PDA

View Full Version : Jap cruisers

FROSTY
30th April 2004, 18:22
Which of all the jap cruisers do you rate as the best.
Me I've been lucky enough to ride a few -along with some outa here sports bikes.
Of all the cruisers ive ridden the virago 1100 rates my vote. Twin disks on the front a v twin -preferably with slightly loud pipes and a comfortable riding position if ya wanna get spirited with ya riding.

Holy Roller
30th April 2004, 19:10
the XVS Dragstar 1000 is an awesome looking bike
but may trade up to an VN, VL, VZ 800 or larger one day

madandy
30th April 2004, 19:20
Suzuki Intruder( shudders at name) reads pretty well but to be honest the only cruiser I've ever ridden was a sr 250:bye:

marty
30th April 2004, 19:34
i tested a kwaka vulcan a few months ago. 1500cc, and a beast. too easy to scrape the pegs though. i also rode a polaris v-twin, nice and smooth it was, but the finish on it was pretty shady. virago is too short for me. i reckon the closest i'd get to being happy with a cruiser is a cb1300 or bandit 1200

Motu
30th April 2004, 20:45
I haven't ridden any modern cruisers,just the 80s stuff like Viragos,Savages and Intruders,they're ok and it's kinda fun to scrape along at low speeds.

I was unfortunate enough to know Judy Volare - I'm a short arse but could tuck her under my armpit.She rode a Virago 1100 around Australia,well she started on a Suzi 250 but soon dumped it for the Virago.Her husband Mack had a XJ750 or maybe 850 triple,they got so used to them they brought them home.We had to sit through an evening of a ''this is me'' slide show,but I wasn't bored - bloody hell,she took this thing up the Birdsville Track,a lot of young guys have trouble there on all out dirt bikes.Just goes to show that arogance can over come the short comings of your bike.

White trash
1st May 2004, 09:17
Best Jap cruiser.........hmmmmmmmm.

I'd say it would have to be the Suzuki LC1500. Awesome, imposing bike that makes a fatboy look like a scooter. Lovely ride too.

The Valkyrie looks cool but I haven't ridden one yet.

James Deuce
1st May 2004, 09:54
I like the Yamaha Road Star Warrior - naff name, but I like its looks. I also like The Kawasaki Mean Streak (which there is a Suzuki version thereof), and the Valkyrie also. The Honda VT750DC looks like a good deal at the moment.

Mrs Hitcher has a Suzuki 800 Volusia (sp.?) which is very good looking too.

Hitcher
1st May 2004, 13:55
Mrs H rides a Suzuki VZ800K3 Marauder. At first glance there is a lot of choice in "metric" cruisers, but the possibilities start to constrict once some selection criteria are applied (funny that).

No spokes: There goes the Kawasaki VN800, the Honda 750 Shadow, the little Suzuki Intruder and the god-awful Suzuki Savage 650. That leaves the Marauder as the only contender in the "entry level" class.

As size increases to 1500cc or larger, you can impose selection criteria based on drive train -- do you want chain, belt or shaft? Given that shaft effects are more pronounced on a cruiser (thanks to shaft length and softer suspension), you need to think carefully as to how much brown you want in your pants when throttling off in corners that you're already leaned over in...

toads
1st May 2004, 14:06
this is awesome, reading your responses to this thread, I confess to complete ignorance about this subject except to say I just totally LOVE big cruiser bikes and one day....., oh well, I've got to say to have one of those big marauders or intruders would be heaven, not that I've ridden one, they just look and sound fantastic, keep the opinions coming, I'm saving them for future reading when I win lotto!! :cool:

pete376403
1st May 2004, 14:14
Unless it is wanted for a totally form-over-function purpose, Id say avoid the Yamaha Royal Star (car). With a totally emasculated V-max engine, the starter motor on my GS has got more grunt that these things

jrandom
2nd May 2004, 16:56
Only cruisers I've ridden, both jappas of course, were a GZ250 and a Virago 250.

The Virago felt like it made about 10hp. It was just *wrong*. Wheezy pretentious little motorcycle. The GZ, as far as I can tell, is just a half-pint VS (Intruder) wrapped around a GN250 engine, neither of which are bad bikes at all, in spite of the opprobrium cast toward GNs by people with Respectable Motorcycles. I had it for three days on loan from Holeshot and TBH I developed a sneaking affection for it in spite of its inability to negotiate a roundabout without dragging pegs. I wouldn't discourage a learner from a GZ if they liked cruisers and wanted to get a big one with their full 6 license.

Also, Bandits and CBs are not cruisers. They're 'standards'. Like XJRs. As opposed to 'nakeds' (eg, a Z1000, SVwhatever, or Brutale) which are unfaired sprotbikes. Got all that? :p

Hitcher
2nd May 2004, 17:09
The best of the 250 cruisers is the Kawasaki Eliminator. These are a great ride. They haven't got forward pegs but have a reasonably upright riding style thanks to the "Jesus bars". Six-speed box with lots of lug from the in-line twin. Quite flickable and a low seat height makes these an ideal entry 250 for lady riders. Great gas mileage too.

marty
2nd May 2004, 17:48
they are a 'close' as i'd get to one i reckon......

the missus has just put a VN1500 on my trademe watchlist though...grrrrr

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=11100988

SPman
3rd May 2004, 10:24
Honda VT1100 has got a good rep. Mates got a VTX1800, which replaced a Valkyrie and he reckoned his VT1100 is a better all round bike than any of them.
But of course, this is just hearsay, not haven ridden any of them.

scumdog
3rd May 2004, 11:54
Suzuki Intruder( shudders at name) reads pretty well but to be honest the only cruiser I've ever ridden was a sr 250:bye:
A few of my riding mates have Intruders and the biggest fun shit fight is when two of them get to the next pub- they keep the rest of us in stitches laughing at them arguing who was faster and why - you have to be there :yeah:

jrandom
3rd May 2004, 18:06
Is it just me, or is 'Intruder' the most homo-erotic motorcycle model name EVER?

Hitcher
4th May 2004, 09:15
Is it just me, or is 'Intruder' the most homo-erotic motorcycle model name EVER?

I think it's just you mate! Now if it was called a "Piledriver" you may have some valid concerns...

georgedubyabush
4th May 2004, 20:22
Suzuki does have the bandit aswell...

RiderInBlack
4th May 2004, 21:25
Crissi (Prez of the BOP CC) has a Suzuki 800 Marauder. It howls like the hounds of Baskaville. It always cracks me up:lol: when the HD boys complain that it's too loud:whistle: She rides it well and often puts them in their place. They are still trying to con her in to buying a HD, but:spudwhat: She just laughs, as the Marauder has not had to go the the workshop as often as most of their bikes have.

RoadStar
4th May 2004, 21:41
I think that the Yamaha XV1600 / RoadStar is one of the best, but I might be biased!

Motu
4th May 2004, 21:52
You could be right - that motor looks like it was chiseled out of a solid block of alloy!

Holy Roller
4th May 2004, 22:04
I think that the Yamaha XV1600 / RoadStar is one of the best, but I might be biased!
You use this as a daily commute or for weekend rides? :ride:
I'm not sure how something that big would handle the daily ride. They feel like a battle ship to sit on Yet to take one for a test ride. 2 B honest I feel a bit intimadated to take one out. I think a 1000 would be my limit untill I got used to it of course then maybe ;) :Punk:

RoadStar
4th May 2004, 22:20
For such a big bike (332kg) she handels fine but you have to remember that she is a cruiser. Awsome torque and with a few more mods power to burn.

scumdog
4th May 2004, 22:38
Crissi (Prez of the BOP CC) has a Suzuki 800 Marauder. It howls like the hounds of Baskaville. It always cracks me up:lol: when the HD boys complain that it's too loud:whistle: She rides it well and often puts them in their place. They are still trying to con her in to buying a HD, but:spudwhat: She just laughs, as the Marauder has not had to go the the workshop as often as most of their bikes have.

What problems have the H-D riders had with their bikes? or is it just to get more chrome fitted? :doh:

RiderInBlack
5th May 2004, 07:27
What problems have the H-D riders had with their bikes? or is it just to get more chrome fitted? :doh:Too numerious to list:bleh: But remember Keith (one of the BOP CC) saying he feel like a real HD owner after having to take his new HD to the shop to get repeared not long after replacing the Hyabusa with it (felt it was time he slowed down):doh: :lol:

scumdog
5th May 2004, 08:41
Too numerious to list:bleh: But remember Keith (one of the BOP CC) saying he feel like a real HD owner after having to take his new HD to the shop to get repeared not long after replacing the Hyabusa with it (felt it was time he slowed down):doh: :lol:
Must be bad karma up there, I'll let you know the first time any of my H-D riding mates have to take their bikes in to get fixed (or for that matter any of my non H-D owning riding mates).
Saw the first H-D stuck at the side of the road for I don't know how long on the way back from the Off the Rails rally - had tossed a drive belt, he was with other bikes so i didn't stop- had he been alone I would have, regardless of bike type.
Anyone who doesn't stop for ANY bike rider is in danger of being put in the same catagory as a someone who won't help another person when they need it just because they are wearing a pounamu pendant or a black jerseyf or lava-lava etc. :disapint:

White trash
5th May 2004, 08:48
Must be bad karma up there, I'll let you know the first time any of my H-D riding mates have to take their bikes in to get fixed (or for that matter any of my non H-D owning riding mates).
Saw the first H-D stuck at the side of the road for I don't know how long on the way back from the Off the Rails rally - had tossed a drive belt, he was with other bikes so i didn't stop- had he been alone I would have, regardless of bike type.
Anyone who doesn't stop for ANY bike rider is in danger of being put in the same catagory as a someone who won't help another person when they need it just because they are wearing a pounamu pendant or a black jerseyf or lava-lava etc. :disapint:

What I've found with HDs is that when they have a problem, you can normally limp home. (Unless it's a broken belt)

I've even ridden with a guy who replaced a head gasket at the roadside.

pete376403
5th May 2004, 10:25
Does anyone do chain conversions for the belt drivers?

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 11:36

I've seen a link somewhere for chain conversions for Buells. I presume there is something somewhere for Hardleys as well?

Deebeeriz
14th May 2004, 20:55
What I've found with HDs is that when they have a problem, you can normally limp home. (Unless it's a broken belt)

I've even ridden with a guy who replaced a head gasket at the roadside.
I broke a belt on my savage in paeroa and wrapped figlass duct tape around it until in would not fit between the pulley and crankcase, got back to auckland and thought this mod would last forever but it unfortunately it rained,

marty
14th May 2004, 22:21
Too numerious to list:bleh: But remember Keith (one of the BOP CC) saying he feel like a real HD owner after having to take his new HD to the shop to get repeared not long after replacing the Hyabusa with it (felt it was time he slowed down):doh: :lol:

replacing a busa with a HD? what was he thinking?

RiderInBlack
15th May 2004, 08:06
replacing a busa with a HD? what was he thinking?Getting old and didn't want a ugly old Gold Wing:msn-wink:

rodgerd
15th May 2004, 16:49

Nope.

But then I ride a Bandit.

(When I was shopping for my first road bike I said to my wife, "You know, all these names sound like they were designed to go with some sort of butt-related term. Anal Intruder. Bum Bandit. And so on.)

pete376403
15th May 2004, 17:53
trail bikes used to be referred to as mud pluggers but I suppose that's beyond the pale now

Mongoose
13th June 2004, 09:53
do you want chain, belt or shaft? Given that shaft effects are more pronounced on a cruiser (thanks to shaft length and softer suspension), you need to think carefully as to how much brown you want in your pants when throttling off in corners that you're already leaned over in...[/QUOTE]

Best you modify your riding style if you have to throttle off in corners, always thought of this as a big *No No* at the best of times. The torgue pull, or push depending on throttle on/off position, is in my opinion always way over rated, mainly by people that ride chain driven bikes.

Posh Tourer :P
13th June 2004, 10:55
do you want chain, belt or shaft? Given that shaft effects are more pronounced on a cruiser (thanks to shaft length and softer suspension), you need to think carefully as to how much brown you want in your pants when throttling off in corners that you're already leaned over in...

Best you modify your riding style if you have to throttle off in corners, always thought of this as a big *No No* at the best of times. The torgue pull, or push depending on throttle on/off position, is in my opinion always way over rated, mainly by people that ride chain driven bikes.

True. It certainly forces you to guts it out and throw the bike in a bit further. I've been very surprised by how far the beemer can go, just because I threw it in harder cos "one shouldnt throttle off". Having said that, riding the beemer makes all dangle angles seem small compared to the ZXR400 which feels like I'm already in knee down territory whenever I corner. Perhaps this efffect is even more pronounced in cruisers? You just dont feel the dangle angle?

Mongoose
13th June 2004, 14:18
. Perhaps this efffect is even more pronounced in cruisers? You just dont feel the dangle angle?[/QUOTE]

Could be quite true with that, I dint consider I corner hard, in fact I have been known to be has on about it, but then again others have also commented with the likes of "Fark you lean that big thing over a loooong way!" So maybe the size does count?

moko
16th June 2004, 07:14
What you want is one of these,big enough for you?

http://www.bmoaonline.com/images/oddphotos/Rocket%203/rocket3.htm

The BMW Cruisers are pretty neat as well,saw one on Sunday,custom painted with a kind of blue and white chequered paint job.It was parked next to a harley V-Rod which hardly got a look in.

wari
17th June 2004, 07:10
What you want is one of these,big enough for you?

http://www.bmoaonline.com/images/oddphotos/Rocket%203/rocket3.htm

The BMW Cruisers are pretty neat as well,saw one on Sunday,custom painted with a kind of blue and white chequered paint job.It was parked next to a harley V-Rod which hardly got a look in.

My brothers mate hasgot one of them rocket III's on oreder ...

Prison wardens must be overPAID .. ? :eyepoke:

Dr Bob
18th June 2004, 10:26
Nope.

But then I ride a Bandit.

(When I was shopping for my first road bike I said to my wife, "You know, all these names sound like they were designed to go with some sort of butt-related term. Anal Intruder. Bum Bandit. And so on.)

I have an XV750 SE, therefore it isn't a virago. I guess this was the model before it was called this name. The sticker on the back that tells you tyre pressures says XV750 Special - my bike is special :rolleyes:

However; if it was a virago it would be "1. a load, violent, and ill tempered woman; scold: shrew. 2. Archaic. a strong, brave or warlike woman; amazon. [Old English, from Latin: a manlike mainden, from vir a man]"

vifferman
18th June 2004, 12:11
I've ridden only two cruisers - a VT1100 just for a laugh (didn't do much laughing, as it was just too awful), and a VT750, which I was considering as a replacement for my VF500. A mate of mine has a Honda Shadow (after owning all sorts of bikes including an FJ1200, GSXR750, etc.) and he suggested that a cruiser was a more relaxing way to travel, after I said that the temptation to hoon was too strong.
I tried the VT750 as it was a very good price, and found the seat very comfortable, but it just felt too weird riding it, too dorky. The handlebars felt like I was steering a wheelbarrow, and I couldn't get the thing not to go CLUNK!!! into second every friggin time I changed gear (probably because the chain was seventeen thousand metres long, due to the stretched cruiser wheelbase). And then the silly saddlebags with the fringey things on caught on fire while I was riding it. :shit:
On the VT1100 I scraped my boot on the first (gentle!) corner I went around, and the gearbox seemd to be there solely for the purpose of dialing in varying levels of vibration. (It didn't seem to make much difference to the acceleration or speed).
Incidentally - many of the "Jap" cruisers are actually designed in the US, if not built there. Same with some of the big tourers.

Bob
24th June 2004, 00:27
I've only ridden a couple of cruisers as well - the 250 Virago and the 650 Dragstar.

I can see where 'jrandom' comes from with his comment that the 250 Virago "feels like it is only putting out 10bhp" - initially at least. The way it just, well, doesn't move when you first open the throttle is a bit disconcerting! And it helps, once used to it, to know it doesn't so much accellerate as build up speed!

Once you are used to it though, it is a lot of fun.

I've blown someone away on my wife's one - heading uphill at 75! The handling is excellent - my wife can give me a hard time keeping up with her on single lane country roads (she has an advantage there though - she is a country girl and I am a townie).

Definitely an aquired taste though.

As for the 650 Dragstar - I found it was also utterly gutless from standstill (maybe it is something about Yamaha cruisers?) - on the move though, it was silky smooth and a really enjoyable ride. It felt like I could have ridden forever without wanting to stop. Being so wide it is also a so-and-so when you have to paddle it manually and it is hard work for low-speed riding.

If I had the space, I'd be happy enough with a Dragstar as a "weekend" bike - SV for general work and when I want a proper hoon, with the Dragstar for longer work and when I feel like a more laid-back ride.

A Toad 2
27th August 2004, 20:34
any make or model cruiser is ok with me,but I think all cruisers look in more keeping with the cruiser style;if the engine is a vee twin.

toads
27th August 2004, 20:42
any make or model cruiser is ok with me,but I think all cruisers look in more keeping with the cruiser style;if the engine is a vee twin.

skite :moon:

Hitcher
27th August 2004, 21:32
Interesting description. Sounds a bit like "what's the difference between a duck?"

toads
3rd September 2004, 19:16
Interesting description. Sounds a bit like "what's the difference between a duck?"

what he meant Hitcher is the straight engines, with the cylinders behind one another don't look as cruiserish to his way of thinking as the v twin engines that look very beasty and have the v as a side profile, I can see the difference and I agree!! My cruiser has 2 cylinders but is not a v twin, he doens't like the look of it as much as his one

crashe
15th November 2004, 14:20
I would like to say that since I first brought mine over 4 years ago.... I wouldnt trade it.... It has fast take off at the lights.....I leave the cars still sitting there at the lights lol. and it is also great to get around town on.... Have ridden her out of town on longish trips.... and it goes brilliantly.... even kept up with the bigger bikes..... (except those sports bike riders who love to go at great speed lol) I got her up to 140 once..... 130 a couple times.. but prefer to keep at the legal speed.... I like to see what is happening all around me....

:done: :niceone:

crashe
15th November 2004, 14:22
Whats with the "L-plate rider" beside name....

I have a full license.

:Oi: :ride:

Dr Bob
15th November 2004, 14:37

I have a full license.

It's because you had to ask that question.

Dr Bob
15th November 2004, 14:43
A question for crashe and anyone else that may know.

My bike is from about 81 or 82 and was labelled an XV750 special, although the haines manual has a picture of it labelled virago. I was along side a much newer virago (probably mid to late 90's) the other day and couldn't believe the differences, besides the increase in the amount of plastic the engine "appears" to have a narrower angle V (although this could have been an opticle delusion) and the footpegs are about 1 1/2 metres further forward. The air intake is the obvious difference, coming off the side harley style rather than from under the seat.

My question is " How much can a model change before you change the name? "

crashe
15th November 2004, 14:52
Maybe ask the Yamaha dealers...... Haldanes at Mt Eden.
They will know the answer to your question..... :spudwhat:

So I guess I get to kept the "L-plate" for a while huh....dang it... :stoogie:
As a newbie to this site.... can anyone tell me how long it stays there????

Hitcher
15th November 2004, 15:24
My question is " How much can a model change before you change the name? "
If you're a car manufacturer the answer is "lots".

Dr Bob
15th November 2004, 15:32
If you're a car manufacturer the answer is "lots".
Yeah, as soon as I posted this I was thinking 'Mirage', 'Commodore', 'Bongo' - sorry last one I couldn't resist, don't know if it's changed it's just a stupid name.

FROSTY
15th November 2004, 15:43
Bob--Give alex a ring hes the xv expert
the xv has never changed its basic desighn. same angle etc
they have stuffed around with engine sizing.750,1000,1100 and I think there was an 850.
the basic frame hasnt changed a lot either
As I undestand it the xv went -XV750. (fully enclosed chain drive) then xv750 special-your bike then virago which is the chromed up version.

duckman
15th November 2004, 15:47
Maybe ask the Yamaha dealers...... Haldanes at Mt Eden.
They will know the answer to your question..... :spudwhat:

So I guess I get to kept the "L-plate" for a while huh....dang it... :stoogie:
As a newbie to this site.... can anyone tell me how long it stays there????
Not wanting to nit-pick BUT, Haldanes is no longer a Yamaha dealership they converted to Suzuki some months ago. :yes:

Hitcher
15th November 2004, 15:54
Haldanes is no longer a Yamaha dealership they converted to Suzuki some months ago.
The Evil Empire claims another scalp...

Holy Roller
15th November 2004, 16:45
Bob--Give alex a ring hes the xv expert
the xv has never changed its basic desighn. same angle etc
they have stuffed around with engine sizing.750,1000,1100 and I think there was an 850.
the basic frame hasnt changed a lot either
As I undestand it the xv went -XV750. (fully enclosed chain drive) then xv750 special-your bike then virago which is the chromed up version.
Somewhere in there is the XV500 and 535 still looking for a diff for a 26R framed XV500

Jackrat
15th November 2004, 18:48
Yamaha must be good at this type of thing.
The XS had 18odd model designations but the bike didn't really change much at all.They could of just stuck with Standard and special.
Try this.
XS1
XS1B
XS2
XS2F
TX650
TX650A
XS650B
XS650D
XS650E
XS650S
XS650SE
XS650-2F
SX650SF
XS650G
XS650SG
XS650H
XS650SH
XS650SJ
XS650SK
XS650SL
That lot covers three bikes that apart from a few minor bits are much the same.

Motu
15th November 2004, 19:08
Impressive list Jack - makes ya kinda sorry for those who own a bike that had a 6mth life span and then disapeared off the face of the parts fish.

cruzer
27th January 2005, 14:06
Me I've been lucky enough to ride a few -along with some outa here sports bikes.
Of all the cruisers ive ridden the virago 1100 rates my vote. Twin disks on the front a v twin -preferably with slightly loud pipes and a comfortable riding position if ya wanna get spirited with ya riding.
Suzuki 805 Volusia, nice ride, big cruiser feel have a look on my profile page

The Preacher
27th January 2005, 19:28
Of all the cruisers ive ridden the virago 1100 rates my vote. -preferably with slightly loud pipes.

While doing the old spit and polish on the Virago I was reading a panel on the frame.

Stationary Noise Test Information
Tested 89.0 db at 2250 rpm
Silencing System Yamaha

After reading this information seems I will not be able to cruiser anywhere within the Auckland region as it would break their 85 db limit. :scooter:

Winger
5th February 2005, 07:09

I have a 2004 Roadstar1600, great bike cruiser all day long with my lady on the back and pull like a Mac truck. Once you remeber to go a bit slower around the corners she cool . Ifound out the hard way ending up on the wrong side of the road, luck there was nothink coming the other way.
A cool bike all round for me.

Winger

Phoenix
15th October 2006, 08:27
Yeah I dredged up this post from the Archives.

I have 4 motorbikes, FXR 150, 2 CBX 750's and a Boulevard M50, I did have a 2005 GN 250 until I got rid of it yesterday after taking a ride up to Auckland from Wanganui with my Dad. I spent a couple of months taking Japanese cruisers out for test rides until a couple of weeks ago my Father and I by chance looked in AFC motorcycles in Palmerston North and I saw a 2005 Boulevard M50 or Marauder for you old hands, for $9000 2nd hand with ONLY1500km on the clock, I couldn't believe my luck as I had more or less convinced myself that this was the bike I wanted to buy all along since I started my search but was going to settle for something less because I didn't want to spend $13,000 plus the extra costs of hire purchasing one. I love the bike and am now looking at all the things I can do to customize it, As for statement made that Japanese cruisers are an intermediary step up to a Harley Davidson, I don't think so!! HD are archaic and will never in terms of engineering surpass Japanese cruisers unless they bring them up to the technologies of today, V Rod is the only one that matches Jappa bikes, and that's because it was built by Porsche.

This isn't a trash HD speech, but pushrod engines? dual coil suspension or hardtail instead of monococh suspension? belt drives instead of chains and sprockets? Don't say Buell

scumdog
15th October 2006, 11:01
Yeah I dredged up this post from the Archives.

HD are archaic and will never in terms of engineering surpass Japanese cruisers unless they bring them up to the technologies of today, V Rod is the only one that matches Jappa bikes, and that's because it was built by Porsche.

This isn't a trash HD speech, but pushrod engines? dual coil suspension or hardtail instead of monococh suspension? belt drives instead of chains and sprockets? Don't say Buell

Achaic? Depends what you want - you want fancy 'modern' engineering? then go for a Jap cruiser but be aware that Harley have 'soft-tail suspension' as well as dual shock - and Jap cruisers use a form of 'soft-tail suspension, they also use belt-drive- just like Harley (I know, some Jap cruiser also use shaft drive).
Fuel injection? Harley has it too.

Time to brush up on what Harley DOES have eh?

Anyway it just depends what you want.

Me personally? I like a 'naked' air-cooled engine, not a water-cooled one with 'stick-on' fins and a big-arse radiator hanging out on front. (That's why I don't have ambitions to own a V-Rod).

Ixion
15th October 2006, 11:25
What is it with the thing about overhead cam?

The only advantage of OHC is that it allows higher revs and hairier cam profiles.

But the whole point of a crusier is that they DON'T go for the high revs, maximum power per cc thing. Want more power? Add more cubic inches. Sorted.

A pushrod OHV can easily handle up to 6000 rpm. What crusier rider is going to want an engine that needs to be revved past that?

And pushrods have advantages. Just search this site for problems with cam chains, and tensioners.

Ditto aircooling. Where's the problem ? Multi cylinder engines are forced to water cooling, because they can't fit in enough fins on the middle cylinders. High output engines are forced to water cooling because high output engines are heat inefficient and need more cooling surface than can be fitted in with fins. But a crusier with a V twin engine (lotsa room for fins there) and low output, low heat waste, aircooling works fine. Why on earth would you want to add something that complicates things (a lot- water pumps, hoses, themostats), is unreliable (again, search the site for overheating problems, wont find many from air cooled engines), and is expensive, if you don't have to.

Rear suspension? (or front for that matter). All current motorcycle suspension (except maybe BMW and BiMota) is crap. One sort of crap is no better than another sort of crap, just different.

Juries out on belt drive, but I've sworn enough over the years at chains and sprockets , and gotten dirty often enough lubing them, that I'm sure not going to say that belts are not better than chains. What evidence is there that chains are better than belts (I worry about them breaking m'self, but people (not me) have also broken chains).

The best technology is the technology that works. And is the cheapest, simplest , easiest to maintain and most reliable. If the technology that meets that standard has been around for years, that just means maybe that people got it right years ago.

marty
15th October 2006, 12:40

I have a full license.

shit haven't we come a long way?

jaybee
15th October 2006, 12:56
nice i like the M50 to, throw some saddle bags on and a screen if that tickles ya ............. i would also own a HD they are unique to the ears luv that rumble

Motu
15th October 2006, 15:13
The best technology is the technology that works. And is the cheapest, simplest , easiest to maintain and most reliable. If the technology that meets that standard has been around for years, that just means maybe that people got it right years ago.

Ah,Utopia.....what a pity these days people don't want the tried and proven,so they take the new and unproven.....and then complain about it.

The Porsche designed V Rod??? Don't let me bring the Porsche designed Lada into this!

But I will anyway - yesterday I fixed the twin washer pumps on the Lada,both siezed from lack of use.I removed the pumps (2 seconds) stripped them,freed the bearings,lubed and reassembled.You can never do this on a Japanese vehicle,and why would you? But the Lada is made to be repaired,not be thrown away....and the tools I used? One socket and one screwdriver.

Give me an old school Harley anyday - but they don't make the one I want....I really like the look of the Honda 750 cruiser,I could live with that one.

The Pastor
15th October 2006, 18:08
Belt drives may not be better than chains performance wise? I thought the reason was belts are quiter and less messy and smoother, all things crusier.
One day when I get a crusier (tossing up next bike as crusier or sv650) i'll find out :)

popelli
15th October 2006, 18:38

yes ditched the belt on my bike 10 years ago

best thing I ever did

popelli
15th October 2006, 18:49
HD are archaic and will never in terms of engineering surpass Japanese cruisers unless they bring them up to the technologies of today, V Rod is the only one that matches Jappa bikes, and that's because it was built by Porsche.

This isn't a trash HD speech, but pushrod engines?

Push rod engines, the yamaha 1700 has these?? maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As regards Porshe designed engines, this goes back to the early 80's when the evo was introduced therefore apart from a couple of XR 750's porsche is behind every hd built for the last 20 odd years.

Archaic, why they do the business and up to recently HD had the land speed record, held not with a twin cam evo or a V rod but with a twin engine powered Shovelhead.

But you are right on one count: the V rod does match jap bikes and to quote Ozbike magazine "no self respecting harley rider would be seen dead on a it"

diggydog
15th October 2006, 20:16
i have a marauder and it's ok all tough i love the look and sound of a harley, maybe in the near future or a boulervard, who nooo's:whistle:

Phoenix
15th October 2006, 20:28
You can never do this on a Japanese vehicle,and why would you?

Japanese BIKES rarely need maintaining and nowhere near as much as HD's I was with a bunch of Harleys today and there was an instance where we were sitting at a stand still for 5 minutes with our bikes all idling, not 1 of the HD's didnt stop running.

I really like the look of the Honda 750 cruiser,I could live with that one.

I think the new Honda shadows look like the biggest pieces of shit, the pre 2003 ones Honda VLX 600/750 look really nice.

Phoenix
15th October 2006, 20:37
Push rod engines, the yamaha 1700 has these??

Yamaha has made a line of shitty cruisers too, theyre made for short arsed people and all those roadstars etc are ugly, just in my opinion

Rogue Rider
15th October 2006, 20:54
I would have to say the best looking one was my custom XV1600 Roadstar which is listed on trademe for Holeshots, but best power has to be The New M109R which has more song than Led Zep, and more grunt than any other cruiser i have ridden including the following: VN2000, VL1500, C90, VT1500, VZ1600 Marauder, V-Rod, Road king 1550, Deuce. The only thing with more snot at the wheel is the Rocket3 which has to be my next bike......

Motu
15th October 2006, 21:38
Japanese BIKES rarely need maintaining .

Not if you buy a new one every year - but ultimatly they will need repair.For those of us who ride bikes constantly in need of repair through old age,the ability to actualy be repaired is an advantage.If you like to work on your bikes yourself....having a bike that's nice to work on is very rewarding.

Woody@nztrails.com
15th October 2006, 22:23
We all love the bikes we had in the past and I managed to con the wife into letting me buy a VT100ACE new back in 97. I thought it was a great bike but looking back, I have to laugh when I think of the little touches Honda added to give it that "american" feel, no counter balance shaft in the motor and the "Made in America" printed on the back of the pillion seat. Had an HD rider tell me one day "America was the name of an area in Japan"!
In my opinion, they were trying too hard to be just like HD.
Never had any problem with the shaft drive either, thought it was great.
I do like the look of the M109 but after many years of wanting an HD myself, I would at least have to give one a go.
And yes, I wave to anyone on two wheels although back in 97 I found the sports guys and the HD riders didn't wave back much!

popelli
16th October 2006, 06:28
Yamaha has made a line of shitty cruisers too, theyre made for short arsed people and all those roadstars etc are ugly, just in my opinion

have to agree with you on that, but the viragos have been around for over 20 years so somebody must love them and you don't see many broken down on the side of the road

scumdog
16th October 2006, 08:30
yes ditched the belt on my bike 10 years ago

best thing I ever did

Why so?

Apart from a bit of stetch if you're putting real grunt through it a belt is pretty much o.k. for most bikes, - more expensive I grant you but cleaner, quieter and less maintainance.

terbang
16th October 2006, 09:00
Never ridden a jap cruiser though a lot of them look pretty nice and maybe I will get something of the sort sometime. Used to ride with a mate who had a Suzuki 1500 (not sure of the model) and he could move it along quite well. He bought a sprot bike and we only see him in the distance now. He is still raving about the merits of ground clearance. only cruiser I have ridden ws a Harley which was cool but it was old and did tend to have bits fallin off it all the time.

Bonez
16th October 2006, 15:42
Japanese BIKES rarely need maintaining and nowhere near as much as HD's BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waylander
16th October 2006, 17:03
I would have to say the best looking one was my custom XV1600 Roadstar which is listed on trademe for Holeshots, but best power has to be The New M109R which has more song than Led Zep, and more grunt than any other cruiser i have ridden including the following: VN2000, VL1500, C90, VT1500, VZ1600 Marauder, V-Rod, Road king 1550, Deuce. The only thing with more snot at the wheel is the Rocket3 which has to be my next bike......
I can almost bet you my Vmax has more pull. Need to talk tot eh guys at the MotoGB and see if they will let me take that hideous beast thing out for a quick spin to find out for sure.

Rogue Rider
16th October 2006, 18:47
I can almost bet you my Vmax has more pull. Need to talk tot eh guys at the MotoGB and see if they will let me take that hideous beast thing out for a quick spin to find out for sure.

Hey man, I'd have to agree, I had a 92 V-Max and boy it raged against anything. I had completely forgotten the torque and power it had. Have you seen the new/ old K5 limited production UK/US V-Max. It was a very streetfighter styled bike with twin under over bar lights, and a massive 300mm rear tyre. The front was a 190mm as well and it looked absolutely mean. I saw it and a write up on www.wheelsofgrace.com magazine. It was very impressive, and looked radical. Go the V-Max, but still love my M109R until they relaes a new one (V-Max) that is anyway,

:buggerd: :chase: :banana:

popelli
16th October 2006, 18:59
Why so?

Apart from a bit of stetch if you're putting real grunt through it a belt is pretty much o.k. for most bikes, - more expensive I grant you but cleaner, quieter and less maintainance.

cause it scredded itself (relatively new belt as well)

cheaper quicker and easier to fit chains and sprockets

chains are more efficeint

chains handle more horsepower

chains can have gearing altered a lot easier

chains even when buggered will get you home

chains make it easier to run wider tyres

as regards maintenance I have a scottoiler and maintenance is limited to refilling the scottoiler every oil change

apart from cleaning and my bike is more akin to a rat bike anyway and only gets cleaned about once a year if that, name one advantage that a belt has over chain

Rogue Rider
16th October 2006, 19:01
Push rod engines, the yamaha 1700 has these?? maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As regards Porshe designed engines, this goes back to the early 80's when the evo was introduced therefore apart from a couple of XR 750's porsche is behind every hd built for the last 20 odd years.

Archaic, why they do the business and up to recently HD had the land speed record, held not with a twin cam evo or a V rod but with a twin engine powered Shovelhead.

But you are right on one count: the V rod does match jap bikes and to quote Ozbike magazine "no self respecting harley rider would be seen dead on a it"

lots of bikes have speed records for there catogouries, gota call a spade a spade I guess, havn't seen a Jap spadehead yet but anythings possibe, or a fork head, or maybe a rake? I saw a Harley Bomfire once which was entertaining, however the jap bikes do burn better and faster too.....

Waylander
16th October 2006, 19:02
Hey man, I'd have to agree, I had a 92 V-Max and boy it raged against anything. I had completely forgotten the torque and power it had. Have you seen the new/ old K5 limited production UK/US V-Max. It was a very streetfighter styled bike with twin under over bar lights, and a massive 300mm rear tyre. The front was a 190mm as well and it looked absolutely mean. I saw it and a write up on www.wheelsofgrace.com (http://www.wheelsofgrace.com) magazine. It was very impressive, and looked radical. Go the V-Max, but still love my M109R until they relaes a new one (V-Max) that is anyway,

:buggerd: :chase: :banana:
Nah, never heard of that one.

Rumors about the new one though, a guy in Barcelona says he say the new Vmax being tested around his town.

Phoenix
16th October 2006, 19:59
what it is with you and ugly bikes. One looks like a buffalo side on and the others tank looks like a pregnant sow

Phoenix
16th October 2006, 20:06
BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever, I was with a group of them and they all putted out, or leaked oil, or wouldnt start up again after stopping, my bike kept running

Waylander
16th October 2006, 20:12
what it is with you and ugly bikes. One looks like a buffalo side on and the others tank looks like a pregnant sow
Me?

I like to be different. And what I consider an ugly bike would be different to what you consider an ugly bike.

Phoenix
16th October 2006, 20:16
We all love the bikes we had in the past and I managed to con the wife into letting me buy a VT100ACE new back in 97. I thought it was a great bike but looking back, I have to laugh when I think of the little touches Honda added to give it that "american" feel, no counter balance shaft in the motor and the "Made in America" printed on the back of the pillion seat. Had an HD rider tell me one day "America was the name of an area in Japan"!
In my opinion, they were trying too hard to be just like HD.
Never had any problem with the shaft drive either, thought it was great.
I do like the look of the M109 but after many years of wanting an HD myself, I would at least have to give one a go.
And yes, I wave to anyone on two wheels although back in 97 I found the sports guys and the HD riders didn't wave back much!

the sports bikes and cruisers still hardly wave at eachother, we have 7 bikes, 2 cruisers (VLX 600 + VZ800) 2 commuters (FXR 150 x2) and 3 sports bikes (CBX 750 x2 + GSF1200S)
and guys on 4 cylinder bikes dont wave much at me when Im on the M50

Phoenix
16th October 2006, 20:19
Me?

I like to be different. And what I consider an ugly bike would be different to what you consider an ugly bike.

Nah man, not you, though I do think the 109 looks like a buffalo, I prefer my M50, if they made a 109 that looked like the M50 Id be into it

Waylander
16th October 2006, 20:25
I just hate the headlight cowling on the 109. Other than that it's ok. Still looks to much like the Vrod for my taste.

Phoenix
16th October 2006, 20:30
funny you should mention vrod, a group of harley owners were checking my bike out and reckon it looks like a vrod, I like to think the M50 has it own style

scumdog
16th October 2006, 23:05
name one advantage that a belt has over chain

It was on the bike when got it so I never had to shag around changing it or sprockets in the last 30,000km?

Seriously - I only had to adjust it each time I put a new rear tyre on, the rest of the time it might as well have been a shaft drive for all the attention I gave it.

But each to their own.

PS It was a chain I broke and let me down on my old bike, so far the belts on the later ones have been reliable.

Brian d marge
17th October 2006, 01:46
What be you looking for, Me personally I found that laid back style hurt me back

If you want to cover kilometers what about an older Goldwing ??? They are quite underated buy they are quite lively !

The shadow is a range by Honda which is aimed at the the harley mrkt and the Engines are quite solid

Stephen

Or there is another type of cruiser ..................

popelli
17th October 2006, 06:17
It was on the bike when got it so I never had to shag around changing it or sprockets in the last 30,000km?

Seriously - I only had to adjust it each time I put a new rear tyre on, the rest of the time it might as well have been a shaft drive for all the attention I gave it.

But each to their own.

you have a sportster, you just have to remove the wheel and the rear shock and sprocket cover to change the belt

on a big twin its the wheel inner and outer primaries and on the FXR/FLT and softail the swingarm as well

given the 10 minutes it takes to change a chain vs 5-6 hours work there is quite a difference in either time or $$$$$$

like you say each to their own

slimjim
17th October 2006, 07:32
funny you should mention vrod, a group of harley owners were checking my bike out and reckon it looks like a vrod, I like to think the M50 has it own style

:gob: they said what,:dodge: :zzzz: :nono: no telling fib's now:shutup:

scumdog
17th October 2006, 09:09
you have a sportster, you just have to remove the wheel and the rear shock and sprocket cover to change the belt

on a big twin its the wheel inner and outer primaries and on the FXR/FLT and softail the swingarm as well

given the 10 minutes it takes to change a chain vs 5-6 hours work there is quite a difference in either time or $$$$$$

like you say each to their own

Hmm, well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, as I've said, I haven't even had to adjust belts except after replacing the rear tyre.

And the last sporty I changed the chain on needed sprockets too - and it took me more than 10 minutes !!

BTW Does anybody know if belt-drive 'sprockets' need changing at all - or do they generally not wear out readily?

jeremysprite
17th October 2006, 13:13
did anyone say MT-01? or is that a standard, or one of those other categories? I think they look the shiz. aside from that, M109.

popelli
17th October 2006, 16:08
BTW Does anybody know if belt-drive 'sprockets' need changing at all - or do they generally not wear out readily?

yes they wear out

they get sharp edges and literally shred your belt

this is what happened to my bike previous owner had put on a new belt before i bought the bike and within a matter of months belt was shite

belt pulleys are quite a but dearer than sprockets

Waylander
17th October 2006, 17:20
did anyone say MT-01? or is that a standard, or one of those other categories? I think they look the shiz. aside from that, M109.
MT-01 isn't really a cruiser. It's a muscle bike much like Sarge keeps telling me the Vmax is.

If you really wanted to be pendantic I guess you could call it a nakid sports tourer.

Bytor
24th October 2006, 08:47
Just read a good article in Bike mag about the Yamaha XV1900 Midnight Star. Looks awesome and the tester rated it over the M109/VN2000. Wonder if we'll get it here?

Phoenix
24th October 2006, 20:33
What spoils that bike is the 2 into 1 exhaust pipe and the retro styled bodykit and those HD 883 look a like mags

NUTBAR
24th October 2006, 21:17
if you want a nice cruzzer then try the suzuki ct90.
its the cusom 1500 of the bolivard series.i had the M50 800cc.
i found it lacked in power 2up with gear. i think the 1500 would b a better option.:rockon:

Phoenix
25th October 2006, 17:38
if you want a nice cruzzer then try the suzuki ct90.
its the cusom 1500 of the bolivard series.i had the M50 800cc.
i found it lacked in power 2up with gear. i think the 1500 would b a better option.:rockon:

I rode with ny dad on the back of my M50 for 10km, Im glad Id never get with a chick that weighed as much as him, made the bike handle like shit

Bonez
26th October 2006, 18:14
whatever, I was with a group of them and they all putted out, or leaked oil, or wouldnt start up again after stopping, my bike kept running
I was refering to rarely need maintaning bit it you care the refer to the quote.

topher
28th October 2006, 16:12
Gotta love the Kawasaki Drifter. That old-school style gives me wood. A not insignificant feat these days...

JESSTERx
19th November 2006, 14:05
I have ridden the RoadStarr 1600 and VN 2000, also Rocket 3..all big bikes, I am tossin up ...(LOL), oh joy..between the VN and the RoadStarr, I also tried the Boulavard...did not like, felt cheep and not well put together...any thoughts guys..
:gob: :scooter: :Punk:

Hitcher
19th November 2006, 14:40
Roadstar and Boulevard. Unless Edmund Wells has motorcycle manufacturing talents in addition to authoring David Coperfield...

And which Boulevard did you ride? There are several models in this range.

crusa
19th November 2006, 18:27
Saw the latest mean streak on the HOG poker run very nice looking bike,had a good paint job and gets the nod from me.

Phoenix
19th November 2006, 20:23
I have ridden the RoadStarr 1600 and VN 2000, also Rocket 3..all big bikes, I am tossin up ...(LOL), oh joy..between the VN and the RoadStarr, I also tried the Boulavard...did not like, felt cheep and not well put together...any thoughts guys..
:gob: :scooter: :Punk:

You rode the Boulevard M109 didn't you.

heyjoe
20th November 2006, 08:19

My opinion is the Vulcan Mean Streak. It is comfortable to ride, handles well, good brakes, well presented in appearance, tons of grunt - all in one package.

Phoenix
20th November 2006, 17:00
My opinion is the Vulcan Mean Streak. It is comfortable to ride, handles well, good brakes, well presented in appearance, tons of grunt - all in one package.

I wasn't impressed by the one I went for a ride on (then again it was pissing and farting around) it didn't get a fair test ride, but was the only 1 in town, ended up buying a VZ 800 from out of town with 1500km on it for $9000

Hitcher
20th November 2006, 17:46
ended up buying a VZ 800 from out of town with 1500km on it for $9000

You won't regret buying a Marauder. And that sounds like a good price, but I am suspicious about the odometer being in km.

Mrs H has had two Marauders. Her first, a VZ800K3 met with an untimely demise. Her K4 has now done nearly 20,000 miles. I love riding it (when allowed). Mrs H has completed two Grand Challenges on Marauders. Chuck the stock Dunlops ASAP and put a set of Michelin Commanders on. You will be amazed at the difference they make to handling.

JESSTERx
21st November 2006, 11:06
C90...1500
have bought the VN....pick up tonite,yeah!!!

MVnut
21st November 2006, 20:33
What's a cruiser?....................:whocares:

scumdog
21st November 2006, 21:02

A dude that drives up and down K road...

MVnut
21st November 2006, 21:23
bwahahahaha

Ixion
21st November 2006, 21:31

These things. here's an assortment of Jap cruisers. Not things you want to tangle with

Blue Thunder
2nd December 2006, 06:39
You use this as a daily commute or for weekend rides? :ride:
I'm not sure how something that big would handle the daily ride. They feel like a battle ship to sit on Yet to take one for a test ride. 2 B honest I feel a bit intimadated to take one out. I think a 1000 would be my limit untill I got used to it of course then maybe ;) :Punk:
I use my Suzuki C90(1500) as a daily comuter as well as weekend blatts. Can be a bit of fun splitting traffic on the motorways due to its width, but the sheer lowdown torque makes shooting the gap a quick thing. Agreed the low pegs make tight cornering interesting but you soon get used to the limits of cornering. the size is at first intimidating but again you get used to it, the balance is brilliant and low seating makes waiting at those never ending red light so much more comfortable.

okill
17th December 2006, 12:50
my vote goes for this

http://kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=VN1600B7F&do=list

Hitcher
17th December 2006, 14:07
my vote goes for this

Whoa. Hitcher like!

okill
17th December 2006, 16:16
yep as soon as i laid eyes on it hitcher i had to have it , i wasnt even looking for a road bike lol , should have it by friday this week .

Waylander
18th December 2006, 15:36
There's one sitting at Baycity Motorcycles up here in Tauranga at the moment. Was in there saturday having a drool.

SlashWylde
18th December 2006, 18:01
I saw one of these on the recent BRONZ toy run and thought it was a one-off custom untill a mate pointed out that it is a ltd edition production bike.

There is one in Mt Eden MC at the mo. Was in there today getting some work done on the VN so got to have a good look up close. Very impressive finish on it....I like :yes:

Kinda reminds me of this custom from the last issue of Heavy Duty magazine with the matte black paint and use of red & white accents:

SlashWylde
18th December 2006, 18:14
Kawasaki have done some interesting things with the VN900 too. See here (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=214&content=photos)for more.

Hitcher
18th December 2006, 19:08
Kawasaki have done some interesting things with the VN900 too.

Looks nice, but I reckon the skinny front wheel would fuck with its braking something chronic.

Waylander
18th December 2006, 19:29
Kawasaki have done some interesting things with the VN900 too. See here (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=214&content=photos)for more.
That doesn't look ad at all!

Not sure about the single front disk though, Always thought that looked a bit silly on bikes. Must be so they can show off the wicked front rim.

SlashWylde
18th December 2006, 21:17
Not sure about the single front disk though...

True, though cruisers less than 1000cc don't tend to have dual front disks. I'm just impressed that Kawasaki have given the VN900 a rear disk.

scumdog
19th December 2006, 09:14
I guess the skinny front tyre and single disc are a good clue that this beast is not designed to be a 'canyon carver' eh?

Just a cruiser and should be ridden as such:yes:

Midnight Special
12th January 2007, 22:55
Im pretty happy with my XV750 Midnight Special 83 Im sure the bigger XVs are awseome but the 750 is easy to handle for me , my Katana 650 was a bit big to control and had a couple of close calls. starter motors noisey but arent they all . i like the old style of it . cant think of anything else id swap for without lots of money ! have had some starting isues but seem to have fixed them touch wood . :innocent:

buckethead
16th January 2007, 05:56
we rode 2up on a VL1500 for about 18 mths ,great cruzer and you can load them up on long trips ,but have gone back to a 1000Vstrom because the VL is to hard work on NZ windy back roads.

rooster
27th November 2007, 20:06
I still own the 2000 VN800 Kawasaki Drifter, seen nothing nor riden nothing that comes close. Still the most comfortable motorcycle ride I enjoyed yet, just starting to add bits and pieces.:cool:

Tank
28th November 2007, 12:37
Holy Old Thread Batman!:clap:

NZsarge
28th November 2007, 15:47
I like the Yamaha Road Star Warrior - naff name, but I like its looks..

Yeah that might be a goer, tryed a M109R...like the look of them....did'nt like the way it went...nevermind..

NZsarge
28th November 2007, 16:06
New V-MAX, a legend soon to be reborn? could well be, i'm not big on criusers but this muscle cruiser is going to be interesting for sure just as long as Yamaha dont over price it.

FilthyLuka
28th November 2007, 16:43
New V-MAX, a legend soon to be reborn? could well be, i'm not big on criusers but this muscle cruiser is going to be interesting for sure just as long as Yamaha dont over price it.

its yamaha...

NZsarge
29th November 2007, 06:43

its yamaha...

It's a premium product don't forget!:rockon::bleh::D
Just bikes like the MT-01 were waayyy over priced! I think (don't quote me) you can pick one up new for around the $19-20k mark now which is much more like it...

rok-the-boat
29th November 2007, 21:13
Valkyrie, V Max - clearly the best. But I'd rather have a RocketIII.

cynna
30th November 2007, 10:27

and there was the 400 jap import version

Winger
10th January 2008, 19:28

dude got to agree i have 2004 1600 roadstar good machine lick the arse off any of my mates Harleys looks good easy to customise and if your mad enougth you can get 140HP out of her 9.6 1/4 mile out of best ones in the USA and they don't look like a space ship which can be said about some other jap cruisers !!!all comes down to what you LIKE!!!

P38
10th January 2008, 21:24
Nah man, not you, though I do think the 109 looks like a buffalo, I prefer my M50, if they made a 109 that looked like the M50 Id be into it

Mate
Your wish has been granted

Check it out

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/pre_owned_detail.asp?PreOwnedVehicleCode=669086

I seriously wanna test one of these bad boys when they arrive.

GazzaRuney
13th January 2008, 23:03
I have owned a Honda Valkyrie Rune now for 4 months - I cant imagine a more fun/mental/powerful/amazing/loony cruiser than this thing!!!!!

fredie
28th February 2008, 21:25
I have owned a Honda Valkyrie Rune now for 4 months - I cant imagine a more fun/mental/powerful/amazing/loony cruiser than this thing!!!!!

please confirm a pic of your rune . i love it:headbang:

GazzaRuney
1st March 2008, 16:49
I could if I knew how Fredie - any ideas?

Rockbuddy
1st March 2008, 19:19
my vote goes for this

http://kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=VN1600B7F&do=list

Yes now we're talking you got my vote

AllanB
1st March 2008, 19:36
Always liked the VN800 - not too large, light (for a cruiser) and powerful enough to have fun with.

Now replaced with the larger VN900 (have not ridden this).

I've see pictures of a few modded VN800's as well - my favourite is below.

AllanB
1st March 2008, 19:38
oops forgot to add the link - this time below.

Rockbuddy
1st March 2008, 19:51
Always liked the VN800 - not too large, light (for a cruiser) and powerful enough to have fun with.

Now replaced with the larger VN900 (have not ridden this).

I've see pictures of a few modded VN800's as well - my favourite is below.

I had a vn900 for a day while my vn800 was in for a service, nice ride didn't seem that much bigger than the vn800

fredie
3rd March 2008, 03:27
here is the mighty honda 1800cc rune http://www.f6rider.com/Rune/Rune_large_01.jpg :banana: http://www.f6rider.com/Rune/Rune01.jpeg http://www.f6rider.com/Rune/Rune02.jpeg http://www.f6rider.com/Rune/home.htm http://www.foxcreekleather.com/blog/wp-content/images/scarlett/brendendowd005.jpg http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photos/IMG_9050.jpg http://www.ridersmc.com/graphics/2005/30%20custom%20honda%20rune.jpg corbin extras http://www.ridersmc.com/graphics/2005/31%20custom%20honda%20rune.jpg

sandmart
9th March 2008, 14:03
Anyone thought abought the 1800 goldwing. has all the mod cons,alloy frame etc. only if you can afford one though. cheers Martin.

Rockbuddy
9th March 2008, 14:17
dont know if i would call the goldwing a cruiser more of a tourer in my books

daytona 2
9th March 2008, 17:13
suzuki vz800 gets my vote:Punk: 0-100 in 5 seconds that enouh for me!

xwhatsit
9th March 2008, 17:26
oops forgot to add the link - this time below.

That is quite delicious. Silly drawing on the tank, and needs normal lower bars, but isn't that drum brake just sex?

Do you have a link for more details?

scumdog
10th March 2008, 08:29
suzuki vz800 gets my vote:Punk: 0-100 in 5 seconds that enouh for me!

If it's a crusier and takes twice as long as that I wouldn't give a toss.

0-100 quickly is not a crusiers forte' - you must have missed the point.

duckonin
10th March 2008, 09:12
If it's a crusier and takes twice as long as that I wouldn't give a toss.

0-100 quickly is not a crusiers forte' - you must have missed the point.

:niceone: Yep will stand by that comment if you go to fast on a crusier you end up back at home toooooo fast, crusiers for crusieing, kick back enjoy the scenery to hell with 0-100 :msn-wink:

daytona 2
10th March 2008, 19:47
i get ur point but you dont want a cruiser that drives like a 50cc scooter:scooter: and its fun to blow off boy racers with a cruiser:clap:

duckonin
10th March 2008, 20:10
i get ur point but you dont want a cruiser that drives like a 50cc scooter:scooter: and its fun to blow off boy racers with a cruiser:clap:

More fun to go slower in front of the boy racers knowing you may be able to blow their car off..trouble is some of their cars well !!!!!! plus your calling the shots not them using you for their entertainment..:done:

ValkRider
10th March 2008, 23:09
1ST place goes to the 2003 Honda Valkyrie

2ND place goes to the Honda Magna

both retired unfortunatily.:(

Winger
15th March 2008, 08:06
Honda VT1100 has got a good rep. Mates got a VTX1800, which replaced a Valkyrie and he reckoned his VT1100 is a better all round bike than any of them.
But of course, this is just hearsay, not haven ridden any of them.

nice ride the VTX 1800 my choice Yamaha Roadstar 1600 handles well stop well even 2 up 350k's plus to a tank of gas and looks cool 2nd pic VTX 1300

OpFor
17th March 2008, 23:21
I have Yamaha DragStar 1100 and this is excellent bike. My buddies from our club rode around the world last year - they went through everything that Ewan and Charley passed like crybabies (I admire them, anyway), on Yamaha's cruisers, 2x DragStar 1100A and 1x MidnightStar 1300A.
You can check it on:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252332&highlight=serbian+world+team
and watch a video on:
http://www.putokosveta.com/menu/menutabone/menutabone.html

So, I don't want to say "the best", but Yamaha cruisers are excellent bikes and "combat" proven:first:

Goonrider
20th March 2008, 09:48
I rode my mates new XVZ1300 Royal Star Yamaha he bought from the Yamaha dealers on the North Shore the other day. Not really into cruisers but man that thing sounds awesme. V4 with the pipes drilled. Sounds like a bloody V8.

EJK
20th March 2008, 10:26
Has anyone own or ridden a Kawasaki 2000cc cruiser? :blink: What's it like?

Just a question...

Strider
22nd March 2008, 00:33
Goldwing is more a tourer bike.

jafar
24th March 2008, 00:40
Has anyone own or ridden a Kawasaki 2000cc cruiser? :blink: What's it like?

Just a question...

Big would sum it up pretty well :banana:

KiwiNZ
30th March 2008, 10:09
Best one at the time