PDA

View Full Version : Ny clues about setting up suspension on my Ducati?

Quasievil
29th April 2004, 16:35
Hi , just got it four weeks ago and hoped to get it into Hamilton M/c so Neil could set it up for me, but no chance for another week, So I wanted to try at least to get it better than it is before the Waikato ride on Saturday.
The Bike is a 2000 year Ducati 750ss, it has a preload and a spring adjustment, no adfjustment on the front forks.
I way around 87 kgs and am 6ft tall ( if that is needed )
I think there is a measurement you need for compression on the spring once you sit on it ?? F&*K knows really, I just dont think its right at the moment.
Also Im running 34 in the fron and 38 in the back tyres.
I know I sound like a retard so you dont have to tell me , but I want to learn about this and would appreciate your comments

Thanks heaps Guys & gals

James Deuce
29th April 2004, 17:03
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_susp_settings/#ducati

Try the 900SS settings from this site - practically the same bike.

Here's the setup guide. I used this to get the TRX handling sweet.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/

Remember to write down everything you do. Maybe even setup a spreadsheet and print out multiple copies so you can keep track of what you do.

Kiwi
29th April 2004, 17:10
Hi
or look at http://home.iprimus.com.au/stevebm/suspension.htm or at http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm#Suspension%20Balance

have fun :whistle:
see ya
Kiwi

White trash
4th May 2004, 17:19
Hi , just got it four weeks ago and hoped to get it into Hamilton M/c so Neil could set it up for me, but no chance for another week, So I wanted to try at least to get it better than it is before the Waikato ride on Saturday.
The Bike is a 2000 year Ducati 750ss, it has a preload and a spring adjustment, no adfjustment on the front forks.
I way around 87 kgs and am 6ft tall ( if that is needed )
I think there is a measurement you need for compression on the spring once you sit on it ?? F&*K knows really, I just dont think its right at the moment.
Also Im running 34 in the fron and 38 in the back tyres.
I know I sound like a retard so you dont have to tell me , but I want to learn about this and would appreciate your comments

Thanks heaps Guys & gals

I'd be inclined to try 32-34psi. What year is your bike? I rode a 2001 750ss and was amazed at how bloody harsh the suspension was. The 900's have adjustable suspension which makes them a hell of alot nicer.

Try a lighter fork oil as an easy/cheap fix.

Quasievil
4th May 2004, 17:24
I'd be inclined to try 32-34psi. What year is your bike? I rode a 2001 750ss and was amazed at how bloody harsh the suspension was. The 900's have adjustable suspension which makes them a hell of alot nicer.

Hey thank you, its a 2000, i will try 32-34psi as you say. the big problem is I find the front stepping out on me, mostly on slower speed cornering, I find it un nerving. Its a bike I dont yet have confidence on, most jap bikes Ive had dont give me this trouble !!
Hope its soughted soon though
Thanks agasin

Ghost Lemur
4th May 2004, 17:41
Hey thank you, its a 2000, i will try 32-34psi as you say. the big problem is I find the front stepping out on me, mostly on slower speed cornering, I find it un nerving. Its a bike I dont yet have confidence on, most jap bikes Ive had dont give me this trouble !!
Hope its soughted soon though
Thanks agasin

That's because Italian bikes (cars and general machinery as well for that matter) are like Italian women. High maintainence and tempermental. On the possitive side though they're generally damn sexy and a heap of fun when things are going right. :killingme

LB
5th May 2004, 05:21
I've got some papers here from Robert Taylor, the Ohlins importer in Hawera, about how to set up suspension. If you'd like a copy, pm me with your postal address. (I've only got it in hard copy). Robert gave us a hand a couple of seasons ago when a mate of mine was racing an MV F4, and gave us the info.

Kickaha
5th May 2004, 06:41

I think has been a problem with Ducati forever,My 1982 Darmah was the same as was my brothers 1984 Pantah and when he bought a new 1992 750SS it was no better.

They don't tend to absorb the bumps as much as try and catapult you off the seat when you hit then,we solved it on the Darmah with different shocks and softer spring rate,from factory they all seemed to be oversprung and underdamped

Quasievil
5th May 2004, 07:30
I've got some papers here from Robert Taylor, the Ohlins importer in Hawera, about how to set up suspension. If you'd like a copy, pm me with your postal address. (I've only got it in hard copy). Robert gave us a hand a couple of seasons ago when a mate of mine was racing an MV F4, and gave us the info.

Thanks for that offer, that would be great, my address is
Bret Glazer
28 Rossiter Place
Hamilton
I will get it all back to you asap,so send me a return address please.
Thanks Again Linda

Bret :2thumbsup

FzerozeroT
5th May 2004, 11:29
I remember while waiting for a service a while back they had a ducati club fanzine with a suspension setup guide for ducatis. ring them and ask if you can grab some photocopies

Eddieb
5th May 2004, 16:49
I think has been a problem with Ducati forever,My 1982 Darmah was the same as was my brothers 1984 Pantah and when he bought a new 1992 750SS it was no better.

They don't tend to absorb the bumps as much as try and catapult you off the seat when you hit then,we solved it on the Darmah with different shocks and softer spring rate,from factory they all seemed to be oversprung and underdamped

They didn't change it for the 93 888 either. I've having to look at new spring rates etc.

duckman
5th May 2004, 17:30
The plate isn't 44UGL by any chance ?? :rolleyes:

Quasievil
5th May 2004, 17:36
The plate isn't 44UGL by any chance ?? :rolleyes:

No its not that number plate ,why you ask ??

Quasievil
5th May 2004, 17:37
For a quick ride after pumping up the rear sring to maximium and it felt good, the front didnt step out at all on low speed cornering, I will get it in the end :soon:

LB
6th May 2004, 05:43
Thanks for that offer, that would be great, my address is
Bret Glazer
28 Rossiter Place
Hamilton
I will get it all back to you asap,so send me a return address please.
Thanks Again Linda

Bret :2thumbsup
Hmmm.

I now have to find the papers. They're not where I thought they were, but they are here somewhere. I'll have a concerted look tonight. I'll send you your own copy, so you won't need to worry about sending them back. I'll be in touch!!

duckman
6th May 2004, 08:50
No its not that number plate ,why you ask ??
I just sold my 2000 750SS ... so I was curious :whistle:

Quasievil
6th May 2004, 09:53
I just sold my 2000 750SS ... so I was curious :whistle:

Okay cool, so how did you find the 750ss, ie handling cornering etc, how did you have it set up?
Im keen to know your thoughts .
Hope the TL1000 is treating you well !

duckman
6th May 2004, 09:59
Okay cool, so how did you find the 750ss, ie handling cornering etc, how did you have it set up?
Im keen to know your thoughts .
Hope the TL1000 is treating you well !
Hi,

When I first got my 750 the first thing that bothered me was the front fork setup. it was waaay too hard, so I changed the fork oil to a lighter grade and this helped a little. (but not much).
Theres really not much you can do as the bike doesn't have adjustable front forks. I can suggest that you pay attention to your riding position. Make sure you lean waaay forward and keep your elbows bent. This will help with some of the "feedback" you get from bumps in the road.

BTW - The TLR is an absolute dream. A much nicer bike to ride than 750. (IMHO) :done:

Quasievil
7th May 2004, 13:38
A tweak up from Hamilton M/C, big difference, :2thumbsup the problem was in the front steering bearings, they were a bit seized up ,it was fixed and now its completely different. Hopefully now I can enjoy it a bit better, for now though on that note Im of to Raglan !!!!!!! :ride:

Quasievil
7th May 2004, 16:17
A tweak up from Hamilton M/C, big difference, :2thumbsup the problem was in the front steering bearings, they were a bit seized up ,it was fixed and now its completely different. Hopefully now I can enjoy it a bit better, for now though on that note Im of to Raglan !!!!!!! :ride:

What a difference that made, went through to Raglan and back and it was the first time I have felt good on the Ducati, now my confidence is coming back AWESOME :Punk:

merv
7th May 2004, 16:37
Seized head bearings would feel a whole lot different than stiff suspension so I guess you had two problems.

Someone has already mentioned changing springs and they would be a good idea, so just get some lighter springs even if you have to get them made they are not that expensive. e.g. hundreds of $$ not thousands of $$$. The other thing is check if it has spring preload spacers inside the top of the forks as you may be able to either remove them or put smaller ones in to get a much plusher ride on small bumps.

Kickaha said these Ducs were oversprung and underdamped, so that means get softer springs and use thicker grade oil to fix that.

If you need to alter the rear an Ohlins shock could be a good idea but I bought one for my WR and I guess price was typical it was just under $1,500 so not cheap.

Quasievil
7th May 2004, 18:08
Seized head bearings would feel a whole lot different than stiff suspension so I guess you had two problems.

Someone has already mentioned changing springs and they would be a good idea, so just get some lighter springs even if you have to get them made they are not that expensive. e.g. hundreds of $$ not thousands of $$$. The other thing is check if it has spring preload spacers inside the top of the forks as you may be able to either remove them or put smaller ones in to get a much plusher ride on small bumps.

Kickaha said these Ducs were oversprung and underdamped, so that means get softer springs and use thicker grade oil to fix that.

If you need to alter the rear an Ohlins shock could be a good idea but I bought one for my WR and I guess price was typical it was just under $1,500 so not cheap.

Thanks Merv
Im really happy about the changes so far, I will see how they go on my next long ride, I may need to do other things, but hopefully not :ride:

merv
9th May 2004, 19:12
I've posted more stuff on suspension tuning here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2914 which gives links to the Ohlins site with many pdf files available describing the principles of tuning their units which in general applies to any suspension.

LB
19th May 2004, 05:45
My Ohlins papers have completely disappeared from the face of the earth.

Look at Merv's posting directly above, apparently the stuff I had is all available via .pfs on www.ohlins.com - if you get stuck, give Robert Taylor at Hawera Motorcycles a ring - he's the Ohlins importer and he's a great guy.