PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Exhaust

Hawk
22nd April 2006, 10:32
Honda Bros 400

I have a pin prick hole in the exhaust just after where the header pipes bolt onto the muffler on the underside.

Whats the best way to repair this?

Would a spot weld do it or would it not take because of the chrome

I would like to repair this hopefully without replacing the muffler as they are expensive.

WINJA
22nd April 2006, 10:44
Honda Bros 400

I have a pin prick hole in the exhaust just after where the header pipes bolt onto the muffler on the underside.

Whats the best way to repair this?

Would a spot weld do it or would it not take because of the chrome

I would like to repair this hopefully without replacing the muffler as they are expensive.
ROOFING SILICONE OR KNEADIT .
IS THE PIN HOLE A SIGN OF INTERNAL RUST IF SO WELDING WOULD BE A BAD OPTION ?

FlyingDutchMan
22nd April 2006, 10:54
Most mufflers have a small hole there - its to let any water that gets in, out.

Bonez
22nd April 2006, 11:24
Most mufflers have a small hole there - its to let any water that gets in, out.It's probably blocked too. Use a drill bit make it a bit bigger.

Hawk
22nd April 2006, 17:45
Nup not blocked exhaust gases coming out of there.:blah:
See want happens at the next warrent I guess.

FROSTY
22nd April 2006, 18:24
You MIGHT get away with braizing it up but as WINJA said one hole is a sighn the tube might be paper thin.One trick I've used is to solder it up with industrial solder.

Ixion
22nd April 2006, 19:37
The new old zorst I put on Ratty blew a half inch hole in the (alloy) can. I obtained an empty baked bean tin from Mrs Ixion, removed the base, split it longitudinally, painted it black with HT spray paint , slipped it over the can, and secured it with two very large Jubilee clips from Repco. Works fine, looks OK

The Pastor
22nd April 2006, 21:20
I saw some "gun gum" in a petrol station today. Apparntly its some sort of tape that can fix holes in mufflers, but it will look pretty ugmo :P best bet is to take off the muffler....