PDA

View Full Version : Fork Seals

Acid
20th April 2006, 10:32
heyas i have a gsx250 and was wondering how much it would cost to do front fork seals and where would be the best place to go???
also if there any1 who could help to replace them without going to a shop ??
im just keeping my options open
thanks

bugjuice
20th April 2006, 11:18
i hate anything to do with the insides of forks, cos I've never played with them, and don't understand that area yet. But whenever it's needed, I always whip them off the bike and take them to Spectrum, and it'll cost a little over a hundy I think..

Jonty
20th April 2006, 12:49
Best take it to a shop. What it will cost will depend on what needs done. If the forks are pitted you will NEED to get these fixed otherwise you will be back doin the same thing in a months time. If the forks are fine it should be under $200.

Nolan
20th April 2006, 13:18
Hey mate

Im not an expert but another KB'er helped me do mine:yes:
If it is pitted (ie little spots of rust where the oil seal would travel over) then you need rechroming.

You sound like me in the way that taking it to a shop is more money than i can afford.

I think the best way would be for you to borrow a torque wrench (for reassembly:sweatdrop), and atleast take the front forks off, then take them to a shop or carry on yourself.
It isn't that hard you just need someone to help you and you need quite a few tools(which i dont have)

Do you have an owners manual, with disassembly diagrams and torque settings?

Im sure someone here will atleast let you borrow some tools, or even help you do it.
Id be keen to help but only if someone more experianced(sp) was actually doing most of it, after watching how its done twice id beable to do it whenever.

Oh if you had the forks off im sure it would only take a mechanic under an hour to do it:scratch: ? ie $70? Edit, oops 70 + whatever the seals and oil cost, which id buy before hand. I used motul 10W but check your manual.

WINJA
20th April 2006, 19:30
motomail used to sell fork seal and dust cover sets , ok quality as well , if you go to auckland library you can photo copy some of the manual

gixermike
20th April 2006, 19:34
Assuming it's the fairly standard rubber seal on fork leg is old and letting oil piss out when they compress. then:-
If they're right way up forks, then I'm pretty sure you don't need much more than a socket and a torque wrench to drop the front out (rope the bike up the the garage ceiling by the yokes). As the others said, if the stanchions are pitted you have to get them done, if they're clean, then just drop the front end out complete with wheel(undo brakes calipers,hang up to bike but don't disconnet or let hang on hoses). prize the seals out with a flat blade (avoid scratching chrome) then slide the old seals off all the way over the top leg of the fork, give the leg a clean, slide the new seals on, and put the whole lot Back together. doesn't invlove dismantling the leg itself.

Don't forget to check the fork oil level (pretty simple just involves a ruler and taking the top of the leg off (the bit you see through the yokes when youre riding)) when they go back on if you've lost any through a leak you'll need to top it up. It's probably the first proper work I did on my old RG125 at 17..

If they're USD forks, then I don't have a clue....go to a shop

digsaw
20th April 2006, 19:53
gixermike :slap:
L-Plate Rider umm dont think you have any idea about removing and refitting fork seals, suggest you take up knitting. :beer:

rok-the-boat
20th April 2006, 22:22
Invest your money in a toolkit and a manual and put your brain to work. Challenge yourself, you might save some money.

SuperDave
20th April 2006, 22:45
What kinda price would one look at to get a fork rechromed?

poorbastard
20th April 2006, 23:08
What kinda price would one look at to get a fork rechromed?

Yea possibly looking at rechroming a set of forks as well. Any idea of how much aprox it costs? And anyone know anyone in welly who does it?

Velox
21st April 2006, 00:28
I've given up on mine on the 250 and don't bother with fork oil now. Had it fixed so many times and got pissed off so many times that they leaked again that I gave up. Doesn't feel hugely different, but that's prob cause it's not the most 'precise' ride anyway.

Ixion
21st April 2006, 00:33
And this , with thy reputation. "Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair".