PDA

View Full Version : Buggered bikes

FROSTY
30th April 2004, 08:40
Last thursday I got talking to a young guy with a $%$ 250 (name deleted to protect the idiotic) He was complaining about about a clicking noise in his bike when he braked.
After looking over his bike there were some glaring problems
1) front guard held on by two of four bolts -and loosely at that.
2) chain at 25mm slack--measured from the ground.
3) NO -read NO back brake pads left--metal on metal
4) front brake lever had one mount broken clean off -lever only hanging on by one mount.
Ohh and the clicking noise was the steering head bearings --so loose they clicked.
I suggested he go visit A mechanic --like NOW .
After I rode off I wondered --sheesh could I have done more --The kid is gonna be one of those bloody statistics - biker killed due to unknown causes. :doh:

Jackrat
30th April 2004, 09:44
Yeah I once watched a guy ride over a curb and the whole frontend of the bike moved back and forth.I had to have a look and when I did he had NO balls in the cup an ball head bearings.He reckoned it didn't handle that well.
The rest of the bike wasn't much better but he reckoned "she'll be right mate".How some of these guys make it through the learning curve is a wonder to me.Ya' just got'a help when ya' can I guess.
And now having said that I did 800kms in three days around the south Waikato last week.The day after I got home I pulled the bike out to wash polish an check ect and the tail light fell off as I pushed her out the shed.
Dang that could of been embarrasing :o

MikeL
30th April 2004, 11:11
Last thursday I got talking to a young guy with a $%$ 250 (name deleted to protect the idiotic) He was complaining about about a clicking noise in his bike when he braked.
4) front brake lever had one mount broken clean off -lever only hanging on by one mount.
Ohh and the clicking noise was the steering head bearings --so loose they clicked.
After I rode off I wondered --sheesh could I have done more --The kid is gonna be one of those bloody statistics - biker killed due to unknown causes. :doh:

I don't suppose you noticed whether he had a current WOF??

FROSTY
30th April 2004, 12:56
I don't suppose you noticed whether he had a current WOF??
Nope i was too gobsmacked at the rest of the bike :doh:

RiderInBlack
30th April 2004, 14:57
Fuck that scary:gob:It's bad enough coming back in from a ride and finding something wrong, knowing that you thought that you checked it over well before you went out. Guys like those definitely have a death wish:no:

marty
30th April 2004, 15:17

have a look at this thread xj
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1887&highlight=awamutu

DEATH_INC.
30th April 2004, 17:03
And now having said that I did 800kms in three days around the south Waikato last week.The day after I got home I pulled the bike out to wash polish an check ect and the tail light fell off as I pushed her out the shed.

I had a front brakepad fall out of the turbo :gob: (original front end) after a hard ride up to wellsford once when I rolled it back into the shed afterwards....

FROSTY
30th April 2004, 17:11
have a look at this thread xj
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1887&highlight=awamutu
Shudders--- Bugger thats the kinda thing I was worried about.
Ok now feel like a total shithead :argh:

FROSTY
30th April 2004, 17:15
Actually I must admit to working on an xj900 late one night.
Brake lever had too much play so I tightened the bolt up a turn or three.
Next day The bike got slower and slower on the way to work .
Then I touched the brakes and ended up on my ass in the road.
Yup the disks wer glowing red hot and yep I felt like a friggen eejut.
Many years later Im especially careful on that front :gob:

merv
30th April 2004, 18:56
The day after I got home I pulled the bike out to wash polish an check ect and the tail light fell off as I pushed her out the shed.

Bolts come out due to vibration?

marty
30th April 2004, 19:41
you know what xj? if i hadn't fixed it, maybe he would have pushed it into the nearest offal hole. he was in charge of his own destiny. if your 250 dude is lucky, he will be too.

Jackrat
30th April 2004, 20:13
Yep you got that right.
That's pretty much par for the course with this bike.Things will come loose if their not checked regularly.It happens a bit if you disturb things as well.
When I had the engine out to do the cam chain I went over every thing a few times to make sure it was cool, then as I slowed for a corner I heard a tinkle sound an saw a bolt shoot across the road.The bolt was a #8 which on this bike is an engine mounting bolt.There are no other #8s on the bike and I couldn't find a missing one anywhere so I think now that it was on the road and I just ran it over.I still have the bolt in my tool kit,,,
bit of a worry :spudwhat:

dangerous
30th April 2004, 20:53

Ohhhhh..... its a twin thing I think.
Part of a preflight on the Guzzi is to check the usuals for comming lose, the idiot light covers, the air box mounts and even the sub frame bolts would wounder out every now and again, but at least on the return ride they would wind them selves back in.

But nothing would be as bad as those bloody Buels..... one mate was always replacing things not cos they fall out but cos every thing breaks on em.... never follow a Buel cos at some stage you will have to avoid the pipe bouncing down the rd at ya, as it breaks a weld again.

k14
30th April 2004, 21:35
Nothing a bit of locktite can't fix.

pete376403
30th April 2004, 21:38
And nyloc nuts where they can be fitted, not to forget drilling and safety wiring (which looks really cool when done properly)

(Neither of which will prevent mufflers falling off because of broken welds)

Jackrat
30th April 2004, 22:17
And nyloc nuts where they can be fitted, not to forget drilling and safety wiring (which looks really cool when done properly)

(Neither of which will prevent mufflers falling off because of broken welds)
I once had a muffler off a Bonnie go whizzzing past my head after it came off the bike in front of me.I also lost the gear change lever off a Bonnie I owned,
Had to ride from Thames to Hamilton in top gear.
One funny thing that came off was the ring around the head light switch on a 3TA Triumph I had.I saw it unwind as I was riding along,then it just pinged off into space.And then there was the gear box plug on the same bike,I thought it was marking it's spot a bit more than normal :shit:
That bike vibrated so bad your feet would go numb on the pegs after about half an hour.And then there was the T500 Suzuki's,Mufflers,tail lights,head lights,wheel nuts.Oh yeah it's a twin thing for sure.

RiderInBlack
1st May 2004, 08:39
I've had a pair of week old mineral Back Brake pad decindergrate on my VFR750 during a fang around Coromandel (they had plenty of meat on them before I went on the ride. Will only put cintered pads on my bikes now.

DEATH_INC.
1st May 2004, 09:20
Ohhhhh..... its a twin thing I think.
Nope,not just twins,in the 18 months I owned the ZX12 it lost at least 1/2 doz bolts( even after a checkover tighten after I noticed the first...),the worst being the upper engine mount bolts which back out into the radiator....... :eek5:

Wonko
1st May 2004, 12:36
Currently fixing up the GPZ and finding all sorts of things that are missing or done on the cheap.
No gaskets on the exhust. None, nada, nix. :brick:
Top bracket that holds on the top fairing and instrament panel only held on with 2 of 3 bolts.
Lower bracket is broken and only held on with 2 of 4 bolts, and the missing two were hidden behind the fairing, and couldn't work their way lose with it on.
Fan thermostate wires is 3 pieces of wire, one of which is just that, copper wire. :Oops: Always wondered why the fan whould come on sometimes when I just sat on it.
Air box held together with 2 of 4 screws, both different types.

Posh Tourer :P
1st May 2004, 17:54
As much as we checked the bolts on the beemer, the subframe bolts have still come loose, as have many other things after the rebuild eg indicator idiot light, and a few other minor little screws and things