PDA

View Full Version : anyone selling a learner bike?

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 16:34
Hi all!
I have had my leaners license for 3 weeks. I'm looking like everyone else for a learners bike in good condition, more the cruiser type. I'm tossing up between GN250 or Suzuki Marauder really want to get a bike under $3,500.

Anyone selling or know anyone selling in welly or close too welly?

Cheers

MidnightMike
22nd April 2006, 16:43
Trademe, always got them. :rockon:
Not sure about the "In wellington."
Welcome to the site aswell.

Highlander
22nd April 2006, 16:49
Hi there Scobby snacks, welcome to KB.

You have said you are considering a GN250 and prepared to spend up to $3500, you can get a brand spanking new one for that. If I could get a new bike that suited my purposes (ie what I want from a bike) for the money I was prepared to spend, I wouldn't waste my time with a second hand one unless I knew the person selling and how it had been cared for.

That said, the odds are good you'll drop your first bike before reaching full licence, and if you plan to move to bigger bikes on reaching full licence you may want to get something cheaper and have some dosh left for the next one.

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 16:52
Hey thanks for the welcome!
yeah I have had a look on trade me, problem is nothing much in welly, and I would rather look over the bike in person if poss.

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 17:01
Hi there Scobby snacks, welcome to KB.

You have said you are considering a GN250 and prepared to spend up to $3500, you can get a brand spanking new one for that. If I could get a new bike that suited my purposes (ie what I want from a bike) for the money I was prepared to spend, I wouldn't waste my time with a second hand one unless I knew the person selling and how it had been cared for.

That said, the odds are good you'll drop your first bike before reaching full licence, and if you plan to move to bigger bikes on reaching full licence you may want to get something cheaper and have some dosh left for the next one.
yup know what you mean it's just that there... not really too pleasing to the eye. The GN will do for a starter I'm sure. I had a look in welly motorbike shop, there was one going for $3,300 2003 model seems like a lot second hand? or am I looking in the worng place? :) thanks for the welcome Highlander

Highlander
22nd April 2006, 17:11
www.suzuki.co.nz go to models then commuter it lists the NEW RRP for a GN250 at $3300 have seen them at this in the shops, and advertised in magazines in the six months or so.

Lotta folks don't like them, but lotta others say they are an excellent learners bike. Relatively bullet proof as I recall. Not the fastest or sexiest 250 on the market but learn to ride one well and it'll be lessons well learned for years to come. More to learning to ride than screwing the throttle open in a straight line.

Buster
22nd April 2006, 17:13
Hi scooby, welcome to the site. If your looking for a cruiser then Id go for the brand new GN. ($3300) Im not sure what the factory warranty is on them. You wont loose much if you go to trade it or sell at a later date. Dont forget to invest in some good riding gear.. count that into the price too. Enjoy your time here :rockon:

Squeak the Rat
22nd April 2006, 17:20
Hey snacks, welcome aboard. I believe the marauder and the GN have the same engine, so performance should be about the same. My only additional comment to the above posts is that the GN has a tachometer and the marauder doesn't. This may or may not be an issue, just that some people find the rev counter helps taking off or changing gear when they're brand new to riding (I'm assuming you are).

Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know how you get on.:scooter:
STR

sunhuntin
22nd April 2006, 17:21
welcome scooby.....

im biased, but id say the gn.....but crashe will argue when she shows up, lol. ive got a new gn that has safely got me from wanganui to paeroa and back and recently from wangas to wellington and back. only problems is the speedo shat itself headed back from paeroa and long distance high speed runs means the chain fucks up and rubs badly.

i did have an 86 that was a mongrel to start at night, but was in a wreck and now shes on a farm. definatly get a new gn if you can......parts are fairly easy to come by [i wouldnt hesitate to use old parts on the new bike, so long as they were ok....] think the warrenty is a year on mine.

dont forget with a brand new the price goes up for on road costs [plate, rego, warrent etc] but well worth it.

happy riding. go sit on a few 250s and get a feel for them. a gn may be too small or tall for you.

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 17:43
Thanks for the welcome and advice Buster, I'm feeling pretty thursty after my scooby snacks. You don't have a bottle of coke on ya by any chance he he

Maha
22nd April 2006, 17:43
Hello scooby, we have a 04' GN here for sale, havent put a pic on the site yet but will/can do that, it has 4600 km on the clock and will let it go $2500

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 17:44
welcome scooby.....

im biased, but id say the gn.....but crashe will argue when she shows up, lol. ive got a new gn that has safely got me from wanganui to paeroa and back and recently from wangas to wellington and back. only problems is the speedo shat itself headed back from paeroa and long distance high speed runs means the chain fucks up and rubs badly.

i did have an 86 that was a mongrel to start at night, but was in a wreck and now shes on a farm. definatly get a new gn if you can......parts are fairly easy to come by [i wouldnt hesitate to use old parts on the new bike, so long as they were ok....] think the warrenty is a year on mine.

dont forget with a brand new the price goes up for on road costs [plate, rego, warrent etc] but well worth it.

happy riding. go sit on a few 250s and get a feel for them. a gn may be too small or tall for you.
cheers that's good advice much appreciated.. have a good one!

Highlander
22nd April 2006, 17:48
Thanks for the welcome and advice Buster, I'm feeling pretty thursty after my scooby snacks. You don't have a bottle of coke on ya by any chance he he

It would appear that Buster's coke is not so much "on him" but rather "In him". :gob:
Gives having the whole bottle a different meaning.

Buster
22nd April 2006, 17:52
Im all out of coke.. but you can buy me a beer sometime. :nya:

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 17:56
do you have enough room?

scobby snacks
22nd April 2006, 18:00
It would appear that Buster's coke is not so much "on him" but rather "In him". :gob:
Gives having the whole bottle a different meaning.
very impressive! a man of many talents!!

Maha
23rd April 2006, 11:24
Dont mean to be picky but........i think that cute dog's name is spelt 'Scooby'

scobby snacks
23rd April 2006, 12:56
Dont mean to be picky but........i think that cute dog's name is spelt 'Scooby'
bugger! I'm a very visual person and I felt that using 2 b's instead of 2 o's looked better! thats my excuse and I'm sticking too it!

skelstar
24th April 2006, 09:19
Might be selling my Hyosung GT250 this week. Maybe for a smidge over your limit. Its not quite a cruiser (actually not at all) but its not a sportsbike and friggin easy to ride.

scobby snacks
24th April 2006, 13:12
thanks, my partner has one... I had a ride on it, it is good to ride but I like to sit a bit more upright I'm bit of a cruiser

Skunk
24th April 2006, 19:55
If ya wanna sit upright try a trail bike. Real cheap to drop too. I happen to have one or two you could try for size... You know where to find me.