PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for a rider training day.

FROSTY
22nd April 2006, 08:10
I was talking to a few people about running a rider training day at Taupo.
The idea as it stands is to book the whole track for a day.
A Normal track day would be happening on the NEW section of track whilst the old track was being used for the rider training.
Instructors would be there running the day for the ride school
The rider training would be seperated into 2 groups -Novice/upgrading road skillspeople and gonnabee/wannabee race guys.
The novice group would cover off stuff like emergency braking,braking into corners -then out on the track to put it into practice.
The race group would cover stuff like racebike setup fast lines braking points etc
I figure it would be like 20 minute sessions on the 20 off the track.
Later in the day Ill open the track up and mix you into the normal speed groups so youll be on the full track putting into practice what you learned.
How many KBers would be interested in this idea ???
I think -depending on how much the instructors charge it could be about $100-120 per person for the day

ajturbo
22nd April 2006, 08:31
i think this is a good idea...

were you thinking of "adding it to the KBTD3?"...

or another day?.. as i would like luke to have some sort of training in this area..... ( no point me telling him anything, i'll just teach him how to fall off:innocent: )

nobbie
22nd April 2006, 08:36
i think this is a great idea ,the more training anybody gets whatever there standard is ,the better and safer they will be after,so i think things like this are good

PaddyFZ1
22nd April 2006, 09:16
Sounds like a great idea, its been a long time since ive had any scary moments(not owned a road bike for 7 years), brushing up on the skills has got to be good!!!!!

bobsmith
22nd April 2006, 09:26
Sounds excellent!!!, I would definately be interested inthe novice training depending on when it is. now.... if you wanted to do that at manfield..... :)

trumpy
22nd April 2006, 09:31
Could be the go for geriatric returnees like me. Sounds good - I'd be in.

cowpoos
22nd April 2006, 10:21
The race group would cover stuff like racebike setup fast lines braking points etc

and who would these instructors be?

Highlander
22nd April 2006, 12:12
Ecellent idea.
On returning to Motorcycling after 12 years "between bikes" I looked hard for something like this. I have done a couple of track days and taken a lot away from them both but never quite sure where to place myself (skill wise), while not a beginer certainly not a racer either.
Most instruction courses cater for beginers, but we could all use experiences that push our boundaries in a controlled environment.

Mental Trousers
22nd April 2006, 12:16
What highlander said

FROSTY
22nd April 2006, 18:17
instructors wise Ill be looking for trisha1000 and possibly an assistant for her.
Ill definitely be looking at small groups -ie 5 to one instructor/pupil ratio.
Trumpy/mt/highlander ---im sorta thinking of maybee 1 on 1 sessions for guys like you
Race guys Im hoping to get a few gurus involved. as well as some experienced racers.
Folks this is an idea only at this stage --bouncing ideas around

kiwifruit
22nd April 2006, 19:40
I'd be interested in this frosty

kickingzebra
22nd April 2006, 20:01
Always keen to learn... saw a thread on some other instructors recently, might be some names to glean in there...

babyB
22nd April 2006, 23:41
I'd be interested in this frosty
yep what he said

Lazy7
23rd April 2006, 00:06
put me down for this. i would be very interested and think its a great idea.

in the short time (7 weeks) i have owned the 7R i have had to "emergency brake" 3 times and cocked every single one up.

For some reason, instead of coming to a neat stop before the car that has pulled out in front of me - i prefer to wave my rear tyre at it from about hip height - which isn't really ideal.

so needless to say i need help :innocent:

SwanTiger
23rd April 2006, 02:53
Frosty, I would be keen on the racing side of things.

One question, is it limited to those that are attending the KB Track Day itself or is this going to be a seperate event with seperate bookings, however, it is held on the same day at the same location?

wybmadiity
23rd April 2006, 03:32
Should I start saving my pennies now?! Definatly keen on this, what an awesome idea!

FROSTY
23rd April 2006, 05:10
swanny --Im gonna see what feedback this thread generates and take it from there.
Logisticly its probably easier to run it as a seperate event but running same date time etc as a KB trackday.
I see it beeing a win/win situation for the 'student' riders as well as regular track day folk.
The students get the instruction and the regular track day folk get a half ish day on the FULL track.
The increased number on the track in the arvo I think would be countered by it being a lot bigger track.
But again folks Im open to ideas here.

ZTHOU
23rd April 2006, 05:38
Count me in,I'll need a day out by the time something like this is organised.Working 7days/week sux.

FROSTY
24th April 2006, 21:06
keep the ideas coming folks

Brett
24th April 2006, 22:33
As long as nothing vitaly important is on that day, i would be there for certain. I think it is a brilliant idea. If it goes ahead, give us some dates and i will be in with a grin...and some cash your way!

slowpoke
25th April 2006, 23:35
Yep, gimmee the opportunity for some "upskilling" and I'll be all over it like green on grass. I'm keen to get involved in a bit of argy bargy racing (don't tell the missus, she thinks I'm just goin' to watch, shhhhhhhhhh!) so count me in. I'm old 'n slow so this sort of thing will hopefully ensure that while I may be getting even older, I'm not gettin' any slower!

RiderInBlack
26th April 2006, 07:28
Full day or half would not matter to me as long as I get so good input to how I can improve my riding. I more interested in going ta a track if there is someone there who is willing ta give me feedback on my riding. Love ta have some real (not stoppies) emergency braking practise, but can not do that on the track with everyone going hell for leather behind me. Organise a descent Instructor and bring it on:Punk:

SN4PD
30th April 2006, 18:35
Definitely interested. Where do I sign :chase:

FROSTY
30th April 2006, 22:40
RIB raised a good point--hands up those interested in a GENUINE emergency braking session -as in during lunch time -the point being soley to practice fast stoping --Im thinking od doing it on the dragstrip straight of the track

SN4PD
30th April 2006, 23:38
RIB raised a good point--hands up those interested in a GENUINE emergency braking session -as in during lunch time -the point being soley to practice fast stoping --Im thinking od doing it on the dragstrip straight of the track
*nz_liam raises hand! Oooh pick me, pick me:spudwave:

ajturbo
1st May 2006, 08:09

now this sounds like a good idea...CHAMP... :first: :first: :first:

i know that luke (mud boy) is there just to cause as much trouble as possible.... but he would be an ideal person to learn that sort of thing... could he take my place for this session??? yer yer i know i should be the one that goes... but he may just learn something.....(old dog new trick symdrom)

RiderInBlack
2nd May 2006, 07:29
Will not be making the May KB Track day. But if ya going to do the real Emergency brake practice for the next one I will be in. Pease let me know if ya are and where the thread is for that track day so I can reg. for it.

Rosie
2nd May 2006, 08:19
*nz_liam raises hand! Oooh pick me, pick me:spudwave:

me too! :wavey:

Smokin Joe
2nd May 2006, 15:44
I would be interested but I would be looking for advanced skills training. I am not a novice but have recently got back into road bikes and would welcome the opportunity to upskill and move into the modern age. Emergency stops sounds good too. Keep us posted.

Paul in NZ
2nd May 2006, 15:56
Frosty...

I'd be keen (depending on dates) but only if there was space for 'older' bikes. Sorry folks but bikes with big skinny wheels and big fat riders take different likes and don't stop / go as swiftly as newer tackle. I would be keen to participate BUT would not want to ruin anyone elses fun.

Paul N

Hitcher
2nd May 2006, 16:46
Hmmm. A skills refresher course sounds like a good idea. Don't know if I'm interested though in the hard-core track stuff. Or necessarily hanging around with a bunch of newbies. But something in between (cornering and braking skills mostly) would be an idea.

FROSTY
3rd May 2006, 19:58
Paul --mate your OLD fat bike would show up younger guys on soposedly quicker tackle.
Hitcher--Um given the level of interest I suspect I may have to run a upskills course as well as a newbee course

Paul in NZ
3rd May 2006, 20:44
Hmmm. A skills refresher course sounds like a good idea. Don't know if I'm interested though in the hard-core track stuff. Or necessarily hanging around with a bunch of newbies. But something in between (cornering and braking skills mostly) would be an idea.

Hmmm! Looks like H and I need to find a quiet bench under a shade tree away from the riff raff with a handy supply of refreshing beverages and a fine view of procedings where we can sit back and offer encouragement to all and sundry while exclaiming loudly "of course in OUR day" and stuff like that.

Hitcher
3rd May 2006, 20:45
Paul --mate your OLD fat bike would show up younger guys on soposedly quicker tackle.
Hitcher--Um given the level of interest I suspect I may have to run a upskills course as well as a newbee course
Frosty -- A high-quality up-skills course would be well worth a ride to and from Taupo. Even better if you could organise a bit of rain during the day...

Paul in NZ
3rd May 2006, 21:21
Frosty -- A high-quality up-skills course would be well worth a ride to and from Taupo. Even better if you could organise a bit of rain during the day...

I dunno abart you guvn'r but eyed settle fur a low quality low corst one mesself.

Hitcher
3rd May 2006, 21:34
I dunno abart you guvn'r but eyed settle fur a low quality low corst one mesself.
High-quality, low corst I had presumed was a given...