know.

I remember coming around a corner on the West Coast and shedding a tear.

Been to Milford Sound? Make the time. Apparently it is better when it is raining because then the waterfalls are bigger.

Rhino
19th April 2006, 21:44
Been to Milford Sound? Make the time. Apparently it is better when it is raining because then the waterfalls are bigger.
Absolutely. As a former Mainlander, I can guarantee that the ride to Milford in wet weather is bloody awesome.:yes:

oldrider
19th April 2006, 21:49
Never, ever ceases to amaze me when I go there

and no one place there is really worse than the other...

If I could live there and keep the same job, I would have years ago...

That picture looks to me like, Mt Cook, Pukaki, Ruataniwha and the canal system with Twizel obscured by the cloud shadow! Is that right my reproduction is a bit fuzzy!
Put me out of my misery, tell me where it is! Cheers John.

Edbear
19th April 2006, 22:07

Unless, of course, you've had the priviledge of going down there! The great thing about NZ, is we've basically got two country's in one! The SI is just gorgeous! And so different from the North, yet the North has its own beauty. We've also fallen in love with the far North. I just wish, as we all most likely do, that we could quit work and just tour around this amazing country!

Blairos
19th April 2006, 22:14
That picture looks to me like, Mt Cook, Pukaki, Ruataniwha and the canal system with Twizel obscured by the cloud shadow! Is that right my reproduction is a bit fuzzy!
Put me out of my misery, tell me where it is! Cheers John.

You are right on the money :)

ajturbo
20th April 2006, 08:51
Absolutely. As a former Mainlander, I can guarantee that the ride to Milford in wet weather is bloody awesome.:yes:

a few years ago we took the car down for a trip ( we lived in nelson), we were away for 2 weeks in and around milford.... we got home and the next day we got on the bike and did the whole trip again..... sooooo much better 4 weeks away from home ... 2 weeks caged up and 2 weeks of utter freedom...... the highlight?.... central otago, suthland... midd summer

Fishy
20th April 2006, 09:14
Yep the South Island certainly is beautiful!. Sarah and I spent 3 weeks down there on a road trip last winter. We were there for 3 weeks and took 885 photos (I shit you not).

I would definitely live in the South Island...Nelson, Christchurch, QTown, Wanaka, Dunedin would be my choices.

Sniper
20th April 2006, 09:16
Wasn't as good until I moved here. It's got a whole lot better since then

Blairos
20th April 2006, 09:23
You can see why they call them the Remarkables - took this pic in Winter 04, was the perfect day...

Liked it so much I have framed a larger version and popped onto my Living Room wall

vifferman
20th April 2006, 09:25
Yes, I do.
But then I'm actually a non-Aucklander currently living in D'Auckland. I've spent nearly 7 years here, but have lived in Rotorua, Hamilton, Tauranga and Christchurch, and holiday most years in Canterbury and Otago.

But there is beauty up North too...

Here's some pix from our Easter trip round Northland.

Scouse
20th April 2006, 09:27
yup the South Island is a beutifull place the only problem is there are too many "Moaning Winging We are better than Auckland Retarded Inbred Fuck knuckles" living there otherwise it would be fantastic

vifferman
20th April 2006, 09:32
You can see why they call them the Remarkables - took this pic in Winter 04, was the perfect day...

Liked it so much I have framed a larger version and popped onto my Living Room wall
Very nice!
Here's two from last year:

Fishy
20th April 2006, 09:36
Here are a couple of pics... the first one is at the top of the remarkables when we hiked up one day.

The second is up in the Neve of Franz Josef glacier. A friend of mine is a glacier guide there and took this amazing shot. For those of you who don't know what the "Neve" is, its the bowl area at the top of a glacier where the falling snow is caught and then dispersed down into the glacier as it melts.

Blairos
20th April 2006, 09:40
yup the South Island is a beutifull place the only problem is there are too many "Moaning Winging We are better than Auckland Retarded Inbred Fuck knuckles" living there otherwise it would be fantastic

I see you would get on well with our Southern Brethren then eh? :rofl:

MidnightMike
20th April 2006, 09:42
To be honest ive only been there once. :dodge: To Christchurch.
Because i used to live in Auckland and i was told that the bombays were the end of the world. :doobey:

limbimtimwim
20th April 2006, 09:51
If we are sharing.

http://www.apathy.net.nz/si-2006/

It's slow because that is on my cable connection.

Scouse
20th April 2006, 09:56
I see you would get on well with our Southern Brethren then eh? :rofl:Me I get on well with every one. what about Invercargill Rhimes with Inbredretardville

Scouse
20th April 2006, 11:20
I see you would get on well with our Southern Brethren then eh? :rofl:South Islanders do have the advantage that if their Mother and Father get a divorce its OK cause they are still Brother and Sister

buellbabe
20th April 2006, 11:34
Actually I think you'll find that Aucklanders probably travel this beautiful country of ours more than most... Does that mean we can't wait to get out of our own city??? Hmmmm
I have toured the Sth Island numerous times and am doing a pretty good job of seeing the Nth Island as well!
We are so lucky here in NZ that we can ride all year round and there is such a diverse range of scenery. Gotta say tho, one of my favourite roads is in the Sth Is and thats the Lewis Pass, blimmin fantastic road! I just LOVE it! ...sigh

GR81
20th April 2006, 11:46
Actually I think you'll find that Aucklanders probably travel this beautiful country of ours more than most... Does that mean we can't wait to get out of our own city??? Hmmmm
thats odd, i work with about 20 people here and most of them havent been to the south island and a small handful havent been south of taupo.
maybe i work with weirdos? haha

buellbabe
20th April 2006, 11:57
thats odd, i work with about 20 people here and most of them havent been to the south island and a small handful havent been south of taupo.
maybe i work with weirdos? haha
LOL! Maybe I just know lots of travellers! Most of my friends ride and tour alot...

Lias
20th April 2006, 13:45
Bloody JAFA's

Never made it down to the milford sounds, but the marlborough sounds are pretty damn nice too!

Sparky Bills
20th April 2006, 13:52
The only time ive been down south, was to Christchurch for a hockey comp.

Going from that pic, I gotta get down there and check out the real sights!

limbimtimwim
20th April 2006, 13:56
Going from that pic, I gotta get down there and check out the real sights!Man, you'd love it. Roads you could use a litre bike properly on. And very very few cops.

Blairos
20th April 2006, 14:02
I have, as part of a cunning plan, intentions on being in the Sth Island in say, Late Feb next year, to do a 2 or 3 week motorcycle ride throughout the WHOLE South Island.

And not on a 250 either :)

:rockon:

limbimtimwim
20th April 2006, 14:16
I have, as part of a cunning plan, intentions on being in the Sth Island in say, Late Feb next year, to do a 2 or 3 week motorcycle ride throughout the WHOLE South Island.And not on a 250 either :)I did it 2 years ago: On a VTR250!

Blairos
20th April 2006, 14:19
I did it 2 years ago: On a VTR250!

I am sure my arse would fall off if I did a trip like that on my VTR250, the trip from AKL to Welly alone would be enough! LOL

oldrider
20th April 2006, 20:38
I have just walked in the door after riding home up the Waitaki valley in the dark, crisp night air. The sky was full of stars and the mountain skylines were sharply evident against the horizon all around me. Clear evidence that winter is quickly approaching!
There was stuff all traffic on the road to spoil the tranquility that was almost all ours. Just me, the bike and the ample supply of potential road kill chancing their arm in the lights.
The bike was just purring along so sweetly and seemed to be saying, see, there is no need to pay so much attention to that smart arsed flashy Honda ST1300 in the shop in Dunedin, I can do it, I can do it! Trust me, trust me!
See how well I do the things you like. Keep me, keep me, it said over and over.
I put it away in the shed when we got home and the deep feeling of satisfaction of something well done together, tells me I might just listen to the wee fella after all.
I really do enjoy the TransAlp it seems to punch above it's weight and try really hard at whatever I ask it to do! :yes:
Cheers John (Must be feeling romantic tonight) :love:
PS: If I had to choose somewhere specific to live in New Zealand, It would definitely be somewhere between Cape Reinga and Bluff including Auckland!

oldrider
20th April 2006, 20:52
You are right on the money :)
Thank you, I probably could have seen the plane out of my livingroom window as you took the picture! :yes: Cheers John.

Jantar
20th April 2006, 21:34
Im currently visiting the South Island for my Sis's B-Day, she lives in Ngapara, just out of Oamaru.

She has taken me for a bit of sight seeing and its blown me away :yes:
The South Island is stunning! What a truly awesome country we have.

No, Don't believe a word of it. You just happened to be in Ngapara on the one day in the year that there was no black ice, and it didn't snow.

The roads down here are all dead straight narrow gravel tracks. There is no sealed road anywhere, and the people are very unfriendly.

Duelling Banjos is the favourite tune in most areas.

Stay in Auckland. Don't venture south of the Bombay hills. It is boring and very dangerous. :nono:

For christ sake Southerners. Don't let out our secrets so easily. We'll be invaded. :yes:

Jantar
20th April 2006, 21:38
i used to live in Oamaru!... .... i hated my time there,.....

See North Islanders... Listen to AJTURBO and don't bother with us Mainlanders. Its terrible down here. :eek:

Jantar
20th April 2006, 21:47
OK, I give up. I'm obviously outnumbered.

The South isn't such a terribble place, and its not always snowing, although we did see snow on the ground twice last year. There are some nice sealed roads and a few gravel ones if you go look for them. And the scenery is quite stunning. In fact we look at the back of the Remarkables, and can see nine other mountain ranges from our lounge.

There are other types of music than the fiddle playing duelling banjos, and not everyone is related.

But stay away..... unless you like good motorcyling, great company and fantastic hospitality.. :nya: :nya:

Blairos
20th April 2006, 22:12
OK, I give up. I'm obviously outnumbered....

But stay away..... unless you like good motorcyling, great company and fantastic hospitality..

OK - I will have to control myself and stay away with the bike till Feb! LOL

Cant wait to get the usual :gob: look on my face again with all that there is down there...

buellbabe
21st April 2006, 07:23
:
PS: If I had to choose somewhere specific to live in New Zealand, It would definitely be somewhere between Cape Reinga and Bluff including Auckland!
Well said mate! (oh and enjoyed yr wee ramble too).
If I could choose and money/job opportunites wasn't a consideration then it would probably be Taupo/ Nelson Lakes District... just love an alpine climate.