PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, help with buying my first bike

aall034
20th April 2006, 12:42
hello everyone,

how do i start ...., i am new to the country and dont know how to ride a bike (but know how to drive a geared scooter, if its helpful).

i am planning to buy a bike by the months end , after getting my learners licence , what do you reckon is good for starters

wanted to buy a honda vtr250 , but then changed to hyosung gtr250r.

and also for your learners u need to pass a basic handling skills test, am planning to take a basic handling course fron riderskills.co.nz

please post your opinions guys , would be greatly helpful for newbie idots like me.

:rockon:

aall034
20th April 2006, 12:44
and also could you suggest me good dealers around auckland

Jonty
20th April 2006, 12:46
You will be fine on both of those bikes. There is also the GN250 to consider. Have a search around these forums as there are plenty of threads on the subject.

If you don't know how to ride a bike make sure you take the introductory course before basic handling. I am sure rideskills offer this. It will give you the basics for using the clutch etc.

Good luck

limbimtimwim
20th April 2006, 12:58
wanted to buy a honda vtr250 , but then changed hyosung gtr250r.I owned a (1998) VTR250, and rode a Hyobag 250 Comet thingy (The 'naked' one) for a day and it was obvious what bike was vastly superior; the Honda.

The Hyobag vibrated, was totally gutless and had crap/scary handling. Strong brakes though, but with no feel.

The VTR is an all round better bike, it'd wipe the floor with a Hyobag and depreciate less too.

Aaron
20th April 2006, 13:01
While in at the AA last week I recall hearing one of the counter staff say that the basic skills handling certificate was required in order to book for the learners test.

Cannot remember what I did, but that sort of makes sense. They know then, before issuing your learners that you've at least done the basic skills course.

aall034
20th April 2006, 13:03
thanks for the quick reply guys

honda vtr costs around 8000

but the hyosung gtr250r costs only around 6800

what do you think i should go with

MidnightMike
20th April 2006, 13:06
Go with the vtr 250, you can pick one up second hand for cheaper than the hyosung like this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=53240008&key=105841
or this one here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=53468082&key=112611
Welcome to KB btw

Jonty
20th April 2006, 13:09
The Hyobag vibrated, was totally gutless and had crap/scary handling. Strong brakes though, but with no feel. The VTR is an all round better bike, it'd wipe the floor with a Hyobag and depreciate less too.

Is Skels listening to this?

A, you could PM Skelstar and see if his Hyobag is for sale, I can't quite remember if he has it or not.

skelstar
20th April 2006, 13:30
Im always listening. I am selling my Hyosung very shortly actually. Im in Wellington though.

LBTW is right though, the VTR250 is probably a better bike. It had better be if it costs 33% more. Having said that, I did 20,000kms (including a 9day South Island trip) on my 250 and Im a fine rider. Just ask anyone who hasnt ridden with me ;).

The BSHTest down here had a 'learn to ride from scratch' component to it anyway. Didnt have to take any intro as Jonty suggests (?).

RantyDave
20th April 2006, 13:57
wanted to buy a honda vtr250 , but then changed to hyosung gtr250r.

please post your opinions guys , would be greatly helpful for newbie idots like me.
Everybody was a newbie once.

When buying mine I tested three bikes - the two above and my SR250 (that I actually bought). At the time there really didn't feel like much difference between the three. I plain didn't like the Hyobag, particularly the tank. However lots of people have and love their Hoybags. Liked the VTR. But my riding was so resolutely shit that it made honestly sod all difference between the VTR and the SR250 so I went with the one that was five grand cheaper :)

Not sure it's the case now and occasionally regret not getting the VTR, although it would have been at least twice and maybe 3x as expensive in terms of depreciation.

It's worth looking on Trademe, there are a couple of nice 250's on there at the moment - including a (rare as shit) Hornet 250 which could be really nice.

It's also worth pointing out that you'll probably grow into a 250 inline 4, grow out of a 250 single and twins are somewhere between the two. The fours give the impression that the lack of low down torque can present some real problems for noob's at the lights, YMMV.

FWIF if I had my time again I'd shop round for a good but second hand 250 inline 4.

Cheers,
Dave

skelstar
20th April 2006, 14:06
Dave is right. inline4 250's would be a bitch to ride up driveways and get away from lights etc (for a newbie anyway). Having said that they would be a bit more fun down the line when you have your skills up and want to go fast.

You an old bastard all034? Makes a difference licence period-wise ie. how long you have to wait for a big bike.

neats
20th April 2006, 14:10
Hi, when you sit your basic handling course (BHC) they will give you a certificate. You take it with you to the AA. Um, i didn't book. It's only a scratchy test so just take in your ID, BHC & money and line up. When you get to the counter they take your details and the part of your BHC that detaches and give you the test. There's desks where you scratch it. You take it up to the counter and providing you pass, they do an eyes test, take your photo and give you a temporary license until you get your photo ID in the mail. All done .. your road legal etc.

About the bikes, i don't really know. What i can say though is the school where you do your BHC should have a few bikes available for you to do the Intro course and ride for the test. It's a good option. You can get your license than go to dealers and test drive the bikes you want to buy yourself.

Neway, hope it helps.

kickingzebra
20th April 2006, 14:21
A good bike shop is Holehot in Takapuna. Talk to Jamie and say Jonno sent you, He'll see you right, if he ain't there, the other guys in the shop are all good too, they'll normally cut good deal, and help you out with gear etc as well.