PDA

View Full Version : Ticketing by radar

photonman087
21st April 2006, 00:41
Hi all.

I was recently ticketed on my was down to Rotorua by the officer on the other side of the road. The charge was for doing 70 in a (temporary) 50 zone.

Thing is, the officer wouldn't show me, when I asked, the speed on her radar. She simply told me that she'd already reset it, even though she'd just gotten back in to her car after handing me the ticket.

I'm quite sure that she wasn't actually using her radar or laser, as my detector didn't give any signals.

Can I get off on this? I would normally take a ticket if I deserved it, but in this case, I really don't think I do, as I really wasn't speeding...really.

u4ea
21st April 2006, 00:46
................dodgy cop????how much traffic was there,rotos pretty busy...................................ide be sending her a packet of girl guide biscuits and a browny point

VasalineWarrior
21st April 2006, 00:59
If they cant prove it, and you wern't actually speeding then you have a legitimate case to contest. Write in and tell them they can see you in court to discuss the mater further. Costs $50 bucks, but its worth it just to get another one of the bastards off the road since they'll have to be at the court appearance also

GR81
21st April 2006, 07:17
if it comes down to your word vs theirs... there is no doubt in my mind who would win out. :second:

Felicks
25th April 2006, 21:24
I've dealt with these sorts of offences. Speeding matters less than 50km/h over the posted limit are generally dealt with by JP's. (Judges don't waste thier time dealing with non imprisonment matters).

ROADSIDE
True - you don't have to see the actual speed reading but it's good practice and sometimes avoids arguments.

If it happens again you can consider asking "politely" if the officer has calibrated the device at the start of their shift and filled in the log book. Possibly ask to see it although this can get them wound up so do it tactfully. Ask what speed they were doing at the time they locked you. The hawk and stalker does state display that and they have to put it on the back of their copy of the ticket anyway. Not surprisingly, sometimes the cop's speeding too - and that can give you a good out to a ticket. I can't remember with the Stalker but with a Hawk you shoud be able to see their speed flashing on the screen too (not just yours). If theirs is not - I'd suggest they are hiding it for a reason and there is a button in the right hand bottom corner that does exactly that!

COURT
Bearing that in mind, JP's are unpredictable creatures. So if you chose to defend the matter try to speak to/phone the officer first and see if you can sweet talk them - don't get nasty - it won't help believe me. Failing that write a letter to the PIB (Police Infringement Bureau) in Wellington asking that the matter be reviewed. That way the send a copy of your letter to the issuing officer requesting responce. If the officer sticks to their guns then you have to bite the bullet and decide whether or not you wish to defend the charge in court or not.

Ultimately their decision will come down to your credibility v's the officers. Generally the officer's is accepted. However, if you can show that there was minimal or no other traffic on the road at the time, conditions were fine etc that will help. You may not win but thats the gamble.

Here's a story that may help you - a guy was done for speeding. He went and got his speedo calibrated and sure enough it was out (as most are). He paid to get the speedo recalibrated and produced the receipt to the court and got off!

He was seen to be apologetic and got off his butt and did something about it. Can't remember what the cost was but I'm sure it was less than the ticket and he didn't end up with the demerits!

You were only 20 over the limit (1 more km/h and it'd have cost you more as the the next step is 21 to 25km), so the fine isn't very high - I guess thats something you'll have to weigh up.

Generally court costs are $130 but sometimes JP's charge about half that - as I say, they are unpredictable.

What ever you do, remember you only have 4 weeks from the date of the offence to decide if you wish to defend it. You can ask for a defended hearing after that but it starts to get tricky and the courts/police can turn you down.

Good luck.

WINJA
25th April 2006, 21:35
can you find out where the cop lives and talk to her about it at her home , or talk to the cops mum

photonman087
26th April 2006, 14:09
Thanks for all ,I will writing a letter first and see how is going.

Felicks
26th April 2006, 16:48
Maybe you could meet her OR her mother, at a Motel room somwehere to discuss it at length. Me thinks that 'you' may be on the receiving end though...